For want of minis...

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've waded through the various paper minis and tokens provided by the wonderful GW community here, but I wanted something a little more permanent. So I went wading through Google (including video) search and found something I did not realize.

1. #6 plastic is perfect for generic shrinky-dinks.
Shrinky Dinks from #6 Plastic
Shrinky Dink DIY Guide

2. They make ink-jet shrink paper.
Shrink art from your printer

3. Amazon sells this, but it is expensive.
Ink jet shrink film

4. You don't need to buy the exensive stuff!
Regular shrink film works with sandpaper

So, I intend to have a go at it with my inkjet printer and regular (but sanded) shrinky dink paper. GW minis that are rather permanent! (I just need to find gamepiece bases now.)
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
You might try a place like this: www.boardgamedesign.com/pages/go_shoppin...
for plastic stands.  There are a few variations of these stands.  Google Bing Bang for board game pieces and you should find a few more.
I intend to have a go at it with my inkjet printer and regular (but sanded) shrinky dink paper.

I've done that before and wasn't really happy with the result (i.e. wasn't worth the effort for me... so I decided to just print on a regular transparency instead). However, I've heard of someone else doing it and being happy with the results, so be sure to tell us how it goes

I've waded through the various paper minis and tokens provided by the wonderful GW community here, but I wanted something a little more permanent. So I went wading through Google (including video) search and found something I did not realize.

1. #6 plastic is perfect for generic shrinky-dinks.
Shrinky Dinks from #6 Plastic
Shrinky Dink DIY Guide

2. They make ink-jet shrink paper.
Shrink art from your printer

3. Amazon sells this, but it is expensive.
Ink jet shrink film

4. You don't need to buy the exensive stuff!
Regular shrink film works with sandpaper

So, I intend to have a go at it with my inkjet printer and regular (but sanded) shrinky dink paper. GW minis that are rather permanent! (I just need to find gamepiece bases now.)

Any particular reason you want shrinky dink?  Do you want them to stand and be see through, or are you wanting them to be disk?  

Just wondering because you could get similar result with card stock paper, and depending on if you wanted tokens or not, a 1" hole punch.

I've been making the cardstock stand-up minis, but they aren't really that durable. That's why I am looking into the shrinky-dinks. I want to be able to throw the minis into the box with the rest of the stuff and have them still able to stand up the next session.

And if it doesn't work to my desire, I'll still have shrinky-dink paper for my kids to play with.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I've been making the cardstock stand-up minis, but they aren't really that durable. That's why I am looking into the shrinky-dinks. I want to be able to throw the minis into the box with the rest of the stuff and have them still able to stand up the next session.

And if it doesn't work to my desire, I'll still have shrinky-dink paper for my kids to play with.

Well as for tokens, you could always print them as 1" circles, cut them with a 1" hole punch, then mount them on a 1" washer.  It would be cheap and easy and if you put a finish (spray matt or glosse would be fine) they would likely stand up to the test of time.