03/16/2011 BoaB: "Evolving Event Decks: Into the Breach"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I find the sideboard choices interesting. I was looking to build a deck like this anyway, so it's of good use.

Some thing I recently read (and thought) about is Perilous Myr vs Necropede. The latter is extremely interesting in the Boros matchup. Block a steppe lynx (it dies at end of turn due to the counter), put a -1/-1 counter on geopede, that also dies at EOT.

The one thing I'm bad at in Magic is Sideboarding; I usually don't know what to board out (I often do know what to board in) in what matchup. It would be great if you (JvL) could give some tips on that, even more for matchups you don't show. How do you handle Valakut, for example? Boarding in 2 TukTuk's and 3 Myr Sire's to combat arc trails, pyroclasms and the like doesn't feel like it 'wrecks' Valakut, while it surely doesn't seem an easy matchup post-board.

I'm currently playing a Big Red deck and I'll test the necropede's in my board there. I know that the decks aren't comparable at all (except for being mono-red), but it surely is something to think about. Necropede is slightly worse with Kuldotha Rebirth (especially against Kor Firewalker). It is slightly better against Thrun though, which I happen to see quite a lot in my meta (Green Zenith->Thrun is a great way to answer red decks in general, it seems).

I'm thinking about cutting the Devastating Summons and dropping the Chimeric Mass count to 2. This would allow me to put in either 2 more Goblin Guides and an Hero of Oxid Ridge, or the other way around. It feels like a great addition in the battle cry segment, but it's somewhat high on the curve so putting in more than 2 seems bad.
I agree about sideboarding, I often have a hard time with those descisions, and would love to see more discussing the motives behind different choices.

I bought this deck and have been slowly trying to tweak it so was really excited to see this article, very interesting and a lot of good ideas. Thanks!
On my first time playing this deck I attacked for 15 on turn 2. And my opponent played first. I had quite a draw, but it's still wild for Standard. Of course, if my opponent had any board sweepers I never would have recovered since I emptied my hand of all but 1 card.

Isn't this deck better known as Kuldotha Red?
I find it funny/cool to note that if you're going to add the two additional goblin guides you may as well buy a second event deck at that point as it will also net you one of your additional Contested War Zones and your two additional Goblin Bushwhackers.  This event deck is a steal at $25 as that's worth it for just the price of the two Goblin Guides and the War Zone that come in it thanks to the price hikes the hasty 2/2 took from being in a T1 deck.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

The entire point of the Event Deck is to produce a tournament-competitive deck that somebody without a ton of expensive cards can afford to put together.

The entire point of Building on a Budget is to produce tournament-competitive decks that somebody without a ton of expensive cards can afford to put together.

The deck in this column is specifically designed to be an improvement on the Event Deck.

Tell me I'm not the only person who sees the issue here. 
The entire point of the Event Deck is to produce a tournament-competitive deck that somebody without a ton of expensive cards can afford to put together.

The entire point of Building on a Budget is to produce tournament-competitive decks that somebody without a ton of expensive cards can afford to put together.

The deck in this column is specifically designed to be an improvement on the Event Deck.

Tell me I'm not the only person who sees the issue here. 

Well, to be fair, some obvious improvements can be made without too much hassle.  Either spikeshot goblin should be in the deck with multiple copies, or it shouldn't be in there at all.  Same with iron myr.  But yeah.  It's not precon->good deck or first draft->good deck.  It's reasonable deck->good deck.
I don't see the value of the  Flayer Husks in this deck. Jacob Van Lunen didn't play one during his 4 games he played. I would think that the 2 Husks would be a straight swap for 2 Goblin Guides if you have the cash. If not, I would rather see them be 2 more Panic Spellbomb because you can poke more damage through by removing a blocker or sacrificing it to Kuldotha Rebirth and you still get to draw a card either way.
On the topic of Treasure Mage: Hello planeswalkers. Look at your hand, now back to me, now back to your hand, now back to me. Sadly, your hand doesn't have a big game-winning bomb in it, but if you searched through your library for an artifact with converted mana cost of 6 or greater, you could get one. Look down, now back up, shuffle your library. Where are you? You're in a Magic game, and you're losing. What's that in your hand? It's a Wurmcoil Engine. Look again, the Wurmcoil Engine is now a ticket to Nagoya. Anything is possible when you cast Treasure Mage. I'm on a dragon. Currently Playing: U/R Burning Vengeance Control 10-2 http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-burning-vengeance-2/
Re: necropede vs. perilous myr (@ Rainar), I think necropede has absolutely no place in this deck. While it's true that perilous myr is a sort of defensively chosen sideboard option, it's still important to note that he gets in there with real damage when swinging (as opposed to poison counters, which might as well be no damage in a deck like this).

Plus, when he hits the yard, he can aim 2 damage at the dome, which is also very much what this deck wants to do, or even potentially at a troublesome early plainswalker, like Garruk, for instance. If you get 'clasm'd on turns 2 - 4, it's unlikely that he's gonna have much left in the way of creatures for you to stick a -1/-1 on.

