How to easily smash though walls with acrobatics!

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kool Aid

With a combination of one item and one skill power, you can jump, climb, and bust down doors with your acrobatics instead of athletics or strength.

The pieces:
Nimble Shoes - property lets you use acrobatics in place of athletics for all purposes
Kord's Force - at-will skill power lets you make athletics check instead of a strength check

From there, we want to get our Acrobatics as high as possible.

Halfling is a good race with dex bonus and bonus to acrobatics. A background with an acrobatics bonus is nice too. Agile Athlete feat lets you roll twice and take the better. Sure Climber will let you climb at your full speed with your ample acrobatics (but requires athletics training, but that's needed for Kord's Force anyway). Skill Focus Duelist's Panache is the best feat bonus we'll get here at +CHA mod. As far as item bonuses go, Ring of Unfettered Motion or Dynamic Belt both look good, Dynamic Belt giving the biggest bonus in Epic, though Acrobat's Harness will save you a feat.

In the Rules Compendium p175, the strongest door listed is forcing open an adamantine portcullis at DC 35, which is pretty easy to guarantee by mid-paragon. One standard action acrobatics check and the nigh indestructible portcullis flies open.

To pull a full Kool-Aid man, the DC given to break down a 1 foot thick masonry wall also has a DC 35, so once again, the halfling is able to almost effortlessly plow through the wall with his acrobatics.

So, hopefully some of you can have some fun with this.

Here's a level 12 skeleton build with +30 Acrobatics and rolling twice, using acrobatics in place of any athletics or strength check and can climb at full speed.

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 12
Halfling, Rogue, Master Infiltrator
Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger
Background: Athlete (+2 to Acrobatics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 11, Dex 22, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 17, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 15.

AC: 22 Fort: 16 Reflex: 24 Will: 21
HP: 78 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +19, Thievery +19, Acrobatics +30, Athletics +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +6, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +6, Heal +6, History +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +11, Nature +6, Perception +6, Religion +6, Streetwise +11

FEATS
Level 1: Duelist's Panache
Level 2: Sure Climber
Level 11: Agile Athlete

POWERS
Rogue utility 6: Kord`s Force

ITEMS
Dynamic Belt (heroic tier), Nimble Shoes (paragon tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

So as you can see, there is still plenty of room for all the usual combat related things while still having ultra mobility and the ability to pretty reliably go Kool-Aid Man (Only need a 5 or better out of 2 rolls, so 96% success rate against DC 35). The Great Leap rogue power will let you jump a minimum of 6 squares from a standstill, so that might be worthwhile too since you can you can exceed your speed with it and get as much as 10 squares on on long jump.

[EDIT]

With the Arcane Trickster PP we can do the same things though not quite as easily due to the requirements.
Show
level 11
Gnome, Rogue|Psion, Arcane Trickster
Background: High Imaskar (High Imaskar Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 11, Dex 20, Int 20, Wis 11, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 15, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 20 Fort: 15 Reflex: 21 Will: 18
HP: 63 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +10, Stealth +17, Acrobatics +15, History +16, Thievery +15, Arcana +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +5, Heal +5, Insight +5, Intimidate +7, Nature +6, Perception +5, Religion +11, Streetwise +7

FEATS
Level 1: Arcane Prodigy
Level 2: Autohypnosis
Level 4: Skill Focus (Arcana)
Level 6: Sure Climber
Level 11: Sorcerous Vision

POWERS
Hybrid utility 2: Arcane Mutterings
Hybrid utility 6: Kord`s Force

ITEMS
Philosopher's Crown (heroic tier)

I attemted to make Arcana do as much as possible in this build, which unfortunately meant not getting quite as high as possible as this level (2 points from background, though I felt the re-roll was more valuable, and one point from not maxing INT. The feat bonus to Arcana was also only +3 from skill focus, and the item bonus only +1 (+2 was available in runic armor, but half the benefits were not useful as we have no arcane powers, and Karruk's Circlet is not available in LFR. But we still have a +21 arcana that we can always re-roll and take the 2nd if the 1st roll is unsatisfactory, and we use it for Athletics, Strenght Checks, Insight, Perception, and Endurance (while bloodied), as well as either Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate once per encounter, so Arcana is definitely pulling it's weight. And it may be slightly more understandable using one's understanding of magic to cause a wall to explode.

[Edit] And with the mention of bard, here's another Arcana smasher that's a little less convoluted (though spends more feats to get the same outcome).

Show
level 11
Gnome, Bard, Arcane Trickster
Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Cunning
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Staff)
Background: High Imaskar (High Imaskar Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 20, Wis 11, Cha 22.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 17.

AC: 25 Fort: 20 Reflex: 25 Will: 25
HP: 76 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +22, Streetwise +16, Bluff +16, History +15, Diplomacy +16, Stealth +12, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +8, Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +12, Nature +6, Perception +6, Religion +11, Thievery +6

FEATS
Bard: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Arcane Prodigy
Level 2: Twilight Adept
Level 4: Fervent Talent
Level 6: Autohypnosis
Level 8: Skill Focus (Arcana)
Level 10: Versatile Expertise
Level 11: Sorcerous Vision

POWERS
Bard at-will 1: Guiding Strike
Bard at-will 1: Staggering Note
Bard encounter 1: Blunder
Bard daily 1: Stirring Shout
Bard utility 2: Moment of Escape
Bard encounter 3: Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade
Bard daily 5: Song of Discord
Bard utility 6: Kord`s Force
Bard encounter 7: Unluck
Bard daily 9: Saga of Vengeance
Bard utility 10: Illusory Erasure

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Runic Leather Armor +2, Vicious Dagger +3, Safewing Amulet +3, Light Shield, Belt of Vigor (heroic tier), Boots of Striding (heroic tier)

The power selection is just a quick and semi-thematic pick. Good at all the important social skills, as well as excellent with arcana and the 4 other skills it substitutes for. Sure Climber and Long Jumper will probably be desired at some point in there for maximum mobility, but other more leader oriented stuff would probably be a higher priority.
Isn't there a feat to let you add your Cha Mod to your acrobatics checks?  You're an artful dodger halfling anyway, right?

