Quick question on origins...

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
How many people let thier players pick the order of the 1st and second origin (as long as they are different rolls, of course)? Like, if they roll Howkoid and Pyrokinetic, do you let them select the order? 
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT
For my first game I let players pick both, but yes if they rolled I'd let them pick the primary.
We play completely random character generation, but with two player-controls:

• Roll three origins and pick two of them.

• Place in desired primary and secondary slots.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I plan on enforcing my interpretation of the optional origin rules: if you ask to choose any element of your origin, you're a big chicken. Literally. I'm working on my "Big Chicken" origin right now...
I enforced the order rolled.  On any replacement characters, I might allow them to pick their primary.

Another option I considered was having them roll 3 sets (order enforced) and choose their favorite combo. 
I have players draw origins from a hat - litterally, it's a fedora - everyone draws their primary origin, then we go around in reverse order and draw the secondary.  One advantage of drawing rather than rolling: no duplicates (Engineered Human is in the hat, though, so it can be drawn, and could just as easily be primary as secondary).

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

In the first one-shot game I did, I had the players roll their primary origin and then pick a secondary origin.

In my current game, everyone rolls randomly. If someone rolls an origin that some one else is already playing, they reroll that origin until they get something unique.
I initially said there could be duplicates, but I'm regretting that, as I have 2 felinoids, 2 yetis, and 2 aliens between 6 players.
I plan on making a set of origin cards for players to draw from, then doubling the cards. There will be one Engineered Human card in there as well, as the expansions have greatly diluted the 5% chance of being an EH. 

The basic deck will therefore contain 97 cards (2 of each origin plus one EH). The chance of being an Engineered Human has dropped to roughly 3%, but is still possible by either drawing the card or the same origin twice per the rules.

Engineered Human will always be secondary unless the card is drawn as the primary origin (first draw).

If I add more origins, I will probably add a second Engineered Human origin card to the deck. Drawing both would indicate the character is a Pure Strain Human (I'll have to figure out mechanics for one that I like, but I really miss that as an origin from the previous editions).
I plan on making a set of origin cards for players to draw from, then doubling the cards. There will be one Engineered Human card in there as well, as the expansions have greatly diluted the 5% chance of being an EH. 

The basic deck will therefore contain 97 cards (2 of each origin plus one EH). The chance of being an Engineered Human has dropped to roughly 3%, but is still possible by either drawing the card or the same origin twice per the rules.

Ok, I have only the core set so I don't know how they modified the rolls to include the other origins, but your math is wrong. There is a 5% chance of any ONE number on any ONE d20. Engineered Human in the core set only required both d20's to have the same number. That is 5% x 5% for a total chance of 0.25%. Which fits the setting, as 'normal' looking humans are bloody rare. 

However, I like the deck idea, and if you use the same amount of cards as origins (1 card per origin, however), replace and reshuffle after each draw, and only have the Enigneered Human come up if the same origin is drawn twice, it would have the same probability as rolling it. 

{Edit-Math Brain Fart}
No one wins in the Edition Wars. The whole hobby loses. Wizards did not lose me as a DDI subscriber with the Online CB, they lost me long before that. And I have let my Herald Level GM Status lapse after 8 years. Wizards lack of support and the Edition Wars Trolls that are poorly moderated just managed to take all the fun out of public events. ~~ KT
No, his math is right.  Out of 400 possible combinations of two 20-sided dice, there are 20 results that give you engineered human.  5%.

Think of it this way: no matter what primary origin you roll, you have a 1 in 20 chance of getting engineered human for your second.
No, his math is right.  Out of 400 possible combinations of two 20-sided dice, there are 20 results that give you engineered human.  5%.

Think of it this way: no matter what primary origin you roll, you have a 1 in 20 chance of getting engineered human for your second.

Except these are independant events. The first die roll will NOT affect the second. Therefore they multiply. 

www.ehow.com/list_7432706_probabilities-...

The engineered human result uses the same math as snake-eyes (same number on both dice) except the chance of each number is 1/20. 

1/20 (5%) x 1/20 (5%) = 0.25%.

Statistics is the only thing in advanced math that I'm good at. {Edit - When I'm awake.}
Except these are independant events. The first die roll will NOT affect the second.

Exactly.  NO MATTER WHAT YOU ROLL for your first origin, you have a 1 in 20 chance of getting engineered human.  There are 400 possible combination of 20 origins.  20 of those combinations result in an engineered human.

Engineered human is NOT the same math as snake-eyes.  Rolling a specific origin twice is the same math as snake-eyes.  Rolling yeti twice is 0.25%.  Getting engineered human is the same math as getting ANY set of doubles.  Getting any origin twice is 5%.

Tell me, if you will, what the odds are of rolling doubles on 2d6?  Now, how about 2d20?  (Just to be clear, this is not advanced math.  You'll have the right answer as soon as you take the next logical step.)
Oh yeah, duh! *smakcs head* They are independant rolls, but not reliant on any ONE number, just any two matching numbers. Sorry. 

This has been a long week. Thank god it's 'spring break'. 
No worries, it happens to the best of us.  
The basic rule of thumb is "use any method that the GM approves" when determining what your origins are.

I like the origin cards that anarchy made. Those are pretty awesome.

I've also allowed -- before Legion of Gold came out -- players to roll 1d20 and then choose whether they would take the D&D Gamma World origin or the Famine in Far-Go origin that corresponds to that roll. Then repeated a different roll for the secondary origin.

And sometimes I let players reroll if they've rolled something too close to what they played before, or what someone else is currently playing.

I don't really call people big chickens though.
Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.
I don't really call people big chickens though.

Of course, not. 

"Gallus-Gallus," maybe... ;)

Want to see the best of 4e included in 5e?  Join the Old Guard of 4e.

5e really needs something like Wrecan's SARN-FU to support "Theatre of the Mind."

"You want The Tooth?  You can't handle The Tooth!"  - Dahlver-Nar.

"If magic is unrestrained in the campaign, D&D quickly degenerates into a weird wizard show where players get bored quickly"  - E. Gary Gygax

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!