[WoA] Combine Ashardalon and Ravenloft for custom adventures!

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here are the rules for combining the two boardgames.

Monster deck: (12) 1 XP monsters, (12) 2 XP monsters, (6) 3 XP monsters

Encounter deck: (20) Events, (14) Event - Attacks, (6) Environments, (5) Traps, (5) Curses and/or Hazards

Treasure Deck: (3) 300 gp, (7) 600 GP, (9) 1000 GP, (7) 1500 GP, (5) 2000 GP, (4) Fortune/Blessing 

Conversion:

Show
Holy Water: 300gp
Dragon's Breath Elixir: 600gp
Glyph of Warding: 600gp
Scroll of Teleportation: 600gp
Crystal Ball: 1000gp
Ring of Accuracy: 1000gp
Holy Avenger: 1500gp
Necklace of Fireballs: 1500gp.  Change to "Flip over after using"
Ring of Regeneration: 1500gp
Wand of Teleportation: 1500gp.  Change to "Flip over after using"

Dungeon Tile: 25+ tiles, 1 must be a Chamber card 

Purpose: Generic dungeoncrawl (no special missions), but with more flavour than what any single boardgame could afford.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

EVIL CASTLE: STORM SIR EVILSTEIN'S CASTLE ON THE EVILSFORD RIVER

Monster Deck: (3) Wolves , (3) Orc Archers, (3) Human Cultists, (3) Kobold Dragonshields, (3) Skeletons, (3) Duergar Guards, (3) Orc Smashers, (3) Blazing Skeletons, (3) Legion Devils, (3) Gargoyles

Encounter Deck (Events): (2) Neglected Passage, Ghost of Prince Aurel, Voice of the Master, Lief Lipsiege, Secret Door, Treasure Chest, Summoning Circle, Corner of the Eye, Reinforcements, Cowardly Flight, Cyrus Beliview, Overwhelming Terror, Duergar Outpost, Hall of the Orcs, Quick Advance, Scream of the Sentry, Spotted!, Wandering Monster.

Encounter Deck (Event - Attacks): Strahd Attacks!, (2) Ambush!, King Tomescu's Portal, Spider Webs, Animated Armor, Icy Corridor, Circle of Death, Blinding Bomb, Bull's Eye, Lurker's Strike, Poisoned Arrow, Trip Wire, Patrina Velikovna

Encounter Deck (Environment): Music of the Damned, Dragon Tribute, Hidden Snipers, High Alert, Kobold Trappers, Surrounded!

Encounter Deck (Trap): Crushing Walls, Sliding Walls, Alarm, Crossbow Turret, Spear Gauntlet

Encounter Deck (Curse/Hazard): Pit, A Gap in the Armor, Bad Luck, Cage, Wrath of the Enemy

Treasure Deck (items): (4) Potion of Recovery, Potion of Speed, (2) Thieves' Tools, Glyph of Warding, Scroll of Teleportation, (2) Potion of Healing,  (2) +1 Magic Sword, Shield of Protection, Flying Carpet, Amulet of Protection, Bracers of Defense, Crystal Ball, Ring of Regeneration, Wand of Teleportation, Wand of Fear, Tome of Experience, +2 Magic Sword, Dragontooth Pick, Dwarven Hammer, Blessed Shield, Crossbow of Speed, Pearl of Power, Throwing Shield, Vorpal Sword

Treasure Deck (Fortune/Blessing): (2) Lucky Find, Surround Them, Distant Sounds, Heroic Stand

Starting Tile: Ashardalon

Dungeon Tile Deck: (7) Door Tiles, Vault, (2) Long Hallway, Secret Stairway, Chapel, Dark Fountain, Workshop, Laboratory, Prince Aurel's Crypt, King's Crypt, Arcane Circle, (7) four-way Tiles, Horrid Chamber Entrance Tile [Shuffle it and 3 other tiles together, place it under the 8th Tile]

Chamber Card: Duergar Garrison or Prison Guard

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Just played through this modified game and I must say that it was very flavourful.

On the first turn, the Fighter stumbled into a Human Cultist. The Wizard slew him, but alerted a Duergar who then alerted some Legion Devils and an Orc Archer! Definately felt like you walked into the front door of a castle. Later on, the Rogue revealed a Long Hallway with a Cultist on the Hallway and a Duergar at the end. Stealth removed the Sentry and left the Cultist to fight solo: it felt like we were going through a Bond Villian base and taking out the nameless mooks.

To the West, Margrath's Horrid Chamber was adjacent to a chapel and a vault, with a Dark Fountain down a long hallway. The eastern part of the dungeon had crypts, a summoning circle, and a secret stairway down. There was also a Flying Carpet near the front door (to wipe your feet on?). Halfway through the adventure, Cowardly Flight sent a wolf to the Arcane Circle with a Gargoyle in the middle of it: the adventurers didn't follow. Ironically, the Encounter Card Summoning Circle dropped a Gargoyle next to Margrath: with three Gargoyles in play, it was like taking on two villians at once!

I loaded up with area effects for the party (The Dragonborn wizard plus the non-ranger Ravenloft heroes). It was useful with all the minions and sentries, but it was hard to finish off Margrath, especially with his Gargoyle Bodyguard. I techinically lost (won by using 3 healing surges) but would have won if I had burnt through more XP to stop more Encounter cards. I was pretty hosed by Dragon Tribute taking away my Vorpal Swords and Tome of Experiences and giving me every potion in the deck.

Next custom fit: The Caves of Natural monsters!

Caves of Chaos: Natural Caves with Orcs and Abberants within

Monster Deck: (3) Rat Swarms, (3) Snakes, (3) Wolves, (3) Orc Archers, (3) Spiders, (3) Cave Bears, (3) Grell, (3) Orc Smasher, (3) Gibbering Mouther, (3) Wraith

Encounter Deck (Events): (2) Passage of Time, (2) Overrun, (2) Frenzy, Quick Advance, Overwhelming Terror, Wandering Monsters, Strahd's Hunger, Howl of the Wolf, Mists of Terror, Lost, Revel in Destruction, Frenzied Leap, Bubbling Cauldron, Deadly Posion, Unbearable Heat, Occupied Lair, Hall of the Orcs

Encounter Deck (Event- Attacks): Ambush!, Icy Corridor, Volcanic Burst, Concussive Blast, Funga Bloom, Deep Tremor, Sulphurous Cloud, Phalagar's Lair, Earthquake!, Steam Vent, Gray Ooze, Choking Fog, Green Slime, Spider Webs

Encounter Deck (Environment): Surrounded!, Crippling Miasma, Blood Fog, Bat Swarm, Deadly Shadows, Spirit of Doom

Encounter Deck (Trap): Rolling Boulder, Lava Flow, Fire Trap, Crushing Walls, Sliding Walls

Encounter Deck (Curse/Hazard): Bloodlust, Cave-In, Terrifying Roar, Volcanic Vapors, Dragon Fear

Treasure Deck (items): (2) Potions of Recovery, Potion of Speed, (5) Lucky Charm, Dragon's Breath Elixir, Elven Cloak, (2) Potion of Rejuvenation, (2) Boots of Striding, (2) +1 Magic Sword, (2) Amulet of Protection, Scroll of Monster Control, Dwarven Hammer, Dragontooth Pick, Necklace of Fireballs, Ring of Regeneration, Staff of the Elements, Wand of Fear, Wand of Polymorph, Ring of Shooting Stars, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Pearl of Power, Crossbow of Speed, Vorpal Sword

Treasure Deck (Fortune): (2) Short Rests, Eagle Eyes, Intimidating Bellow, Distant Sounds

Starting Tile: Castle Ravenloft

Dungeon Tile Deck: (9) 2-way corridor, (8) 90 degree turn 2-way corridor, (2) Long Hallways, (2) 4-way corridors with walls, Rotting Nook, Fetid Den, Tunnel Exit, Dire Chamber Entrance  

Chamber Card: Orc Clan Lair or Stables

Good stuff, thanks!

