Play by Post/E-mail Gamma World

117 posts / 0 new
Last post
Our story begins with the four of you... Dr.Phobic, Kid Viscous, Pilzbeban, and Spidermonkey having been sent from your village to trade for supplies in a larger town south of yours... you are travelling down a country road about 10 feet wide, with thin forests on both sides.
It is the second day of three into your journey and the sun is starting to set... you all notice a small fire flickering down the road just out of sight... 
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Hoping to find premium grade wild nano, Dr. Phobic will move forward until he can get a better look at the light. When he's sure his traveling companions can't see, he scratches himself surreptitiously.
quick pause while were waiting for the others...

Im going to draw 1 alpha and omega for everyone - I have both complete decks, so theyll be no repeats.

I also mix in cryptic alliance cards with both decks... and if I draw one for you, youll get a private message.

so...
       for Dr.Phobic  Omega#67Envirocape-DMcard, Alpha#15Proboscis-booster
          
            KidViscous  Omega#27MassPistol-booster, Alpha#90StaticField-booster

            Pilzbeban Omega#58ErraticRifleHound-DMcard, Alpha#16Metalbody-booster

            Spidermonkey Omega#10FizzNeurojack-booster, Alpha#42AcceleratedClaw-booster
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Let me see if I have either of those so I know what's what.

Meanwhile, Doctor Phobic poses Elvis-style in his environcape. 
Pilzbeban slowly strolls forward, quietly reciting Lovecraftian sonnets to himself. Noticing the fire ahead, he runs his hand along the snath of his scythe, while maintaining the verse.
His finely tuned senses detecting fire (and therefore, danger), Kid Viscous promptly disguises himself as an upturned boat, moving slowly and inexplicably down the road.  He only collides with two or three obstacles, including an oddly-posed Dr. Phobic.

(Moving Stealthily (1d20+10=27), for whenever that matters.  Using "DubmasterC" as the campaign name if anyone takes to it.) 
He only collides with two or three obstacles, including an oddly-posed Dr. Phobic.



Dr. Phobic swears in an ancient tongue of lost sages known as "Cling-On."

As you all move slowly closer to the fire you make it out as a small campfire, just to the side of the road with what seems like 3 humanoids gathered around, talking and laughng... thay havent noticed your approach yet (despite the incognito canoe cruising down the road)...
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Spider-Monkey wants to creep up a little bit closer and try to listen to what they are saying.

Leaping from tree to tree as stealthfully as I can.       Athletics 19    Stealth 27     Perception 13
(I would use my Toxic Web at-will to create webs to climb across if necessary and of course if it is allowed)

Edit: There is no way my stealth was that high. I thought it was a +9 it is actually a +5 so my stealth for this was 23 instead.
As Spidermonkey creeps ahead of the pack( and past the canoe ), staying in cover, he gets just up to the edge of the light from the campfire. Its now dusk. You can barely make out their conversation, but what you can hear... they're drinking and talking loudly..."gonna make the trade tomorrow... despite what we been's through." one with a deep voice says. "no lights for two days now..." one of the others responds "and we make it."
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Dr. Phobic will attempt to clear his drug addled mind and use his knowledge of conspiracies to suss out what these warping, kaleidoscopic monsters are talking about.

(Tried Jon's Invis Castles, got an error. My conspiracy is +11)


(I also get a minus 1 for being a paranoid) 
DrPhobic gets close enough to determine these "creatures" sitting about the fire seem to be ordinary men... they each have makeshift shields and spears stuck in the ground next to them. You also make out a small handcart next to a tree with supplies of some sort. You make out more of their conversation, they have made the same journey as you, although from a greater distance, and seem to have run into trouble of some sort two days earlier.

One of them looks up and says "hey, whats that canoe doing?" - just kidding on that part...
Why did the hoop cross the road?
On a side note... I cant figure out how to post pictures on the thread... could someone please explain how you are all doing it?
Why did the hoop cross the road?
On a side note... I cant figure out how to post pictures on the thread... could someone please explain how you are all doing it?



Dr. Phobic will stand up in as non-threating a manner as someone as awesome as Dr. Phobic can.

"Gentleman, I believe I may be of some assistance in your present troubles."

He'll be ready with his revolver just in case he sense they have wild nano they aren't sharing.

>>>To post a pic you click "Insert Photo" from the little menu under the reply post you are no doubt using now (or will be soon).  

