Dungeon 187 - Dark Sun Threats: New Dangers in a Dangerous Land

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.pngDungeon 187
Dark Sun Threats: New Dangers in a Dangerous Land

by Bruce R. Cordell

On Athas, survival depends on being crueler, faster, and hungrier than others.

Talk about this Article here.

I like the idea of more monsters and more powers for monsters.

Some of the creatures seemed a little redundant, but overall, I give it a big thumbs up for some crunch.

"What is the sort of thing that I do care about is a failure to seriously evaluate what does and doesn't work in favor of a sort of cargo cult posturing. And yes, it's painful to read design notes columns that are all just "So D&D 3.5 sort of had these problems. We know people have some issues with them. What a puzzler! But we think we have a solution in the form of X", where X is sort of a half-baked version of an idea that 4e executed perfectly well and which worked fine." - Lesp

easily my favorite article of the month, the more monsters w updated damage the better
What kind of creature is the guy on the front page supposed to be? Does defiling mutate you like that?
What kind of creature is the guy on the front page supposed to be? Does defiling mutate you like that?

It's art of a bounty hunter from Gamma World: Legion of Gold.
I love the idea of monster themes.

My desire would be that they finally code Monster "themes" in the new online monster builder.  Monster themes have been around since DMG2 but WoTC hasn't added them to the Online Compendium.  

Yeah, its ridiculous that monster themes have not yet been implemented. It seems a relatively easy thing to code into the builder. With the new, online version of MB coming out soon there's a perfect opportunity to fix this omission. Lets see what happens.
I loved this article (big dark sun fan!) and I hope wotc can keep up a regular stream of new monster designs. DM's never have enough monsters, never.
Very solid article again and lots and lots of useful crunch. Finally. You can NEVER have enough stat blocks and monsters as a DM. Plus monster themes are just plain awesome.