03/18/2010 LD: "The Multiverse at War"

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Very cool to see the developer's comments on Mirran Crusader. It and Phyrexian Crusader are definitely some of the most exciting cards to come out of Mirrodin Besieged. I've always loved Paladin en-Vec and seeing these "updates" really hit the spot for me. I understand why development was hesitant about printing the white crusader, it is definitely a sick, sick card, but any creature that costs three mana and dies to every burn spell ever is pretty safe just for that reason. Given that we have hyperefficient small creatures like Goblin Guide and Steppe Lynx and hyperefficient fatties like the titan cycle, it seems like there need to be some really good midsize creatures as well.
These are seriously some of my favorite articles, I wish they came up far, FAR more often and at much greater length.

Is there any chance that old back-logs could be released to the public?
These are seriously some of my favorite articles, I wish they came up far, FAR more often and at much greater length.

Is there any chance that old back-logs could be released to the public?

There's an old article that explored this vein a little bit.  You may check it out here: Skeletons in R&D's Closet

Dragon_B: Wow, that's a great blast from the past

I do love Multiverse articles. (I guess that's kinda obvious, since I went and wrote my own Multiverse database for custom card designers.) It's great to get a peek into the discussions and considerations that the designers and developers have. I'm another one who'd be very happy to see more frequent Multiverse articles.

FWIW, I'd have preferred white Zenith to exile nonland permanent with CMC X or less. But I'm very glad they're instants: makes them much more Johnny-useful.

One thing I was wondering all the way through this article: presumably the Multiverse comments for MBS were full of references like "This needs to foreshadow the Mirran victory" or "Setup card for the red Praetor in New Phyrexia", and obviously Tom had to leave those comments out. But I'd have thought it'd be okay to say that he was leaving those comments out...?
Nice article.  I like reading about the path that some cards had to take to get printed.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
KEN 1/19/2010: I remember when I liked playing green.

Don't worry Ken, they'll kick you out of that habit soon enough.
Here, we have two Pro Tour Sunday competitors having an extreme disagreement about how good a card is after each of them had it in a draft.

So now I'm wondering whether Erik Lauer had a deck with three Contagion Clasps in it or if his opponents were just terrible at Magic. Wink
So, what's the story with Trinisphere? How was it changed? Or are they just drawing attention to the fact that it was restricted in Vintage?
Concerning "Phyresis," I thought the infection was called Pthisis, from "The Thran", or is this the precursor to Yawgmoth's manipulation?
So, what's the story with Trinisphere? How was it changed? Or are they just drawing attention to the fact that it was restricted in Vintage?

The starting comments for Steel Sabotage discussed the possibility that it can make a strong impact in Vintage.  Trinasphere is a card that wrecked Vintage until its restriction and they are concerned that Steel Sabotage may have a similar impact.  It is a very good answer to the good number of artifacts that are used in Vintage.  That is my take on the comment. 
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Concerning "Phyresis," I thought the infection was called Pthisis, from "The Thran", or is this the precursor to Yawgmoth's manipulation?

I too was under the impression that phthisis was the infection whereas phyresis was basically the state of being Phyrexian or something like that (which would fit better with what this card does, anyway...you'd expect a card based on a disease to destroy creatures painfully).

Edit: I always forget the first H in "phthisis".
blah blah metal lyrics
Nyktos, I like your logic. The card terminlogy makes sense.
There's a recent Arcana (here) that explains Phyresis, which the style guide calls "the transformation of a living thing into a Phyrexian creature."

Phthisis is an actual word meaning "A disease characterized by the wasting away or atrophy of the body or a part of the body." In Savor the Flavor (here) Doug Beyer explained that Yawgmoth created it, along with a variety of plagues and poisons, to kill things during the invasion.

So: Phthisis is an infection the Phyrexians use to kill, but Phyresis is the process of actually becoming Phyrexian. 
There's a recent Arcana (here) that explains Phyresis, which the style guide calls "the transformation of a living thing into a Phyrexian creature."

Phthisis is an actual word meaning "A disease characterized by the wasting away or atrophy of the body or a part of the body." In Savor the Flavor (here) Doug Beyer explained that Yawgmoth created it, along with a variety of plagues and poisons, to kill things during the invasion.

So: Phthisis is an infection the Phyrexians use to kill, but Phyresis is the process of actually becoming Phyrexian. 

Actually, Phthisis is originally the the affliction brought on by heavy exposure to powerstone radiation that nearly destroyed the Thran. As a consequence, they sought Yawgmoth out so that he could cure them, which inevitably led to his rise to power and the discovery of the philosophy of Phyresis.
Just wanted to confirm that yes, we do love these articles
Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*
Just wanted to confirm that yes, we do love these articles

Yes, we do indeed.

I would also like to suggest archiving these comments for each card so they're viewable in Gatherer.
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
Yes, we do indeed.

I would also like to suggest archiving these comments for each card so they're viewable in Gatherer.

As awesome as that would be, I'm going to presume that many references are made to non-public info, and so each one would need to be pruned carefully before being uploaded.

The practical considerations probably make it unfeasible

That said, if you start at say... 5 years back and just updated as new sets came out, you'd probably be in the clear.  I don't think a comment in the Time Spiral files about Kithkin coming back in the next block will spoil anything!

Magic Judge Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Rules Theory and Templating: "They may be crazy, but they're good." --Matt Tabak, Rules Manager*