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Isn't there a feat to let you add your Cha Mod to your acrobatics checks?  You're an artful dodger halfling anyway, right?

Excellent, I felt like I was missing a better alternative to Skill Focus.

I remember a thread where you could "talk down a wall" through a combination of feats that allowed you to use diplomacy (or history, don't remember exactly),

I remember a thread where you could "talk down a wall" through a combination of feats that allowed you to use diplomacy (or history, don't remember exactly),

Heh, that would be pretty amusing too. Now I've got to find that.
What a terrifying picture you've found/made.
What a terrifying picture you've found/made.

Yeah, cropped out the halfling from the fling ally illustration from whatever book that is pasted on a generic bursting brick wall background. That halfling is pretty pissed looking...
All I can say is "OOOOH YEAAAAH!".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBeUGqeYsQg
... and if you prefer Grape Kool-aid,

the wall can look like Blue Corn,

and the Halfling like a Smurf.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

So, anyone able to find the combo to do this with either diplomacy or history or whichever it was?
Perfect Recall and Bracers of Mental Might.
Although arguably the Bracers don't turn the strength check into an Intelligience check.

Haha.

Reagan: Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Wall: After that moving speech, I'll just tear down myself.

Ha. I DM for a charge-optimized rapier Thief who does Streetwise to know all things and already uses Athletics instead of Strength for such checks. No doubt he would adore these shoes.

What does that even look like? Your picture is only showing the after effect -- I must know how you use dexterity to break through solid brick!
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
Ha. I DM for a charge-optimized rapier Thief who does Streetwise to know all things and already uses Athletics instead of Strength for such checks. No doubt he would adore these shoes.

What does that even look like? Your picture is only showing the after effect -- I must know how you use dexterity to break through solid brick!

I suppose the shoes magically convert agility to physical force...
His agility allows him to pinpoint the force of the blow to a weak spot?

His acrobatics lets him throw his whole body's strength into it?

He somersaults his whole body into the wall knocking it down?
This trick would also be pretty neat for the upcoming Vampire class, just multi rogue for Duelist's panache and you have a vampire who can blow up walls with his good looks and agility.
I imagine it looks something like this.

Not one big blow, but lot's of little hits that add up to a large amount of force. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I imagine it looks something like this.

Not one big blow, but lot's of little hits that add up to a large amount of force. 

Yeah, I imagine it as something like that or Cammy's cannon drill attack, which seems pretty acrobatic, or perhaps like Chun Li's spinning bird kick.
Very nice, Jay.

This reminds me of the Jumplomancer from 3ed. (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...)
Very nice, Jay.

This reminds me of the Jumplomancer from 3ed. (community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...)

Now THAT is hilarious. Anyone know any way to do something like that in 4e?
On another skill related note, a Dragonborn hybrid+MC combination of a psionic, divine, and sorcerer with the Adamant Instructor PP and the Sorcerous Vision and Autohypnosis feats can use arcana in place of Insight, Perception, Diplomacy, and Endurance (while not bloodied). I can't think of any way to make that now AWFUL though, as you'd want high INT for arcana, CHA for MC sorcerer, and WIS for whatever divine class. A Dragonborn Paladin|Sorc MC Ardent would qualify for everything but would have crappy Arcana with no INT...

Ooh, an Arcane Trickster can use Arcana in place of Athletics, so we can replicate everything the acrobat can do but with Arcana, and can even MC sorc for Sorcerous Vision, and possibly squeeze in Autohypnosis too. I'll work on a skeleton build for that.
Pure-classed bard with three MC feats?

Psion|Invoker/Sorc?

Maybe a Half-elf using adapt Diletteante to remove the requirements on an MC feat?
Traveler's Insight.
On the CO IRC, generally as TorpedoFish.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
Pure-classed bard with three MC feats?

Psion|Invoker/Sorc?

Maybe a Half-elf using adapt Diletteante to remove the requirements on an MC feat?

Hmm, a Cunning Bard MC Sorc/Rogue/Any Psionic/Arcane Trickster would do that pretty well while not requiring much in the way of power sacrifice. Would want reserve maneuver to swap out the PP encounter power for a cha based bard power, but otherwise a much more reasonable build.
High Imaskari background so you can roll Arcana twice on anything as well.  You'll lose out on some opportunity costs for what you could have done for a PP or some feats instead, but the concept is pretty nice.
High Imaskari background so you can roll Arcana twice on anything as well.  You'll lose out on some opportunity costs for what you could have done for a PP or some feats instead, but the concept is pretty nice.

Yep, that's in there.
By mid-paragon, the best way to break down walls and stuff is probably as a Githzerai Shaman/MC Monk with the Ghost Panther PP (which gives your Wis mod to Athletics), Zuoken's centering (to use Wis instead of str for athletics) and, once per encounter, Speak with Spirits to add your Wis mod again!
Sign In to post comments