Introduce Yourself! The Tavern: Community Discussion Thread

3403 posts / 0 new
Last post
The last intro thread was created over two years ago, and we've seen a number of new faces popping up in the last few months, so I think its time we started a new introductions thread.

Welcome to the Flavor and Storyline board.

This forum is for the discussion of anything and everything involving flavor. Flavor texts, names, worlds, storylines, books, characters, web-comics, the color pie, authors, fanfiction, and anything else that's flavorful.

These forums are designed to foster an open and honest discussion on flavor. That is, feel free to discuss the topics you want to. If you like something, you are free to talk about that, if you dislike something, you can talk about that as well.

We ask that you be courteous to your fellow posters. We also ask that you reframe from making personal attacks against authors and artists while here. There is a long history of Magic fans alienating the authors that appear here and elsewhere on the net by simply bashing them senselessly. This does not rule out constructive criticism, and complaining is almost a professional sport for some of us, of course, but if this forum is filled with hate speech and irrational arguments then there is little hope that anyone new would want to post here, and worse still, little hope that anyone from creative would want to post here either. So keep it cool, keep it respectful, and try to reserve your flames for the truly deserving.

What can I look forward to in this forum?

You'll find here great discussions on almost anything flavor based.

Furthermore, many of us are involved with the Magic: Expanded Multiverse project, which seeks both to archive and preserve official works of fiction, old and new, and to create a cohesive expanded canon for Magic, filled with art, stories, poems and comics created by the fans, for the fans. You can find the product of our efforts in the slowly expanding archive.

Also we are fortunate to have Brady Dommermuth, Magic's Creative Director post here every so often, and various authors past and present stick their noses in from time to time. Robert Wintermute, Ari Marmell, Laura Resnik, and Pete Venters all have appeared here, and still do from time to time, so keep an eye out for their posts.

In summary, come in, pull up a chair, grab your drink of choice and enjoy the company of your fellow Vorthosi. Vorthoses. Vorthosilim. Flavor lovers, shall we say.

Introduce yourself here, and be welcomed into the community!
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I am Sam KeeperofManyNames, Sam Keeper, KoMN, or Keeper, whichever is easiest to type.

I seem to have been upgraded at some point to Old Reg. Don't ask me, I just woke up one morning with a wreath on my door and a button pinned to my blazer. Anyway, I tend to wander around here, rambling on about the older books, forgotten bits of storyline history, the Expanded Multiverse, literary theory and art history, and whatever happens to be floating through my brain at the time.

If you have questions about the board, about our strange shibboleths, about what the hell a shibboleth is anyway, or about the Expanded Multiverse, feel free to PM you. I usually will reply within a few months, if I haven't slit my own throat with this week's college essay.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I'm Jedi123, or just Jedi.

I' haven't been around much because of school and technical difficulties, but I still stick my nose in and post when able. I enjoy creating worlds and walkers. I am a council member of the Expanded multiverse, and have some of my creations there.

I'm one of the few regulars (if I count at this point) who actually liked Test of Metal.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
I'm Zulp. I'm philosophically and aesthetically. I've been lurking on the forums for years and only just decided to start posting a month or so ago. I am pretty sure that I exist.
Tevish Szat, sometimes-Forgotten Ancient of the forums.  I can spin the Book-of-Genesis tales of the early days of this forum, but that thread is not this thread.

Phyrexian, going on 10 years now.

M:EM Council Member.

Writer.  Seriously, I have a 4-year degree with concentration in creative writing.  Currently trying to make that work out.

I'm a pro-grade lurker: I read a LOT of threads, but only rarely chime in.  You won't "see" me reading either, since I've had invisible status enabled for at least 6 years now, but I'm prety much there, lurking in the shadows.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Greetings! I am Micorku, you can call me Cork if you must (in fact I advise it if you're saying it out loud - people tend to have issues pronouncing Micorku, not surprising because it isn't a real word in any language)

My specialty lies in creating worlds and characters, not neccesarily in writing the stories themselves. I have a blog (Micorku's World Bits) which currently holds little other than my entries for the Community Plane Creation Contest, but I intend to remedy that soon.

Look for me going way more indepth on the color pie than was ever intended and generally being overly nitpicky. And more than a little sarcastic.
Micorku's World Bits - A Vorthos writing about various creative topics. Updates sporadically Iroas - The world needs heroes - will you answer the call? There is also an RPG that is in Pre-Alpha stage.
I guess I'll introduce myself then.

I'm Arcades Sabboth. I'd call myself the resident Elder Dragon, except that I'm more of a perennial visitor, and hardly an "old regular."

As with my presence on any forum, some months I'm around, some months I'm elsewhere. My imagination has a one-track mind, so it only focuses on one fiction at a time. This spring it is Magic, but when it's not, I'll just disappear, to come back years later. That's how I am. (Or, you know, Gleemax decides to glitch my account for a couple of years.)

Some things to remember about me: I am very literal-minded and I don't always figure out sarcasm or humor online. I'm not good at "reading between the lines" and figuring out what somebody is implying. To avoid misunderstandings, I try to be very literal and wordy when expressing myself.

I also take pains to imply as little as possible when I write. This means that if I don't say something very explicitly, you should never assume I "implied" or "meant" it. Seriously. This causes endless misunderstandings.

Besides being a vorthos and all-around fantasy geek, I'm a giant science nerd, a mythology lover, and a horror fan. I am prone to over-analyzing planes, settings, the color pie, flavor text, and everything else. I have yet to get my hands on any Magic novel, but that doesn't mean I don't care (seriously, I'm broke and my books-to-read list is several pages long!).

I enjoy worldbuilding; to me it is an art and a craft to be practiced lovingly and carefully. Before this plane creation contest I hadn't really done it in a long while. I can honestly say it's the most excited I've been all year, that I can remember.
Please note: unless I'm trying to be sarcastic or humorous, most of my posts are very literal. Don't try to "read between the lines" because there is usually nothing there. I try not to imply anything when I write.
Hello, I am Diamora742, and I am the resident nut-case of sorts. I am tolerated (at best) by those who enjoy having a good laugh/are patient enough ;)

I originally posted here sometime last year under the guise of Emrakulpunk409, an arrogant wannabe (can you tell how much this has changed?).

I am very odd/random, will post whatever I want without taking any bull. No excuses, no **** from anybody (I also have a potty mouth ).

I absolutely LOVE helping people with their projects. I have plenty of my own, but I know that half are probably crap (no pretenses here) I am always on the forums, due to homeschool boredom, so if you ever need a weirdo like me to help you with something, I am your man.

(P.S.: I am a PbP/RPing FREAK!)
[/sblock] [sblock=signature] I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Created with Rum and Monkey's
Howdy Ho, Neighnorinos.

I am but a simple Thoctar, shaved against my will.

I am passionate about magic, but have a particularly large stiffy for the aspects of design and flavor, which I consider to be one and the same in many ways.

Green all the way.
Quake and fear for the coming of Barinellos! Dread lord of time and canon, keeper of the timeline! I've been declared by the masses a storyline guru, much akin to Keeper. The difference between us is that he is a kind guru, where I rain dark wrath like the summoning of Zushakon upon those who offer baseless Speculation. Dread my arrival for these who claim more Eldrazi are out there or that two characters are the same being.

Called the Neguru by the Magic: Extended Multiverse, I am the horror that lurks behind their creations, ensuring that their creations hold true to history established. But lo, I am a being of knowledge first and foremost, always willing to illuminate the information lost to history and tell the stories of the elder times.

Having said that, I'm a good guy, don't let the dramatics fool you. I'm usually pretty friendly, but I'm also fairly blunt. When someone comes up with a weird "wouldn't it be cool!" theory, I tend to lose some of my jovial attitude.

Anyways, I'm always up for messages, particularly if you want to know something about the storyline. I'm pretty well read, examine quantum physics in my spare time, and have spent a lot of time examining mythology from across the world (including some religions that would get upset to be called mythology.) Aside from that, I know a fair amount about art and do a fair job freelancing said subject. My day job is as a film projectionist, and is consequently, a night job.
I'm Ari Marmell, known as "Mouseferatu" on most Internet forums. I've scribbled a few words that some of you might have read. I've scribbled a few more I'd like you all to read. ;)
Ari Marmell aka Mouseferatu --Rodent of the Dark www.mouseferatu.com Twitter Facebook

Ello, I'm Trolljuju, or just Juju, or maybe even Mr. Juju if you're feeling formal

The story and flavor is easily my favorite part of all of magic, and although I'm nowhere near as knowlegeable as Keeper or Barinellos, I do try to learn as much as I can.

Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
Hello, I'm Megagan or Gan or Mega if you prefer. I recently joined the community and thought this would be a good place to get started. I love the flavor and story to magic it is one of my favorite parts as well as the art. I like to learn more and discuss the story to the magic universe. I'm hoping to become part of the discusions soon.
My name is Yxoque ( pronounced: Iks-ó-kwé ). 
Some time ago I decided to become active on this forum (my first post was something about the flavor of artifacts, or something) and I've slowly became more of a regular. I'm pretty knowledgeable about the flavor post-Alara, since that when I started playing, but know a few things from before then. The biggest gap in my knowledge is about the books, due to me loving reading and not having a large book-budget. The only Magic book in my possession is Agents of Artifice
I enjoy talking about flavor, color philosophies, storylines and guiding people with their larger (worldbuilding) projects. I'm slightly creative, but can't really express myself very well, which is why I joined the Expanded Multiverse. 
My hobbies include: Magic: The Gathering (obviously), Reading, Gaming, World of Warcraft and watching movies. I also go to the (very) occasional opera (If you ever get the chance to see Wagner's Ring trilogy: do it.) I enjoy everything, as long as it has a decent story in it, and get very annoyed when great potential isn't executed properly.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I am the Gamma-Mage, or Gamma for short. I'm not as active as I once was, but you'll see me pop in ever so often to comment on the latest storyline info, especially such things as webcomics.

Contrary to popular belief, my name has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the first two Magic sets were named after Greek letters.

I started playing Magic because I thought it would be a good idea to to do something with real people, instead of playing computer games. I only started playing properly when Shards of Alara came out. I am a Green-White (with a dash of Black) player, and I'm from South Africa so I really liked Bant.

I usually make Top 8 at the Game Days here, but I do badly at pre-releases. I have recently discovered that I enjoy judging, EDH, and casual multiplayer far more than playing competitive Magic.
Evil doesn't always triumph. - Ajani Goldmane
I'm not one for long introductions, so:

