Rewnown for taking 50 Damage

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
As a druid, do I get the 2 renown points if my bear takes 50 damage in one session?
I would say that call would be on the DM and if you want to argue it I would talk to the store owner.

I'm afraid you wouldn't.  While your companion is more permanent than say, a Summoning Power, it's pretty much the same idea.  If you use a Figurine of Wondrous Power, even if you spend a healing surge to give it extra hp, it's not 'you', and attacks to it neither have to test your defenses, nor do they reduce your hit point total.  I realize the Bear will suck up your surges, but that's not really the same thing.

That renown award is intended for Defenders.  Other characters can, on occasion, soak that kind of damage, but you really can't expect to get it as a Leader.  If you do, great, but that's a bonus, not something you're likely to get.

"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
On the other hand, you're attacking through the companion, and I'd allow you to get the attack renown award from an attack you made through the companion... so as a DM I'd be inclined to allow you to get the "defender" renown reward in this fashion also.  The award is about soaking damage for the party, and the companion allows druids to do this after a fashion for the party. 

So... ask your DM and make a good argument for it.  But don't be surprised if they say no... this is a gray area and DMs are allowed to disagree with players on those.

That is a good point- damage inflicted by your companions should count as "your" damage.  I think the main issue with using the Bear to claim the damage award is that the consequences for your Bear dying are almost trivial.  There's a big difference between a Knight taking that kind of beating and coming close to death and going "Eh, I'll just throw my Bear out into the middle of all those guys, it only costs me a surge to bring him back".
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
I would say if the Bear took the damage without dying then I would give it to the Druid.  But if it dies 2 or 3 times and your adding all that up to get 50 then no way.
For those unfamiliar with the druid's bear... Spending a surge during combat when the bear is unconcious brings the bear back at your surge value, also their max hit points are only half of yours (so at level 2, ~18hp, if you really work for it).  So all in all, the bear taking 50 points of damage is going to hurt alot more than you yourself taking the 50 points of damage.  Healing the bear will expend your surges, and your resources.

Once the bear is reduced to 0, the only way to get it back is to spend a surge, which means no bonus to the healing from whatever powers your leaders or others might have, that they could usually use on an unconcious ally.

The only benefits the bear has, is IF it is still concious at the end of combat, then it will heal to full without an expenditure.  If it's unconcious at the end of combat, you'll have to spend another healing surge anyways to get it back.  The other benefit is if you second wind, both you and the bear will get to heal, but since we're talking about just the bear taking the damage and not trying to count some combination of you and the bear this should be fair enough.

Honestly, if the bear takes 50 points of damage in an encounter (almost 3 x the bears max health), I'd say you've more than earned it, especially since to do so you'll probably have to revive the bear a few times, each time at the cost of a raw surge.

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

@nightwalker450

The Bear can not go unconscious.  Once it is reduced to 0 it disappears. And the Druid would need to spend a surge and a minor action to resummon the Bear.
@nightwalker450

The Bear can not go unconscious.  Once it is reduced to 0 it disappears. And the Druid would need to spend a surge and a minor action to resummon the Bear.

Yeah, thats exactly what I was talking about, I only used unconcious as counter to concious... I guess the better term would be not present.

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape