3e -> 4e Geomancer Conversion (PEACH)

1 post / 0 new

Geomancer
"To me, there is no such thing as arcane or divine magic. There is just magic."

The cleric reaches out to a higher power. The wizard trusts only in eldritch tomes. The druid looks to nature for her spells. To the geomancer, however, all magic is the same.

Geomancy is the art of channeling magical energy from many sources through the land itself. A geomancer may research like a wizard, pray like a cleric, or sing like a bard, but he casts spells as only a geomancer can. In the area he calls home (be it high on a mountain, deep in a forest, or even beneath an ocean) he weaves ley lines - powerful connections to the land itself. The spells he casts through these connections with the earth are reflections of his own strength of will. As the geomancer progresses, however, the effort of gathering magic through the earth takes a physical toll on him, making him more and more like the land and its creatures.

Requirements: Trained in Nature, must have more than one class

Ley Lines (11th level): Choose one of the following terrain types: aquatic, desert, forest, hills, marsh, mountains, or plains. In that terrain, you gain a +1 bonus to all rolls.

Geomancer's Action (11th level): Whenever you spend an action point, you can shift up to your speed. You get an additional +1 bonus to all rolls granted by your Ley Lines feature until the end of your next turn.

Power Versatility (11th level): You can choose class-specific multiclass feats from more than one class. Whenever you use an at-will power, you may use your highest ability score for the attack and damage roll. This extends to encounter powers at 16th level, and daily powers at 20th level.

Drift (11th level): Choose a stage 1 drift from the list. At 16th level, choose a stage 2 drift. At 20th level, choose a stage 3 drift and your origin changes to natural if it isn't natural already. You may choose lower stage drifts if you wish.
   Stage 1:
     Survive 5 days without water
     Subsist on 1 hour/day of sunlight in lieu of food
     Able to breathe water
     Low-light vision
     +3/1d8 natural weapon
     +2 Athlethics
     +2 Acrobatics
     +2 Diplomancy
   Stage 2:
     +1 Speed
     Halve all ongoing damage you take
     +2 damage when charging
     +1 rolls to grapples
     +2 Perception
     Can continue fighting until negative surge value
   Stage 3:
     +1 AC
     +1 saves
     Fly
     Scent 30
     Tremorsense 30

Earthly Anathema
Geomancer Attack 11
You draw vengeful spirits from the land onto a foe.
Encounter ♦ Primal
Standard Action - Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Your highest ability + 4 vs. AC, Fortitude, Reflex, Will. You make one attack roll and compare against all four defenses. A target suffers the effect associated with the number of defenses that the attack hits.
Level 21: Your highest ability score + 6 vs. AC, Fortitude, Reflex, Will.
Hit (one defense): 2d4 + your highest ability modifier damage.
Hit (two defenses): 3d4 + your highest ability modifier damage and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Hit (three defenses): 4d4 + your highest ability modifier damage and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.
Hit (four defenses): 5d4 + your highest ability modifier damage and the target is restrained until the end of your next turn.
Special: If you hit four defenses and are in terrain corresponding to your Ley Lines feature, you may also petrify the target until the end of your next turn.

Earthly Annointment
Geomancer Utility 12
The land empowers your healing ability.
Encounter ♦ Primal, Healing
Standard Action - Ranged 10
Target: You or one creature
Attack: -
Effect: You spend a healing surge. The target heals the higher of yours or its surge value + half your level in hit points.
Special: If you are in terrain corresponding to your Ley Lines feature, the target instead heals the higher of yours or its surge value + your level in hit points. The target can also make a saving throw.

TerraformingGeomancer Attack 20
The land shakes and contorts itself to hinder your enemies while allowing you and your allies unimpeded movement.
Daily ♦ Primal, Zone
Standard Action - Area burst 3 within 10 squares
Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: Your highest ability + 6 vs. Reflex
Hit: 4d6 + your highest ability modifier damage
Miss: Half damage
Effect: The burst creates a zone of altered ground that lasts until the end of the encounter. It is considered difficult terrain for all except you and your allies.

Design Notes:
This is my attempt to convert the 3.5e Geomancer prestige class to a 4e paragon path. The Geomancer was no Mystic Theurge, but it had an interesting thematic thing going for it. Unlike the Mystic Theurge, it was more than simply multiple spellcasting progression (is it even possible to do a Mystic Theurge conversion?). The distinctive features of the Geomancer were Spell Versatility (which let you mix around how you casted arcane and divine spells), Drift (slowly taking on features of natural creatures), and to a lesser extent, Ley Lines (ECL bonus when you're in certain terrain).

Power source is Primal, as it seemed the closest fit. From inference, Elemental might be a good fit as well. But until that gets released, I'm ignoring that. It might have a leader/controller slant, but I can't tell since I built it as a general PP.

I am very aware that much of the homebrew here tends towards the overpowered side. I tried to avoid this. I think I succeed, but my biggest concerns are the Power Versatility and Drift features.

Power Versatility
Now obviously, like many 3e things a straight conversion isn't going to work. So I'm going to try to keep the spirit of things. Spellcasting has greatly changed in 4e so I decided to generalize Spell Versatility to apply to all powers (even Martial). The way it blended classes together also got me thinking that we could use a more generalized PP to allow more than one multi-class. Currently, the only PP, Traveler's Harlequin, is Eberron specific and has a worship requirement. In fact, the requirements are based off both the 3e Geomancer and the Traveler's Harlequin. As it stands, it looks like it empowers hybrids and multi-classes nicely. I specifically limited it to attack and damage rolls to keep rider ability scores relevant. Does it go too far/not far enough?

Drift
This was the other fun thing. I had taken the stage 2 to 5 drifts from 3.5e as a guide. Stage 1 drifts had no mechanical effect, and I leave it to players to describe their character's changes as they progress since 4e encourages flavoring the fluff. The balance in 4e is much tighter. What was passable in 3e could be overpowered in 4e. The most interesting example was a drift ability to halve all ongoing damage. This didn't happen often in 3e, but does so in 4e. I have compressed the 3e list down to 3 drift stages. I hope the list makes each drift stage choice competitive. The natural origin change at 20th seemed in line with what Drift is doing. Also, I know there is a lack of a 16th level feature but PPs don't always follow the standard structure anyway. It might be doable to compress this down to 2 drift stages, one at 16th and the other at 20th, so this becomes a 16th level feature. I have considered this but, sorting the abilities in such a way is difficult. Also, many of the 3e drifts gave natural weapons. Would simply giving a +3/1d8 natural weapon (a la Monk and Self-forged) be overpowered given everything else?

The Rest
I took some liberties with this since 3e spellcasting PrCs were pretty "empty". Poaching powers from other classes seemed to step on the toes of other PPs (Adroit Explorer, Resourceful Magician, etc.) so I decided to go with the more general conception of a Geomancer. That is, one who has different powers/effects depending on the terrain (see Final Fantasy Geomancer class) or simple mastery of the terrain. I could not find a way to do the former without making things too complicated, so I simply keyed a special effect off the Ley Lines ability. The latter I was able to manifest in the AP feature (ignore difficult terrain) and attack powers (petrification and create difficult terrain).

Is the petrification acceptable for Earthly Anathema? Petrification is rare, but functions somewhat similar to stun. So I'm a bit wary, even it grants resist all 20 and only happens under a very specific set of conditions.

I think Earthly Annointment is a bit wonky in its power level, both on and off Ley Lines terrain, since I couldn't find a similar power to base it off of.

I'm considering a sustain minor for the Terraforming, but a lot of the 4e Druid's zone powers didn't need that. As a daily, I think it should have some encounter long effect.

The math fix for the powers might be off. They're done without any weapons or implements and the bonus is to compensate for that.

Special thanks goes out to the people who contributed to the Power Stat Blo