Hi. 
The Pony Co. Because none of us are as loving as all of us.
Contact info
In case contacting me over the forums is not possible for some reason or another, my email is morten.c.k.olsen@gmail.com. Please state who you are, because I will most likely end up ignoring people that I don't know at least somewhat.
Alwaaaaays, I wanna be with you!
56287226 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
You clearly overestimate my cognitive skills by assuming that I could have accumulated that knowledge independently.
Okay, I'll be sure not to make that kind of assumption in the future. Now, if you'd like to go back to the main Magic General 'forum' page (that's the one that lists all the different 'discussion threads' that people have 'posted') from this page, just press the up-arrow key on your keyboard until you reach the top of the page, then click the link that says "Magic General"--it should be in fairly small font, just above the buttons labeled "Post Reply" and "Subscribe" and the box labeled "Jump Menu", but below the blue link labeled "Preferences". It'll be in a line with a number of other small-font links with different names. From the 'forum' page you will be able to select another 'thread' to view; 'threads' that people have 'posted' to since you last looked at them will have their names listed in bold font and have the number of unread replies listed just to the right of the name. If you click that unread replies number, it will take you right to the last reply you viewed in the 'thread' so that you can continue reading all the new replies from there. To get back to the main Magic General 'forum' page, just repeat the process from the previous paragraph--don't worry if you're on a different page, all 'thread' pages will have the same basic layout, so it should work exactly the same on any page in the Magic General 'forum'.\ And remember, if you accidentally click on the wrong link and find yourself on a page you're not familiar with, there's no need to panic; you can always press the 'back' button in your browser to go back to whatever you were looking at before. It should be on the left-hand side near the top of the screen, just below the menu bar, and will probably have a picture of some kind of arrow pointing to the left on it. Hope that helps!
56957928 wrote:
56914748 wrote:
The explanation given was that since land cards represent mystical bonds to far-off places rather than actual tangible things like creatures and other permanents, a person might have more than one memory of an area, or different mages could forge a bond to different parts of a place, etc. and that simply being a unique location doesn't necessarily mean that a land card has to be legendary.
"I remember my days as a schoolboy at the Tolarian Academy..." "Really? I went there too-" "Wait don't- Well ****, there goes my childhood."
56816728 wrote:
I was clearly wrong about Dragon_Whelp, he clearly is a jerk.
57471038 wrote:
Allow me to extrapolate—regular game play, as defined by WotC, is tournament play. As such, Casual, EDH, Planechase, and all that other stuff is irregular Magic; if Magic at all. So the next time someone says Competitive Constructed decks are not the only decks that count in Constructed (Casual Constructed), then I can gleefully point to the definition set forth by WotC and say that Competitive Constructed is in deed the only ones that count, and that they are playing some irregular form of Magic.
56792158 wrote:
Dragon, just don't argue with Hovercraft. He's his own Legacy metagame.
57471038 wrote:
One with Nothing is the third iteration in an attempt to make Black Lotus fair: Black Lotus: That's too good, we need to tone it down. Lion's Eye Diamond: Dammit, players are still using it in a very broken manner! One with Nothing: Alright! We got it now.
Twin2;15476002 wrote:
What happened to the really fun cards? Well you see a long long time ago the earth was ruled by dinosaurs. They were big so not a lot of people went around hassling them. Then a giant meteorite struck the earth, good bye dinosaurs. But what if the dinosaurs weren't all destroyed? What if the impact of that meteorite created a parallel dimension where the dinosaurs continue to thrive and evolve into intelligent vicious aggressive beings? What if they found a way back? ....wait that's not what happened to the fun cards that's the intro to the mario brothers movie. Get those two confused all the time, my bad.
56981618 wrote:
It's a folllow-up on the Priceless Treasures, Deadly Perils idea. See, what happened was, you got the packs that the Eldrazi had already gotten to--the had annihilated everything but the land itself. In fall, expect to open some packs and find cards covered in goopy, black oil. It's all about the marketing angle, people.
I'm a guy obsessed with obsessed with non-orthodox takes on the colours. For instance, I am White, Red and Blue, but a quick look at my posts elsewhere in the internet would lead one to be shocked (unless you recognise White's less desirable traits and the association of those three colours with perfection).
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Wow, I'm learning so much stuff that I didn't know about all of you. 0_o

I'm beginning to think that maybe we should do a new one of these every year...

Also, welcome to the forum, Megagan! Congratulations on your first post and so on.

Also also, I realized that I didn't actually say much about my non-forum life so uh... I'm in school slowly training to become an Art Historian, but I'm also fascinated by science, literature, sexology, comics theory, neuroaesthetics, and other increasingly obscure and bizarre fields of study. Sometimes I do art, but I'm heavily influenced by the Symbolists and Art Nouveau, so my work tends to get bogged down in the planning stages...

The rough draft of my McCloud-influenced collaborative study on Hypercomics can be found here, if anyone feels like being really confused. I've got a few other hypercomics in the works, but I'm hampered by A. Infinite Canvas being really hard to do well, and B. my sister being a psychology and art major and therefore having no time to illustrate comics.
Hi, I'm Marcus (not my real name) and I'm an on and off poster here on F&S Forums. When something grabs my attention, it's hard to distract me and I'll check the given thread 10 times an hour to see what's new. However, I'm currently in a more lethargic phase and jump in like once a week to see what's going on, usually without posting anything.
I started playing Magic back in Mercadian Masques, though I never in all that time played a single tournament. I chose instead to play only casually for fun and not invest money into the game to remain competitive at all costs. I haven't played the game in a long time as the opportunities and the time to play are scarce now. My interest therefore is wholly on the flavor aspect of the game, and I don't think I'll be coming back to play anymore.
I'm quite a passionate gamer, though I try to put real life above all else. I'm studing English and German language and literature here on the Faculty of Arts in Czech Republic and am hoping to become a translator of sorts. However, I'm slowly realising that I completely suck at translating (and at German) but I try to keep the illusion alive at least
I'm having real trouble keeping things short. Unless you ask me what the time is or something simple like that, I'm able to make a two page post out of anything. I like to think that I have a good sense of humor, a certain taste for creating epicness (problems with modesty too ) but am also quick to anger and may verbally abuse other posters if they step over the line of what I consider appropriate code of conduct. I generally hang around voting game threads as I like to combine story with some gaming fun.
When you see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's usually a freight train.
Hello. My screen name is Yanmato1, but if you need to refer to me, you can just leave it at Yanmato. Jedi123 has a tendancy to spell it 'Yanmoto.' That's fine, too.

I'm a casual MtG palyer and a hardcore Vorthos. I really love the color wheel and talking about it. I'm definitely a Regular here, but I don't think I count as Old yet. I'm also a council member with the Expanded Multiverse. I enjoy making worlds, places, societies, and individuals, and I like to think I'm not too bad at it, but I can't write well. I love seeing new faces here, and I'll try to be nice, but if I come off as sarcastic or condescending, let me know. I probably didn't mean it. And that's about it. I don't generally talk about my real life on the internet. Much.

