Player Draw Decks?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do you guys allow players to bring their own draw decks or not? So far I've only played where the DM has a deck and players draw from that, but I know the rules state that players can bring their own twinked out draw decks. I'd love to hear from both sides. Thoughts?
I used to, but people tend to stack them... so I only use 1 deck(mine)for all draws... it has 1 of every card,,, except for the two-headed one of course... and after every draw, its reshuffled... completely random, everytime.
Why did the hoop cross the road?
It's been discussed quite a bit.  You can find the most recent thread here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Everyone in my group prefers to just use the GM deck. It's more fun with surprises. Most of our cards are proxies though because we're cheap college kids. We have a lot of homebrew cards in our set as well.
yeah we just use a communal deck too. It feels a bit more fair, and a lot cheaper for players. Looking at the other threads, it doesn't seem like anyboy plays by the standard player deck rules, where you can just use the deck that you bring (and spent 100 bucks building). Everybody seems to have created their own house rules, some of which are very creative.
For the record, I would allow it, if my players did it.
Do you guys allow players to bring their own draw decks or not?

Sure. My group has a few of the boxed-set decks, so anyone is welcome to choose a smaller, more predictable stack of alpha powers that fits their origins more. The option is hardly used, but it provides an answer to "this game is silly... why do powers have to constantly be random and nonsensical?"

We haven't done this for omega-tech (i.e. random treasure is supposed to be random), but I probably still wouldn't have a problem with a player spending his own money to add cards to the game.

provides an answer to "this game is silly... why do powers have to constantly be random and nonsensical?"

This is a good point. The rulebook does make it seem that characters have trained in some way to access other powers. I'd rather that personal decks be left out for the sake of fairness but that is a very valid point.
I'd rather that personal decks be left out for the sake of fairness

Right. I felt the same way until I realized that all my players could make a personalized deck out of the master deck if they so desired (without spending money). Totally up to them.

Oddly, the ones that had complained about the powers being random and nonsensical decided not to build a personalized deck (i.e. preferring completely random, which they don't complain about anymore).

We have three gm decks as a group and 18 booster packs.  So when we play GW again we will be using personalized decks for alpha mutations and omega tech.  So all cards are put in a community pile for all players to draw from.   We will be using 10 card decks, with only one uncommon and no rare cards in a personal deck.  All rare cards will be in the Gm deck.  A player can have no more than two similar cards in a deck, but as many similar pairs as a player desires.  So we are going to play with personal decks, but there are limits and all decks will be drawn from a community pile of cards.

We all use the same deck with the extra rule that if you draw something that character has already had, you can discard it to draw again (but you don't have to).  If the characters survive long enough, that will eventually become impossible.  If you get another card you already had, you have to keep the second one.

Deck building seems to be about getting the same cards again and again.  For some reason, we all want random variety, not predictible repitition. 
None of my players have wanted to make their own decks.  We enjoy the randomness of drawing from one big deck.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

I'm currently running Gamma World as a casual play event, 1/wk for 2hrs, at a local store.  I allow player decks because it would be a gross dis-service to the hosting business to discourage people from buying their stuff.

In a campaign, I would not allow player decks.  But, I would use all the mutations/tech of the 'rad series,' based on the on-line lists available, plus pently of original tech - using some alternate means of randomization (like dice, or DM whim).

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

I am about to start a campaign and was debating this issue. On one side I like the Idea of players being able to make custome decks that suit their characters ( like A radioactive character with explode in their deck,a eletro kinetic with I battery, or a swarm character with body flurry or whatever its called. That's cool, I support them wanting to customize their characters. But If players like the idea of manifesting random powers than I'm ok with that too, So I guess I don't mind if they do bring decks, I think there's a fine line though, especially when it comes to Omega tech, I was thinking of limiting the amount of rare cards they could put in a deck. I donno though, may just have to test it out. advice?
I allow player decks because it would be a gross dis-service to the hosting business to discourage people from buying their stuff.

Agreed. It's important to keep in mind that low sales of booster packs will translate into WotC deciding that publishing more GW material is probably unprofitable.

I donno though, may just have to test it out.

Whatever you decide, please report back how it goes. It will be helpful to myself and others on this board I am sure.

I think there's a fine line though, especially when it comes to Omega tech, I was thinking of limiting the amount of rare cards they could put in a deck. I donno though, may just have to test it out. advice?

While players customizing an alpha deck makes some sense - they can be sticking to mutations with a 'theme' based on their origins - yeah, Omega tech doesn't make quite as much sense.  Why would one character tend to find mini-tanks, while others never do? 

One variation that might at a teeny bit of verisimilitude or constistency without throwing out the mechanic entirely, goes like this:

The DM holds all the Omega tech, initially.  This can be the DM deck, or whatever Omega cards have come from other sources - boosters, variant cards the DM printed out, etc.  The DM places individual cards, or allows draws from a customized DM deck based on what he thinks it is apropriate for the PCs to find in a given area.  However, when a player fails an Omega Charge check, he retains the card, even if he doesn't salvage it.  The idea is, he's carrying around the non-functioning item in the hopes of getting it re-charged.   Once the player has accumulated a minimum-size deck of failed Omega Tech, he can begin rolling to draw from that 'deck' instead of from the DMs.  Drawing a card from his deck represents finding something that gets that item working again - usually a power cell or something like that.  The player can, of course, discard items he doesn't want anymore.  It's up to the DM whether 'salvaged' items can still go into the deck to be 'recharged' or whether he wants to track them separately.  Similarly, it's up to the DM to impose any limits on how much non-functioning crap the PC can carry around - or come up with some rationale why he can carry so much stuff (chargeless mini-tanks extra-dimensionally collapse into a convenient pocket-sized cube, perhaps).

I allow player decks because it would be a gross dis-service to the hosting business to discourage people from buying their stuff.

Agreed. It's important to keep in mind that low sales of booster packs will translate into WotC deciding that publishing more GW material is probably unprofitable.

I'd hope that WotC would be able to note the difference between a RPG book or expansion selling well, and booster packs selling poorly.  If Gamma World, FiFG & LoG sold well, and boosters sold badly, the message would be clear, and it wouldn't be "don't publish anymore GW books," it'd be "stop trying to push CCGs on the RPG market."

That's what I'd hope

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

..,I think there's a fine line though, especially when it comes to Omega tech, I was thinking of limiting the amount of rare cards they could put in a deck. I donno though, may just have to test it out. advice?

I am limiting all rare cards, alpha and omega to the gm deck.  It's a choice that allows the cards to comme into play, but not limit them to one pc.  Also, I think it will help define such mutations and tech as rare when limited to the gm deck.

I am not to concerned with omega tech player decks and a player defining what they find.  I think with the pace of leveling, the ability to salvage omega tech, player curiosity and the ability for the Dm to control the pace players draw omega tech, can mitigate any break of virisimilitude created from player created omega tech decks. 
...," it'd be "stop trying to push CCGs on the RPG market."

That's what I'd hope

I have no interest in CCG's and even less experience in playing them, yet I really like the concept of player Omega tech and Alpha mutation. I think it would be lame for WotC not to explore the posabilities of card mechanics in a role playing game, they have the most experience with card games.  What you view as a pushing CCGs on the RPG market, I see as exploring with different game mechanics.  It is  a no brainer as far as I'm concerned that the game company that produced the most successful CCG in history would experiment with those concepts in RPGs.  for our group, the Gamma World card mechanic is a win.

I have no problem with them marketing booster packs of cards.  If the game mechanics remain fun and  compelling, then I'm going to buy and play even if they are sold in decks and booster packs.  If they can sell them, make some money and pay thier mortgages, then I'm fine with it as long as I am having fun.   I don't like CCGs, I really don't know why?  But I just don't see card mechanics and booster pack marketing turning my RPGs into CCGs. 
I talked to the group an we decided that we would have a limit on the amount of rares in an alpha deck an to make them some what themey. An we will raise the amount of rares allowed as well as the card minimum allowed in a alpha deck when you are able to draw more alpha's per encounter. We also agreed to Keep a single Omega deck because random Items make more sense, an as such trading Items are all game also.
I wish WotC would release the cards for Gamma World Cards in non-random expansions, like all the goddam Munchkin ones I see at my LGS.

I would buy every expansion if that was the case. Maybe even two.... 
http://collectingrealities.blogspot.co.nz/
I wish WotC would release the cards for Gamma World Cards in non-random expansions, like all the goddam Munchkin ones I see at my LGS.

I would buy every expansion if that was the case. Maybe even two.... 

Agreed. Randomized booster packs dont even attempt to mask their scheme of gouging people's money to get good cards.
Some people enjoy randomized boosters.  For many people, collection (as a hobby, not simply a means to have all the cards) is, itself, entertaining.  Just because one design decision has a higher profit margin than another does not mean it's only purpose is to extract money from your wallet.  Correlation is not causation.

After all, anyone who enters the collectible media market knows that selling singles and spoiler lists are an inevitable side effect.  And no one is going to buy something they don't want to be buying, the market simply doesn't work that way.

Really, my only issue with the cards is that they cost $.50 apiece and I don't get any cool art on them.  The price itself doesn't bother me, except in that light.
I have no interest in CCG's and even less experience in playing them, yet I really like the concept of player Omega tech and Alpha mutation. I think it would be lame for WotC not to explore the posabilities of card mechanics in a role playing game

There is a world of difference between a card /mechanic/, and the blind/random distribution model of a CCG.  CCGs are not simply card games, they are collectible card games.  The point is to reward the flush or determined collector at the game table.  That works in a competative game like MtG, but it is not desireable in a cooperative game like an RPG. 

And, of course, it would be possible to serve both consumers.  They could have released the first series of boosters with nice art, as a 'collectors edition,' then, when the entire series was out, they could have released an 'unlimitted edition' as a complete deck, minus the art, and with any errata to fix problem cards.  The collectors still get their fun, and show off thier unique cards at the table, but in the long run, there's no undue advantage to collecting.

Oraibi posted the following series of tweets a couple days back, and I whole-heartedly agree, so I'll simply quote them:
#gammaworld question: has it ever actually happened in play that someone with a lot of money built a player deck and ruined the game? Ever?

I've played a lot of #GammaWorld and never seen it happen, nor have I read of it happening. But plenty of people "predict" it.

I say it simply doesn't happen. #gammaworld #deckabuse

Hell, I've seen more damage done with the Cryptic Alliance cards (which ironically come as a complete set in one of the core boxes) than any amount of deck-building abuse could do.
Yeah, I was at a local gaming meeting up and talking about the game, and someone skeptically said, "Doesn't that mean one player could go out and buy a lot of boosters and have the best cards and disrupt the game for everyone?!"

I honestly think it's never happened and it isn't worth worrying about. If anything, someone doing that wouldn't "win" at Gamma World, they'd only succeed at making their own game play more boring.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

I've actaully been a MtG player form many years and always liked the collectable aspect of the game (I built a few full sets in my time as well.)

My problem with the randomisation of the boosters for Gamma World (and to a limited extent the Fortune cards for DnD4e) is that the cards are not collectables but are basically an expansion to the rules of the game.

Their essentially a splat book or an optional rule. Releasing them peicemeal makes them very unattractive to me.

http://collectingrealities.blogspot.co.nz/
I run casual-play Gamma World 2hrs 1/wk at a local store.  Since it's held at a store, I don't mess with the player deck rules, since that would defeat the purpose of the store hosting a game - to sell stuff.

I have regular players and occassional players.  Most of my regulars did not buy a lot of boosters or build custom decks with them (that is: they bought a few boosters, sorted them into alpha & omega, and just used like that, for the sheer randomness).  One did - he salted his player decks with mutations and tech that give DR, extra hps, and such (and is a rat swarm to begin with).  I can generally count on being able to have the monsters pound on him twice as hard as any other character with no worries of ever dropping him.  I sort of just treat him as the party defender, and let him soak up most of the punishment.  With it being casual play, I don't think the other players have noticed the disparity that much.  But in a campaign I'd've had to've dealt with it by now.

I am running a campaign and I only have the Main GW box set & loads of boosters and have one player who uses his own deck.  He is known to the rest of the players for his 'rules' manipulation so his stacked deck is pretty suspect all the time.  I usually give out tech from my deck for most of a session with his deck as a reward for the end of the evening.   I have openly taken to cherry picking the tech from my deck for the players favoring the others with decent tech to balance things out.     Alpha mutations are always random since most of the time he forgets he even has them. 

In all honesty if I had thought about it I would never have mentioned that players can get their own booster packs because this guy is notorious for this sort of wallet based game play.  In Warcraft he was always buying gold and items off of those black market seller sites.  In Warhammer 40k he would misrepresent his armies points so if you were not 100% familiar with his armies codex he could slip a few 100 points in seals and adds past you.  And now in Gamma word he has taken to buying rare cards for premium prices.     3rd strike means he is out of the group but I’m riding it out for this campaign since they are almost 10th level and the big finale any way. 

BTW I am talking about a 36 year old.

Undecided
I've actaully been a MtG player form many years and always liked the collectable aspect of the game (I built a few full sets in my time as well.)

My problem with the randomisation of the boosters for Gamma World (and to a limited extent the Fortune cards for DnD4e) is that the cards are not collectables but are basically an expansion to the rules of the game.

Their essentially a splat book or an optional rule. Releasing them peicemeal makes them very unattractive to me.

+1
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045