You then see a screen where your photos will be stored, only you don't have any yet. You select upload photo from that screen. Hit the browse photos or whatever and direct the search to where the photo is on your computer.

Wait for it to upload, then click it so it is highlighted. Click select photo. The photo will load in the aforementioned reply/post window.

 
Duh, I was trying to use the little menu on top and didnt even look down... my name is Chris and I live in a house...
Why did the hoop cross the road?
The three of them leap to their feet spears/shields in hand amazingly fast. The one in front yells "Chaz, cover the gear, there may be more..." and as he backs up to the cart replies "Ive got it." The one in front takes a hesitant step forward holding a street sign shield with his spear raised "Who are you stranger? Are you alone?"
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Pilz stops his recitations, take a firm grip on his scythe and tries to move in closer, sticking to the shadows to avoid being seen. (Rolled a 17 for my stealth.)
The three of them leap to their feet spears/shields in hand amazingly fast. The one in front yells "Chaz, cover the gear, there may be more..." and as he backs up to the cart replies "Ive got it." The one in front takes a hesitant step forward holding a street sign shield with his spear raised "Who are you stranger? Are you alone?"




"Alone.....? Hmm....? That's a good question. How does one define being alone? Am I alone because I have only myself and my perceptions of the nominal world? Or, am I alone because the nominal world can only disclose itself to me via my own perceptions and not those of any other? Ooo! Shiny street sign. Neat! Do you have one that says **** Xing? I need it for the collection I plan to start one day."
He then takes a step backward and the end of his spear starts to spark with red light... and so do the other two shortly after. "What is your name and business... stranger?" he then gives a nod to the closer of the other two. "You may approach slowly."
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Pilz stops his recitations, take a firm grip on his scythe and tries to move in closer, sticking to the shadows to avoid being seen. (Rolled a 17 for my stealth.)



Nice roll. You pulled it off.
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Spider-monkey will stick to the trees waiting to see how this plays out. Ready to spring into action if Dr Phobic is attacked.

Stealth 7 (so apparently I was not very quiet about it)
As Spidermonkey creeps a little closer a branch breaks... and he falls to the ground landing just beside the Dr. The three men are startled... the two facing you crouch down behind their shields, spears glowing more brightly "Stay where you are stranger! I ask you once more... how many are you?"he yells. "We are scavengers from the badlands... we do not seek trouble." The ends of their spears starting to spark and cracle more...
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Pilz steps out from the shadows, lowering his scythe.

He speaks some verse.
"I shivered oddly in the cold, thin air,
And wondered where I was and how I came,
When a cloaked form against a campfire’s glare
Rose and approached, and called me by my name."

"I too am here," He points at one of the men, and tries to guess his name. "You are Joseph, yes?"

(Interaction check: 5+3=8)
The lump of mud remains under his boat, gurgling quietly.  He feels oddly charged as sparks fly from the spears.  Attempting to stay in the shadows provided by the firelight, he moves over towards the cart, seeking only an innocent peek inside.

Moving Stealthily again, if required (1d20+10=17) (I'd prefer the first one though )
"We are travelers too. Scavengers of a sort. Looking for vim and vigor in the variegated varmints who vex us. Those spears are neat, is that wild nano that makes them go?"

Interaction: 12+2=14 
"Jo - Sef?" the middle one says... "I am Waye." He lowers his spear as it dims. "and I am Mane..." the one in front says "... come join our fire friends." his spear also dimming. "Chaz, keep watch..." he says to man guarding the cart as he walks toward the doctor. "We are headed south to the big trade... expect to be there tomorrow. We scavenged in the badlands for artifacts... lost half our group... to the lights." he looks down and sighs. "but, we make it so far..." Waye speaks up "We still have the warren to pass..." Mane turns to answer "We will pass the floppsies in the morning as they sleep." he says picking up his drink and offering it to the doctor. "and what do you mean by Nan-O?"
Why did the hoop cross the road?
"Little buggy things that make you go. Or heal. Or, you know, make you feel reaaaaal goooood."

(whispers) "Pilz, how did you know his name?"

"Thank you for the drink, friends. What about these lights that got your equally fine friends?" 
"... and is that canoe coming down the trail with you?"
Why did the hoop cross the road?
"... and is that canoe coming down the trail with you?"



(whispers) "That canoe thinks it's a person. Don't tell it different or it will freak out."