...I'm also learning a lot about the others here. Keeper, that hypercomic about hypercomics was pretty informative. I love new storytelling media and their sheer potential. Was the bearded guy really you? (Don't take this in a bad way, but up until now, I was about 60% sure you were a girl.)
"The truth resists simplicity."
Some memorable quotes
57461258 wrote:
I know, as a good liberal scholar, that I'm supposed to respect every other belief and culture and what have you that comes along but... at the end of the day, when all is said and done, some things are just plain wrong.
92481331 wrote:
Venser "Ah, Hello Myr. This is the King. Long Time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The Myr Battlesphere. The Myr. Where the first rolls and the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose we went to the bother, the bother of fixing up Mirrodin. The King of the Multiverse going to the bother just for rolling a Myr Battlephere, just for that, we went to the bother."
92126575 wrote:
Heard a joke once: Mare goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where even ponies you thought were your friends can't be trusted. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Go to one of Pinkie Pie's great parties tonight. Party hard. That should pick you up." Mare bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pinkie Pie." Good joke. Everypony laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.
69511863 wrote:
Sure, "the average person" might go see Transformers 3 if s/he wants a good story, but that doesn't stop people from making decent movies. Hell, they even managed to make Batman into a respectable movie. "The average" person might like American Idol or Jersey Shore, but people still made The Wire.
57722938 wrote:
I think the people who would sit down and listen to a minstrel reciting Homer, or thought that novels were art, or read poetry were always a minority. It's a common viewpoint that art was better in the past because everyone's forgotten the bad stuff, while we haven't had time to forget the awful stuff that is current.
56738148 wrote:
For almost all Magic fans, the "story" of Ravnica, for example, is that it's a city world with ten guilds -- yes, for most, that's a "story." All but a tiny fraction of the fan base are entirely unaware of an elaborate plot perpetrated by Augustin IV to trick Agrus Kos and Szadek into breaking the Guildpact, thereby enabling the Azorius to take control. Likewise, the vast majority of Magic players don't know who Harbin is, or Nivea, or Al-Hayat, or Feather, or Jared Carthalion, or Rebbec, or Zagorka ... the list goes on and on.
57916198 wrote:
I'm pulling this out of nowhere and it has nothing like fact attached to it, but it cannot be disproven without breaking the fourth wall, and this is going to be my headcanon because it makes perfect sense. I posit [Tamiyo, the Moon Sage] writes the Planeswalker's Guides to planes.
And one more thing...
CANON is the collected events and details of a fictional work that come directly from its author or someone with equal authority to the author. CANNON is a weapon that fires metal balls at a target, usually a structure or a crowd of enemy combatants. Every time you confuse the two, I'm forced to break one of my own fingers.
I neve noticed I was spelling it wrong...well not gonna change now!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
Bahahaha. Yeah, that bearded guy is me. I dress like that all the time, too. I looked like a college professor before I knew that was what I wanted to be. Why were you 60% sure I was a girl? I'm really curious.

And I'm glad you liked the essay. It needs a lot of work, but I'm proud of it overall.

You know, I've always felt like this is a pretty tight community, and it seems odd that we don't talk more about our lives beyond Magic. Should we use this as just a general off-topic chat thread?
Now that everyone is getting deeper on their introductions, I should also say that I am far more into flavour and storylines than the mechanics of the game play. I like playing MTG, but I'm more naturally inclined to the created universes and plot, because those are the two things I like the most.

Besides the card game, the created planes, the storylines and the colours, I also like the Battlegrounds PC game, which is now primitive by modern standards. I think another computer game more loyal to the card game would be welcome.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Bahahaha. Yeah, that bearded guy is me. I dress like that all the time, too. I looked like a college professor before I knew that was what I wanted to be. Why were you 60% sure I was a girl? I'm really curious.

Obviously cuz of your sexy word choice lol

And I'm glad you liked the essay. It needs a lot of work, but I'm proud of it overall.

You know, I've always felt like this is a pretty tight community, and it seems odd that we don't talk more about our lives beyond Magic. Should we use this as just a general off-topic chat thread?

I don't see why not
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
Well, since regulars have been introducing themselves, I might as well too.

I go by Its_Always_42, usually shortened to 42. We apologise for the inconvenience.

I am a Vorthos, and joined the forums purely to get that endorphin buzz you get when you create (I aim for Einstein hair). As such, you will mainly see me either here in F&S - rambling on about the color pie or writing stories with far too many characters in a voting game - or in M:EM - rambling on about the color pie or creating worlds with or without other people.

Well... Yeah, really the rest you need to know is in my sig. Except maybe I should mention this: Mostly because of the way I was raised, I am very respectful of my elders, and as such, treat those whom I look up to on the forums as well with... respect. And I trip over myself if I cam across badly to those people (as was my first contact with lMarcusl).

And, as you gathered by reading this post, I tend to ramble. Instead of "beating around the bush", I have to describe the bush to you and how I walked around it.

Profile Picture taken with implied permission from Trildar.

KeeperofManyNames wrote:

Alright, new theory: these forums are an experiment in ultraminimalism. By Monday everything--yes everything--will be the color white, and typing any character will simply produce a solid rectangle of variable height and width.

Hello. (gong clash) I am jbjbhMage, pronounced exactly as it's spelled, or as jub-jubbah mage.  I am partially a Vorthos due to my obsession over the flavor of the game, and my hunger for juicy fanfic keeps me coming here regularly.  I am definitely not old, but I am a minor regular here so I might as well put in my stuff.  I am a fairly new player compared to Keeper and the like, started in Shards and have been irrevocably obsessed with MTG ever since.  Since I have Asperger's Syndrome it is sometimes hard to not come off like a smart-booty or get really into an argument, so go ahead and try to stop me if I go too far.  I am quite the Grammar Nazi to myself and also don't word things properly sometimes so I can come off accidentially as a normal one

I am personality-wise very white-red-blue, having a strong sense of justice and short temper.  I love cats that have fur and am very easily amused, all while being snide, brilliant and having no filter!

