02/24/2011 FtL: "Rootin' for the Home Team"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I adore the combo deck at the end of the article, gonna go build a version now 8)

The Paradox Haze deck is pretty cool. I like it.

I'm also really happy to see a deck with Shimmer Myr, my definite favorite card out of Besieged.
The Over-Welder deck looks pretty cool.  I also like the Myr deck.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Myr Welder deck is my favorite.  Seems like its needs a bit more protection/removal though.  Not a lot you can do once they ditch the welder...

first thought is to go U/B with it.  Mire's Troll or Inquisition of Kozilek for early/spot removal, or mid game to target yourself and put that triskelion into the graveyard. 
With the Over-Welder deck, why not save yourself a few turns and use Blue Sun's Zenith as your kill spell instead? That way it's just a 4 card combo (Welder, Soliton, Gem, and Zenith) that doesn't get stopped if they have a potential blocker. 
With the Over-Welder deck, why not save yourself a few turns and use Blue Sun's Zenith as your kill spell instead? That way it's just a 4 card combo (Welder, Soliton, Gem, and Zenith) that doesn't get stopped if they have a potential blocker. 

Well, Triskelion just deals the damage directly, so blockers don't matter. I do like the inclusion of Blue Sun's Zenith though.

Ok I have a little question on the over-welder deck once i tap the welder to copy soliton's ability wouldn't the welder have an ability saying (blue): Untap Soliton, and he is not soliton ... ?
I believe in the rulings for Myr Welder and Necrotic Ooze it says that all instances of another card name in the activated ability is switched to the copier's name. Example: The ability, once imprinted on Myr Welder, will read [u]: Untap Myr Welder. I believe this is how it works for I read it somewhere on the website or forums.
On the topic of Treasure Mage: Hello planeswalkers. Look at your hand, now back to me, now back to your hand, now back to me. Sadly, your hand doesn't have a big game-winning bomb in it, but if you searched through your library for an artifact with converted mana cost of 6 or greater, you could get one. Look down, now back up, shuffle your library. Where are you? You're in a Magic game, and you're losing. What's that in your hand? It's a Wurmcoil Engine. Look again, the Wurmcoil Engine is now a ticket to Nagoya. Anything is possible when you cast Treasure Mage. I'm on a dragon. Currently Playing: U/R Burning Vengeance Control 10-2 http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-burning-vengeance-2/
You are right my friend, now I like the idea of removing a lux cannon with the welder then you can destroy an infinite amount of permanents : D 
Yup, that works.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
I just realized Strider Harness might be a good fit for Over-Welder because it enables you to go off the turn you play the Welder, instead of waiting for the next turn.

Loot and control until you have:
1. Soliton and Khalni Gem in your GY
2. Strider Harness in play
3. Myr Welder and Blue Sun's Zenith in hand.
4. Six blue mana open

Use 3 mana to play Myr Welder.
Use 1 mana to attach Strider Harness.
Tap the Welder to exile Soliton
Use 1 mana to use Soliton ability to untap.
Tap again to exile Khalni Gem.
Use 1 mana to untap again and combo out to cast a lethal BSZ.

I'm building a Galvanoth deck myself, trying my best to stay away from blue for once. Sad to see you succumbed ;)

Anyway, great read, and great to see that you are as excited about Galvanoth and Shimmer Myr as I am!
Photobucket
The Over-Welder combo can be achieved with Necrotic Ooze instead of Myr Welder and Vedalken Engineer instead of Khalni Gem. I might make that deck.
Ymtc: Idol Round 3
57681748 wrote:
Assassination Plot Sorcery Conspire Target player who asked too many questions this turn sacrifices a creature. (Too many is one more than the number of spells cast.) "Now where do we put the bo-" Ramses Overdark, last words
56287226 wrote:
Awesome wording here, and the addition of conspire is inspired. Very nice.
I don't think that would work. As I see it, you can't use Vedalken Engineer ability's mana to use the Soliton's ability to untap Necrotic Ooze, since Necrotic Ooze isn't an artifact. Liquimetal Coating would solve that problem, though.

Also, You can't use Blue Sun's Zenith, which I really do like a lot more than the Triskelion/Steel Overseer thing.