02/24/2011 TD: "Extended Besieged!"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Mike Flores seems to have found a way to buy stock in an Extended deck archetype, because that's the only explanation for his fairy obsession.

That or a violent compulsion to keep Tinkerbell alive. 
So why doesn't that last Mirran Crusader deck play a Sword of Feast and Famine? Or at least a Sword of Body and Mind, if being an all-creature deck means not having a huge need for the untap ability.
How about Sword of Feast and Famine on a Phyrexian Crusader? Protection from 4 colors seems incredibly useful to me.
While Sword of Feast and Famine is better overall since it gives protection to some pretty common removal and untapping your lands is always good, Sword of Body and Mind can be more useful at times.  It gives you free creatures that you can defend yourself with and slicing away 1/6th of your opponent's deck (not counting all the cards already drawn) shouldn't be overlooked.  Chances are high that you will land something your opponent needs in the graveyard even if they have multiple copies of cards in their deck.  Also, the abilities of Sword of B&M are useful all the time whereas the discard ability of Sword of F&F is useless after a few turns.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I have to agree with Torleep that Sword of FF on a Phyrexian Crusader is a powerhouse. But this might prove the overall point that Sword of BM is better. Specific applications of Sword of FF are bloody useful and can be game winners given the right situation. But it runs out of steam quickly due to certain limits that can only be overcome through other cards. That being the number of cards in hand. Your opponent quickly runs out of cards to discard and you quickly run out of cards to play with all of that untapped land. Most likely, hand size is probably around four cards by the time the sword is out and equipped. Unless you have lots of card draw and unlimited hand or your opponent does, this sword burns out fast.

But with Sword of BM, when they run out of cards in their library, you win the game. And that pack of wolves doesn't hit a ceiling other than your opponent's creatures and life total, which they vigorously attack. If it's early in the game, you're likely to have an edge in the sword powering up a creature to hack through the opponent's ranks. And those wolves will be hella useful. The milling of cards may have a long way to win, but if you dominate quickly, that sixth turn will come soon, if they're even still in the game having miraculously kept their spin down above 1. If it's later in the game, those wolves can make a cold war hot and you're more likely to have a creature that can break through the defensive line of your opponent. And milling at this point can win a game handily.

But ultimately, why choose between the two if you can have both. I would always prefer Sword of BM, but having FF around for special applications is a good idea. BM is the machete, FF the scalpel. K bye.
I've only skimmed the article so far, but wasn't Mike supposed to say whether he supported the Mirrans or the Phyrexians? I guess we can assume Mirrans, since every card he spotlighted except for Flayer Husk was Mirran?
I've only skimmed the article so far, but wasn't Mike supposed to say whether he supported the Mirrans or the Phyrexians? I guess we can assume Mirrans, since every card he spotlighted except for Flayer Husk was Mirran?

The article cover on the main page didn't have the "Pick a Side Week" logo on the bottom of it so his article wasn't one for picking one side or the other.  Not every article in a theme week deals with the theme, although most do.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I did a double take when I saw that Kuldotha Red deck that took first place. I think it's a sign that a deck is really really good when a completely standard maindeck can be played in extended to first place. 
I agree that the red deck looks pretty good.  Don't expect Knights vs Dragons to even be close. The event decks were made for FNM while the duel decks are specifically meant to be played against each other.

I did a double take when I saw that Kuldotha Red deck that took first place. I think it's a sign that a deck is really really good when a completely standard maindeck can be played in extended to first place. 

You'll see that again, seeing as Extended mainly consists of various Standard decks.
Yeah, Standard decks with at least 10 cards (for the most part and not counting lands) from outside of the time when the deck was Standard.

Even counting the duals most of them are pretty much the same. The ones that aren't are of the typical "pile of rares.dec" variety.

I said not counting lands. Oh well, I see your point, it's true that most of the decks are basically decks from Standard at one point or another.
They did say they wanted this for players to be able to use archetypes outside the typical Standard window, so we'll have to see if people are that into it once they aren't forced to play it anymore.