(whispers) "This is the hour when moonstruck poets know, doctor... but truly I did not. It was a simple guess inspired by the 17th sonnet of Yuggoth."

"I am Pilzbeben, son of Pilzvater, follower of Sh'geoth. It is a pleasure to meet you men. This big trade you speak of... would they have books of the Ancients there?"
"I had a radioactive hamster named, Yugguth. I don't have him anymore. There was some.... unpleasantness."
With almost an infuriating slowness, the dingy inches across the ground towards the cart as if the conversation were unheard.  Finally it settles next to the cart and pretends no one can see it.
"You know not of the lights?... then you must be from the north." Mane says, sitting back down by the fire. "We are from the east... across the badlands. If you seek books of the ancients... you will find that and more there. We are known as scavengers where we're from, we sneak in and out of the badlands, where the ancients once dwelled... in metal towers high up, and even in the ground. The area is full of artifacts and other ancient mysteries... like these." he says grabbing his spear by the end and it sparks to life" We do not know how they work, only that they do." he turns it off, sticks it back in the ground. "The lights are flying machines that took three of my men during our passage, there is no defense against them... they make almost no sound until they are upon you, then it is too late. I see you too must be headed to the trade, with all you carry... good thing you ran into us, the warren lies between us and the trade. The floppsies feast on our kind... and destroy artifacts with their touch! Ive dealt with them many times more than I care to. The hunting parties only come out in dark, and shouldnt be this far north. We will leave at first light and make it by safely..." he looks around at all of you and back to the doctor "...but there is strength in numbers."
Why did the hoop cross the road?
"There is strength in numbers my friend. Let us depart together and on the way you can tell us of the dread floppsies."

I'm going to look at the light stick and use my science to try to conjure what it do.

9+7=16 

 
You determine its some sort of energy spear, photonic in nature which the three carry, as well you notice another sticking out of their cart. A while later Mane asks if you have anything among your group for trade... "its good luck when strangers pass to trade something..." then suggests one of each party should stand watch... and points to Spidermonkey "you could cover more area from up in the trees."
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Spidermonkey gets up and dusts himself off.

Hello,

Yea, sure thing. I'll keep watch in the trees. I really like the trees.

He will then take off up the tree he just fell out of.
You determine its some sort of energy spear, photonic in nature which the three carry, as well you notice another sticking out of their cart. A while later Mane asks if you have anything among your group for trade... "its good luck when strangers pass to trade something..." then suggests one of each party should stand watch... and points to Spidermonkey "you could cover more area from up in the trees."



"I would be proud to carry the spear of your fallen brother and would gladly trade you an item of value to seal our new pact."

Then I twitch involuntarily as the wild nano withdrawal starts to hit.

"I have never seen thge lights myself, but I believe my faith speaks of them...

'I never can be tied to raw, new things,
For I first saw the light in an old town,
Where from my window huddled roofs sloped down
To a quaint harbour rich with visionings.'

Lights in the old town, or as your people call it, the badlands.... I look forward to this market. May Sh'geoth guide us past the warren of the flopsies..."

I throw my scythe into my wagon with my other gear and tow it along via a harness made of rope (from the explorer's kit).

He offers the spear for your beer... but tells you that it was damaged, and only works at half strength. You now have a Dim Photonic Spear - DMcard#80. You all sit around the fire keeping warm, taking turns gathering wood, sharing food and drink. Mane tells you more of the floppsies "With their long ears, they have fine hearing, and are silent and stealthy. Ive faced them more than once... they can leap in the air, and like that... be on the other side of you! Make no mistake... they are pure evil."The night goes by uneventful with Spidermonkey and Chaz keeping watch... at first light, you make ready to set out. Its a few miles journey down the country road when it comes to a larger road of the ancients made of stone. The carts are much easier to move down this road, and you are making better time... when Chaz, who was scouting ahead down the road rushes back "We Have trouble." he stops to catch his breathe."What is it?"Mane asks nervously."About five minutes travel ahead... a large chariot of old, and a lone floppsie by it was all I could made out." he answers. Mane trys to comfort him "You were wise to return. They are crafty" he looks to the rest of you "What shall we do? This is the only way there... are you sure there was only one? and what was he doing out in the day?"

Why did the hoop cross the road?
Well if this thing is (spidermonkey sarcastically makes the air quotes motion) "pure evil" as you say. Maybe we should go up there and capture it and find out what it is doing here. It is just a bunny rabbit.