Few quick questions from a newcomer to the game.

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm Going to be starting a campaign of GW this sunday with friends an I had a few basic questions that I was hoping some of the people on the board could help me with. 

first are some basics questions.

1.I was wondering if Hit points were supposed to be so low at the first Lvl. I'm wondering if you add the 5 per lvl at lvl 1 or are your hit points at lvl 1 just 12+ con mod? it just seems a bit low. I've got 15 hP an that's on the higher end in my group.

2. the starting gear table, In the book it says roll 1d4+1 but the table is a D20 table. Am I reading it wrong or can you only get 4 of the things on the table?

3. I was wondering if anyone has played while DMing also? No one in my group really wants to DM an I enjoy playing also. I did it when we played D&D 4E an I was wondering if it is any harder to do here? I know some people don't really see how it's ever possible but I usually make it work.

that's all I got right now but I'm sure I'll have more soon. 

1. It's 12 + your CON score, not the mod.

2. The 1d4+1 denotes how many times you roll on the table, so you roll 2-5 times to get starting gear.

3. You could use your character as an NPC.

1. For Hit points its actually 12 + you constituion score.  Not the modifier. So if you had a con of 12, you would have 24 hitpoints. See page 31 of rule book for this one.

2. For stating gear you roll 1d4+1, and that is how many times you get to roll on the stating gear table. You can randomly determine which gear table to use or use the consolidated gear table that is in one of the threads.  Not sure where it is myself so I will have to go look for it and edit this when i do.

3. Ive done it before in other games when I could not find enough players. I just allow the actuall players to take the lead and if they get stumped on what to do I would make a roll to see if my player would have any info to offer the party, that way I would not spoil the fun for them.

wow I need to learn to type faster. 

LeGrognard has it correct.
1. Haha,..wow. yeah that makes sense now.

2. Also makes sense.

Another  thing I just wanted to be clear on, So, our base stats NEVER change right? I mean my wisdom will never get any higher, not even after lvl up?
So, our base stats NEVER change right?

That's right. It is assumed that your Gamma World character is already in his/her/its prime. :D

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Notably, since your character adds level instead of half-level, this accounts for the plethora of bonuses your typical D&D character might get over 10 levels.

I was going to link to the thread in "What's a DM to do?" called "Is it okay for the DM to play a character too?" but since your question was more specifically "is it harder in GW than D&D?" the answer is probably no. 
Notably, since your character adds level instead of half-level, this accounts for the plethora of bonuses your typical D&D character might get over 10 levels.

I was going to link to the thread in "What's a DM to do?" called "Is it okay for the DM to play a character too?" but since your question was more specifically "is it harder in GW than D&D?" the answer is probably no. 

Could you still post the link?
I suppose I could!  

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... 

Awesome, this will help with my decision a lot.
I suppose I could!  

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... 

Thank you kind sir. Laughing
Another  thing I just wanted to be clear on, So, our base stats NEVER change right? I mean my wisdom will never get any higher, not even after lvl up?

Your base stats don't change but everything that they are used for is effected by your level as well.

This is encapsulated in the "level bonus" on pg 32 of the rulebook. As an example, you might have an at-will power where the attack is Wisdom + your level vs reflex. Although your wisdom doesn't increase, you get that level bonus which is essentially the same thing.

If you look at the characers stats on page 31 of the rulebook, most of them say "your level + (stat)" Once again, while your base stats don't change, everything that they effect does.
ok, got another question that popped up in my group, It seems that in the first book some of the novice powers are at-wills an some are encounters. Is this a typo? because in the far-go all of the origins are at-wills. An I think it would suck to roll two origins that both have encounter novice powers. So, typo or not?
ok, got another question that popped up in my group, It seems that in the first book some of the novice powers are at-wills an some are encounters. Is this a typo? because in the far-go all of the origins are at-wills. An I think it would suck to roll two origins that both have encounter novice powers. So, typo or not?

Not a typo, but some people seem to play with all Novice powers as at-wills.

(I don't, myself.)

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
1.I was wondering if Hit points were supposed to be so low at the first Lvl. I'm wondering if you add the 5 per lvl at lvl 1 or are your hit points at lvl 1 just 12+ con mod? it just seems a bit low. I've got 15 hP an that's on the higher end in my group.

Don't feel bad, everybody makes this mistake the first time round... ;)

3. I was wondering if anyone has played while DMing also? No one in my group really wants to DM an I enjoy playing also. I did it when we played D&D 4E an I was wondering if it is any harder to do here? I know some people don't really see how it's ever possible but I usually make it work.

If anything it should work better with Gamma World.  Treasure is completely random - just draw Omega Tech or roll for ancient junk.  The whole game can prettymuch run itself, you just act as a rules expert, run initiative, track monster hps/conditions, and so forth.  Should only be a little tougher than Castle Ravenloft, really.  Of course, if you want to come up with your own adventures, you have to exercise some care not to have your DMPC too tailored to the plot or give things away or whatever, but you sound accustomed to that.

We'll probably never know, as there's been no move from WotC towards issuing errata for GW, in spite of obvious errors, omissions & inconsistencies.  Personally, I prefer to make all* Novice powers At-Will and Standard Action, and I'm not alone in making that sort of ruling or modification (you may want to tone down some of the strongest powers before making them at-will - Brickbat stands out, for instance.)  

*disclaimer
(Unless the nature of the power really requires it to be a minor or something - like it's an add-on to a regular attack... which I don't think any are, BTW, but I mention it because I broke my own rule in at least one custom origin I did...).

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Semi-random: I ruled that all novice powers became standard action at-wills.  Both of my yeti players chose to keep theirs as encounter minors, because they really enjoyed the ability to use it alongside a standard action attack, even if it was only once.

that's all I got right now but I'm sure I'll have more soon. 

I do that in a lot of games due to schedules and difficultly in finding players usually keeping my tables to 2-3 players. 

For Gamma World, go a head and make yourself a normal character (with everyone else, part of the fun), but the Supporting Non-Player Character does not draw Alpha mutations. He draws Omega tech as normal. I've found in a couple of short test games that that allows them to help, but no overshadow the PCs.

If you guys rotate GM duties, then you already have a character. Just whomever runs the game that week does not draw Alpha mutations.  
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT