D&D Insider Beta refugees

774 posts / 0 new
Last post

It looks like the D&D Insider Beta group was blacked out with the VT. Does anyone know if this group is gone for good? There was a nice little community forming there. It would be a shame if it went up in smoke. Post here if you know something.

Don't know for sure but I assume it will be back when VT is back on line. 
it will be back up next monday, they are doing some forum stuff so its off for now as well
Ha that's why ! I just wrote a friend to find out cause i wasn't seeing it in my groups anymore...

just hope its Temporary, but it might be carried over to the D&D Board and stop be a Private Group if we enter the OPEN BETA Phase....

it will be back up next monday, they are doing some forum stuff so its off for now as well

Frothsof, have you got any information on what forum stuff they might be doing? Is it just clean up or are they adding anything that was talked about, i.e. chat, calendar links?

all i know is that they are cleaning it up, i dont know if any features are being added
Details have been sparse on what all is happening in the blackout period.  The beta group is accessable, forums are still up, just can't create any tables right now, at least I can't, says I have to subscribe to be able to do so.

actually the beta group is not accessible to a lot of users. they did a fine job of explaining about the blackout imo. monday it will be back up and expect more ddi people to be invited

It would have been nice to keep access to the group and forums, but a week is not such a long time. The lack of distraction will help me focus on the regular face to face game.

For those who still have access, if you get any tidbits of info keep us posted.
Well good to see the group chiming in. Can't wait to get back to gaming.  Kenage thanks for the game the other night it was awesome. I have a new adventure I finished just before the blackout I will be running it as soon as VT comes up.  
@Kenage you still can access the BETA Forum ? Humm.. that's weird. I thought everyone was blocked access.

I don't even see it in my Groups anymore...Do you guys still see it in yours ?
Nope it is gone!!!!!
I certainly hope we see a lot of improvements and some new features when they VT beta comes back up.

@Kenage you still can access the BETA Forum ? Humm.. that's weird. I thought everyone was blocked access.

I don't even see it in my Groups anymore...Do you guys still see it in yours ?

I am in the same boat as you, the group does not show.

Glad i am not the only one !

We all do Dane.  Especially Save Tokens & Automations.  Damn' Auto-Bloodied !

Hey if they dont get that fixed before Monday, and a batch of 9,500 DDi are Invited, the number of Post reporting Bugs will increase dramatically.

The reason why i think there will be no IMPORT ever is that they will intend to sell some adventures and Maps. If they do, and you can mail the 26kb .DDADV file or 12kb .DDMAP to your friends, they won't make enought money out of it. If you can get a PC from your Friend's CB and IMPORT it they won't sell you DDi etc...Same for Monsters. I see no other good reasons why removing such Features really.

Going with a In-Cloud System put you & them in a two way deal. No one to Interfere with their business...

Yes it would require subscribing to DDi. But it would assure them this steady income. I just wonder with such system what Outsiders will have to do to play. The Credit Card Transaction system seemed  viable. But was it for them ? For us to purchase more stuff ? Who knows....
Glad i am not the only one !

We all do Dane.  Especially Save Tokens & Automations.  Damn' Auto-Bloodied !

Hey if they dont get that fixed before Monday, and a batch of 9,500 DDi are Invited, the number of Post reporting Bugs will increase dramatically.

The reason why i think there will be no IMPORT ever is that they will intend to sell some adventures and Maps. If they do, and you can mail the 26kb .DDADV file or 12kb .DDMAP to your friends, they won't make enought money out of it. If you can get a PC from your Friend's CB and IMPORT it they won't sell you DDi etc...Same for Monsters. I see no other good reasons why removing such Features really.

Going with a In-Cloud System put you & them in a two way deal. No one to Interfere with their business...

Yes it would require subscribing to DDi. But it would assure them this steady income. I just wonder with such system what Outsiders will have to do to play. The Credit Card Transaction system seemed  viable. But was it for them ? For us to purchase more stuff ? Who knows....

