[CRL] 3-D tiles for D&D Castle of Ravenloft

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
These are 3-D tiles I created to make the game a little more fun
I am incredibly envious.  I have no skill in that area and I just picked up the game at PAX East this weekend.  I would love to make something like that.  How long does it take you to create each tile?
What purpose to the numbers you've written on the tiles serve?
What did you make these from? They look similar to Dwarven Forge, but not quite...
Woops.. forgot to mention, thee look fantastic, BTW;)
I can tell you he is using Hirst Arts. its a company that sells molds to make floor tiles, walls and accesories. You use dental molds to cast the pieces and then paint to your liking.

Great job by the way. Looks great. i have a few of those molds but never thought about using them for that. (runs off to get started on doing just that)

Thanks for the comments.  The numbers correspond to the card tile from the game because shuffeling the 3d tiles is tough;)  Yes, these were constructed using Hirst Arts molds, it was a really fun project, in some ways more fun than the game.  I watched the entire Battlestar Gallactica series while making them.  I am in the process now of making 3d tiles for the WoA game.
I hate you so much.  That's probably a good 100 bucks worth of molds that I'll be buying once I have the money.  That's just too cool NOT to have.
Thanks for the comments.  The numbers correspond to the card tile from the game because shuffeling the 3d tiles is tough;)  Yes, these were constructed using Hirst Arts molds, it was a really fun project, in some ways more fun than the game.  I watched the entire Battlestar Gallactica series while making them.  I am in the process now of making 3d tiles for the WoA game.

Very cool! I do want to se the WoA when you are done... As does everyone, I assume;)
Thanks for the comments.  The numbers correspond to the card tile from the game because shuffeling the 3d tiles is tough;)  Yes, these were constructed using Hirst Arts molds, it was a really fun project, in some ways more fun than the game. 

Do you recall which specific Hirst Arts molds you used?

I watched the entire Battlestar Gallactica series while making them.  I am in the process now of making 3d tiles for the WoA game.

Wll at least you had the satisfaction of completing this project to offset the crushing disappointment of how crap the last half-season was. ;)
Advice for DMs: When you are ad lib or improve DMing don't self-edit yourself. Some of the most fun you'll ever have is by just going with whatever crazy thing crosses your mind based on what your players are doing. Advice for Players: When your DM is ad libbing there are bound to be plot holes and inconsistencies that crop up. You'll all have a lot more fun if you just roll with it instead of nitpicking the details.
Previous Advice
Advice for DMs: Always dangle a lot of plot hooks in front of you players. Anything they do not bite you can bring back and bite them later. When considering a new house rule ask yourself the question "Will this make the game more fun?" Unless the answer is a resounding yes don't do it. Advice for Players: Always tell the DM not just what you want to do but also what you are hoping to accomplish. No matter how logical the result is it will never happen if it simply never occurred to the DM. "That's what my character would do" is not a valid excuse for being a disruptive ass at the table. Your right to have fun only extends to the point where it impedes the ability of others to do likewise.
Absolutely gorgeous work.  My envy is envious.

Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept. Default module =/= Core mechanic.

Wow, very cool.  Any chance you're in central Michigan or willing to make another set? ;)  (I may or may not be kidding, drop me a line)

Alan Patrick

Associate Community Manager, D&D Adventurers League

http://dndadventurersleague.org

beautiful. Love the Chapel. I would pay a pretty penny for work like this.

beautiful. Love the Chapel. I would pay a pretty penny for work like this.

So would I ! Absolutely awesome work there. If you have the time, could be a small side business for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Do you recall which specific Hirst Arts molds you used?

Was really impressed with this project.  I hope you post more pictures of the rest of the tiles.  As a fellow HA molder, I copied down the numbers that I would use to duplicate these.

Tiles 30, 31, 39, 40 looks like they was created with:
Floor Mold #203 "Cracked Floor Tiles"
Wall Mold #40 "Basic Block"
Skulls are from #45 "Gothic Dungeon Builder"
There are wall blocks in #45, but you can cast a much larger number of them from #40 

Tile 32 looks like it was created with:
Floor tiles #201.  The ones with the fancy designs (4 center ones) I don't think are Hirst Arts
Wall ties are a mix of #45 and #43
The table or a similar one can be made from #43 as well

Tile 18 looks like it was created with:
Floor tiles #201.
The pool looks like it was made from #71
The other accessories seem to be from #45

Tile 21 looks like it was created with:
#203, 40 and 45
The stairs can be created by using the thin pieces from 45 and stacking them
The accessories should be from #85

Tile 5 looks like it was made with:
#203, 40 and 45
The coffins can be made with #46 and these should be made of Resin, not plaster

The big stairs look like they were made with:
#203, 40 and 45
It looks like there are a few custom pieces or pieces made from other kits.

All in all:

Most of those can be found on this page: www.hirstarts.com/molds/molds1.html
Amazingly awesome. Or awesomely amazing. One of those.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
That is a great job.  I have started working on my WOA set but found that the shipping of some of the stuff I want to get bad so I want to order enought for all three games.  How many 4x4 tiles are there?   How many 4x8 tiles are there in the CRL set?