The colors I actually like to play with are black and blue, though, simply due to the whole punishment theme.  Also Vampires are better than Soldiers any day.  I take my inner Timmy for a walk with a Mayael the Anima EDH loaded to the brim with all my favorite fatties that the rest of the playgroup feels too cheap for Polymorph but still likes to see in action.

You probably won't be seeing any actual material from me anytime soon(stories and stuff), but I do comment and give fair assessment of others' work, and there's no fear of me being dishonest so bring it on!

Just remember to pack your soul some safety gear; it's not pretty when a story blows through a hole I put my hand through.

Still new here to the forums themselves, started around the Rise spoilers and have been faithfully lifting peoples' veils of ignorance since.  No need to ask for me by name, if it's worth looking at I will usually look at it. I recently started perusing around the General forum waiting to see if my post on dreaming prophetically about what you are going to pull showed up anwhere else or if it was just me.  Then I got involved with some dreadful Spike spawning pits and immediately fled back to the Vorthos haven after my swords went dull on their thick gooey armor.

So..here I am. Class dismissed. (gong clash)
Aarrgh, he just hit me in the nards with a TV DINNER! -actual phone conversation
122343719 wrote:
I can't really understand people that just go along with the school, job, marrige, kids type goals in life because that is what they think is right. If people want those things they should want them because it makes them happy. I had an ex like that, she wanted those things because her family and her peers all wanted those things. Thinking for yourself is one of the greatest things you are capable of.
500th post- 3/15/11 1000th post- 4/7/12

Since Keeper suggested we turn this into some kind of random topic thread, (Did he say, random? Or just general topic? Let's go with random because it suits ME!) I'll inject the first bit of randomness (OOh, I'm Red/Blue today!)

Show
The class was suddenly silent when the large ogre stepped inside the classroom. He put his large cleaver against the wall, took of his ridiculously horned helmet off and wrote his name on the blackboard. “Welcome to Bradywalker High. I am Kazuul,”, he tapped on the blackboard when he said this, “and I will be giving you Algebra this year.”
Jace’s neighbor, a skinny Vedalken girl, leaned over to him and whispered: “The Tyrant of the Cliffs. I heard he once tied a boy to the front of his car for forgetting his homework.” Jace smiled at first, until he felt the pure fear coming from the girl. She truly believed a teacher would be allowed to do this. Jace smiled at the naivety, and relaxed in his chair. He looked around. Next to him was a large boy with a helmet and an axe next to his desk, looking a bit scared.  Not the kind Jace would become friends with, too much muscle. In front of him sat a another boy with a helmet, playing with his pens, welding them together with the power of his mind. Jace turned his head, to see he was behind him.
“Mr. Beleren,” Surprised Jace took his attention back to the front of the classroom. “Could you pay attention to the class, instead of the charms of Ms. Nalaar. I believe she already has a boyfriend.” Kazuul was grinning, enjoying the effect his words had on both Jace and Chandra. Jace refused to show his annoyance, but the girl behind him clearly showed her feelings, her head suddenly surrounded by flames. Kazuul ignored this and went on: “If seven treasure hunters want passage into Murasa, but only 3 of them would pay the tribute to the local tyrants, how much ogres would be needed…”
 Jaces mind drifted away, he didn’t feel the need to pay attention. He would get the answers straight out of Kazuuls head by the time they had a test. Instead he briefly touched the minds of the people in his class. Half of the class was actually paying attention. Some people where worried about trivial things, like troubles at home, or the next class. The boy in front of him had put away his pens and was now thinking about reshaping his desk. The Vedalken girl was part of the class that was paying attention, but he didn’t really need to read her mind to find that out. She was terrified of Kazuul. The boy with axe was scared as well, but to Jaces surprise not of their teacher. He was afraid of sitting in the classroom, he felt trapped inside this building, and not just in the overdramatization most teenagers felt. He felt genuinely bad, for being inside a building. Jaces mental barrier was weakening and he stopped reading the boys mind before the fear would spread into his. Kazuul was still going on about ogres and tribute, so Jace conjured up a few illusions to amuse himself until the end of class.

Oh, also, I really liked that bit about Hypercomics. Very informative and interesting. Do you mind posting a few links to hypercomics or something?
And since I'm rambling anyway: What do people here read for fun, apart from Magic novels?

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I was wondering when you were going to show off your take on Bradywalker High! :P

Yeah, one of the things we need to fix in Understanding Hypercomics is the fact that there aren't any links to the works we describe... this is especially bad since we did some 200 pages of written analysis on different works. >_> Some of the really good hypercomics include:

nawlz.com/ (Read this slowly, after you've slept well, and not on the influence of any drugs...)
platinumgrit.com/ (We stole our navigation system from this comic. Some issues NSFW)
scottmccloud.com/1-webcomics/chess/chess... (One of the only really good implementations of Infinite Canvas)
e-merl.com/derange.htm (This is the only example we have of Time Variable.)
www.5ideways.com/ (Like Platinum Grit above, this seems to have lapsed into a state of perpetual uncompletion, tragically. It's one of our only examples of Sound Enhanced.)

I'll throw more up periodically if I remember them.

As for reading... That's such a massive question for me, since I'm such a reader, but I tend towards fantasy and science fiction as a genre. I'm open to practically anything good, but I tend to enjoy the more contemplative books, stuff like Ursula LeGuin and so on. Anything that gets me thinking is great, though.

I'm a huge Terry Pratchett fan. That man is a genius.

And, of course, I love comics of pratically any sort, although again I lean more towards the speculative fantasy and science fiction end of things. Anything experimental tends to catch my eye pretty quickly, though.

Since Keeper suggested we turn this into some kind of random topic thread, (Did he say, random? Or just general topic? Let's go with random because it suits ME!) I'll inject the first bit of randomness (OOh, I'm Red/Blue today!)

Show
The class was suddenly silent when the large ogre stepped inside the classroom. He put his large cleaver against the wall, took of his ridiculously horned helmet off and wrote his name on the blackboard. “Welcome to Bradywalker High. I am Kazuul,”, he tapped on the blackboard when he said this, “and I will be giving you Algebra this year.”
Jace’s neighbor, a skinny Vedalken girl, leaned over to him and whispered: “The Tyrant of the Cliffs. I heard he once tied a boy to the front of his car for forgetting his homework.” Jace smiled at first, until he felt the pure fear coming from the girl. She truly believed a teacher would be allowed to do this. Jace smiled at the naivety, and relaxed in his chair. He looked around. Next to him was a large boy with a helmet and an axe next to his desk, looking a bit scared.  Not the kind Jace would become friends with, too much muscle. In front of him sat a another boy with a helmet, playing with his pens, welding them together with the power of his mind. Jace turned his head, to see he was behind him.
“Mr. Beleren,” Surprised Jace took his attention back to the front of the classroom. “Could you pay attention to the class, instead of the charms of Ms. Nalaar. I believe she already has a boyfriend.” Kazuul was grinning, enjoying the effect his words had on both Jace and Chandra. Jace refused to show his annoyance, but the girl behind him clearly showed her feelings, her head suddenly surrounded by flames. Kazuul ignored this and went on: “If seven treasure hunters want passage into Murasa, but only 3 of them would pay the tribute to the local tyrants, how much ogres would be needed…”
 Jaces mind drifted away, he didn’t feel the need to pay attention. He would get the answers straight out of Kazuuls head by the time they had a test. Instead he briefly touched the minds of the people in his class. Half of the class was actually paying attention. Some people where worried about trivial things, like troubles at home, or the next class. The boy in front of him had put away his pens and was now thinking about reshaping his desk. The Vedalken girl was part of the class that was paying attention, but he didn’t really need to read her mind to find that out. She was terrified of Kazuul. The boy with axe was scared as well, but to Jaces surprise not of their teacher. He was afraid of sitting in the classroom, he felt trapped inside this building, and not just in the overdramatization most teenagers felt. He felt genuinely bad, for being inside a building. Jaces mental barrier was weakening and he stopped reading the boys mind before the fear would spread into his. Kazuul was still going on about ogres and tribute, so Jace conjured up a few illusions to amuse himself until the end of class.

Oh, also, I really liked that bit about Hypercomics. Very informative and interesting. Do you mind posting a few links to hypercomics or something?
And since I'm rambling anyway: What do people here read for fun, apart from Magic novels?

that's epic
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Well, I usually take my sweet time to post in these kinds of threads, because it always feels to me that a thread like this feels more like an infodump (in that you don't actually read the posts, but rather you see who has posted about themselves in case you ever want to look it up later).

So I'll infodump myself.

Yo, I'm Dav Flamerock, I go to college in Maine. I like stories (creative writing minor!) and if I had more time I would also enjoy worldbuilding, but as it is I barely have enough time to frequent these forums more often. I try to keep up, but most of my time here is spent lurking (that may be why you haven't seen me around as much as others). I like to consider myself a Magic loremaster, but I'm also incredibly liberal with the storyline--if I don't like a piece of fiction (Test of Metal) I'll simply ignore its existence (that goes for that awful heartstone retcon too), sometimes even going so far as to write alternate stories/novels to replace those which I'm ignoring (I did this for Legions, Scourge, and Apocalypse--also I've a basic idea of an alternate development of Test of Metal that basically talks about how Tezzeret went to relearn how to use etherium but inadvertently gained some of his individuality back).

You'll also find that I type as I think, so I often use parentheses or parentheses-within-parentheses, since I often have to explain myself or use examples.

Anyway, I come up with Magic fiction ALL THE TIME, though most of it remains unwritten (soon I hope to end that trend) and only in outline form. It revolves around an alternate cast of characters I've created who tie in directly to my (MANY) decks (I play casual). So I've got my Nayan Elf who wound up on Esper during the Conflux, my Tajuru elf who found he had a natural talent for controlling Eldrazi (yeah, what's up with the whole "summoning Eldrazi during gameplay bit?"), and even a Mercadian rogue who got kicked out of the Infinite Consortium and a nameless Druid who goes around from plane to plane acting as a sort of universal mentor-figure.

Whole cast and crew. Some even have proto-novels. I'll start writing the Mirrodin Besieged one once I get more time near the end of the semester (and also after the Karn novel comes out, so I don't contradict anything). The main character of that one is Oriss.

Oh yeah, obviously I'm involved in the Extended Multiverse, and all that. Some great stuff there. Really.

I won't blather on any longer. Maybe you'll learn more of my outside-Magic life at a later point, but as this kind of thread always seems to me to be an infodump thread, I don't think I'll add it quite yet. 
"There are probably seven persons, in all, who really like my work; and they are enough. I should write even if I were the only patient reader, for my aim is merely self-expression." ~H.P. Lovecraft

My Colors Are Green and Blue I value respect, honesty, acceptance, and trust. I love to tell stories and to experience new things. At my best, I am compassionate and creative. At my worst, I am detached and submissive. My enemies are Black and White.

What I read:

Comics, Plays (I'm a theatre major, don't know if I've ever shared that before), and wow blogs (Lore and Mechanics).

More interesting things about me: I'm a little bit of a weird Melvin/Vorthos (making the two work together is fun), I like the mechanics and the story to make them work.

(I just had an idea: Neowalker High voting game! We need to dredge up the thread that started in to remember what we came up with)

You are Red/Blue!
Dav, were you ever involved in any of the Slenderman mythos stuff? Only I happened to come across someone going by your handle in one of the works... it was a truly eerie moment for me, let me tell you.

