And That is All?

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking at the release schedule for WOTC it looks like that is it for GW? 

This would be too bad but I do not see anything after Legion of Gold in their upcoming products.  We have been having a very good time playing the game and are about half way through Famine in Far-Go.  The Legion is next!  We have picked up a bunch of the booster packs as well and have enjoyed how they interact with the game throwing in a semi-random element into it.  The players (myself included) quite enjoy playing around with our mini-decks of cards everytime a new pack is picked up.

I guess the only other thing to look at are the novels they have published for further ideas.  That or plunging through the older GW edition materials that are kicking about the net for sale.

If this is not the case let me know so I have something to look forward to!
Yep. That's it. They promised us Core rules + two expansions.

Fortunately, I do have everything ever published for GW 1e, and a smattering of things for other editions, so my not-at-all-creative mind can convert material until we decide the game is done. Then I'll just do it again for another group!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Im still hoping for a DM screen/mini-module... probably wont happen... but I can dream.
Why did the hoop cross the road?
I mean no disrespect when I say this, I've just always been confused by this mindset.  To me the stuff we have is more than enough to let our imaginaitons take control.  To me systems gets obnoxious and bloated after too many expansions.  3.5 was a great simple system that was getting bogged down with junk, at our table we eventually just trimmed down books to core only.  

On the other hand, if there was going to be more, what would you like to see? 
I would like to see a bit more.  I do not want it to get overblown.  I would like 1 box a year with a few new cards, maps, and a book.  I wouldn't mind a supplement like LOG.  Maybe another developed city with an adventure.  I don't want more origins.  
More occupations, more creatures, and some delve-like encounters with a thread to tie them together, but that are also easy to use as side treks.   
I think it would be cool to a book of settings.  Not a single setting per book like DnD has done, but a whole book with many different "probability timelines" that The Big Mistake could have produced. They'd be like mini-campaign settings, just detailed enough to provide a starting point for building your own campaign.  It would also be cool to include a massive table of ancient junk.

I agree that the coolest thing about GW is the way you have to use your imagination, so I wouldn't want anything too specific.  I'd just like to see things that support imagination, rather than things that do all the creative thinking for you.
As far as we know that's all, but remember that plans can change. (Look at the D&D books that got yanked for an example.)

If Wizards wants to make more Gamma World stuff, they can. The problem is figuring out what would be profitable for them.

A book of settings probably wouldn't sell. Player option books sell a lot more than GM books. More adventures and monsters won't sell without origins.

Note: The cards are "player option" materials. If we don't buy those cards, it's pretty easy for them to say "well, they don't really want more player options."

The box sets are basically one set of the three boxes per gaming group. (I know, some groups may have more, but that's not necessarily standard.) The problem for Wizard is trying to make more products which would appeal to individual players -- and there probably isn't a good way to do that.

Our best bet is probably free material, given out by Wizards on their web site, or generated by players. I've written and distributed three adventures as have other people, and we've produced dozens of origins collectively as a community here.

A better option than trying to encourage Wizards to make more #GammaWorld is more like the Ravenloft / Ashardalon / Drizzt game pattern -- encourage them to develop more older properties such as Star Frontiers. A Star Frontiers game that is compatible with (but not identical to) Gamma World would be an awesome way to expand the "boxed mini-game" line started with D&D GW.

Those are my thoughts, welcome to 'em!

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Game Designer, The Queen's Cavaliers

5e D&D Stuff: Birthright Conversion

Yep.  I'm imagining a 3-box set for Star Frontiers too.

The first, D&D Star Frontiers: the basic game with all the rules needed, plus an introductory adventure.

The second, Volturnus, Planet of Mystery:  based on Volturnus, re-imagining the Volturnus trilogy.

The third, Knight Hawks introduces spaceship combat.

If they followed the GW model, that would go a little differently. Lets look at GW's break down:
Boxed set: Core rules, player options, monsters, adventure
FiF:Player options, expanded rules (CA cards), Mounts, monsters, mini-setting, adventure
LoG: Player options, expanded rules (Vocations, Mounted combat), monsters, new mini-setting final adventure
Booster packs: More player options
WotC web extra for vehicle combat

They could have done three different products in a more traditional vein:
Boxed set: Core rules, all the player options and expanded rules
Monster book+ tokens
Campaign Setting plus Mega-adventure

While I'm not privy to why they went with that strategy, it was clearly an attempt to minimize unsold product.

ST would have to go something like this:
Boxed set: Core rules, player options, monsters, a string of combat encounters inspired by SF-0
Volturnus, Planet of Mystery: Player options, monsters, tech toys, starport mini-setting,core starship game, adventure more in line with SF-1
Starspawn of Volturnus: Player options, monsters, planet mini-setting, expanded starship combat and twist to the SF-2 adventure, moving it to space battle to highlight the starship game.
Booster packs: More player tech options
WotC web extra for vehicle combat that was overlooked for starship game.

Yep.  I'm imagining a 3-box set for Star Frontiers too.

The first, D&D Star Frontiers: the basic game with all the rules needed, plus an introductory adventure.

The second, Volturnus, Planet of Mystery:  based on Volturnus, re-imagining the Volturnus trilogy.

The third, Knight Hawks introduces spaceship combat.

This too would please me. 
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT
Honestly, I would really like to see the level system expanded a bit. I don't need it to go to thirty, but giving me a little more breathing room if I don't get the entire party killed would be nice. Expanding it to level twenty would sure be nice. I'm not looking forward to telling my son the campaign is over and we'll have to start another one once he hits ten and we tie up loose ends. I guess I'll have to plan on finishing up the plot right around that time and only having another couple of adventures after level ten. 
I too would like to see more stuff get released for Gamma World.   I would Like a GM Screen and books that expand on areas of the country  giving local info, more creatures and local power groups. Maybe even a book with Ishtar Specific info. But as many have pointed out it is not likely to happen. So we will have to rely on what many of the Talented people on these forums have and are continuing to provide. Many thanks to all who have provided this info so far.

As far as more anchient junk goes, just grab a couple of old catalogs, close your eyes, open to random page and point. 

I would Totally love for them to come out with Star frontiers. I would be happy if they released it as hailstop suggeted, Main set with basic rules, races and professions, expansion 1 the Voltourus set and expansion 2 Knight hawks expansion with space ships. Or as Vonether suggested. either works for me.  I would only hope and pray that they would pay more attention to edditing and Quality control. I am partial to the small size format of the essentials books and the Gamma world books. Makes it easier to transport to games.

have a nice day 
I'd like to see a few tiles sets as well as a full line of prepainted minis. I'd also like to see a monthly magazine dedicated to gamma world.

ok I know none of that is going to happen for a niche game like GW. We're all kinda resigned to be grateful for what little else will come out.

I wouldn't mind seeing the level system expanded like Tormin suggested. Even if that is just free content on the web. Lvl 10 is a pretty low ceiling.

I'd also love to see some prepackaged adventure modules published, like what they have for D&D. I don't exactly know what they are called but they usually come shink wrapped with a map and a short softcover book, and are usually geared for a specific level range. Publishing something like this seems like it would require much less commitment than a full fledged box set. It's also a way that they can publish some more information abou the world.

Thoughts?
I'm not interrested in GW going beyond 10th LVL. BUT, I'd except ... Going TO :11mana:! 
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045

I'd also love to see some prepackaged adventure modules published, like what they have for D&D. I don't exactly know what they are called but they usually come shink wrapped with a map and a short softcover book, and are usually geared for a specific level range. Publishing something like this seems like it would require much less commitment than a full fledged box set. It's also a way that they can publish some more information abou the world.

As DM materials, those are poor sellers even for D&D, let alone for Gamma World. It ain't gonna happen.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Even if there is a good marketing rationale for not producing any more products it still sucks! lol 

It is my son who is the one running our GW game and he is not experienced enough to just 'wing it' and come up with his own material.  This is why the adventures that lay everything out for him are important.  He does not have enough saavy at running games to come up with his own plots so I guess the best I can hope for is that you good folks here or WOTC through their on-line publishing come up with new adventures that he can run.  The other option is to snag old GW stuff off of E-Bay (which would have been alot cheaper before they released this version!) and do the conversion thing to them. 

I too, would like to see the level system expanded beyond 10th (as others have mentioned - perhaps not up to 30 but 20 would be nice).  Further adventures would be my main interest to pick up for my son.  As it stands we will started playing D&D a bit as the system is similar so he has been able to pick it up quickly, and there is more stuff available for it.  We still have a bit to go with GW as we are about 1/2 way through Far-Go at the moment and still have LoG to tackle after that. 

I have everything they ever produced for Star Frontiers and would love to see this game revised to the GW/D&D system and released again!  I loved this game when it came out back in the 80s and we snagged up stuff as it came out and played virtually all of it.  It was a fun and easy system to learn how to play and the setting was great for almost pulp-style science fiction.  Are there any actual rumblings from WOTC that they have any intentions to do such a thing or are we just speculating with fingers crossed?

As DM materials, those are poor sellers even for D&D, let alone for Gamma World. It ain't gonna happen.

With everybody clammoring for mor GW stuff... I sorta get the feeling that they would sell pretty well...
There's not more than a few dozen people here "clamoring" for it, though. It's really really not likely to sell, let's be honest. I'm not talking about what I want but rather about what the gaming product market looks like these days.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

I suspect if we recieve anymore Gamma World content from WotC it would likely be in either Dragon or Dungeon Magazine.  I'm no longer a subscriber, but last I saw Dragon Magazine could use some help.
I suspect if we recieve anymore Gamma World content from WotC it would likely be in either Dragon or Dungeon Magazine.  I'm no longer a subscriber, but last I saw Dragon Magazine could use some help.

Roughly 4 months ago, WotC wasn't interested in Gamma World material for Dungeon ( community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... ), and unfortunately, I suspect that hasn't changed. Cry

Kerry
Its seems like... that is all.
As a side note, I can see where a lot of Gamma World was testing for a new D20 Modern, which would have easy to port in material. 
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT
Having bought all three of the releases so far, part of me really likes how it all fits in the game box.  I hat to trim Trouble at Freesboro to make that fit inside the box.  If they had more and more releases, it might get to the point that on gamma world night I can just grab the box off the shelf and head over to my buddy's place.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to write my own adventures.  So as a GM I'm primarily interested in new adventures, not rules supplements.  I think the rules are complete as they are.  I don't think we necessarily need printed adventures, but it would be nice to see more web adventures from D&D's website.
Hopefuly if you can transfer monsters over, then we can use D&D adventures with some minor tweaking and reskinning.

yeah I do notice that Oraibi comes off as an [twit] quite often. I think most on this board have just learned to not take it too seriously.

Oh dear, dissed by the guy with 4 posts who joined 2 days ago. Whatever shall I do.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to write my own adventures.  So as a GM I'm primarily interested in new adventures, not rules supplements.  I think the rules are complete as they are.  I don't think we necessarily need printed adventures, but it would be nice to see more web adventures from D&D's website.

One of the little known secrets of GMing is that Gamma World plays just fine if you choose random maps and arbitrarily pick monsters to use and throw them in together with the thinnest of plots.

It's a very low prep-time game. Also, there have been several adventures posted by other GMs here (and I'm not just talking about mine).

Caoimhe Ora Snow

So, yeah. Some ideas to tweak DnD modules to GW:

• Wizards are now scientists: which makes a lab still a lab.

• Dungeons are abandoned bunkers with mutatant squatters

• The Inn is now the hotel/general store

• Any mention of magical item rewards becomes "draw from the Omega deck"

• Spells are mutant powers/tech

• taverns are well, taverns. But now with neon and "Freebird" playing out of the jukebox.

Santakas - That is pretty much my thoughts.  I do not need any more origins or the like but further level progressions would have been nice. 

Adventures are a main concern as I simply do not have the time to churn them out like I did back in the day when I was in high school/ university and I had nothing but time on my hands.  Now I am working full time and raising my three sons on my own.  This does not grant me much in the way of time to write things up.  This may not be everyone else's need but it is mine. 

My eldest son (11) is the one running the game and he simply has not been doing it long enough (like 2 months) to be able to crank out adventures either.  If they fired one off occasionally through DDI I would be cool with that as well but that seems unlikely given what some of the responses have been here.  It would be nice if even Trouble at Freesboro was available to all.

Vonehter - some good ideas for switching up D&D modules.  I do not own many of these but that might be a way for my son to try his hand at putting an adventure together.

Oraibi - As far as not intorducing my son to the game because it goes to level 10, I did not realize that that would be all there was when he saw it on the shelf at our local games store and wanted to snag it because it looked cool to him.  His brothers (8 & 8 - yep thats twins!) who are playing obviously did not know either but they are having fun and obviously would like to keep playing on if their characters make it to 10th level as well.  It looks like a little home brew stuff will be in order so I will be coming to the forum for that as I do not have time for working out a balanced leveling system either!

All of this would be irrelvant if we did not enjoy playing the game of course but we (my sons and I and another adult) are really quite enjoying the game and are having a fun time playing it.  That is why we would like more!
Hey, what happened to all the potty-talk posts...? I still wanna know what a twit is...
I noticed that there is a Gamma world novel slated for July:

www.amazon.com/Red-Sails-Fallout-Dungeon...

Has this been scheduled all along or is it an indication that there will be more gw material coming out? Please tell me it's the second one lol.
It's been scheduled all along. I know that Steve Winter is waiting to hear from brand management as to whether or not Dragon/Dungeon can go forward with GW. We'll see. I'm going to pitch anyway.
It's been scheduled all along. I know that Steve Winter is waiting to hear from brand management as to whether or not Dragon/Dungeon can go forward with GW. We'll see. I'm going to pitch anyway.

petition time?
I started a petition-esque thread here and over in the Dragon and Dungeon forums, but they were short lived, alas.
Hey, what happened to all the potty-talk posts...? I still wanna know what a twit is...

I know I got email from Wizards.com identifying me as "trolling" here (for no reason) and they deleted several of my comments. Apparently someone with thin skin reported various people on this thread.

Caoimhe Ora Snow

I know I got email from Wizards.com identifying me as "trolling" here (for no reason) and they deleted several of my comments. Apparently someone with thin skin reported various people on this thread.

Huh, I missed all of this. When did it happen?

As a side note, it would seem that a Dungeons and Dragons board is the most logical place to be a troll.
HEY!  I resemble that remark.

*takes a fence* 

Well... I still wanna know what a "twit" is, and now I want to know what "trolling" is...

Thats a bummer that "the Man's" censoring your posts...
HEY!  I resemble that remark.

*takes a fence* 

"... or a big stick."

Wow. That's absurd. If anything, you're the exact opposite of a troll.
So wait, Oraibi the person who's put more time and effort into this site than anyone else I know, got reported for being a troll, most likely by the person who was rude to begin with?

Crazy