PAUP - Wizards needs to ban Frantic Search/Fix Temporal Storm Combo decks

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
i'm totally convinced that temporal storm decks are just too powerful and are just too dominating of the pauper dailies (by the way, finally, great idea on having pauper dailies!). 

upon close examination of all the cards in that deck, i think frantic search is far and away the most ideal card to ban in the format.  since banning temporal fissure itself might be a bit too extreme and would completely stop the deck, frantic search seems best then because it is the single most powerful engine in that deck, providing both the extra mana and drawing cards.  free drawing/digging spells are just too powerful, this seems like a no brainer.  being banned in legacy should probably give a clue about this, since we all know that pauper was created based on the classic card pool and not the legacy one because pauper was created at a time when legacy was not a supported online format. 

after having talked with enough magic online users via chat windows over the last few weeks and months, i get the general impression that most people dislike that deck, even more so than they ever did grixis storm (aka, empty the warrens and grapeshot storm combo decks).  grixis storm decks, by the way, have pretty much fallen off the radar in play, since temporal storm decks are far more consistent and much, much harder to hate out.  at least against grixis storm, there existed multiple options for interacting with that combo; sweepers like seismic shudder for the goblin tokens or prismatic strands for grapeshot.  at least there were ways to not auto-lose to that deck, but against temporal fissure, the card is virutally unstoppable.  in reality, the only real ways to stop it are forcing discard using something like duress, trying to counter an important draw spell (but anyone who has played against this knows this is no easy task), or play hindering touch.  i've started using the later, myself, but if they manage to combo off before i hit 4 lands (something they can definitely do), then i'm out of luck and i've probalby only got the ability to play one counterspell at that point of me only having 3 lands in play.  temporal storm can definitely play through one counterspell, i've seen that fact proved on several occaions.  furthermore, between the options i've laid out and the few other strategies that work, temporal storm decks are pretty stifling on the meta game.  you either need to be dedicated LD to try and keep them off the ravnica karoo lands, be fast aggro like goblins, be playing black for duress effects, or play blue for countermagic (very specific countermagic, mind you).

now i'm not going to all out say ban all combo decks like i have in the past, i've matured past this notion.  but its pretty hard to ignore the fact that despite the few tactics out there, temporal storm decks continue to dominate top positions in daily events.  off all decks posting a 3-1 or 4-0 record, temporal storm decks seem to be making up 40% or more of those results (an unmeasured, glacing statistic, to be fair).

i welcome all comments, criticisms, and insights into this problem or of my argument.  healthy discussion, i believe, would shed light to wizards, who seem to be ignorant of the fact that this deck is dominating, despite the fact that wizards has even featured this deck as a "Deck of the Day" before; so we know they know the deck is good and dominating (so no excuses!).

floor is open, please, let's get some outside commentary to see if a case can't be effectively brought about to ban some part of the temporal storm engine.  i'll say again, i believe frantic search would be the best card to ban as it hinders the deck, but doesn't make it unplayble at the same point.  the deck would still function, just not at the ultra efficient level it does now.  proceed..... floor is open.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I tend to agree. The deck without Frantic Search does lessen the power of it a lot and leaves it more vulnerable to hate. Temporal Storm is a really hard deck to attack due to Frantic Search. Aggro decks usually have no answers [maybe Early Frost?], and Control seems way too slow, and as Burning has said, Hindering Touch is often a turn too late. Its pretty clear that Frantic Search is the key card to a lot of the deck, due to the fact that it both:
a)Digs for more pieces
b)Generates mana
Its very hard to distrupt the combo when one card can glue the pieces together, especially when almost all the combo answers are based in Rares and Mythics.
Photobucket
all decks posting a 3-1 or 4-0 record, temporal storm decks seem to be making up 40% or more of those results (an unmeasured, glacing statistic, to be fair).

It's more like 20%.

Right now there is a very balanced (note I did not say healthy - just balanced) metagame, with Frantic Storm, Grapeshot/ETW Storm, Goblins, Izzet Post and Mono Green LD Post decks making up a majority of the 3-1 and 4-0 decks.  MBC, Burn, Mono-Green Aggro and White Weenie also make periodic appearances as well.

To me, that seems like it is much more diverse than you tend to describe above, but I do understand the frustration players may have against the Frantic Storm deck, which admittedly is a very strong deck.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwww yeah!

months of asking finally pays off i guess

frantic search is banned

all my decks just got 10x better

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket