3/9/2011 BoaB: "Evolving Event Decks: Infect and Defile"

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Well, that was... different. 
I like this direction. A lot. In fact, when JVL deviates from the standard formula he's got, it makes for INCREDIBLY good articles. 
That said, I thought there were some issues. Again, there is an issue of budget. While I liked how he provided alternatives, I think it should be much more focused on the low-budget side, while having a adding-money or non-budget section later in the article, like JMS. Also, a good precon/event deck evolution probably needs 2-3 weeks. You say you played games and decided on the changes above, but let's see game logs of those! It looks as though you put a lot of work in before you show us any info, but a lot of complaints could be silenced just by including those games. 
I haven't been very vocal about it, but I really haven't liked where BoaB has wound up now. I don't like the rare/mythic count, I don't like the in-depth game logs of only a few games, and I REALLY don't like how uninspired some of the decks are. However, this was a huge step in the right direction, in my opinion.
If I could make a suggestion: You clearly have an idea for what's budget, but some of the complaints on the boards would be silenced by talking more about budget. For example, "I know Darkslick Shores isn't a budget card, but it fits in a lot of decks, it'll be in Standard for a long time still, and it really makes your decks a lot better, not just this one." Dual lands and similar cards are easy sells, even to people on a budget, because they're always useful. But you aren't even TALKING about it!
Fight for the Cookie! click for a secret message!
Show
click (again) for a secret message!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
and again!
Show
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ
Show
WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?
Creator of:
Show
Standard:
Show
Soul Stealer Angeltap Bloodchief Ascension Black Knights Infect Knights Mono-Green Control Turbo Bant The Solution
Extended:
Show
Tight Sight 2010 Dralnu Fog Extended Knights Kor Dad Bolas Ramp
Legacy:
Show
DragonForce Tight Sight 2011 Hulk-Tooth All-in-Black Wake
Wins I have Witnessed[sblock]
57070368 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
Even metallix is gone now.
I'm right here.
I've built a deck similar to this one, and I've gotta give props to Sleep in the current format, where decks rely on the strength and efficiency of their creatures, and rely on a superior board possition to grind out a win. Sleep allows you to completely negate your opponant's board possition for 2 attack phases, which is outstanding in a deck where a vatmother and a plague myr can put your opponent on a 2 turn clock.

great artical, massive improvement over last week, and while 'budget' may still be an issue to some with even the 'budget' evolution containing 5 rares lands + 3 planeswalkers, I think it's a great value deck for the money.

I've always thought the U/B event deck was better than most people give it credit for.

Caw blade being the bad matchup may not be as bad as it seems if the meta shifts either to have a lot of hate for caw blade, or a lot of people fearing to play caw blade.

it's noticable that he took out the only proliferation tool (clasp) whcih could otherwise keep those counters ticking over once a control players dominates your creatures. Although I guess the non budget version can make use of the land, which avoids journey, DoJ and all counter spells.
I do like your articles, but I think it would be better to play against opponents that can play their deck. When opponents make so many obvious misplays it just seems like your deck can only win against people who are bad at magic.
When opponents make so many obvious misplays . . .

Example, please.
It wasn't so much that his opponents were making misplays as it was that his draws were unrealistically powerful against less than average draws from the opponents. In all 4 of the games he had crazy amounts of counterspells which, especially in game 1 of each match, is unlikely because of only 4 maindeck counterspells. It would be nice if JVL would show some losses as well so that we could see where the deck is weak. I would expect that the majority of Valakut matchups would be bad for this deck, as that is the experience I have had (summoning trap is killer when you aren't sitting on two backup counterspells)... I've suspected for a while that JVL is only showing us his best matches...
great artical, massive improvement over last week, and while 'budget' may still be an issue to some with even the 'budget' evolution containing 5 rares lands + 3 planeswalkers, I think it's a great value deck for the money.

This deck is most certainly a budget deck, Jace has had so many printings that getting a few should be a cakewalk, and the rare lands are hardly difficult to acquire.  If your budget can't handle $20~30, why are you even playing Magic?  The entire freaking deck can't be nothing but uncommons and commons if it wants to be mildly competetive.
I agree.  I never read his actual matchup reports because they're always slanted, and what's the point of an n = 2?  That's essentially meaningless.  That's what I liked about the former columnist who would build, test 5-10 matches, tweak, test again with another 5-10 matches... and we don't need the grueling play-by-play of exactly how each match played out.  I get it, there are "God draws" in almost any deck you build. 

