Phyrexian Revoker

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
A few clarification questions about this awesome little utility card:

1). If I use it to target, say, a Silver Myr, will it effectively shut down all other Silver Myr in play and any others that may be cast later?

2). If I use it to target Ezuri, and he dies, will a fresh copy still be revoked until my Revoker leaves play?

3). This card can target things like equipments, yes? Because the "equip" ability is still considered to be an activated ability, right? Similarly, it can target enchantments like Quest for the Holy Relic since saccing it is an activated ability?

4). Do I even have to declare a card that's actualy on the battlefield?

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Photobucket

When you name a card, for as long as the Phyrexian Revoker is on the battlefield, you can't use the activated abilities of the named card. It doesn't matter if a card that is so named is in play, it doesn't matter if the named card leaves play and comes back, it doesn't matter what types the named card has. As long as the Revoker is on the battlefield all cards so named can't activate their abilities.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

A quick clarification: Phyrexian Revoker doesn't target anything. (You can tell because it doesn't use the word "target".) You simply choose a card name.

To answer your questions, yes, yes, yes, and no, respectively. You can name any nonland card at all that's legal in the format you're playing, no matter whether there happens to be one on the battlefield or not. Its effect applies to all cards with the chosen name and applies to all of them for as long as the Revoker remains on the battlefield, no matter whether they're new or old. Both the Equip ability and Quest for the Holy Relic's sacrifice ability can be shut down by the revoker, since they are indeed activated abilities.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

1). If I use it to target, say, a Silver Myr, will it effectively shut down all other Silver Myr in play and any others that may be cast later?

2). If I use it to target Ezuri, and he dies, will a fresh copy still be revoked until my Revoker leaves play?

3). This card can target things like equipments, yes? Because the "equip" ability is still considered to be an activated ability, right? Similarly, it can target enchantments like Quest for the Holy Relic since saccing it is an activated ability?

You can name any nonland card, whether one is on the battlefield or not.  Any cards with the name that you chose will not be able to activate any abilities.

And yes, equip is an activated ability.

1. It doesn't target anything. You simply name a card. If you name "Silver Myr", it affects cards named "Silver Myr". You don't have to choose a particular Silver Myr, in fact there doesn't even need to be one on the battlefield.

2. & 4. See above.

3. Yes, Equip is an activated ability. If you named Quest for the Holy Relic, it could still accumulate counters, but the ability that involves sacrificing it could not be played.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011

couple of things regarding equipment and Quest for the Holy relic - just reading between the lines from your original post, especially regarding question 3...

scenario A. You play Phyrexian revoker and name Quest for the Holy relic.
your opponent cannot sacrifice their Quest to search up an equipment card. HOwever, they can continue to put counters on it. If/when your revoker leaves the battlefield, they can once again use the Quest's sacrifice ability.

Scenario B. You name Argentum Armor (or other equipment card) for your revoker
3 things...
i. Suppose your opponent has a Quest for the Holy Relic in play, with 5 counters on it. They can sacrifice the quest, search for Argentum armor and attach it to one of their creatures. Attaching the searched-for equipment in this case doesn't use the equipment's activated equip ability - the Quest is what tells the player to attach the equipment.
ii. Similarly if your opponent already has Argentum Armor (unattached) on the battlefield - they can cast Kor Outfitter and attach the armor to a creature that way. All that the Phyrexian Revoker prevents is your opponent paying to equip the armor directly using the equip ability.
iii. The revoker does NOT prevent the triggered ability on Armor from destroying a permanent if somehow the armor is already equipped to one of your opponent's creatures and they attack with the equipped creature.

M:tG Rules Adviser
Ok a few more questions:
1. It was stated earlier "When you name a card, for as long as Phyrxian Revoker is in play ...........". My question would be: Where does it say that on the card? What rule is being used to to establish this? I quess my thought is that it states when PR enters the battlefield, name a card..........It does not say that anything changes when PR leaves the battlefield, goes to the graveyard, in play, etc.

Another question is this: here's the example:
Venser is on the battlefield.
Phyrexian Revoker is played and reolves: a card is named.
Phyrexian Revoker is exiled by Venser, and enters the battlefiend at the begining of your endstep: a different card is named.

Now since PR is on the battlefield, are the activated abilities of both cards you've named so far prevented?

Thanks.
r
1) Abilities work only on the battlefield, unless they explicitly state otherwise or they cannot work except in a different zone.

112.6. Abilities of an instant or sorcery spell usually function only while that object is on the stack. Abilities of all other objects usually function only while that object is on the battlefield. The exceptions are as follows:

Exceptions, none of which apply
112.6a Characteristic-defining abilities function everywhere, even outside the game. (See rule 604.3.)

112.6b An ability that states which zones it functions in functions only from those zones.

112.6c An object’s ability that allows a player to pay an alternative cost rather than its mana cost functions in any zone in which its mana cost can be paid (which, in general, means it functions on the stack). An object’s ability that otherwise modifies what that particular object costs to cast functions on the stack.

112.6d An object’s ability that restricts or modifies how that particular object can be played or cast functions in any zone from which it could be played or cast.

112.6e An object’s ability that restricts or modifies what zones that particular object can be played or cast from functions everywhere, even outside the game.

112.6f An object’s ability that states it can’t be countered or can’t be countered by spells and abilities functions on the stack.

112.6g An object’s ability that modifies how that particular object enters the battlefield functions as that object is entering the battlefield. See rule 614.12.

112.6h An object’s activated ability that has a cost that can’t be paid while the object is on the battlefield functions from any zone in which its cost can be paid.

112.6i A trigger condition that can’t trigger from the battlefield functions in all zones it can trigger from. Other trigger conditions of the same triggered ability may function in different zones.

Example: Absolver Thrull has the ability “When Absolver Thrull enters the battlefield or the creature it haunts is put into a graveyard, destroy target enchantment.” The first trigger condition functions from the battlefield and the second trigger condition functions from the exile zone. (See rule 702.52, “Haunt.”)

112.6j An ability whose cost or effect specifies that it moves the object it’s on out of a particular zone functions only in that zone, unless that ability’s trigger condition, or a previous part of that ability’s cost or effect, specifies that the object is put into that zone.

Example: Necrosavant says “{3}{B}{B}, Sacrifice a creature: Return Necrosavant from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.” A player may activate this ability only if Necrosavant is in his or her graveyard.

112.6k An ability that modifies the rules for deck construction functions before the game begins. Such an ability modifies not just the Comprehensive Rules, but also the Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and any other documents that set the deck construction rules for a specific Constructed format. However, such an ability can’t affect the format legality of a card, including whether it’s banned or restricted. The current Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules can be found at www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Events.aspx?x=....112.6m Abilities of emblems, plane cards, vanguard cards, and scheme cards function in the command zone. See rule 113, “Emblems”; rule 901, “Planar Magic”; rule 902, “Vanguard”; and rule 904, “Archenemy.”

2) The Revoker that returns from exile is a new object, with no memory of what happened with the previous Revoker. It will only stop the one newly named card from being played.

1. It was stated earlier "When you name a card, for as long as Phyrxian Revoker is in play ...........". My question would be: Where does it say that on the card?

It doesn't.
What rule is being used to to establish this?

This one:

112.6. Abilities of an instant or sorcery spell usually function only while that object is on the stack. Abilities of all other objects usually function only while that object is on the battlefield. The exceptions are as follows:
Irrelevant Exceptions

