Cryptoplasm

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have some questions about this card.

112.10. Effects can add or remove abilities of objects. An effect that adds an ability will state that the object "gains" or "has" that ability. An effect that removes an ability will state that the object "loses" that ability. Effects that remove an ability remove all instances of it. If two or more effects add and remove the same ability, in general the most recent one prevails. (See rule 613, "Interaction of Continuous Effects.")

Question one:

T3 Have Cryptoplasm copy an infect card
T4 Have Cryptoplasm copy a trample such as Terra Stomper

The card says
"At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have Cryptoplasm become a copy of another target creature. If you do, Cryptoplasm gains this ability."

So, it it now Terra or is it Terra with infect?

Question 2:
Does the card cop Color too? Does it become an Artifact creature if it copies an artifact? So, I have another card that requires me to sack 3 artifacts... can Crypto serve as one of them?

Thanks!!!
I have some questions about this card.

112.10. Effects can add or remove abilities of objects. An effect that adds an ability will state that the object "gains" or "has" that ability. An effect that removes an ability will state that the object "loses" that ability. Effects that remove an ability remove all instances of it. If two or more effects add and remove the same ability, in general the most recent one prevails. (See rule 613, "Interaction of Continuous Effects.")

Question one:

The card says
"At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have Cryptoplasm become a copy of another target creature. If you do, Cryptoplasm gains this ability."

It is a Terra Stomper on pretty much all accounts, and it doesn't have any abilities of creatures copied earlier. The ability that Cryptoplasm gains when it copies a creature is the same ability it has printed on it, that allows it to copy a new creature on a later upkeep of its controller, and that's it. "This ability" means "the ability you're reading right now". If the ability didn't have that clause, then Cryptoplasm would lose it as soon as it copies something­ and would be unable to copy something else later.

Question 2:
Does the card cop Color too? Does it become an Artifact creature if it copies an artifact? So, I have another card that requires me to sack 3 artifacts... can Crypto serve as one of them?

Thanks!!!

Yes on all of that. Pretty much every characteristic of a card is copiable : color, name, mana cost, card types and subtypes, the whole deal.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
No matter what you copy with Cryptoplasm, it will end up as an exact copy of that card with one exception: It also has the Cryptoplasm's original copy ability. It will otherwise have the name, types (supertypes, card types and subtypes), mana cost, power, toughness, colors, abilities, and everything else of whatever it copied. It won't keep any other abilities from its old form. This is because of the rules of copy effects, which don't allow something to keep their old abilities, so the Cryptoplasm has to regain its ability for it to work in the future.
Rules Nut Advisor
Thanks.

I use Crypto to copy Silver Mry or early heavy that my opponent pulls until I get out Kuldotha Forgemaster out then I grab blightsteel, sack Silver Myr, Crypto, and Kuldotha. They said I coudln't use Crypto as one of the 3 sacks.

If Crptoplasm was copying an artifact, you would be able to sac it to Kuldotha Forgemaster

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sorry to rehash an old thread but one more question that I need help with about Cryptoplasm...

So, can someone tell me if Cryptoplasm also take the PT of the target card? If so, is there a rule or something I can get to prove it? there seems to be a lot of disagreement over this one...

Example:

Crypto copies Blightsteel Collosus.

Does it yield an 2/2 or 11/11 ?
Yes, a creatures power and toughness are part of the copieable values.

What good would Clone be of it didn't get the creatures power and toughness it was coping.
MTG Rules Advisor
Sorry to rehash an old thread but one more question that I need help with about Cryptoplasm...

So, can someone tell me if Cryptoplasm also take the PT of the target card? If so, is there a rule or something I can get to prove it? there seems to be a lot of disagreement over this one...

Example:

Cryptoplasm, and any other copy effect, copis everything on the card, P/T included. As a quick counterexample, see Quicksilver Gargantuan, which does not copy the P/T of the other thing, and needs a specific exemption from normal copy effects in order to do so.
Rules Nut Advisor

Example:

It will copy the P/T

This is the rule you are looking for:

706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object’s characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The “copiable values” are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, card type, subtype, supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by “as . . . enters the battlefield” and “as . . . is turned face up” abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied

Example:

It will copy the P/T

This is the rule you are looking for:

706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object’s characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The “copiable values” are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, card type, subtype, supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by “as . . . enters the battlefield” and “as . . . is turned face up” abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied

What a great reply

So, if an opponent has a Death's Shadow that came in as a 10/10 because they had 3 life left, would I copy the 10/10 or would I get X/X based on MY total life?

In other words in the case where PT are not static numbers how do I resolve then?

It copies the ability that sets the P/T, and then reads your life total to get the final numbers.

So, if an opponent has a Death's Shadow that came in as a 10/10 because they had 3 life left, would I copy the 10/10 or would I get X/X based on MY total life?

In other words in the case where PT are not static numbers how do I resolve then?

A Death's Shadow copy comes in as a 13/13, and then it gets -X/-X, where X is your life total, because you control the copy. Anything else where the card defines the P/T acts similarly: The copy contains everything on the card, including the information that allows it to have an ever-changing power and toughness.
Rules Nut Advisor
Gotcha.

I was trying to invent an example of  the part of the rule that says "kicked".

So let me just ask if a card has multikicker stuff that modifies it's P/T based on a multikick or has flying if it was kicked I copy those items as well as long as they are not ETB effects or "Counters"?
I don't think there are any cards templeted that way.  And they avoid that just for this reason.

Any card that has it P/T changed by a kicker (mutli-kicker) would definatly use counters, and a copy would not get those counters.
MTG Rules Advisor
Gotcha.

I was trying to invent an example of  the part of the rule that says "kicked".

So let me just ask if a card has multikicker stuff that modifies it's P/T based on a multikick or has flying if it was kicked I copy those items as well as long as they are not ETB effects or "Counters"?

Note the key part of that clause:
"for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on)."
The "kicked-ness" of a spell is only copied while it is a spell. Once it's on the battlefield, any copies of a permanent will not consider themselves to have been kicked, even if you kicked the spell that became the creature you copied.
Rules Nut Advisor
So then my last supposition was wrong in that Cryptoplasm would NEVER copy an item on the stack, he would not get to make those choices, so he would only copy an "unkicked" version of the card.

Correct?
So then my last supposition was wrong in that Cryptoplasm would NEVER copy an item on the stack, he would not get to make those choices, so he would only copy an "unkicked" version of the card.

Correct?

Right. Cryptoplasm only ever copies the basic information on the card. It won't ever consider itself to have been kicked. Similarly, a Clone entering the battlefield as, say, a Gatekeeper of Malakir will never have the ETB ability go off, no matter whether the original Gatekeeper had been kicked or not.
Rules Nut Advisor
Question one:

The card says

I don't believe it was specifically addressed, but copy effects don't technically cause gain or loss of abilities (unless like the copy effect of Cryptoplasm they specifically do).

Meaning, if Crytoplasm copied a Sage Owl one turn, it wouldn't "gain" Flying from a rules perspective though it would have Flying.
Next turn if Cryptoplasm copied a Necropede, it would now have Infect and it wouldn't have Flying, but it didn't "gain" Infect nor did it "lose" Flying as far as the rules are concerned.

If Cryptoplasm was enchanted with Phyresis, it would gain Infect regardless of what creature it copied* because that ability is added in a later layer.

*well ok if it copied a man-land, Phyresis would fall-off and thus not get infect, but you get the idea.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

I don't think there are any cards templeted that way.  And they avoid that just for this reason.

Any card that has it P/T changed by a kicker (mutli-kicker) would definatly use counters, and a copy would not get those counters.

Faerie Squadron has flying if it was kicked.

All Generalizations are Bad

Faerie Squadron has flying if it was kicked.

But thankfully we can all agree that it has a self-replacement effect that grants it flying. A Clone of it would copy the self-replacement effect, but the Clone was not kicked, so it wouldn't get any benefit from it. A Cryptoplasm wouldn't be subject to the ability at all.
Sorry but another question:
When Cryptoplasm bcomes a copy of a target creature on your upkeep, does it have summoning sickness? Or can it attack during the attack phase of the turn that it bacame a copy?
And ruling citation if possible!
THANK YOU!
Becoming a copy of something new doesn't give it summoning sickness again--it's the exact same creature it was before, it just looks different now.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

When Cryptoplasm bcomes a copy of a target creature on your upkeep, does it have summoning sickness?

Assuming you have controlled cryptoplasm continuously since your turn began (which is almost certain given that it is currently your upkeep step), the summoning sickness rule does not apply to it.
And ruling citation if possible!

The summoning sickness rule, quoted below, cares nothing for how long the creature has looked the way it currently does, only how long it has been under its controller's control.
302.6. A creature's activated ability with the tap symbol or the untap symbol in its activation cost can't be activated unless the creature has been under its controller's control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. A creature can't attack unless it has been under its controller's control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. This rule is informally called the "summoning sickness" rule.

So I am new at this - please be patient:
Following is an earlier reply - that I happen to agree with - , and it fueled a previous debate:
If this is correct; that Cryptoplam BECOMES a copy of a target creature, AND the target creatures NAME is copied, Cryptoplasm is NOW a copy with another name, and NOT cryptoplasm, so it seems there is no longer a Cryptoplasm. If this is the case, what does it matter if "Cryptoplasm" gains this ability? If not, why not? Thoughts on this?

"No matter what you copy with Cryptoplasm, it will end up as an exact copy of that card with one exception: It also has the Cryptoplasm's original copy ability. It will otherwise have the name, types (supertypes, card types and subtypes), mana cost, power, toughness, colors, abilities, and everything else of whatever it copied. It won't keep any other abilities from its old form. This is because of the rules of copy effects, which don't allow something to keep their old abilities, so the Cryptoplasm has to regain its ability for it to work in the future."
Following is an earlier reply - that I happen to agree with - , and it fueled a previous debate:
If this is correct; that Cryptoplam BECOMES a copy of a target creature, AND the target creatures NAME is copied, Cryptoplasm is NOW a copy with another name, and NOT cryptoplasm, so it seems there is no longer a Cryptoplasm. If this is the case, what does it matter if "Cryptoplasm" gains this ability? If not, why not? Thoughts on this?

"No matter what you copy with Cryptoplasm, it will end up as an exact copy of that card with one exception: It also has the Cryptoplasm's original copy ability. It will otherwise have the name, types (supertypes, card types and subtypes), mana cost, power, toughness, colors, abilities, and everything else of whatever it copied. It won't keep any other abilities from its old form. This is because of the rules of copy effects, which don't allow something to keep their old abilities, so the Cryptoplasm has to regain its ability for it to work in the future."

When something refers to itself by name, it means "this thing", no matter what the name actually is. 

You can imagine that it looks like this:
At the beginning of your upkeep you can have [this thing] become a copy of another target creature.  If you do [this thing] gains this ability.

So, no matter what name the creature has, it will gain the ability and continue to trigger each upkeep.

Okay, my turn:

If I have a Cryptoplasm and I copy a Vatmother, can I change my Cryptoplasm before  I get the poison counter?  Since both cards' abilities take place @ the beginning of your upkeep I need some help figuring this out.

Thanks.

If I have a Cryptoplasm and I copy a Vatmother, can I change my Cryptoplasm before  I get the poison counter?  Since both cards' abilities take place @ the beginning of your upkeep I need some help figuring this out.

While you technically can, this won't help you.

Both the Cryptoplasm-copy-trigger and the Phyrexian Vatmother-poison-trigger trigger at the same time, and since you control both, you can put them on the stack in any order you like. So, you can put them on the stack such that the copy trigger will resolve first, changing your CryptoMother into somethnig else. However, the Vatmother poison trigger is still on the stack and will resolve normally (unless you counter it somehow), so you will still get a poison counter.

DCI Lvl 2 Judge

When something refers to itself by name, it means "this thing", no matter what the name actually is. 

At the beginning of your upkeep you can have [this thing] become a copy of another target creature.  If you do [this thing] gains this ability.

So, no matter what name the creature has, it will gain the ability and continue to trigger each upkeep.

Ru - I agree with the definition the way you wrote it, but that is not what the card says:

If the card said:
"At the beginning of your upkeep you can have "X" become a copy of another target creature. If you do, copied creature gains this ability", then I would agree with you 100%.

But the card says:
At the beginning of your upkeep you can have Cryptoplasm become a copy of another target creature.
If you do [so now Cryptoplasm is a copy of a target creature AND there is no more Cryptoplasm], Cryptoplasm gains this ability. Great - but there is no more Cryptoplasm.

Further thoughts on this anyone?

Rudolf is correct. 
201.4. Text that refers to the object it's on by name means just that particular object and not any other objects with that name, regardless of any name changes caused by game effects.

706.10. If an effect refers to a permanent by name, the effect still tracks that permanent even if it changes names or becomes a copy of something else.
Example: An Unstable Shapeshifter copies a Crazed Armodon. Crazed Armodon reads, "{G}: Crazed Armodon gets +3/+0 and gains trample until end of turn. Destroy Crazed Armodon at the beginning of the next end step. Activate this ability only once each turn." If this ability of the Shapeshifter is activated, the Shapeshifter will be destroyed at the beginning of the next end step, even if it's no longer a copy of Crazed Armodon at that time.

Ru - I agree with the definition the way you wrote it, but that is not what the card says:

If the card said:
"At the beginning of your upkeep you can have "X" become a copy of another target creature. If you do, copied creature gains this ability", then I would agree with you 100%.

But the card says:
At the beginning of your upkeep you can have Cryptoplasm become a copy of another target creature.
If you do [so now Cryptoplasm is a copy of a target creature AND there is no more Cryptoplasm], Cryptoplasm gains this ability. Great - but there is no more Cryptoplasm.

The Cryptoplasm is still there. It's not called that anymore, and a bunch of its characteristics changed, but it is still the same object in the same zone and that's all the game cares about. To become a different object, it would have to change zones.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
I have a question say i have a phyrexian metamorph who is a primeval titan and i play cryptoplasm can he copy the copied prime titan?
I have a question say i have a phyrexian metamorph who is a primeval titan and i play cryptoplasm can he copy the copied prime titan?

If that's the target you choose when putting the ability on the stack, that's what he copies.
706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object's characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The "copiable values" are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, card type, subtype, supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by "as . . . enters the battlefield" and "as . . . is turned face up" abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
Hi,

Does cryptoplasm need to choose a target to copy each turn? If I copy a creature that then dies can my cryptoplasm stay as that creature?

Example:

Turn X: I play cryptoplasm.

Turn X + 1: bad guy plays consecrated sphinx.

Turn X + 2: I have cryptoplasm copy consecrated sphinx in my upkeep.

Turn X + 3: Bad guy does...nothing and I doom blade the sphinx.

Turn X + 4: Can I keep my cryptoplasm as a copy of the now dead Sphinx indefinitely?

I think I can since the card wording uses "may".

Thoughts?
You are correct, the word "may" makes changing it optional. It can stay in the form of a creature that's no longer on the battlefield for as long as you like, as long as the Plasm itself remains on the field.

Friendly bit of advvice: there's no need to necro a months-old thread for a simple question, by the way, and some reasons not to. Besides the fact that some people are annoyed by it as on any board (though personally, I don't care), because of quirks of this forum's software, it doesn't show up as having new posts or appear on the RSS feeds of people who have them. So it's better to start a new thread.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Hi,

Does cryptoplasm need to choose a target to copy each turn? If I copy a creature that then dies can my cryptoplasm stay as that creature?

Example:

Turn X: I play cryptoplasm.

Turn X + 1: bad guy plays consecrated sphinx.

Turn X + 2: I have cryptoplasm copy consecrated sphinx in my upkeep.

Turn X + 3: Bad guy does...nothing and I doom blade the sphinx.

Turn X + 4: Can I keep my cryptoplasm as a copy of the now dead Sphinx indefinitely?

I think I can since the card wording uses "may".

Thoughts?

