03/16/2011 StF: "Six Secrets Behind the Sets"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.
Looking more closely, it seems as though Bleak Coven Vampires has the syringe fingers in the wrong place. oops. 
Aside from that, it was interesting, and seemingly accurate, though I'm not a flavor expert. WIll someone please explain to me why the vampires suddenly make an appearance AFTER memnarch disappears, while before there is only nim (and zuul)
Fight for the Cookie! click for a secret message!
Show
click (again) for a secret message!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ
Show
WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?
Creator of:
Show
Standard:
Show
Soul Stealer Angeltap Bloodchief Ascension Black Knights Infect Knights Mono-Green Control Turbo Bant The Solution
Extended:
Show
Tight Sight 2010 Dralnu Fog Extended Knights Kor Dad Bolas Ramp
Legacy:
Show
DragonForce Tight Sight 2011 Hulk-Tooth All-in-Black Wake
Wins I have Witnessed[sblock]
57070368 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
Even metallix is gone now.
I'm right here.
There was exactly one vampire in the original Mirrodin block, and thus far there's exactly one in this block too.
blah blah metal lyrics
There was exactly one vampire in the original Mirrodin block, and thus far there's exactly one in this block too.


Read the text on it, though. It certainly has company.

Once again, it's evident that Doug Beyer has too many other responsibilities and is not currently up on the details of the very continuity he's discussing.  (I am not blaming him by any stretch of the imagination, he's a busy guy and we can all be glad of that - but they really ought to turn STF over to someone else who has time to Do The Research.  Heck, it's not like they'd even have to pay that person - half the folks in this forum would doubtlessly do it for cards, if not completely free.)

1.  There was explicitly only one vampire on Mirrodin during (most of) the first Mirrodin block.  The current tribe are entirely his "descendants".  We may presume that the virulence of their contagion has maybe gone down a bit, or they'd be giving Phyrexia a run for its money.

2.  Unfortunately, only some of the MB boosters have the new lands.

3.  Got this one spot-on.

4.  oooooh preeeeety...wait, what was the question?

5.  Tyrannax have evolved an entire new skeletal structure within a handful of years.  Film at 11.

6.  The green Lacuna is not inside the Tree of Tales.   Doug's article "The Human Cultures of Mirrodin" points out that the Lacuna came out of the former Radix, and that a structure called the Araneas Altar was built atop it.  We have yet to see any pictures of this Altar, and I'm very sad about that.  The fluff of this set describes so many intriguing locations that I was absolutely shattered (haha) not to see any new "pseudo-Legendary" (akin to Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion) lands for them in Scars or Besieged.

6b.  This is admittedly not a flavor point, but I just want to take a moment to sob about the fact that Galvanoth works beautifully with the original Beacons but has absolutely no effect on the Zeniths in its own set (and, in three cases including the on-color one, its own faction).  One of the designers really ought to have added an "If that spell has X in its casting cost, X is (some reasonably fair number)" clause - it would even have been worth crowding out a little of the flavor text for, as the same point could have been made more succinctly.  (Example:  It bites the metal crust of Mirrodin, spraying raw mana like juice.)

Letter of the Week - And once again, Doug does not want to admit "We just don't know".  They don't even try to answer all these questions, for which one cannot blame them.  But it'd be nice if they could at least admit this fact, instead of doing the standard corporate "admit no error" thing.

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I really enjoyed this article! It's nice to see art together with discussion of the card designs behind them.
There was exactly one vampire in the original Mirrodin block, and thus far there's exactly one in this block too.


Read the text on it, though. It certainly has company.



yes it does: sangromancer

Letter of the Week - And once again, Doug does not want to admit "We just don't know".  They don't even try to answer all these questions, for which one cannot blame them.  But it'd be nice if they could at least admit this fact, instead of doing the standard corporate "admit no error" thing.




I'm going with giant hand, because I heart wallmasters, and it makes the germ so much cuter when I imagine him having the time of his ****ing life riding around in his giant robot being all "PCHOO PCHOO!"

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
I didn't really expect my question last week to be selected and answered because of the topic, but I figured that I'd take a shot.

So here it is so that others can weigh in.

=====================

As I understand the storyline, Karn created Mirrodin bringing the oil with him.  Memnarch created the soul traps, and brought creatures from all over the blind eternities to Mirrodin as the oil was spreading.  We know that the Mephidross at least had been infected by the time that Glissa did her thing to vanquish Memnarch, and probably there was some infection in green by then as well.  So the soul traps triggered again, and all of the non-native Mirrodins were returned home, sans metal.  My question is ... did we just see the "seeding" of the oil to just about every plane in the blind eternities???

=====================

Opinion?

-MT Head

Well, Karn was a planeswalker and was presumably 'shedding' oil as he traveled. But yep, most likely. Was probably the big reason Phyrexia corrupted the Memnarch in the first place, really.
It's but a minor nitpick, but all of the Zenith's and their associated artifact land are labeled correctly except White Sun's Zenith and Ancient Den. They switched them on accident.
On the topic of Treasure Mage: Hello planeswalkers. Look at your hand, now back to me, now back to your hand, now back to me. Sadly, your hand doesn't have a big game-winning bomb in it, but if you searched through your library for an artifact with converted mana cost of 6 or greater, you could get one. Look down, now back up, shuffle your library. Where are you? You're in a Magic game, and you're losing. What's that in your hand? It's a Wurmcoil Engine. Look again, the Wurmcoil Engine is now a ticket to Nagoya. Anything is possible when you cast Treasure Mage. I'm on a dragon. Currently Playing: U/R Burning Vengeance Control 10-2 http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-burning-vengeance-2/
=====================

As I understand the storyline, Karn created Mirrodin bringing the oil with him.  Memnarch created the soul traps, and brought creatures from all over the blind eternities to Mirrodin as the oil was spreading.  We know that the Mephidross at least had been infected by the time that Glissa did her thing to vanquish Memnarch, and probably there was some infection in green by then as well.  So the soul traps triggered again, and all of the non-native Mirrodins were returned home, sans metal.  My question is ... did we just see the "seeding" of the oil to just about every plane in the blind eternities???

=====================




My guess would be if they were sent back sans metal, they were probably sent back sans phyresis as well.  The phrase 'soul traps" to me suggests that the devices don't physically transport people from plane to plane, but rather extract their identity from the origin plane as data and then build them a new body out of ambient matter in the destination plane, doing it again when the process is reversed.

Also, hardly every plane in the multiverse.  We've only got like twelve races on Mirrodin, and some of them might have been the same plane.  Likely just a handful of the ones "closer" to the destination plane.  So even if the corrosion did spread, it would hardly be pandemic.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi