House rules being used

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just looking to see what other people are using as far as house rules in their Gamma World games. I'm about to run my first game and so far I plan on using one Omega tech draw deck, giving the characters both of their origins overcharge bonuses, and (for the first session at least) using a single Alpha mutations deck.
1) We apply overcharge bonuses from both our origins. They stack.
2) New characters receive starting Omega Tech equal to the party's level / 2 (round down).
3) New characters above first level receive both a starting melee and ranged weapon.
4) Forced movement can be used to slam opponents into solid objects. This deals 1d6 damage regardless of the amount of forced movement, and it immediately ends the forced movement.
I stole this from someone else on the board but we make all novice powers at-will standard actions.
I was actually planning on using that one too. I can just imagine the angry looks when someone rolls magnetic and i have to tell them the bad news.
For starters, I'm allowing the following from the rules compendium: bullrush, charge, grab, aid attack, aid defense, aid another and total defense. I'm also nerfing the magnetic origin's novice power if it ever comes up. We're using the primary origin's overcharge bonus (except for the Engineered human since it seems to be the lone exception).

Omega tech cards use slots, just like 4th edition.

I have no idea whether these house rules were intended, but they seem right to me.

2) New characters receive starting Omega Tech equal to the party's level / 2 (round down).
3) New characters above first level receive both a starting melee and ranged weapon.

#2 is a pretty good idea.

#3 is already in the core rules, though.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

woops... Somehow I misred it as they either get a melee weapon or a ranged weapon at first level, but not both.

5) I also allow tactical maneuvers from Rules Compendium like Delong said.

At the end of an encounter if you didn't use your Alpha power in any way, shape or form, you can keep it if you want to.  Everyone shares a single card deck.  If you draw one you've had already for that character, you can draw another.  You have to keep that second Alpha card.

In my upcoming Gamma World game, I will be house-ruling the way gun ammunition works.

1. Whenever a player rolls a 1 on an attack roll with a gun, they are out of ammo.
2. At the end of an encounter in which a PC used a gun, that PC must make an ammo check, which follows the same rules as an Omega Tech charge check (10 or better passes). If they fail this check, they are out of ammo.

This is not so much a house-rule as a rules interpretation, but I have also decided to follow this process for giving new characters weapons.

1. Player describes the type of weapon they'd like.
2. GM chooses the closest approximation from the rules, taking into consideration the character's highest combat statisitc (Str/Con or Dex/Int) so as not to screw the player.
3. GM makes alterations to the printed rules as necessary. (For example, if the player requested a homemade flamethrower, this could be a heavy two-handed gun - treating the fuel it burns as ammo - but all damage the weapon deals is fire damage.)

This will eliminate some of the equipment stat-gaming that slows down the character creation process.

Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
1) We apply overcharge bonuses from both our origins. They stack.
{snip}
4) Forced movement can be used to slam opponents into solid objects. This deals 1d6 damage regardless of the amount of forced movement, and it immediately ends the forced movement.

For 1, you kinda have to, or the ENgineered Human has no point to having a +2 overcharge all, don't they? Unless you have a house rule for placing the two origins in the order the player wants. 

In my upcoming Gamma World game, I will be house-ruling the way gun ammunition works.

1. Whenever a player rolls a 1 on an attack roll with a gun, they are out of ammo.
2. At the end of an encounter in which a PC used a gun, that PC must make an ammo check, which follows the same rules as an Omega Tech charge check (10 or better passes). If they fail this check, they are out of ammo.

This is not so much a house-rule as a rules interpretation, but I have also decided to follow this process for giving new characters weapons.

1. Player describes the type of weapon they'd like.
2. GM chooses the closest approximation from the rules, taking into consideration the character's highest combat statisitc (Str/Con or Dex/Int) so as not to screw the player.
3. GM makes alterations to the printed rules as necessary. (For example, if the player requested a homemade flamethrower, this could be a heavy two-handed gun - treating the fuel it burns as ammo - but all damage the weapon deals is fire damage.)

This will eliminate some of the equipment stat-gaming that slows down the character creation process.

Your first thing sounds very much like an option out of Star Wars Saga. I like it. 

The second is a good idea,  sounds like my easy theory of, "adding an effect to a weapon drop the die damage code by one." but with more details. Mine so far is kinda ad-hic. For examples, say they want a shotgun. Take Heavy 2-hand gun, add close blast 3, drop damage dice from 2d10 to 2d8. Want a taser gun? Take light 1 handed ranged (no bullets), make damage electrical/lightning and vs Fort, drop die damage form 1d8 to 1d6. And so on. 
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT

2. At the end of an encounter in which a PC used a gun, that PC must make an ammo check, which follows the same rules as an Omega Tech charge check (10 or better passes). If they fail this check, they are out of ammo....

Very much like this idea, too.
A couple of things I noticed that I'm planning on fixing:
quick rest and extended rests are pretty much the same thing and people are complaining encounters are too easy.  Plus traps outside of combat are functionally worthless. Going to remove full heals on quick rests  while restoring healing surges from 4E.  Probably 6+ con bonus worth.  I like attrition to matter a bit.

Going to use action points

Creating a few new origins:  Bear type for sure

Going to make gear match 2nd edition and 3rd edition a bit more.  Omega tech will be  slightly more rare but slightly more sturdy as well.

Throwing out the multiple reality concepts and going back to the post apoc. format of earlier editions loosely based on fallout.
"Yeti" works almost flawlessly as "bear."
Just looking to see what other people are using as far as house rules in their Gamma World games. I'm about to run my first game and so far I plan on using one Omega tech draw deck, giving the characters both of their origins overcharge bonuses, and (for the first session at least) using a single Alpha mutations deck.

1. New characters get Omega Tech equal to level / 2 (amusing to see someone else does this).
2. Rules for hazards and Survival Days, with an expanded list of conditions you can contract if you dont have supplies or like to stick your hands into strange substances.
3. Forced Movement can be used to do Fun Stuff at the DM's discretion. Things like smashing people through walls, floors, hurling objects around, create shrapnel, anything cinematic and fun. I take player suggestions on into strong consideration so that people have more fun
4. We use the Custom Origins Compilation found here on the forums to add a huge new variety of origins to the game.
I've considered using the disease mechanic from 4e to represent lingering penalties, but without Endurance and healing surges, there's not a whole lot you can do without really, really hurting your players.

One option I considered was affected players starting encounters with a save ends condition (saved against as normal during the encounter) until they got rid of the "disease."  This way, they aren't constantly operating at a subpar level, but start off at a disadvantage.  In fact, while writing this, I think I convinced myself to draft up some mechanics...
Perhaps a mechanic where you collect points of certasin type of damage like radiation. Entering a certain area you get iradiated and get a point, after your "bar" fills up to 50% you get a condition if it fills up to 90% you get damage, if it fills to 100% your dead. 

This kind of build up can not be lowered by resting but only through treatement, like anti radiation injections or such.

Same thing can be done with diseases, zombiefication, madness, etc... 
In fact, while writing this, I think I convinced myself to draft up some mechanics...

I could post my house rules section on googledocs for you if you want. Its got a system for disease and such. I took alot of the best diseases out of 4E and did some conversions, allowing for Science and Nature checks instead of Endurance and stuff.
I could post my house rules section on googledocs for you if you want. Its got a system for disease and such. I took alot of the best diseases out of 4E and did some conversions, allowing for Science and Nature checks instead of Endurance and stuff.

Absolutely!

You can find the house rules with this link
Youll want the parts on Hazards and Survival Days.