03/03/2011 FtL: "No Contest"

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Wow, it's been a while since I read a from the lab column, and I come back to this.  Morrorweaving walking Contested Warzones, Noel deCordova, you are a bad man.

I approve.
This is the happy swamp. Love it. I am red/blue, I think logically and act impulsively.
I haven't seen anything this crazy since MaGo cast March of the Machines with Mycosynth Lattice out.
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm
one of the best articles in From the Lab since the deck which can win infinitely many times!!
i laughed for more than 179 seconds!!!
Best FTL article in a looong time!
This actually made me want to tune this deck and play it :D
Great article! Love the style and love the deck even more! Epic win is epic!

Writing this post from a boat
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
nice indeed,
but the deck has only 56 cards and 19 lands.
is there something missing from the list?
regards
t
nice indeed,
but the deck has only 56 cards and 19 lands.
is there something missing from the list?
regards
t

In one of the pictures it looks as if he's got two Wooded Bastion in play.

So maybe the missing cards are x4
Wooded Bastion.
I'm a big fan of combo decks and this one takes the "genre" over the top! Wonderful build. Thanks for sharing it. And your article makes me wanna try it out so much. I definitely like the new FTL format, I suggest keeping it. Keep the screenshots coming, too.
Wow, that is one crazy deck.  Stealing all of your opponents lands and creatures by turning them into Contested War Zones is pretty nasty.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Wow. That is one fantastic deck capable of some utterly awesomely crazy plays. I love the screenshots and descriptions of the mad events.

It's not the kind of article you'd want to do very often. Only with a deck that can really handle it. But this one was an awesome choice.

(I love Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile. I used to play her on MTGO with Thousand-Year Elixir, To Arms!, Magewright's Stone and suchlike. One time she single-handedly killed about 15 13/13 Elf tokens that were attacking me (my opponent had been using Spitting Image on Imperious Perfect).) 
Decks like this are very worthy of doing such a column, but perhaps you could have more of a structure.
While it is cool to read a summary of awesome moments, perhaps you could go a bit more into possible ways for us to customize the deck, or familiarizing us with common and uncommon decisions you have to make during play.

By 'decks like this' I mean a deck that has some depth to it. Aggressive decks won't do it for me in this setup since those aren't very deep. This deck seems surprisingly varied for a linear idea.

On the deck, I would find room for Trinket Mages. They are able to fetch Expedition Map > Contested War Zone, and also Lifespark Spellbomb, which can act as Nature's Revolt when Nature's Revolt is not around.

Also, snap-downloaded What About Bob?.
Photobucket

First of concerning the deck idea: Noel, you are more than pulling of the crazy evil professor thing that seems so fitting for a column called "from the lab" with this one! 

Second, concerning the snapshots, and game play situation discussions; I like it a lot, when a deck merits such treatment, it's a nice change of pace from the 3 deck idea's a week columns.

Third, concerning the title of the article: well, I always liked the challenge of your deck building contests as well, so it did make me wonder when we will see the next one?

Keep up the good work!   

Concerning the structure of the article:

My only suggestion would be to get one of the web guys to make those screenshots zoom-able.
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm
Brilliant!  Absolutely brilliant.  On every level.  In fact, I want to make this deck so badly.  This format of the article really let your happiness with this deck shine through.  I think all of us really got a sense of you giggling during the entire thing.  Really fantastic.

Sure, you probably can't do it for every deck, but since this one is so out there, it deserves a special type of column.

I personally love that someone rage quit after you turned their reanimator shenanigans against them.  Teehee.  You were simply using their cards against them.  can they really be angry?  They brought those weapons to the table to be used, and that they are.   
sidenote:  The "combat damage" clause of the Contested War Zone means that this won't scale up 100% for multiplayer tables.  However, Linvala + Natures Revolt does scale perfectly, so you could lock down an entire table.  
I tought the deck was amazing,  Bt even better was the format for the article.