As far as the artcile, the less-than-budget version seemed like the same list.  IMO, you NEED a playset of Phyrexian Crusaders because they're so hard to kill (not sure what their price is on MtGO).  Your infect creature count seemed a bit low, and most of them were 1/1s... although I guess the theme of your build was to be more of a Phryexian Broodmother/Corrupted Conscience deck than anything else, sort of like the old Steel Golem burn decks of my youth. 
I've played the budget deck and modified it myself (but only added one Fat Mama) and I'd like to add:

A far better combo with Vatmother is Consuming Vapors. It's just obscene for your opponent when they need a chump blocker for vatmother and you can win the game with that spell. They suddenly have to draw and play TWO chump blockers, because of the rebound. And yes, it's in the deck!

It was absolutely adorable how many Mirran Crusaders were eaten alive by Fat Mama as she swang in for the kill.

Also, one game was hysterical when I ate no less than 6 chumps with consume the meek (on my turn) before attacking with her. quest doesn't like this deck!

This deck is most certainly a budget deck, Jace has had so many printings that getting a few should be a cakewalk, and the rare lands are hardly difficult to acquire.  If your budget can't handle $20~30, why are you even playing Magic?  The entire freaking deck can't be nothing but uncommons and commons if it wants to be mildly competetive.

$20 - $30? It's $20 just for the Event Deck. With his changes you're looking at closer to $80 (at least) if we use something like Star City as a baseline. Sure, prices for MtGO cards are usually significantly cheaper, but not everybody plays online. Sure, you can trade for things, but the things you're trading away are going to be similar in value to what you're getting. Ease of acquisition doesn't necessarily mean budget.

I feel for JVL, though. He's trying to walk a narrow bridge by making these decks competitive with Tier 1 decks. Based on the non-stop whining in these threads, I'd say there's room for multiple columns, since a budget deck and a tournament quality budget deck are two very different things in my mind. If you're playing magic with friends on a budget, your concept of a budget deck is probably something like $20. If you're trying to win FNM's and Gameday's with a budget deck, then JVL's concept of a budget (which is generally around $75 - $100) seems much more reasonable.

I've played the budget deck and modified it myself (but only added one Fat Mama) and I'd like to add:

A far better combo with Vatmother is Consuming Vapors. It's just obscene for your opponent when they need a chump blocker for vatmother and you can win the game with that spell. They suddenly have to draw and play TWO chump blockers, because of the rebound. And yes, it's in the deck!

It was absolutely adorable how many Mirran Crusaders were eaten alive by Fat Mama as she swang in for the kill.

Also, one game was hysterical when I ate no less than 6 chumps with consume the meek (on my turn) before attacking with her. quest doesn't like this deck!

Is Fat Mama the Vatmother, I assume? If so, why would a Mirran Crusader ever get eaten alive by her? He's got Pro-Black.

I have a "play mistake" question.  In the second valakut game, as far as I know valakut does not run any counter/bounce/vines cards at the moment.  If that is the case, is there a reason to not wait until the draw step to kill the oracle?  In other words see what the next card to be drawn is?  At the end of the step, it can't be played if it is a land and I think the information would help you more than him, right?
This deck is pretty tight. But I see a few flaws:

ONE] He did not include Phyrexian Crusader.
TWO] He did not include Plague Stinger.
THREE] He did not include Phyresis for the non infectors.
FOUR] He did not test it enough.
[/sblock] [sblock=signature] I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Created with Rum and Monkey's
At current Star City prices, that's $85 just in rares and mythics added to the "budget" version of the deck, and right after the knight deck last week that so many people jumped on about not being budget at all.. I agree about the "play testing" seeming to always showcase amazing draws as well. I still enjoy the articles, but the budget moniker is really being pushed here..
Yeah. That is outrageous.
I am Red/Black
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
This deck is pretty tight. But I see a few flaws:

ONE] He did not include Phyrexian Crusader.
TWO] He did not include Plague Stinger.
THREE] He did not include Phyresis for the non infectors.
FOUR] He did not test it enough.

I think Squadron Hawks being everywhere kind of hurts Plague Stinger.  The fact that your 2-drop flier is a lot more effective against players doesn't help when it just trades with a completely expendable Squadron Hawk.  Phyrexian Crusader was probably just deemed too expensive.  Phyresis is terrible.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Phyresis is for the Creeping Tar Pits. Doh!
I am Red/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black

Tainted Strike is better for that, Phyresis would just fall off when it turns back into a land
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.

Tainted Strike is better for that, Phyresis would just fall off when it turns back into a land

Heh. I feel dumb...
I am Red/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Sign In to post comments