02/25/2010 LD: "Mirran Meddling"

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Will Mike Turian being making an article about what he did to the Phyrexian half?
Why does the promo Signal Pest look like it should be a Phyrexian card?  The set art identifies it clearly as a Mirran card, made entirely of metal and a rather nifty look.  But this one has teeth and what looks like skin, which is a Phyrexian artifact trait.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
re: the poll.

I can't believe we haven't been doing it that way all along. 
I always like this kind of article. Definitely seconding wanting to see a Phyrexian counterpart.
blah blah metal lyrics
What a fun article. I really like getting to see the creative process behind the scenes. The alternate art for signal pest does look phyrexian, but I like it!
I just noticed that Signal Pest has the creature type "pest".  The only other time we've seen cpests is in the output of Nuisance Engine, which just happens to make 0/1 tokens.

That was a nice touch. 
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm
I just noticed that Signal Pest has the creature type "pest".  The only other time we've seen cpests is in the output of Nuisance Engine, which just happens to make 0/1 tokens.

That was a nice touch. 

I would say that they might have made the Myr stronger than they wanted them to be so they wanted another "cute little robot" race, but considering the two Pest cards they're already off to a hell of a start.
I dislike the rule of goes-to-graveyard triggers belong to the Phyrexians. Sacrificing artifacts for profit and bring them back again is a signature mechanic from artifact decks, and without it the Mirrans are left with an entire direction of deckbuilding off. Considering that counter manipulation was handled to the Phyrexians too despite it made much more sense for Mirrans, what was left for Mirrans are simple themes without depth. Maybe it was deliberate in order to set who would win the war but even, then it shows how bad of an idea is to let Vorthos enter to the process of making cards.
If Limited gets in the way of printing good Constructed cards... Screw limited
it shows how bad of an idea is to let Vorthos enter to the process of making cards.

It worked alright for Shivan Dragon.
"We will all be purified in Wurm. What is good will be used to heal Wurm, or grow Wurm, or to fuel Wurm's path. What is vile will be extruded, and we will be free of it forever." --Prophet of the Cult of Wurm
it shows how bad of an idea is to let Vorthos enter to the process of making cards.

You couldn't find an example from the past fifteen years, I take it.

It worked alright for Protean Hydra.

It worked alright for Protean Hydra.

...better.
What is the new drafting rule about?  I've been out the the loop ....
What is the new drafting rule about?  I've been out the the loop ....

The newest set is now drafted first.

So, instead of drafting SoM, SoM, MBS you now draft MBS, SoM, SoM. 
Purvis is the truth.
I love the new drafting order in general, but for MBS, I get the feeling that it was made with the older drafting order in mind.

I'm guessing that the intent was to shift the environment by changing the avialability of enabler cards like Ichor Wellspring for metalcraft or sacrifice decks, or even Copper Carapace, a common that can work with Bloodshot Trainee, rather than introduce new draft theme cards (such as Furnace Celebration or Hand of the Praetors from SoM) in the second set.

Based on the old draft order, it makes a lot of sense to do it that way instead of putting in specific draft-theme cards; I was always sad that I couldn't successfully build a Sigil of the Empty Throne deck because the card appeared in the second pack of the block.

The timing of the draft order change may have backfired, since I often feel during the Besieged pack that I get to see a lot of potent enabler cards, without knowing what build-around-me cards I would get in the SoM packs.

But I definitely like what it does for White infect. I think that although a WB or WG infect deck is harder to draft that BG, being only in one pack out of three, I think it's still doable, and it may have been much more difficult to draft it (without blindly forcing it), if it wasn't for the new pack order.

I guess Kuldotha Rebirth would get better after picking up War Cry creatures and Ichor Wellsprings. I hope there are many sleeper hits like that in the big set.

It's true that there is a bit of anti-climax feeling when I finish the first pack and feel "now the newest, most exciting part is over (of the drafting portion, that is; not of the whole draft tournament)." But for me, being able to build and play new deck types based on the new set themes trumps the "save the best for last" psychology concerns.

I'm looking foward to future drafts where I experience the equivalent of, say, picking up a Tribal Warrior Lord from Morningtide and it makes me look at all the familiar Lowryn cards in a new light. (Although actually I haven't tried that block with the new order yet.)

Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
Sign In to post comments