Also, I have no idea how a Neowalker High voting game would work, but I say we do it anyway!

(Dude! Jedi! You should totally write a play for M:EM!)
Well, since this has been made into a general thread.
forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?a...
Look at it! So adowable! It's a myrkat!

Personally, I've always thought that you were either gay or bisexual. No offense.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Koth kidnapping people to get to his home seems kind of... Well, you know... Creepy? Maybe I'm just reading into things, but the man's probably insane.

Contact info
In case contacting me over the forums is not possible for some reason or another, my email is morten.c.k.olsen@gmail.com. Please state who you are, because I will most likely end up ignoring people that I don't know at least somewhat.
56287226 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
You clearly overestimate my cognitive skills by assuming that I could have accumulated that knowledge independently.
Okay, I'll be sure not to make that kind of assumption in the future. Now, if you'd like to go back to the main Magic General 'forum' page (that's the one that lists all the different 'discussion threads' that people have 'posted') from this page, just press the up-arrow key on your keyboard until you reach the top of the page, then click the link that says "Magic General"--it should be in fairly small font, just above the buttons labeled "Post Reply" and "Subscribe" and the box labeled "Jump Menu", but below the blue link labeled "Preferences". It'll be in a line with a number of other small-font links with different names. From the 'forum' page you will be able to select another 'thread' to view; 'threads' that people have 'posted' to since you last looked at them will have their names listed in bold font and have the number of unread replies listed just to the right of the name. If you click that unread replies number, it will take you right to the last reply you viewed in the 'thread' so that you can continue reading all the new replies from there. To get back to the main Magic General 'forum' page, just repeat the process from the previous paragraph--don't worry if you're on a different page, all 'thread' pages will have the same basic layout, so it should work exactly the same on any page in the Magic General 'forum'.\ And remember, if you accidentally click on the wrong link and find yourself on a page you're not familiar with, there's no need to panic; you can always press the 'back' button in your browser to go back to whatever you were looking at before. It should be on the left-hand side near the top of the screen, just below the menu bar, and will probably have a picture of some kind of arrow pointing to the left on it. Hope that helps!
56957928 wrote:
56914748 wrote:
The explanation given was that since land cards represent mystical bonds to far-off places rather than actual tangible things like creatures and other permanents, a person might have more than one memory of an area, or different mages could forge a bond to different parts of a place, etc. and that simply being a unique location doesn't necessarily mean that a land card has to be legendary.
"I remember my days as a schoolboy at the Tolarian Academy..." "Really? I went there too-" "Wait don't- Well ****, there goes my childhood."
56816728 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
Allow me to extrapolate—regular game play, as defined by WotC, is tournament play. As such, Casual, EDH, Planechase, and all that other stuff is irregular Magic; if Magic at all. So the next time someone says Competitive Constructed decks are not the only decks that count in Constructed (Casual Constructed), then I can gleefully point to the definition set forth by WotC and say that Competitive Constructed is in deed the only ones that count, and that they are playing some irregular form of Magic.
56792158 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
One with Nothing is the third iteration in an attempt to make Black Lotus fair: Black Lotus: That's too good, we need to tone it down. Lion's Eye Diamond: Dammit, players are still using it in a very broken manner! One with Nothing: Alright! We got it now.
Twin2;15476002 wrote:
What happened to the really fun cards? Well you see a long long time ago the earth was ruled by dinosaurs. They were big so not a lot of people went around hassling them. Then a giant meteorite struck the earth, good bye dinosaurs. But what if the dinosaurs weren't all destroyed? What if the impact of that meteorite created a parallel dimension where the dinosaurs continue to thrive and evolve into intelligent vicious aggressive beings? What if they found a way back? ....wait that's not what happened to the fun cards that's the intro to the mario brothers movie. Get those two confused all the time, my bad.
56981618 wrote:
It's a folllow-up on the Priceless Treasures, Deadly Perils idea. See, what happened was, you got the packs that the Eldrazi had already gotten to--the had annihilated everything but the land itself. In fall, expect to open some packs and find cards covered in goopy, black oil. It's all about the marketing angle, people.
Dav, were you ever involved in any of the Slenderman mythos stuff? Only I happened to come across someone going by your handle in one of the works... it was a truly eerie moment for me, let me tell you.

Also, I have no idea how a Neowalker High voting game would work, but I say we do it anyway!

(Dude! Jedi! You should totally write a play for M:EM!)

I'm not a writer. Infact I'm the least creative part of theatre actually, I'm studying to be a stage manager. Wow this is far more than I usually reveal about myself online.

Neowalker High: We pick a walker, and vote our way to prom? Or some other major highschool event.
You are Red/Blue!
or bisexual.

You got the second one right. :P And no, I definitely don't take offense to that. Hell, I dropped enough hints!

Also, anyone else think we should create new words for ALL the Planeswalker comics? Because that was TOTALLY AWESOME.

And Fireball Your Way To Prom sounds like a fantastic tagline for... well, practically anything.
Outside of MtG, I read a lot of speculative stuff. I love the really old science fiction writers- Isaac Asimov, H.G. Wells, etc. I can still reread The Time Machine and get something new out of it. I also read several webcomics that have just as much depth and substance as any novel, graphic or otherwise. (Does anyone else here read MSPA?)

I could never get into Ursula K. Leguin's work, except for her series of short stories, Changing Planes. Almost every story there hit me hard, in a deep place. It made me think of Kino's Journey.