I see this is your first time Next time, please open a new thread for a new question, rather than bumping old threads. It's easier for us to see what we've already addressed that way.

Each upkeep, Cryptoplasm's trigger goes on the stack, and you target a creature other than itself. When it resolves, you may elect to have it do nothing (since it's a "may"), or you may elect to have it become a copy of the creature you targeted. If there's no legal targets to choose, the trigger never goes on the stack. But either way, you can always choose not to change what the Cryptoplasm is copying.

Thank you for your replies and explanations.

Sorry for necroing the thread. I just did a web search for the card name and since I am on a tablet was lazy and did not check out the rest of the forum and the etiquette. I will start a new thread next time. Sorry again.
I have 2 question's but not only about Cryptoplasm also about Phyrexian Metamorph, Phantasmal Image & Cackling Counterpart
I'm new to the FNM event's so please bear with me if this was asked or mentioned already elsewhere.

If the other player has a Neurok Invisimancer on the field and it's equiped with Spectral Flight & Darksteel Plate do the above mentioned cards copy the fact that it is equipped with these as well or no?

#2 (using Neurok Invisimancer for the same example) which is  2/1 the other player cast Titanic Growth  making it 6/5 if I respond with Cackling Counterpart after Titanic Growth resolves does it copy as 2/1 or 6/5? 

If the other player has a Neurok Invisimancer on the field and it's equiped with Spectral Flight & Darksteel Plate do the above mentioned cards copy the fact that it is equipped with these as well or no?

No. Only the "base" characteristics are copied.

#2 (using Neurok Invisimancer for the same example) which is  2/1 the other player cast Titanic Growth  making it 6/5 if I respond with Cackling Counterpart after Titanic Growth resolves does it copy as 2/1 or 6/5?  

2/1.

First thing: We're not like other forums you may have encountered where they sarcastically post links to threads that follow the same subject you've posted about. In fact, we're quite the opposite. What I mean is: Reviving dead topics is generally frowned upon, and you're more likely to get a fast answer if you just make your own thread (this doesn't appear as a new thread, it just sits on the front page looking like a thread everyone has already viewed)

Next thing: Autocarding is useful so we can just mouse over the card and not have to go look some of them up. For example: [c.]Spectral Flight[./c] (WITHOUT dots) = Spectral Flight

Anyways! About your questions:

#1: No. Clone and similar creatures will only copy the printed characteristics of whatever it copies. You could have 50 different Auras and Equipment on a Grizzly Bears but if you Clone it... It's a measly little 2/2.

#2: Cackling Counterpart only creates a copy of a creature YOU control, not your opponent's Invisimancer. But even if it was your Neurok dude and you gave it a bunch of Titanic Growths... Your copy will be a 2/1.

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

Friendly bit of advvice: there's no need to necro a months-old thread for a simple question, by the way, and some reasons not to. Besides the fact that some people are annoyed by it as on any board (though personally, I don't care), because of quirks of this forum's software, it doesn't show up as having new posts or appear on the RSS feeds of people who have them. So it's better to start a new thread.
I have 2 question's but not only about Cryptoplasm also about Phyrexian Metamorph, Phantasmal Image & Cackling Counterpart
I'm new to the FNM event's so please bear with me if this was asked or mentioned already elsewhere.

No.
706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object's characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The "copiable values" are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by "as . . . enters the battlefield" and "as . . . is turned face up" abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.
Example: Chimeric Staff is an artifact that reads ": Chimeric Staff becomes an X/X artifact creature until end of turn." Clone is a creature that reads, "You may have Clone enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield." After a Staff has become a 5/5 artifact creature, a Clone enters the battlefield as a copy of it. The Clone is an artifact, not a 5/5 artifact creature. (The copy has the Staff's ability, however, and will become a creature if that ability is activated.)
Example: Clone enters the battlefield as a copy of a face-down Grinning Demon (a creature with morph ). The Clone is a colorless 2/2 creature with no name, no types, no abilities, and no mana cost. It will still be face up. Its controller can't pay to turn it face up.

2/1 [CR 706.2]
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
Thxs for clearing it up and thxs for the Autocarding info