3/9/2011 StF: "Germ Warfare: The Flavor of Living Weapon"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.

"Check the mechanic: the germ is the ammunition..."

That is one of the DOPEST things ever.  I salute you, Magic:  the Gathering.

It's stuff like this that makes me love Magic all over again...

You know, part of me wonders if the Germ Mechanic isn't the wrong flavor, in the end. Don't get me wrong, I like living weapons, but part of me thinks that a peice of equipment that starts off living isn't... Necrotic enough.

In a way, I would have liked to have seen them come into play and attach themselves right away to a creature, like Sledge Piston, and then when they become unattached to a Non-Token creature, then the Germ would take over. While this doesn't work for cards like Mortepod, I think one exception can be made.

In either case, I do like the cards, but I feel that somehow, the horror factor isn't strong enough with these cards.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)

To actualy answer Jay's question
Melira was born to the Sylvok, but was rejected for being "deformed" she has some sort of immunity to the Metalic growths present on all Mirrans, based on the mechanic of her keepers I'd say that immunity might also protect her from the phyrexian oil.
Also she's been raised, and trained, by Thrun, who knows more about what happened in the original Mirroden Block then any other Mirran.

Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
Out of all the colors, the color values of red might be most diametrically opposed to Phyrexia's ideals. Ask a red-aligned goblin or Vulshok shaman what he or she thinks about "universal ascendance into a machine hierarchy of perfection, ruled by the singular vision of a Father of Machines," and instead of an answer you might get a grunt and a spit at best, or at worst, a fire-fueled fight to the death for your insult.

This makes a lot of sense, and actually I've been quite intrigued by the hints of red Phyrexians that we've seen, like the "All will be reforged in the fires of glory" flavor text on [some card I can't remember now and am too lazy to look up.] It's interesting to ponder just how a red Phyrexian would think of what they're aiming for?

Power? That might be one thing. "Oh look, I can cause even bigger explosions and worse mayhem!" But that seems like it ignores the very communal/connected elements of Phyrexia, and that honestly seems like a cop-out.

So it seems to me there has to be some way of harnessing the passion of the red-aligned in a more serious way. Their passion for war, maybe?

I don't know. I keep thinking about things that might make sense and discovering my logic sliding into Black.
I want to know who Ghalma the Shaper is, you know, from Ghalma's Warden.

I'm a fan of metalcraft personally and I'd love to see what a legendary creature could do with it.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Is this the first this idea of the little germs controlling the equipment has been discussed? I must confess the buildup to this particular set never really grabbed me so maybe I missed a previous article, but now I find this living weapon concept to be just delightfully demented. 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
Maybe Ghalma's a planeswalker?

Anyways, about the article... wasn't there another article just the other day that said newts weren't used just because that would confuse new players? But now, according to this one, there's justification for the germs that actually makes sense? What's the real story?

Anyways, about the article... wasn't there another article just the other day that said newts weren't used just because that would confuse new players? But now, according to this one, there's justification for the germs that actually makes sense? What's the real story?

Both
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
Out of all the colors, the color values of red might be most diametrically opposed to Phyrexia's ideals. Ask a red-aligned goblin or Vulshok shaman what he or she thinks about "universal ascendance into a machine hierarchy of perfection, ruled by the singular vision of a Father of Machines," and instead of an answer you might get a grunt and a spit at best, or at worst, a fire-fueled fight to the death for your insult.

This makes a lot of sense, and actually I've been quite intrigued by the hints of red Phyrexians that we've seen, like the "All will be reforged in the fires of glory" flavor text on [some card I can't remember now and am too lazy to look up.] It's interesting to ponder just how a red Phyrexian would think of what they're aiming for?

Power? That might be one thing. "Oh look, I can cause even bigger explosions and worse mayhem!" But that seems like it ignores the very communal/connected elements of Phyrexia, and that honestly seems like a cop-out.

So it seems to me there has to be some way of harnessing the passion of the red-aligned in a more serious way. Their passion for war, maybe?

I don't know. I keep thinking about things that might make sense and discovering my logic sliding into Black.

Also, it seems that red Phyrexians supply the others with chrome, as well as managing something called the "furnace layer".  Perhaps red Phyrexians are in charge of mining and executions (by smelting down disruptive phyrexians for repurposing).

Hey, maybe the mining angle will mean Phyrexian dwarves! 
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm

They didn't use newts because it would confuse new players. So creative thought, "Well, why isn't Phyrexia using newts?" And thus we learned they're pulling them out of the vats before they get to the 'newt' phase.
In the bad joke department: did Doug get infected? That's what you get for hanging around the Phyrexians and getting to serious with the flavor I guess.

But jokes aside: I wish you a quick recovery Doug, hope it's nothing to serious.
Thank you for answering my question!!
Kinda funny in retrospect though. I was totally hoping that there would be some miracle happen in the mountains...BUT NOT YET!!