As for Thrun (or any card that needs 4 mana or more), you generally hope to just overwhelm the opponent. Long term isn't your mindset with this deck. Mid-game isn't even your mindset with this deck. If you don't have them in bolt range by turn four, you're probably going to lose.
Re: necropede vs. perilous myr (@ Rainar), I think necropede has absolutely no place in this deck. While it's true that perilous myr is a sort of defensively chosen sideboard option, it's still important to note that he gets in there with real damage when swinging (as opposed to poison counters, which might as well be no damage in a deck like this).

Plus, when he hits the yard, he can aim 2 damage at the dome, which is also very much what this deck wants to do, or even potentially at a troublesome early plainswalker, like Garruk, for instance. If you get 'clasm'd on turns 2 - 4, it's unlikely that he's gonna have much left in the way of creatures for you to stick a -1/-1 on.

As for Thrun (or any card that needs 4 mana or more), you generally hope to just overwhelm the opponent. Long term isn't your mindset with this deck. Mid-game isn't even your mindset with this deck. If you don't have them in bolt range by turn four, you're probably going to lose.

I hate this mind set, since it would mean losing the die roll equals losing the game, since they'll have their turn 4 earlier than you. I would never intend to force a midgame, but I do like some sort of plan in case **** hits the fan. Thrun is a very real threat, since it can see play on turn 3 (without regen mana up, but then again, there's not much in our deck that actually kills him). If they're on the play, it means you're attacking against a big blocker in your own turn 3, losing one creature every turn.

BTW, I might as well agree with you on Perilous Myr vs Necropede. In other mono Red decks, such as Big Red (which I usually play), he just functions completely differently. Those kind of decks tend to shift more towards control/midgame/lategame and the necropede just helps you get there. When trying to finish the game quickly, the Myr is probably better indeed, but it's good to discuss and see pro's and con's people give. I think it's mostly a meta-call, with better chances for the Myr in this deck than the necropede.

Oh, and it's planeswalker, not plainswalker.
But what if it's a white planeswalker? Maybe then it can be a plainswalker? And who are you to say planeswalkers can walk upon the plains?

As for the lack of mid-game in K-red style decks, I'm only speaking from the experience of playing against them. I haven't thrown one together just yet. But I've dueled them aplenty, and so far it seems that if I can stabilize before they kill me, their midgame is to top-deck a couple burn spells.

Losing one blocker to Thrun (or any other troll shroud regenerating critter I suppose) when you swing on turn three or four is probably okay for this deck. If your battle cry is active, or you've got a bushwacker in hand, you'll probably be in a position to outright win with combat damage, or put him in that burn range where a bolt or one unblocked creature will finish him.

But I think early sweepers are your main concern with this deck (pyroclasm, slagstorm, and Black Sun's Zenith are all played or boarded pretty heavily right now), and JVL attempted to address that a bit with the Myr Sires. As you noted, it may not be enough, but when the main thing going for your deck is unchecked aggression, answers are your opponents concern, not yours. In my opinion.

I really enjoyed this weeks article.  It fulfilled everything I am looking for in a BoaB article (save that I would like a couple more game reports but can't have everything).

This is a great way to build a competitive, cheap deck than can win games against other Tier 1 decks.

As for the lack of mid-game in K-red style decks, I'm only speaking from the experience of playing against them. I haven't thrown one together just yet. But I've dueled them aplenty, and so far it seems that if I can stabilize before they kill me, their midgame is to top-deck a couple burn spells.

I disagree. Midgames do consists of multiple top-decks but there's other options than just burn. Rebuilding a hand and just trying another Kuldotha Rebirth, for instance.

Losing one blocker to Thrun (or any other troll shroud regenerating critter I suppose) when you swing on turn three or four is probably okay for this deck. If your battle cry is active, or you've got a bushwacker in hand, you'll probably be in a position to outright win with combat damage, or put him in that burn range where a bolt or one unblocked creature will finish him.

You completely misunderstood me: you're not losing a blocker to Thrun, but an attacker! They will block the battle Crying creature (Wardriver!), if possible. Besides that, it will force you to attack with all the creatures, which could mean the risk of losing your war zone.
But I think early sweepers are your main concern with this deck (pyroclasm, slagstorm, and Black Sun's Zenith are all played or boarded pretty heavily right now), and JVL attempted to address that a bit with the Myr Sires. As you noted, it may not be enough, but when the main thing going for your deck is unchecked aggression, answers are your opponents concern, not yours. In my opinion.

Post-sideboard answers are our concern, really. If a matchup changes from 55% to 45% after boarding, that means you're in a really bad shape, as you'll generally have to play a game 3 which isn't in your favor either.

Hmm, I really like this article, it brings good ideas on cheap deckbuilding (in my view cheap deck looks generally more like this one than the rareless). I would agree with some tips on sideboarding because I'm new to MtG and I believe it can be crucial in tournaments. In general, it's not such a problem to build a sideboard but it's harder to use it properly. In my city there are Extended tournaments for beginners and I usually play with my elf deck there. And the real problem of mine is proper sideboarding. I usually know what I need to put in against certain opponent but the problem is what to take out, maybe except for Mul Daya Channelers that I'm planning to replace with Immaculate Magistrates as soon as possible.

Anyway, what I missed in the article was how the deck deals with some control decks. Maybe some sounterspells, maybe the above mentioned Black Zenith...