I could see an adventure bridge where you start with CR components in a crypt, and have to find the passage to the Underdark. When you do (say, 5-8 tiles down), you then switch to the Ashardalon set.

You could combine various elements this way. For example, start with the before sundown adventure in CR, but now you have to find the access to the Underdark instead. Once on the Ashardalon side, you could need to rescue a prisoner or take down one of the Chambers, then exit from Ashardalon.

Depending on the length, you could add a special treasure horde and refresh one spent power when you get to the "bridge".

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I just ordered WoA and now you made me blow another $45 you bast*rd! :P

I second that. :P 

Hey! Looks like Peter Lee is getting in on the action!

www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d...

I second that. :P 

Haha, I THIRD that! Can't wait to combine some of the monsters, hero's and even tiles with my beloved Ravenloft.

Congzilla, where did you get that profile pic? Love it!
Nice thread!

I haven't tried out your scenarios, but they look like a lot of fun!

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

If you feel like changing the flavor a bit, here is one I did at BGG. it's really tough, but the sessions we've had so far have been very rewarding.

--------------------------------------------------------------

THE TEMPLE OF THE CRUSADERS

In ages past, crusaders from across the Amirtha Gangai sea sailed from Turania in mighty galleons towards an unexplored land, reaching the shores of a vast and unexplored continent, naming it the Ammanai. They settled on the cold wooden shores and established their first town: Crossburg. Here they built a mighty temple, whose underground levels are rumored to contain their holy relics.

Legend tells that these relics hold the mysteries of life and death, and they might even open a portal in to the abyss, the land of the dead; domain of demons like prince Orcus, a mighty demon charged with punishing those who break their oaths for all eternity.

Now, centuries later, an unknown power created a rift in reality, summoning a group of crusaders to converge in Crossburg after facing unspeakable horrors in their own lands.
The people of Crossburg were relieved when the energies and the chaos stopped and what they saw were four heavily armoured and equipped adventurers; for the Town of Crossburg had been under siege by unnatural forces, terrible nightmares and monsters from the nearby Temple ruins. "The temple of the Crusaders" they call it.
Now these four adventurers must find a way back to their origins; and destroy the evil power that spills its filth from The Temple of the Crusaders.

CAMPAIGN
This setting can be played as a campaign, progressing from one adventure to the next in one session or several by recording all items, levels and accumulated xp in a notebook to come back to it next session.

ENCOUNTER DECK:
Blood Fog (CR 52)
Crippling Miasma (CR 54)
Bubbling Cauldron (CR 59)
Frenzy (CR 63)
Illusionary Trick (CR 67)
2 Overrun (CR 72–73)
Reinforcements (CR 78)
Teleport Glyph (CR 86)
Choking Fog (CR 92)
Gray Ooze (CR 94)
Howling Ghost (CR 97)
Fire Trap (CR 108)
Spear Gauntlet (CR 110)

A Gap in the Armor (WoA 51)
Bad Luck (WoA 52)
Bloodlust (WoA 53)
High Alert (WoA 61)
Surrounded! (WoA 63)
Ancient Spirit’s Blessing (WoA 65)
Frenzied Leap (WoA 68)
Lost (WoA 72)
Bull’s Eye! (WoA 84)
Concussive Blast (WoA 85)
Deep Tremor (WoA 86)
Lurker’s Strike (WoA 89)
Cave In (WoA 97)
Poisoned Dart Trap (WoA 101)

Or any other combination, excluding encounter cards that deal with Kobolds or Orcs

MONSTER DECK:
Select any 2 cards of 15 different monsters; To maintain the flavour, monsters should be:
Demon, Undead, Duergar, Human, Animal, magical beast, construct or dragons. Or at least leaving aberrants, orcs, goblinoids, kobolds and the like aside.

Edit:
Here are some custom demon monsters. Quality is not that high, but hope you find them usable.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/637400/demon-mo...

First Adventure:

1.- A look in to the eyes of madness.

The powers that unleashed their fury on the city of Crossburg recede. After the final shockwaves, the people of Crossburg tend to you as you lie unconscious on the Temple of Innana.

The head priestess, Lady Stygia Darkeyes, also known in Crossburg as Lady Dauntless, greets you as you recover and regain consciousness. After you are well cared for and gain your bearings, you learn the dire situation of the town.

In order to learn more, Lady Dauntless beseeches you to go in to the Temple of The Crusaders to learn what is causing the dead to walk and demons to appear. The most likely bet is an old lost book of demonic lore and writings done by Brother Roicour, lost while exploring the Temple.

She will send with you Misheen, a Cleric Acolyte expert in matters of undead who has researched the whereabouts and possible location of the Book of Roicour, to guide you.

To help you on your way, she gladly lends you one of the mystical artefacts of good in her possession. Finally, Lady Darkeyes warns you against the madness of The Temple of Crusaders, advising you to follow Acolyte Misheen at all times.

Adventure Components:

Start tile. Rotting nook tile. Dire Chamber tiles and entrance. Horrid chamber tiles and entrance. Dark fountain tile. Secret stairwell tile. Evil cleric villain card (Acolyte Misheen was created by ChromaticDragon at BGG) boardgamegeek.com/image/1080269/chromati...

Adventurer’s gear token representing the Book of Roicour, Shield tokens, Artefact treasure card decks (optional) boardgamegeek.com/thread/642836/artifact...

Edit:
Here are some custom artefacts:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/642836/artifact...

Adventure Set up:

Shuffle the tile deck and take 4 tiles from it. This will be the path known to Acolyte Misheen to guide the heroes through the Temple of Crusaders.
Find the Rotting Nook tile and set it aside.
Find the Dire chamber entrance tile and shuffle it with other three tiles, then place these four tiles at the bottom of the “Path of Misheen” tile stack.
Take three tiles from the normal tile stack and shuffle the Dark Fountain tile with them; then place these tiles after 11 tiles from the regular tile stack.

Place the start tile on the centre of the table.
Give one random custom artefact card to one of the heroes; or if using regular treasure cards, give one to each hero.
Place the heroes on the start tile.
Place the Acolyte Misheen token adjacent to any hero.

Adventure Goal:

Find the tome of Roicour somewhere in the upper levels of the Temple of Crusaders, and return to Crossburg before nightfall, else the legions of the abyss launch another attack on the city.

Victory: The heroes win the adventure when they escape the Temple of the Crusaders with the Tome of Roicour.

Defeat: The heroes lose the adventure if any hero has 0 Hit Points and no surge tokens left; or if all heroes have 5 madness tokens on their sheets.

Special Adventure Rules:

If a hero starts his hero phase adjacent to the Acolyte Misheen token, that hero can move the token along with his / her figure.
At every exploration phase, any hero adjacent to the Acolyte Misheen token may let Acolyte Misheen lead them through the dungeon by drawing a tile from the “Misheen Path” tile stack.
When a tile from the Misheen Path is drawn, do not draw an encounter, regardless of the arrow on it and draw a monster token instead of a monster card.
When a tile from the regular tile stack is drawn: If it’s a white arrow, place a madness token on the character that explored the tile. If it’s a black arrow, place two madness tokens on the character that explored the tile.
At the start of every hero phase, characters may not explore to roll 10+ and remove a madness token.

Dire chamber entrance:

When a hero reveals the dire chamber entrance, do the following:

* Remove the Acolyte Misheen token and place the Misheen, evil cleric villain figure in its place.

* Place the Rooting nook tile on any unexplored edge of the Dire chamber entrance, and draw a monster token and in the same tile place the Book of Roicour token on the farthest square from the heroes.

* Place dire chamber tiles on all other unexplored edges and draw a monster token for every tile. Place a shield marker on every monster card spawned from the rooting nook or dire chamber tiles.

* You may not place another tile until the heroes defeat all monster cards with shield tokens.
Optional: When the Dark Cleric villain is reduced to 1 Hit Point, read the Following:

“Misheen, the cleric that lead you in to this ambush, lies bleeding and defeated on the floor. “Do not slay me” she says, “I had no choice and no hand in these events. There is a terrible creature inhabiting these halls, a demon sprouted from hell itself. It commanded me to lead you here or else my family would suffer.” She starts to cry and beg for her life and for you to help find her family.

If the heroes slay her, continue the adventure as normal. The heroes find a family heirloom relic on her. Draw a treasure card from the artefacts deck if you are using it; otherwise, draw regular treasure cards until you draw an item.

If the heroes do not slay her, remove the villain figure and place the Acolyte Misheen in its place, she exits the dungeon with the heroes.

*After the villain and all monster with shield tokens are defeated, place the secure exit tile on the nearest unexplored edge of any tile. Any hero standing on the secure exit tile may exit the dungeon, he skips his hero and exploration phases but continues to have villain phases.

Horrid chamber entrance:

When a hero reveals the Horrid Chamber tile, do the following:

* Place the horrid chamber tile and one tile on any of its unexplored tiles, then draw two monster tokens per every hero. Place the spawned monsters on all the recently placed tiles, start with the empty ones then continue placing the monsters on the tiles with the fewer monsters.

* Draw two encounter cards at the start of every villain phase until the dark fountain tile is revealed.

* Draw a monster card at every villain phase until the dark fountain tile is revealed.

* At the start of every hero phase, place a madness counter on your character.

* Heroes may no longer remove madness counters by not exploring and rolling 10+ at the start of their hero phases.

* Remove a madness token if you reduce a monster to 0 Hit Points.

Dark Fountain tile:

When the dark fountain tile is revealed, do the following:

* Place the Rooting nook tile on any unexplored edge of the Dire chamber entrance, and draw a monster token and in the same tile place the Book of Roicour token on the farthest square from the heroes.

* Place horrid chamber tiles on all other unexplored edges and draw a monster token for every tile. Place a shield marker on every monster card spawned from the rooting nook or horrid chamber tiles.

* You may not place another tile until the heroes defeat all monster cards with shield tokens.

* All monsters treat the “Acolyte Misheen” token as the target hero for the purpose of their tactics.

* After all monster with shield tokens are defeated, place the secure exit tile on the nearest unexplored edge of any tile. Any hero standing on the secure exit tile may exit the dungeon, he skips his hero and exploration phases but continues to have villain phases.

Special:

* If the Acolyte Misheen dies, the adventure is lost.

If the adventurers exit the temple following Misheen's ambush, read the following:

You arrive at the temple of Innana to deliver the Book of Roicour in to the hands of Lady Dauntless. After informing the high cleric of Misheen's betrayal, the acolyte is thrown in to a cell in the Temple's dungeons. Her family is nowhere in town; and Lady Darkeyes entrusts you to find their fate, for she will be too busy reading from the ancient tome you rescued.

If the Adventurers exit the temple following their own path, read the following:

You deliver the Book in to the hands of the high cleric, and she commends you for your work. Misheen disappeared between the houses of town as you were walking towards Innana's temple. Now, the high cleric provides food and shelter in the temple as she reads from the passages of the book you rescued.

-----------------------------------------

The final boss after i finish doing more scenarios, is the aspect of orcus:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/693561/top-boss...

Here is some one you might wanna take for a spin in this scenario.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/688333/new-cust...

boardgamegeek.com/thread/688265/new-cust...
That Orcus card is AWESOME! Love the art, and our tactics! Bring on more! One for Lord Soth, maybe one for the Aspect of Nerull... and more!?
Thanks.
Give the tactics a try and let me know how they run.

You actually nailed what I was thinking: Nerull, Soth, Takhisis, Lolth, Asmodeus, Bane, Tiamat, etc.

But i gotta finish these infernal scenarios first.  Then I was thinking on having Tiamat as a top boss for a series of scenarios.
Wow, this looks really neat. What a shame they don't sell these boxes in my country >< A friend of mine bought the first box via ebay and ended paying almost 3 times the price due to weight. Still, it's a really fun game.

Viva Chile mierrrr...!!!

Sign In to post comments