Gamma Atlanta - Famine in Full-Ton

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
When I started my Gamma World game back in December, I decided to set it locally. I had an idea for a starting adventure that involved the use of a location I've gone to for my job... Fort Mountain. Picking somewhere close, that I was familiar with, I located my players' characters in Ellijay, Georgia, on the eastern side of Fort Mountain.

I have several ideas in the works for incorporating aspects of Georgia and Atlanta into my game, and this past session I finally got to incorporate a big one... literally. I'm in the process of converting Famine in Far-Go to the Atlanta area, renaming it Famine in Full-Ton, and the whole Mutant Chickens thing just fit so well with one particular landmark...

The Big Chicken

That is The Big Chicken, at the corner of Roswell Rd and Cobb Pkwy, in Marietta, Georgia. For those unfamiliar, look it up.

I found some pictures on the web, edited them to scale, "Post-Apocalypsed" them up, and printed them out on cardstock. My players loved it.

That particular picture is at the start of the encounter... 9 or 10 "civilians" being chased by 4 vegepygmy hunters and bunch of zombies. The PCs took out the zombies fairly easily, but wow, were the Hunters tearing them apart.. until the two Android characters starting using Machine Grip on them (what we call "Givin' 'em the Clamps!").
Incredible! Truly impressive!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Very cool.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

When I started my Gamma World game back in December, I decided to set it locally. I had an idea for a starting adventure that involved the use of a location I've gone to for my job... Fort Mountain. Picking somewhere close, that I was familiar with, I located my players' characters in Ellijay, Georgia, on the eastern side of Fort Mountain.

I have several ideas in the works for incorporating aspects of Georgia and Atlanta into my game, and this past session I finally got to incorporate a big one... literally. I'm in the process of converting Famine in Far-Go to the Atlanta area, renaming it Famine in Full-Ton, and the whole Mutant Chickens thing just fit so well with one particular landmark...

The Big Chicken

That is The Big Chicken, at the corner of Roswell Rd and Cobb Pkwy, in Marietta, Georgia. For those unfamiliar, look it up.

I found some pictures on the web, edited them to scale, "Post-Apocalypsed" them up, and printed them out on cardstock. My players loved it.

That particular picture is at the start of the encounter... 9 or 10 "civilians" being chased by 4 vegepygmy hunters and bunch of zombies. The PCs took out the zombies fairly easily, but wow, were the Hunters tearing them apart.. until the two Android characters starting using Machine Grip on them (what we call "Givin' 'em the Clamps!").

Speaking as one of the players in this game...awesome. My radioactive felinoid character BARELY survived the encounter in the shadow of the "Big Chicken" in Marietta. Many saving throws (all failed) finally resulted in my character making his last saving throw to avoid poison damage that would have destroyed him completely.

Now for the next adventure...

That's really cool. Do you have specifics on how you did the printing, scaling and such?
That's really cool. Do you have specifics on how you did the printing, scaling and such?

Yeah, sure.

For scale, I took a few measurements in the Google Maps satellite view, using the legend in the bottom left of the view. Then I found pictures online from people's tourist shapshots, and imported them into Photoshop, setting the Grid in Photoshop to 1". Change Grid by selecting "Edit->Preferences->Guides, Grid & Slices".

I tend to increase the image resolution too, normally setting it at 300 pixels/inch. That way, if you're increasing the size of the image, it won't be quite as pixelated as it would be if you leave it at lower resoltuions and increase the size. 

From there, it's fairly easy to change the size of the image to match the 1"=5feet scale.

If the only thing you have is MS Paint, check the "Attributes", under "Image", change the units to inches, figure out how big the image should be, then as a percentage of the current image size, and then use "Stretch/Skew" to change the image size.

The next thing I do is cut the images so that they fit at full size on a piece of 8.5"x11" paper. I don't want the image to get automatically re-sized by MS Word because it's too big. In this case, both the sides of the building fit, side by side, down the 11" length of a piece of paper, and I had to cut the front of the building in half for that to fit the same way on another page. For the Big Chicken itself, I had to make some guesses as to the size, but I basically used the original images as a reference, and made sure that it matched the front of the building as close as possible. Each of the two halves of that piece fit on its own page. Oh, btw, I only used one reference picture for both sides of the Big Chicken. I just opened a second copy, flipped it, copied the lettering from the first image (so that would NOT be flipped), and edited the lettering a little bit differently. I also change the orientation of the eyes, so that they were slightly off from one another (on the real thing, the eyes rotate around and the beak opens and closes).

Then I just import the images into MS Word, making sure to reduce the size of the margins, header and footer of the page to "0.2" (under File->Page Setup) to give the maximum print-area, and then I print them on cardstock. 

All together, I printed the following pieces (keeping in mind that the Big Chicken faces roughly west), and cut them out:

The north side of the Big Chicken 
The south side of the Big Chicken
The north half of the front of the KFC
The south half of the front of the KFC
The north side of the KFC
The south side of the KFC

For the north and south sides of the KFC, I left about a 1/4" extra bit at either end, so that I could fold that over and glue the other pieces to that for the corners. 

In addition, I cut out two blank pieces for the back fo the building, which roughly matched the length of the two pieces that form the front of the building.

To put the building together, I assembled the Big Chicken first. From above, the Big Chicken is a V, with the beak at the point. To get that V, I cut a long strip of cardstock just shy of the same length as the two pieces of the Big Chicken, and folded that strip along its long-axis. I then put glue along both outer sides of the strip, gluing it to the inside front edge of the two pieces of the Big Chicken. I also ran a very thin line of glue along the front seam formed by the two pieces, pressing them together, and I glued the two sides of the beak together too. The folded piece of cardstock gave the piece some reinforcement, and helped to hold it in the V shape.

From there, I measured back about 2" from the front of the Big Chicken, and used that as a guide to cut a square measuring out of the bottom of the pieces. This is because someone can actually walk under the Big Chicken, so I wanted to recreate that. Edit: Oh, I forgot one thing. I cut the two sides of the square out

I then lined up the two pieces of the front of the building, and cut slits in those two pieces from the top down, roughly where the sides of the Big Chicken line up on the building, so that I could insert the two sides of the Big Chicken into those slots, and it would hold it open in the proper V, and made sure that the slits were deep enough so that the bottom edges of the Big Chicken will sit flat on the table. 

Then I just glued the side pieces to the front and back pieces, and made slits in the two back pieces so that I could interlock them.

This made the whole building just 3 pieces. The Big Chicken, the northern half of the building and the southern half of the building.

I did make a roof out of 2mm foam, but I decided not to bother with it.
Wow. Cool. I am going to try and parse that out with my limited knowledge of GIMP and see if I can make something like it.

Thanks, man.