[WoA] Painted WoA figures?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I just bought WoA and I love it. BUT ..... the one thing that really dissapointed me was the fact that the figures were not painted. I knew that werent prior to me purchasing the game, but it still bothered me none the less.

Has anyone attempted to paint the figures? If you have, what paints would work best with this plastic?

I'm all about getting into the story and I think it would be nice if the figrues that are being represented by the minis were a little more ... colorful. =]

Please let me know if anyone has done this before!
I just acquired WoA and started painting the miniatures over the weekend. As to which paints are best...I couldn't say which are best but there is a variety out there from the miniature specific Reaper and Citadel paints to the more general craft acrylics like apple barrel and Delta Ceramcoat.  I use a mix of different brands but tend toward the craft acrylics.

Having unpainted minis in Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon was a plus for me.  I hadn't painted minis since I was a kid and having them come in these games unpainted has reconnected me with a treasured hobby. So I view it as an opportunity for more fun. Smile

Edit:
Here's a modest effort at painting Ashardalon. 

Poe's Law (the Gamer version): Without a winking smileyWink or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of nerdrage that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.
I'm just replacing them with their D&D mini  counter part,  since I can't paint  that good.
I'm just replacing them with their D&D mini  counter part,  since I can't paint  that good.

I dont play the miniatures game for dnd, I just recently pickd up WoA bc it looked cool =]

Is there a mini from the miniatures game for each mini in WoA? If yes, can you buy them sepereatley / where can you do that?
All the WoA and Castle Ravenloft minis are re-casts of older D&D sculpts.  www.wizards.com/DnD/Archive.aspx?categor... is the list of galleries, and various resellers on the web, eBay etc sell individual minis from the sets.  Troll and Toad is probably a good place to begin looking.

However, you're probably better off painting them yourself if you have even the slightest ability with a paintbrush - the WotC paintwork, particularly on smaller critters, is often not of high quality.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Bear in mind of course that the sculpts are mostly taken from sets that have been out of print for a long time, and some of the individual minis are highly sought after.  The red dragon mini is going for about $60 on ebay right now, the otyugh is about $20.  Painting the minis is certainly the more cost-effective choice.
I shopped around and replaced all the minis (heroes, monsters, villians) except Ashardalon and the Rage Drake with their official D&D miniature counterparts for about $45 total. 

Since the Half-Orc Rogue is an unpublished figure, I used the Half-Orc Assassin instead.

I considered swapping the Elder Red Dragon for the Huge Red Dragon because techincally the art for Ashardalon from the Draconomicon was the basis for the sculp used for the Elder.  Its still expense though, about half the price of the Huge.  For now having the non-painted Ashardalon and Drake are fine, since the are red anyways :-)

I have to say having the painted figures, even at the extra cost, brings a whole new world of enjoyment to the game.  There is just something about seeing a detailed jibbering mouther threatening your figure vs the red unpainted blob that can't be cleary described.  My wife even became interested after seeing us playing with the painted minis.

Sadly if I had the talent I would have painted them instead... but that is not may area of skill.  The enjoyment and satisfaction of seeing nice looking figures compared to the horrors I created in the past (I tried painting Runebound mini's once... once) is competely worth the extra cost for me.

Regardless, if buy existing minis (Google dungeons and dragons miniatures singles) or have the skill and patience to paint yourself... I highly recommend it, for my group it increased the enjoyment drastically.
When you painted Arshardalon, did you prime it first or just paint on to the red plastic? I'm planning on painting mine but I wasn't sure if I should prime the models first.
When you painted Arshardalon, did you prime it first or just paint on to the red plastic? I'm planning on painting mine but I wasn't sure if I should prime the models first.

I primed it first...I used black so that I didn't have to paint the base.
Poe's Law (the Gamer version): Without a winking smileyWink or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of nerdrage that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

Thanks!

Edit: I painted a bunch of the figures today. I usually work from a black primer, and that turned out to be the best course of action since as JL pointed out, it saves the trouble of painting the bases. I used existing minis as a painting guide and completed the kobolds, duergar, grells, dire bears, the otyugh and gibbering mouthers. They came out pretty comparable if not better than the pre-painted minis. This is definitely a worthwhile endeavor.You can paint them fairly quick and to a decent gaming standard.

I'm thinking of getting Castle Ravenloft just to paint the minis and add them to my gaming collection.

Sign In to post comments