Best source for additional setting information

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey there,

So, this edition is my first experience with Gamma World, and I'm wanting to know a bit more about the factions and monsters depicting within. Is there a previous edition of Gamma World that most seems to match the flavor, or is my only option reading the novels?

For those of who have played previous editions, can you suggest a particular edition I could take a look at in order to get some additional background information?
The previous editions did not have alpha flux and were all basically the same as far as setting information went. They weren't as "wahoo" as the new edition in my opinion; they treated the game a bit more seriously (to a degree). Although not containing official material, I did create a netbook, Secrets of the Ancients, for 4th edition that might help you understand the general tone of the game (which in turn was the same tone as the other editions). You can download it from several different sources based on a Google search. (By the way, 4th edition was a trial-run of several mechanics eventually used in the d20 system, so it may be the closest in game mechanics to the new version.)

Kerry
I'm more looking for information on monsters and secret organizations and such.
I'm more looking for information on monsters and secret organizations and such.

There has never been more than a paragraph or two of information on each... except for some Cryptic Alliance articles that appeared in Polyhedron.

Kerry

Crud. And I was really hoping to find a lunar ostrich writeup somewhere.

Entirely made-up whole-sale for the new edition... Smile

Kerry

Entirely made-up whole-sale for the new edition...

Kerry

Or not made up as the case may be!

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Entirely made-up whole-sale for the new edition...

A quick note on this comment that is starting to bug me... is it wholesale or whole-sail? I know I have heard the phrase before, although the closest I could find with a Google search was "whole cloth", which in turn makes me believe that it is "whole-sail." Or maybe I'm just crazy and this isn't a phrase at all...

Kerry
is it wholesale or whole-sail?

It is neither.

Although wholesale can mean:

• in large bulk or quantity

• extensively; indiscriminately

... and this seems to imply the intended meaning, it is incorrect usage of the term as was used in this thread.

Whole-sail (or whole sail) is unrelated and is also not used in the manner intended in your original post.

If you are making something up completely, it is "whole cloth" -- its idiomatic use is explained here.

Sincerely,
Your friendly neighborhood book editor.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Wholesale, in the context you used it, would mean "extensive; broadly indiscriminate."  Unless you meant "from whole cloth," which could accurately describe the entirety of Gamma World, or something new in this edition with no foundation in a previous edition.

Pick your version of any older GW core set and go with it.

www.waynesbooks.com/GammaWorld.html

Fourth Edition Gamma world, circa 1992, had the most detailed campaign world. The modules were often connected and expanded the world area of Meriga (America). I believe the party was mostly based out of place called Ascension. There are more pages devoted to the world in the 4E rulebook than in any other edition IIRC.

They also cover the Cryptic Alliances in more detail in the 4E rulebook. 
The D20  Gamma world edition (printed by Swords& Sorcery) has books FULL of background info.  It doesn't always match the other editions as they took it different routes but the books are full of what you are looking for.  I never played the edition and read them often just because I enjoy the fiction so much.  They even have a book called Cryptic Alliances that is completely about them and other NPC groups.
There is a book (from white wolf I believe,) that has a whole chapter on various factions in Gamma World.

It's description reads:

"The Helping Hand, the Knife in Your Back

This book expands on Gamma World’s innovative rules for communities, offers a rogue’s gallery of ready-to-use leaders, rivals and other important members of the characters’ community and presents rules and advice for characters who try to lead their own community or found a new one."

Called: "Cryptic Alliances & Unknown Enemies
From White Wolf
$22.99 $11.50 - PDF "

I was looking for background info on various factions, and though only one chapter was dedicated to that, it was worth the 11.50 in my opinion.

It's on RPG Drive thru for 11.50$
Wholesale, in the context you used it, would mean "extensive; broadly indiscriminate."  Unless you meant "from whole cloth," which could accurately describe the entirety of Gamma World, or something new in this edition with no foundation in a previous edition.

Yep. I've heard it used this way plenty of times. Must be a local phrase or something I guess. It comes from the "In Bulk Quantity" definition, meaning "The whole thing"

Im afraid you're wrong on this one, Seeker, as its a common turn of phrase around Houston. And to the question, it is "Wholesale"