By giving the deck list 1st, it makes it like a puzzle.  Trying to figure out what the combos will be by just reading the card list is awesome.   I do like the way you break down the synergies for each card in the later sections.  However I didnt really get much out of the screen shots  (we exept the won where you had a bazillion Contested War Zones).  If you must include them the makethem zoomable like the other poster suggested.

Once again thanks for the enjoyable reading every week.

Brilliant Deck - I went through the list and thought "Hero of what?" Kitchen Finks? Time of Need?? and the the Revolt, Mirrorweave and Leyline - I knew something was up, but what???

Brilliant Article, as well. Dont rely too much on the Screenshots - they dont really convey lots of Information, except maybe "I own all lands and they are all the same" or "Boatload of triggers on the stack" or something. The Necromancy one, forexample, didnt tell me anything at all.

You are a worthy successeor of MaGo.Smile
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
Chiming in with others, awesome deck and good column. Actually made me want to build the deck.
Grow old or die trying.
I also love Mirrorweave! I designed a Living Plane, Mirrorweave, Sorrow's Path deck, but it was clunky because it needed a Mana Short or Drain Power to go off.

But Contested Wazone doesn't require a 4th card to work, it's actually a legit card, and the effect is better. It's less funny, but more effective. Killing someone with Sorrow's Path (my method) requires that they control 10 copies of it, and they may not have had creatures + lands == 10. But stealing whatever they have is always effective and almost as funny.

------------------------------

P.S. It is not faster or easier to kill your opponent with Sorrow's Path by just swinging with it. Seafarer's Quay will put your opponent on a 10 or 20 turn clock. But if you try to swing with a Sorrow's Path it'll kill itself, Shock you in the face, and torch your army. It's that bad.
I also love Mirrorweave! I designed a Living Plane, Mirrorweave, Sorrow's Path deck, but it was clunky because it needed a Mana Short or Drain Power to go off.

But Contested Wazone doesn't require a 4th card to work, it's actually a legit card, and the effect is better. It's less funny, but more effective. Killing someone with Sorrow's Path (my method) requires that they control 10 copies of it, and they may not have had creatures + lands == 10. But stealing whatever they have is always effective and almost as funny.

------------------------------

P.S. It is not faster or easier to kill your opponent with Sorrow's Path by just swinging with it. Seafarer's Quay will put your opponent on a 10 or 20 turn clock. But if you try to swing with a Sorrow's Path it'll kill itself, Shock you in the face, and torch your army. It's that bad.

I really, REALLY like that you made a deck designed to exploit Sorrow's Path (of all things).  However, I don't think it works the way you think it does, since Sorrow's Path's ability is not a mana ability, nor can it be activated by an effect you control that taps it.

It would work with Mindslaver, though.  Just remember that they need a total of 12 creatures + lands, as the Sorrow's Path effect must have legal targets. 
@ Katastrophe:

Your deck idea inspired me to put this togehter:

Lands
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Sorrow's Path
4 Tolaria West
12 Island

Creatures
4 Fog Bank
4 Wall of Frost
4 Wall of Air

Other Spells
4 Kormus Bell
4 Mirrorweave
4 Mindslaver
4 Compulsion
4 Echoing Truth
4 Flow of Ideas

It's just a rough skeleton, long on combo and short on disruption, but it should work.  I kept it mono-blue to make the mana easier.  Also, Sorrow's Path is pretty much the only win condition, so make it count!
I love any deck where the creator has to take pictures of the board to convey the full abusrdity of how it works.
Saw the MTGO pics, stopped reading.

It looked interesting, though. And I'm sure it was.
Oh, Noel, that article tickles me in a way, that if Loretta tickled me in that way, I'd say, Oh yea ... that's nice ... that's the spot.
Oh, Noel, that article tickles me in a way, that if Loretta tickled me in that way, I'd say, Oh yea ... that's nice ... that's the spot.

+1
I lol'd.
The MTGO pics were awesome.  PROOF that it works.  As they say, pics or it didn't happen. 

Having those MTGO pics are totally awesome. 

Best ever FTL.