And Keeper, as for what made me think you were a girl... I don't know. Just an impression, I suppose. My intuition has a terrible track record, actually.
"The truth resists simplicity."
Some memorable quotes
57461258 wrote:
I know, as a good liberal scholar, that I'm supposed to respect every other belief and culture and what have you that comes along but... at the end of the day, when all is said and done, some things are just plain wrong.
92481331 wrote:
Venser "Ah, Hello Myr. This is the King. Long Time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The Myr Battlesphere. The Myr. Where the first rolls and the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose we went to the bother, the bother of fixing up Mirrodin. The King of the Multiverse going to the bother just for rolling a Myr Battlephere, just for that, we went to the bother."
92126575 wrote:
Heard a joke once: Mare goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where even ponies you thought were your friends can't be trusted. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Go to one of Pinkie Pie's great parties tonight. Party hard. That should pick you up." Mare bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pinkie Pie." Good joke. Everypony laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.
69511863 wrote:
Sure, "the average person" might go see Transformers 3 if s/he wants a good story, but that doesn't stop people from making decent movies. Hell, they even managed to make Batman into a respectable movie. "The average" person might like American Idol or Jersey Shore, but people still made The Wire.
57722938 wrote:
I think the people who would sit down and listen to a minstrel reciting Homer, or thought that novels were art, or read poetry were always a minority. It's a common viewpoint that art was better in the past because everyone's forgotten the bad stuff, while we haven't had time to forget the awful stuff that is current.
56738148 wrote:
For almost all Magic fans, the "story" of Ravnica, for example, is that it's a city world with ten guilds -- yes, for most, that's a "story." All but a tiny fraction of the fan base are entirely unaware of an elaborate plot perpetrated by Augustin IV to trick Agrus Kos and Szadek into breaking the Guildpact, thereby enabling the Azorius to take control. Likewise, the vast majority of Magic players don't know who Harbin is, or Nivea, or Al-Hayat, or Feather, or Jared Carthalion, or Rebbec, or Zagorka ... the list goes on and on.
57916198 wrote:
I'm pulling this out of nowhere and it has nothing like fact attached to it, but it cannot be disproven without breaking the fourth wall, and this is going to be my headcanon because it makes perfect sense. I posit [Tamiyo, the Moon Sage] writes the Planeswalker's Guides to planes.
And one more thing...
CANON is the collected events and details of a fictional work that come directly from its author or someone with equal authority to the author. CANNON is a weapon that fires metal balls at a target, usually a structure or a crowd of enemy combatants. Every time you confuse the two, I'm forced to break one of my own fingers.
Also, anyone else think we should create new words for ALL the Planeswalker comics? Because that was TOTALLY AWESOME.

OH PLEASE, YES!

In a new thread.

Please note: unless I'm trying to be sarcastic or humorous, most of my posts are very literal. Don't try to "read between the lines" because there is usually nothing there. I try not to imply anything when I write.
or bisexual.

You got the second one right. :P And no, I definitely don't take offense to that. Hell, I dropped enough hints!

And Fireball Your Way To Prom sounds like a fantastic tagline for... well, practically anything.

Hmm I hadn't picked up on the hints...much. Just enough to question.

Neowalker High Voting Game: Fireball Your way to Prom?

I can dig, so how does the voting work? We move our selected walker closer to Prom King/Queen, undermining the wholoe process. It's sad that I want to do this, and even sadder that I want to do more after it.
You are Red/Blue!
I was wondering when you were going to show off your take on Bradywalker High! :P

Yeah, I was waiting for a good opportunity, but it's a bit too random (in my opinion). I was planning to develop it further, but since my knowledge of the American school system came mostly from American sit-coms and 'As Told By Ginger', I didn't really thought about it. I do have a rough outline of how I want to do the characters and the story (this little bit was more a "proof-of-concept"). The major characters were all going to be the known "neo-walkers" who attended Bradywalker High (except for Bolas who runs a record company) and the supporting characters would be random legends who would either fit the role, or be funny in that part (Like Kazuul teaching math).

I might as well share my book list. I'm just gonna post random books from my shelf, but some titles will be rough translations from Dutch and might not even be published in other countries. Also, a lot of what I read is borrowed from my mother, so I can't list it (since I'm too lazy to check here shelves).

SciFi & Fantasy: Terry Pratchet (building up the collection), The Hitchhikers Guide of the Galaxy series, some Robin Hobb, some Raymond E. Feist, The Edge Chronicles (from when I was younger, but a major influence for the rest of my reading life), the Animorphs (again, when I was younger), Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel, just discovered an Asimov novel that I still have to read, Artemis Fowl, the Harry Potter series, The city of Dreaming Books (German novel), Jenifer Government, Snow Crash, Lewis Caroll omnibus

Other Books: Some random detective novels, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Calm Chaos (an Italian novel), Omega Minor (probably the most mindblowing book I've ever read, but I read it when I was a lot younger and it's a difficult book, featuring some hard-core scenes), Swarm and (very rough tranlation Tonguecat (both By Peter Verhelst, probably my favorite Belgian writer), Romanitas (Alternate Universe, what if the Roman Empire never fell), a lot of youth literature from when I was younger.

Comics: For this I'll probably have to explain that Belgium doesn't have the same tradition in comics as the USA. A lot of our comics are (close to)non-violent, childish pseudo-graphic novels (sorry best way I can think of to describe it. I believe Tintin has gotten to the US public, so there's an example) and I have a lot of those. Since I discovered American comics (and you need to go to specialized stores for those) I started very slowly to collect, as did my brother. I also enjoy graphic novels, but since they're quite expensive (and my book budget is rather limited) I don't buy them very often. I have read Scott Pilgrim, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, The League of Extraordinary Gentleman (which was hard to get into sometimes, because some classical English stories never quite crossed the Channel) and  I've probably missed a few.

Internet Readin: I've lately been on a tvtropes-binge and am following the fanfic: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationalit (thanks Keeper). I also read the paper online and follow gaming new through Kotaku and The Escapist.

OH PLEASE, YES!

In a new thread.

You got it.
Contact info
56287226 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
56914748 wrote:
56816728 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
56792158 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
Twin2;15476002 wrote:
56981618 wrote:
Sign In to post comments