112.6a Characteristic-defining abilities function everywhere, even outside the game. (See rule 604.3.)
112.6b An ability that states which zones it functions in functions only from those zones.
112.6c An object's ability that allows a player to pay an alternative cost rather than its mana cost functions in any zone in which its mana cost can be paid (which, in general, means it functions on the stack). An object's ability that otherwise modifies what that particular object costs to cast functions on the stack.
112.6d An object's ability that restricts or modifies how that particular object can be played or cast functions in any zone from which it could be played or cast.
112.6e An object's ability that restricts or modifies what zones that particular object can be played or cast from functions everywhere, even outside the game.
112.6f An object's ability that states it can't be countered or can't be countered by spells and abilities functions on the stack.
112.6g An object's ability that modifies how that particular object enters the battlefield functions as that object is entering the battlefield. See rule 614.12.
112.6h An object's activated ability that has a cost that can't be paid while the object is on the battlefield functions from any zone in which its cost can be paid.
112.6i A trigger condition that can't trigger from the battlefield functions in all zones it can trigger from. Other trigger conditions of the same triggered ability may function in different zones.Example: Absolver Thrull has the ability "When Absolver Thrull enters the battlefield or the creature it haunts is put into a graveyard, destroy target enchantment." The first trigger condition functions from the battlefield and the second trigger condition functions from the exile zone. (See rule 702.52, "Haunt.")
112.6j An ability whose cost or effect specifies that it moves the object it's on out of a particular zone functions only in that zone, unless that ability's trigger condition, or a previous part of that ability's cost or effect, specifies that the object is put into that zone.Example: Necrosavant says "{3}{B}{B}, Sacrifice a creature: Return Necrosavant from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only during your upkeep." A player may activate this ability only if Necrosavant is in his or her graveyard.
112.6k An ability that modifies the rules for deck construction functions before the game begins. Such an ability modifies not just the Comprehensive Rules, but also the _Magic: The Gathering_ Tournament Rules and any other documents that set the deck construction rules for a specific Constructed format. However, such an ability can't affect the format legality of a card, including whether it's banned or restricted. The current _Magic: The Gathering_ Tournament Rules can be found at <www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Events.aspx?x=...>.
112.6m Abilities of emblems, plane cards, vanguard cards, and scheme cards function in the command zone. See rule 113, "Emblems"; rule 901, "Planar Magic"; rule 902, "Vanguard"; and rule 904, "Archenemy."

It would be really tedious if they always had to mention the battlefield. Glorious Anthem would say "For as long as Glorious Anthem is on the battlefield, creatures you control get +1/+1. Llanowar Elves would say ": add to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if Llanowar Elves is on the battlefield". Indeed, almost every non-instant non-sorcery would need that clause tacked on to it. So instead, they make it the default.
Another question is this: here's the example:
Venser is on the battlefield.
Phyrexian Revoker is played and reolves: a card is named.
Phyrexian Revoker is exiled by Venser, and enters the battlefiend at the begining of your endstep: a different card is named.

Now since PR is on the battlefield, are the activated abilities of both cards you've named so far prevented?

No. Any time a card changes zones, it "forgets" its previous existence. The new Phyrexian Revoker has only named one card: the second card. 
400.7. An object that moves from one zone to another becomes a new object with no memory of, or relation to, its previous existence. There are six exceptions to this rule:
Irrelevant Exceptions

400.7a Effects from spells, activated abilities, and triggered abilities that change the characteristics of a permanent spell on the stack continue to apply to the permanent that spell becomes.
400.7b Prevention effects that apply to damage from a permanent spell on the stack continue to apply to damage from the permanent that spell becomes.
400.7c If an ability of a permanent requires information about choices made as that permanent was cast as a spell, including what mana was spent to cast that spell, it uses information about the spell that became that permanent as it resolved.
400.7d Abilities that trigger when an object moves from one zone to another (for example, "When Rancor is put into a graveyard from the battlefield") can find the new object that it became in the zone it moved to when the ability triggered, if that zone is a public zone.
400.7e Abilities of Auras that trigger when the enchanted permanent leaves the battlefield can find the new object that Aura became in its owner's graveyard if it was put into that graveyard at the same time the enchanted permanent left the battlefield. It can also find the new object that Aura became in its owner's graveyard as a result of being put there as a state-based action for not being attached to a permanent. (See rule 704.5n.)
400.7f If an effect grants a nonland card an ability that allows it to be cast, that ability will continue to apply to the new object that card became after it moved to the stack as a result of being cast this way.

Sign In to post comments