Mono Black- Tribal Vampire Bloodchiefs

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

I am posting my first of many Commander (EDH) decks. Black is by far my favorite color, and theme decks are my favorite style of play. The vampire creature type shows up in almost every mono-black deck I have looked at on the forum, and I had all four Bloodchief cards, so it was easy to decide how I would go.

Basically the strategy is to keep my opponents creatures in check long enough to get out my Blood Tribute/Sanguine Bond/Wound Reflection combo to finish them off. The only weakness, like any mono-black, is artifact and enchantment destruction.

As this is my first post, hopefully I entered the cards correctly, and any critique is appreciated (but please be nice).

GENERAL

1x Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief

CREATURES

1x Guul Draz Assassin
1x Child of Night
1x Bloodghast
1x Gatekeeper of Malakir
1x Kalastria Highborn
1x Vampire Hexmage
1x Bloodhusk Ritualist
1x Bloodrite Invoker
1x Nirkana Cutthroat
1x Captivating Vampire
1x Vampire Nighthawk
1x Mirri the Cursed
1x Sangromancer
1x Vampire Nocturnus
1x Cairn Wanderer
1x Magus of the Coffers
1x Anowon, the Ruin Sage
1x Krovikan Vampire
1x Malakir Bloodwitch
1x Soul Collector
1x Ascendant Evincar
1x Mephidross Vampire
1x Nirkana Revenant
1x Butcher of Malakir
1x Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet

PLANESWALKERS

1x Liliana Vess
1x Sorin Markov

ENCHANTMENTS

1x Bloodchief Ascension
1x Dark Tutelage
1x Phyrexian Arena
1x Necropotence
1x Black Market
1x Sanguine Bond
1x Wound Reflection

SORCERIES

1x Demonic Tutor
1x Drain Life
1x Consume Spirit
1x Black Sun's Zenith
1x Exsanguinate
1x Profane Command
1x Feast of Blood
1x Consuming Vapors
1x Mutilate
1x Diabolic Tutor
1x Temporal Extortion
1x Corrupt
1x Blood Tribute

INSTANTS

1x Suffer the Past
1x Urge to Feed
1x Tendrils of Corruption

ARTIFACTS

1x Everflowing Chalice
1x Blade of the Bloodchief
1x Expedition Map
1x Sol Ring
1x Journeyer's Kite
1x Lightning Greaves
1x Extraplanar Lens
1x Loxodon Warhammer
1x Sword of Vengeance
1x Thran Dynamo
1x Venser's Journal

LANDS
1x Cabal Coffers
1x Vesuva
1x Leechridden Swamp
35x Swamp

I'd add urborg, tomb of yawgmoth.  then I'd switch the places of drana and anowon, cause anowon is just meaner.

If I had a tomb it would be in there, but I do not and I have looked at buying one, but usually it is to high priced for my magic budget. I am on the lookout for higher priced cards for trade instead if possible.

Anowon is a mean SOB but his ability is limited to the upkeep phase, so once cast I would have to wait until everybody sees him around the table before even using his ability. Drana I can cast and still possibly use her right away if mana is available to me. So I think given those circumstances Drana is a slightly better commander, because chances are that somebody is not going to agree to sacrifice a non-vampire creature every time my upkeep comes around.

Thanks for looking man! Do you have any mono-tribal decks?

some good artifacts to add
gauntlet of power
nightmare lash
strata scythe

No gauntlet or scythe in my collection as of yet, but I do have the lash. Never hurts to try, and it might be better than the sword of vengence. thanks for the advice!
I really like your list.  I am new to EDH and was looking for a fun but simple deck and this seems perfect.  I have a quick question though: does Extraplanar Lens work with Swamps?
yeah, why wouldn't it?

Someone else in another thread recommended using Extraplanar and to change all swamps to snow covered swamps.  I was led to believe from the comment that swamps wouldn't work with the lens but the snow-covered ones would.
yeah, why wouldn't it?

Someone else in another thread recommended using Extraplanar and to change all swamps to snow covered swamps.  I was led to believe from the comment that swamps wouldn't work with the lens but the snow-covered ones would.

They probably said that because Extraplanar Lens works on ALL Swamps.  Therefore if you're playing another deck with black it will help them too.  If you use snow covered swamps, then only people who have snow covered swamps would get the bonus.
yeah, why wouldn't it?

They probably said that because Extraplanar Lens works on ALL Swamps.  Therefore if you're playing another deck with black it will help them too.  If you use snow covered swamps, then only people who have snow covered swamps would get the bonus.

Which sadly is more numerous than normal swamps. I would run normal swamps over snow-covered, just for the fact that there are so many people running snow-covered to avoid giving planes' effect to others.
Thanks for looking man! Do you have any mono-tribal decks?

Not much on tribal myself. Though I run Geth in as my monoblack general for the same reasons you run Drana over Anowan- you can use the ability immediately.

3DH4LIF3

yeah, why wouldn't it?

That makes sense now.  Thanks for the clarification.
I replaced the Sword of Vengeance with Nightmare Lash and added a Subterranean Hangar taking out a Swamp.