...honestly, if they try this, I would bet money it backfires. there are just too many people who would say, screw this$, and either buy a program with a one time fee, or use one of the free VTs that everyone is caliming are superior.

I hope they get their act together and produce something people will want to pay for--I really do. but treating all of their paying customers like theives won't help them in the long run.

I'm also concerned that it seems their focus is all on the VT and making that work. Since new tools will be built to work with the VT, I'm left feeling that they won't be as useful outside of the VT. That everything will be geared towards using with the VT, and very little exporting for use outside the VT will exist.

Meaning those of us that mainly play the game face to face are going to get screwed.

Take for example maps. You currently make them in the VT. Ok fine. But they won't say if they will let you export them as an image. Ok, but does that mean we will get a map making tool? It's certainly something they have talked about. But if map making happens inside the VT, would there be a reason to make a second tool that just makes maps? Probably not, no really need to duplicate work.

And since they won't answer if they intend to allow us to export the maps as images, I'm left feeling the answer is going to be no. (Not even a, it's something we are reviewing).

So, right now, it's very frustrating. It feels like the direction they are going to take DDi, is all the tools work with the VT, but do little to export out for face to face gaming. The CB and the Monster Builder will probably be it, and only because they already had tools designed to do that.

Anything else we get, might end up being VT usable only.

If that happens I won't really need to subscribe to DDi anymore. And my respect for WoTC will go way down, because it's one thing to change plans, it's another to be silent about that change, while taking someone's money. Up to now they have been open about the change of directions DDi has taken from 2.5 years ago. They are suddenly being more closed about that.

If they plan on all the tools being usable for both the VT, and face to face, with the ability to export and use as you need, they can just say so. And if they do say so, don't be cagey about the answer. Don't be like you were with the online move, saying the online CB will support the offline CB.

being able to save pcs is not debatable, it MUST happen
Being able to draw maps better than my 5 years old daughter is not debatabe. It MUST Happen too  Tongue out
d20pro does all these things now the problem with it is there is not enough users to start and keep games going. 
d20pro does all these things now the problem with it is there is not enough users to start and keep games going. 

To me, this is the real advantage the VT has - there's a "captive audience" willing to use it who are not willing to use alternative tools, and there's apparently a large contingent of people who are into pickup gaming, which the VT simplifies greatly (I am not into pickup games; there's no appeal there for me). 

Feature wise, it's way behind. But there's a lot to be said for a built-in user base.

To me, this is the real advantage the VT has - there's a "captive audience" willing to use it who are not willing to use alternative tools, and there's apparently a large contingent of people who are into pickup gaming, which the VT simplifies greatly (I am not into pickup games; there's no appeal there for me). 

Feature wise, it's way behind. But there's a lot to be said for a built-in user base.

True IMO thats the biggest advantage. The downside is we have to wait for WOTC to play catch up  

But in time, I think that built in user base will not be satisfied with the VT if it remains so feature less. My gut instinct is that they will come to it assuming it is DnD, and find out that in fact, it's barely DnD. Meaning that you can use it pla DnD, but it doesn't help you play DnD.

Theywill want the automation many of us have been asking for. They will want many of the features we have suggested.

Is the new beta going to be for all DDi members? Or are they going to send out random invites again, only this time to DDi members only?

Sent a e-mail to Josh, this was his reply 

RE: Beta Forum

There's not much I can add there.  We've got a few things in the works, some stuff being tested right now, but I don't really have confirmation on most of the specific changes yet. 

You'll all just have to be patient, and see. 

Wotc_Josh

being able to save pcs is not debatable, it MUST happen

The import was nice. It still left a lot of work to run or play in a game. With out a save option it feels like a bit of a wasted effort. You might never use that adventure or character again, but you could.

The number of games going on seemed to drop off the last while. Maybe it was the approach of this black out, but maybe not. Maybe there was some cut and paste fatigue.

im having withdrawals
I have not much details just encouraging words, but here's what Chris wrote me today and had to say about the VT:

christopher_perkins has left you a message. Login then click on the MESSAGE CENTER to view your new message.

... I will probably spend more time on the VT once it's polished. I've been demo-ing the VT at conventions and still find the interface a bit awkward (but those issues are being resolved).

im having withdrawals

*tick* *tick* Me too. Must play! Must play! I'm Jonesing!
OOOH !!  THAATS WHAAAAT THE SHAA, THATS WHAT THE SHAAKE IS A.. IS A, IS ALL ABOOUUUUT ? Laughing
OOOH !!  THAATS WHAAAAT THE SHAA, THATS WHAT THE SHAAKE IS A.. IS A, IS ALL ABOOUUUUT ? Laughing

I miss plaguescarred and others talking about breast milk and raising babies before we started the last game we got to play. Nothing goes better with DND than baby talk!!!!!LaughingYellFoot in mouthTongue outSurprisedSurprisedSurprised
im having withdrawals

I am also.

And yes, We need the ability to save our toons.  Even with the Import, when I would join a table, the first 20 minutes-ish, was spent editing all the fields to my liking, and to a format that would be easy to understand by the DM and the other players.  Stuff like typing out
"Inspiring Word;  Spend a Healing surge and get an extra  -  1d6+4"
"Plus, gain extra Temp HP - 3" 

If someone makes a mistake, and you scroll up, and all you see is "Attack (AC) 1d20[5]+5 = 10  Damage 1d8[4]+5 = 9"     How do you tell which attack the mistake was for?  At least if you realize that an Encounter was used already, you can go back and find the encounter name (IF IT'S THERE) and discount that roll, or whatever.

I have not much details just encouraging words, but here's what Chris wrote me today and had to say about the VT:

christopher_perkins has left you a message. Login then click on the MESSAGE CENTER to view your new message.

... I will probably spend more time on the VT once it's polished. I've been demo-ing the VT at conventions and still find the interface a bit awkward (but those issues are being resolved).

Oooooh. . .  wait.  While, I like the idea of possibly, potentially, maybe, playing a game with Chris Perkins. .   when even he says that he finds the interface ackward. .  that should be telling the Devs something.
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
OOOH !!  THAATS WHAAAAT THE SHAA, THATS WHAT THE SHAAKE IS A.. IS A, IS ALL ABOOUUUUT ? 

I miss plaguescarred and others talking about breast milk and raising babies before we started the last game we got to play. Nothing goes better with DND than baby talk!!!!!

I was to put capital letters and all that, but i'll write it

I am rolling on the freakin floor laughting so loud that the damn key got stuck on the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA letters for a moment 

And the funniest, this conversation all started because of one Player in another game that had to stop to change diapers... 

The man of today of a complete well rounded specimen. Hey girl ?

Me ? I am missing Kenage's wife  Tongue out 
Here's what I'm hoping:

It appears they kicked us all out, and after the transition are only allowing DDI people in. So, I really hope that us who were already in it get back in on the first round of it opening rather than having to wait around for an arbitrarily set roll-in. 
Here's what I'm hoping:

It appears they kicked us all out, and after the transition are only allowing DDI people in. So, I really hope that us who were already in it get back in on the first round of it opening rather than having to wait around for an arbitrarily set roll-in. 

I think they said anyone that was in the beta and was in DDi would be back in the Beta when it comes back up. After all, they are going to need people that know how to use the VT there to explain to new people.
Here's what I'm hoping:

there will be no wait, you are still in the beta. no ddi subscriber was 'kicked out', it is just forum maintenance
Look at it this way, we only have about 125 hours or so to wait.Tongue out
In 125 hours, I want to be able to admit I was wrong.

Please make me wrong, WoTC, show that the VT is going to grow and be great.
Look at it this way, we only have about 125 hours or so to wait.

123 and counting!
someone run something paragon when we get back, i want to ruin it with my critvenger Innocent
See how this VT is powerful and addictive. Crusifix must be commatose right now Laughing  TRUE

Where's Crusifix ?

Yo bro Pick-up the phone.  Yo G ?

Wasssup ? 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL_qGMfbtAk&feat...

Wasssuuuuuuup ? 

Sign In to post comments