Please pray for Rhys "Foxface" Fawkes and his family.

459 posts / 0 new
Last post
It is with sadness in my heart that I come to this forum.

My name is Jon, and I'm a roommate of Rhys and his family, and a player in one of his many campaigns.  Last night, Rhys was in a horrible auto accident.  He is now unconscious and in critical condition.  I wish I could be more positive, but it does not look good.

Rhys spent a lot of time on these boards every night, and considered many of you friends, even when he disagreed with some of you.  I'm sure he would've wanted his friends to know his condition, bad as it is.

So, please pray for Rhys and his family through this difficult time.

If I get any new information, or anything develops, I will post it here.

Thank you, and God bless.
Done and done. Didn't really know him well or spoke to him... but still a terrible shame. I'll be sure to pray and hope for the best for him as well as his family.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams
god how terrible, foxface is a good person

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Done and done. Foxface is awesome. I really hope we get to see him posting here again soon...

Foxface is a model poster.  I really hope to see him return soon.  I am a neuroscience nurse, so I see a lot of cases of patients that are in car accidents that look to be in really rough shape, but come out okay.  I really hope this is one of those cases.

CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
Done and done. Know that he has an entire legion of people behind him.
I really hope this isn't a prank.

Assuming this is true it's a real shame. I do hope he and his make it through okay. Best wishes to them all.
Advice for DMs: When you are ad lib or improve DMing don't self-edit yourself. Some of the most fun you'll ever have is by just going with whatever crazy thing crosses your mind based on what your players are doing. Advice for Players: When your DM is ad libbing there are bound to be plot holes and inconsistencies that crop up. You'll all have a lot more fun if you just roll with it instead of nitpicking the details.
Previous Advice
Advice for DMs: Always dangle a lot of plot hooks in front of you players. Anything they do not bite you can bring back and bite them later. When considering a new house rule ask yourself the question "Will this make the game more fun?" Unless the answer is a resounding yes don't do it. Advice for Players: Always tell the DM not just what you want to do but also what you are hoping to accomplish. No matter how logical the result is it will never happen if it simply never occurred to the DM. "That's what my character would do" is not a valid excuse for being a disruptive ass at the table. Your right to have fun only extends to the point where it impedes the ability of others to do likewise.
I'll be hoping for the best.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Please let Rhys' family know that Rhys was a positive influence in many people's lives.  I pray he recovers.

-wrecan
All the best to him and his family.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Didn't know him but I hope he comes through.

The one thing I have noticed about dnd community's is they gather behind one another very easily, you wouldn't see this kind of support on a video game forum, I am proud to be part of such a community, And I hope that he returns to it.
I'm not one for prayer, but I think I'll make an exception here.  Here's hoping he and his pull through.

I'll be keeping him in mind. SB hit the nail on the head - Foxface really is a model poster, and I really hope to see him posting again soon.

All the best to Foxface and his loved ones.

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Oh no that's terrible. I'll be praying for him. He's a positive influence around here.
Sad state of affairs. Are there any newspaper articles about this,for us who want to read about it?
Wow.  Foxface is one of my favorite individuals here on the forums and one of the more positive influences.  I will definately keep him in my thoughts and prayers and I wish him a speedy recovery. Frown
Such sad news. He and his family are in my thoughts. 

- - -  
Foxface is among the first of the people that I got to know on the boards.  He is a smart, witty, patient and fair-minded person.  I am deeply saddened by this news--in fact I'm actually really upset by it.  I will be praying for him and his family in this time of crisis.  Get better my friend.  I am sending as much positive energy to you as possible.

Michael 
Foxface ? 

Foxface 
Sad. I really hope he gets the better of it. Prayer for him and his family & friends.

Plague 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Foxface is a model poster.  I really hope to see him return soon.  I am a neuroscience nurse, so I see a lot of cases of patients that are in car accidents that look to be in really rough shape, but come out okay.  I really hope this is one of those cases.

l hope he gets well and recovers quickly
My best wishes for him and his family, and for you, 4scythe.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I appreciate you letting us know, 4scythe.

My thoughts and prayers are with him, his friends, and family.
Jackonomicon™ It's not always safe for work, but it's great for play. It's my blog, yo.
I worship several gods.  I shall ask them all for a favor.  And I have not even met this person, but if his presence here is any measure, he is a prince among men.  I hope and pray for his speedy recovery.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
Best wishes and hopeful recovery to Foxface... I do hope he pulls through.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
I have rarely spoken with Foxface but it's always tragic to hear about a fellow D&D player (and an individual in general) involved in a car accident that sadly plague this country in the current era...

I pray for Rhys and his family for a full recovery.
Here's hoping he pulls through.
Quite honestly Foxface is probably one of the most respectful and respected members of the community . I really hope he pulls through and we see his posts again soon.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I doubt any gods will listen, but I will add my prayers. 

We need Foxface back. He keeps us from tearing each other apart.  
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT
Small update:

Rhys is still unconscious, but he's not in a coma.  I'm not sure of the difference.  He's still in very critical condition, with lots of internal injuries, but he's "stable".

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers.
I hope you can pull through this, Rhys.

Thanks for letting us know, 4Scythe. Please keep us informed.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
It is a small step, but in the right direction.  Thank you for the update. 

Rhys and his family well remain in my thoughts.
Glad he's at least stabilized. Hope he comes through okay.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
Best wishes to Foxface and his loved ones.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Thanks so much for the update, 4scyth.  All the best wishes for Rhys and his family.
/\ Art
Hoping for the best for him. He IS a very good person to have in a discussion, no doubt about that. We really do think a lot of him.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
One more person hoping he pulls through.  He's one of the most respectful, well mannered people I've met on these boards, and always has a lot to add to any discussion.  He's one of only 2 or 3 posters I've ever had a lengthy PM conversation with.  I'll be praying for his recovery.
Yes, the latest book/release that you don't like is a blatant attempt by Wizards of the Coast to make money off the fanbase. They all are. That's kinda the point of the Free Enterprise system, companies are in it to make money...
Show
69889855 wrote:
You can't! I tried... and the next night masked men came into my house and beat me until I burned up my ranger character sheet and rolled a scout. They told me... if I ever thought of making a non-essential character that they would kill mitsy..... OH GOD THEY ARE COMING BACK AND ARE FORCING ME TO BUY HEROES OF SHADOWS! SOMEONE STOP THEM PLEASE!
58321818 wrote:
Your DM is your friend. He's not trying to screw with you, or dick you around. Play your character how your character would act. Accept that your character won't always be able to do what he's best at, but also know that as a goddamn HERO, he's gonna try to do his best at what he can do. Roleplay your goddamn character, make the decisions he would make, and roll appropriately. Everything will be fine.
57025236 wrote:
But filling a post with vitriol, hate-filled comments, like "these people should be fired", swearing at us or other ambiguous members of the company - there really is no reason for that. Please share your feedback respectfully, and consider how you would share your ideas if this were a face to face conversation between real people, not faceless names on a screen.
If you see me posting in a thread about editions or Essentials (that isn't simply a rules thread or similar) remind me that I'm trying to stay away from them. (My blood pressure will thank us both.)
It's always the good ones.

Let his family know we're pulling for him.

I'll keep this post on the General area for about a week, then move it to the Community Business board.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.

Here's hoping he get's well soon

Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
My hope and prayers go out to him and his family.
Thanks for letting us know.  We all like 'face.