Acquired FiFG, question on Novice Powers-

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I have FiFG now. Neat stuff. One question. 

I noticed that all the Novice Powers in it are At Will, color coded green bars. Was all the Novice powers in the core set supposed to be At Will as well, and some got left as encounter? Or do many people here just have Novice powers work as at-wills?  
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT
I think the designers realized that having your novice powers be encounter only was a bit of a rip for the few Origins that had it. So in FiFG and LoG, the novice powers are all at-will.

In my game, I have made the Core-Book origins all at-will novice powers as well. For a few of them, I either decreased the range (e.g., plant) or otherwise toned down the effects, but otherwise ran as is.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
On just a quick scan of the novice powers, I think most of them could be balanced out by making it 'all creaures in burst/blast' instead of selective. Still dang useful, but not somethng you want to fire off every round. 
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT