[WoA] Long Hallway

13 posts / 0 new
Last post

The Long Hallway states "draw an extra tile and place it on the Long Hallway's unexplored edge (if possible). If the extra tile features a black triangle, draw an encounter card during your Villain Phase.”

This brings up several questions for me:

Which of the Long Hallway and extra tile do you place a Monster on? One or the other or both?

It is clear that if the extra tile has a black triangle you draw an Encounter Card during your Villain phase. What if the Long Hallway has a black triangle as well? Do you draw two Encounter cards?

When you place the Long Hallway, you draw a monster as normal, then follow the text on the tile and drawn another tile and place it (if possible, or course) and then draw a monster and place on that tile too.

There are only two long hallway tiles, both are white triangles.  So you would only ever draw an Encounter if the second tile was a black triangle.
One of my (two) Long Hallways has a black triangle.  Did my game mutate during shipping?  Tongue out

By default, monster placement only happens as step 3 of the Exploration Phase, and that step refers only to the tile you drew during step 2 of the Exploration Phase.  Unless some other rule tells you to place more monsters, you don't.

When you place an extra tile after a Long Hallway comes up, no part of that process tells you to add a monster.  (So you don't.)

On the other hand, there IS a rule that tells you to draw an Encounter Card if you get a black triangle on the extra tile.  So I think yes, you could conceivably be forced to draw two Encounters.
If your position is that the official rules don't matter, or that house rules can fix everything, please don't bother posting in forums about the official rules. To do so is a waste of everyone's time.
You are correct, one white and one black triangle...

I disagree on the monster placement, the rules just state place a monster on the new tile.  So you would place a monster on both tiles in this instance since both are "new."

Technically its another vague area needing errata so playing with placing one or two (or three, another Long Hallway drawn) monsters can be be correct depending on your interpretation.

Same as how going by the rules would mean you only ever draw 1 Encounter regardless of how may tiles you placed with black triangles. 

Luckily in this instance Long Hallway clearly states to draw another Encounter card if the new tile has a black triangle.

I just hope they post a FAQ or Errata online without people having to wait and buy Legend of Drizzt just to get more rules clarifications.

I agree with Andrelai that by rule you would not place a monster on the extra tile as there is nothing in the rules or on the Long Hallway text that says you do. Compare this to the sentry monsters where the tile they place has text specifically directing you to place a monster on it.

As for encounter cards, when Jigglypuffaroth states

“Same as how going by the rules would mean you only ever draw 1 Encounter regardless of how may tiles you placed with black triangles. Luckily in this instance Long Hallway clearly states to draw another Encounter card if the new tile has a black triangle.”

I agree with the first sentiment but not the second one. The text for the Long Hallway says to draw an card during your Villain phase – it does NOT say “draw an EXTRA Encounter card during your Villain phase.”

In any case, the rules are unclear and could possibly be interpreted to result in two monsters AND two Encounter cards, which would be really harsh.

My first impression of Long Hallway was that the intent was to place a monster in the extra tile and not in the hallway – that the Hallway was a way to put separation between the monsters and the Heroes by having the tile you place be further away. I think I still like that interpretation best despite there being no rules support for it.

I like the game and hate to complain but there seem to a LOT of features in Wrath of Ashardalon that are poorly defined and result in odd or multiple interpretations. The design does not seem to be very tight, which would seem to be key for a board game. I too would like to see some clarifying information in the FAQ or outright errata.

I agree, roonechr! Clarifications would be great. Thankfully I'm having too much fun with WoA to be too bothered though. :P

I did initially draw two cards and place two monsters when playing my first solo adventure, and my hero died a brutal death indeed.

So now I've been playing long hallways by drawing a monster card for each tile, but only ever one encounter card... except if you have the curse that explicitly makes you draw two.

I struggled with whether to put a monster in the hallway, the extra tile, or both, and decided to do both since I couldn't think of any other situation where a new tile wouldn't have a monster on it (and because it doesn't explicitly tell you not to).

(edited to fix incorrect reference)
Regadless of how you choose to interpret placing two monsters or not, the rules are prretty direct on drawing an encounter.

The rules (pg.6) state "If the extra tile features a black triangle, draw an Encounter Card during your Villain Phase."
 "If the extra tile features a black triangle, draw an Encounter Card during your Villain Phase."

What is NOT clear is what to do if the Long Hallway has a black triangle AND the extra tile has one. Do you draw one Encounter card or two?

You could interpret it as you draw one Encounter Card for the Long Hallway as normal and one for the extra tile because of the Long Hallway text.

You also could interpret that drawing one Encounter Card satisfies the step in the Villain phase for placing the Long hallway as well as the text on t card since the text does not say "extra Encounter Card" (whereas the Curse explicitly does).
What I find odd is how the long hallway effectively defeats the purpose of Sentry monsters, while i think that'd be the most thematic place to have to chase them down in.
I got an answer from WotC Customer Service about how to handle the Long Hallway tile:

Question: 1.) When you draw a Long Hallway tile (WoA Rulebook, p. 6), do you place a total of two Monsters? (One on the Long Hallway tile, and one on the extra tile?) Or do you only place one Monster? 1a.) If you only place one Monster, do you choose which tile to place it on, or does it always go on one particular tile?

Answer: You place one monster on each tile.

Question: 2.) When you draw a Long Hallway tile with a black triangle, and the extra tile also has a black triangle, how many Encounter cards do you draw? Do you draw a total of two Encounter cards, one for each black triangle? Or do you only draw a single Encounter card?

Answer: Two. One for each black triangle. 

As with any answer from Customer Service, the game designers might have intended that it be played another way entirely. Still, it was nice to get an answer so quickly. 
Two monsters and two encounters - Brutal!

Turns out that drawing two encounter cards is incorrect, according to the official FAQ that just surfaced.

1. Do you draw a 2nd tile with Long Hallway, do you draw a 2nd Encounter card?

You draw only one Encounter card if both the Long Hallway and the revealed tile have a black triangle.

(Found at wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/...)

Thanks to Jigglypuffaroth for posting link to the FAQ in another thread!

Turns out that drawing two encounter cards is incorrect, according to the official FAQ that just surfaced.

1. Do you draw a 2nd tile with Long Hallway, do you draw a 2nd Encounter card?

You draw only one Encounter card if both the Long Hallway and the revealed tile have a black triangle.

I asked Customer Service a follow-up question about monsters, and got the following response:

The Wrath of Ashardalon FAQ states that you only draw one Encounter card if both the Long Hallway and the revealed tile have a black triangle. However, neither the rules nor the FAQ explain how many monsters you place. Do you place one or two?

You would follow the standard rules regarding when monsters are placed and place a monster on each tile -one for the long hallway and one for the revealed tile.

So, this would indicate a complete reversal of the first Customer Service response that was offered.

Unless there is further clarification, I think we will play one encounter card and two monsters.