[WoA] The Pit

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

I am really confused about the intended mechanics of the Pit Hazard.

As far as I can see Two things happen when you draw The Pit Hazard Encounter Card:

- Attack each Hero on the active Hero's tile.

There are clear rules on the card on how to resolve the effects of this, which involve moving the Hero to the Pit card and having them roll at the start of their Hero Phase to escape and return to the Pit's tile.

- Place the Pit token on the active Hero's tile.

Unfortunately the text on this token is less than clear. It states "Any hero on this hazard's tile falls into a deep pit and cannot move. Escape: Roll 10+".

It does not say when to check whether a Hero is on the token's tile. When they move onto the tile? When they begin or end their Hero Phase? The lack of timing would suggest that it is in effect whenever you are on the tile. The problem with that is that is would then be inescapable; if you are on the tile you can't move and there is no provision on the token to get off the tile.

It also does not say when to roll for escape and more importantly it doesn't state what you accomplish by escaping. To escape the token's effect you would have to get off of the token's tile but there is nothing to indicate how you would do that.

Am I missing something?

As I see it right now, changing the token's text to "Any Hero that enter's this hazard's tile or begins his or her Hero Phase there cannot move until they escape the pit. Instead of attacking, the Hero can attempt to escape the pit. Escape the pit: Roll 10+." is the best way to address the issue. If you incorporate the Immobilized condition from CR you could simplify the wording  a bit by applying that and then removing it with a roll of 10+.
You are missing something!

Printed on the Pit card:

If a Hero is on this card at the start of his or her Hero Phase, roll a die.  On a 10+, place that Hero on the Pit's tile.  Otherwise, the Hero skips his or her Hero Phase.

What happens while you are in there and when you escape is all covered by the FAQ on the back page.

As far as attacking anyone who enters the tile, I find that pretty draconian.  I think you're just supposed to treat it like a Trap and activate it during your Villain Phase.  If anyone happens to be on the tile at that time, THEN you attack them.  It's a pretty nasty hazard even so.

As I see it, the only reason it's a Hazard and not a Trap is so you can't diisarm it.
If your position is that the official rules don't matter, or that house rules can fix everything, please don't bother posting in forums about the official rules. To do so is a waste of everyone's time.

You are right, my friend. I was missing something. It is clearly spelled out in the Rulebook that Hazards activate during the Villain Phase like Monsters do.

The presence of text on the Trap cards specifically directing you to trigger them and the lack of similar text on the Hazards may have led me astray.

I will say that the text on the Pit marker should be more clear. The markers for Traps that attack clearly indicate the attack while the Pit marker just says "Any Hero on this Hazard's tile falls into a deep pit and cannot move" rather than repeating the attack from the card. This is particularly confusing because the Cave In Hazard shows us that a marker can have a completely different effect than its card. It is also conceptually odd for a pit to attack on a schedule rather than be a persistent Hazard like the Volcanic vapors and the Cave In.

I still do not understand ....

According to the FAQ on the rulebook: If a Hero falls into the Pit.... 
but:
WHEN it falls in the pit? 
When he or she moves onto the tile or when (like a trap) the hero who controls the card attack according to the rules on it? In case of fall, the hero loses always two hp?
The attack on Cave In only happens once then the card is discarded (as per the instructions on the bottom of the card itself); the marker remains in play. Conceptually the card is the rocks falling on you, then the marker represents the now hindering terrain caused by the rubble.

Volcanic vapours doesn't actually attack so the card isn't really necessary to keep; the marker clearly says what happens (if you start or move onto this tile you're poisoned). Having it activate is pointless, the only reason you would keep the card is so that it doesn't get shuffled back in (though cave in does..)

As for the pit, again conceptually it makes sense that initially when you fall in you take (fall) damage; if the trap missed you don't take the damage and aren't out of play on the card. The token itself clearly says "any hero on this hazard's tile falls into the deep pit and cannot move."

The card would activate on the turn of whoever played it, just like a monster or trap; anyone on the tile would be attacked. Except anyone on the tile would fall in, so there shouldn't ever be anyone there. Now, just to make it slightly confusing if you make the 10+ escape roll you "place [the] hero on the Pit's tile" ... and fall back in? (It seems more like the marker should only be in the 4 actual squares of the marker, otherwise you get a bit of a loop).

The way my group plays it is simply if you don't immediately move away from the pit you fall back in (which has actually been used to avoid some other dangers; the pit is a surprisingly safe non-place). 
The question is about the Hazard Pit, not the Cave in. Smile 
As for the pit, again conceptually it makes sense that initially when you fall in you take (fall) damage; if the trap missed you don't take the damage and aren't out of play on the card. The token itself clearly says "any hero on this hazard's tile falls into the deep pit and cannot move."

The card would activate on the turn of whoever played it, just like a monster or trap; anyone on the tile would be attacked. Except anyone on the tile would fall in, so there shouldn't ever be anyone there. Now, just to make it slightly confusing if you make the 10+ escape roll you "place [the] hero on the Pit's tile" ... and fall back in? (It seems more like the marker should only be in the 4 actual squares of the marker, otherwise you get a bit of a loop).

The way my group plays it is simply if you don't immediately move away from the pit you fall back in (which has actually been used to avoid some other dangers; the pit is a surprisingly safe non-place). 

If that helps
Embarassed thanks!
Hi everyone,

I just got this game for my 11 year old son who loves dungeon crawl games as much as I do. I played it with him and his 8 year old brother and when we uncovered the pit we had a monster enter that field. So what now? We all decided that it doesn't make sense that the monster should be automatically safe. It is a pit after all. So the monster had to roll, fell into the pit, received 2 HP and died. We all cheered and the proceeded to lure the Legion Devils into the pit as well.

Needless to say we won that round. But hey, it did make sense, didn't it? Cool
Traps and Hazards don't affect monsters.

Bummer

Bummer

Here's how I understand it, and I think it jives with what everyone says.

-Player 1 draws the Pit tile

-Tile effects immediately for everyone on the entire tile (maybe you fall in, maybe you dont)

-If someone is "in" the pit at the start of his Hero phase, he rolls to get back out.  Assuming he gets out, he can stand on any square on that same tile.  He does not immediately fall back in because (A) he can still move this round, so he can move to a different tile, and (B), the tile doesn't activate until the Villain phase of the person who drew it.

-So, if the player climbs out, and decides not to move anywhere, it's possible he will fall back in, but not immediatly since he has to wait for some other player's turn (unless the trap belongs to him and it's now his villain phase) 

Bummer

I'm a big believer in house rules.  If that's how you like to play, have at it Laughing