[WoA] Sentry Tactics

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

I am a bit confused by the tactics of the Sentry Monsters - the Duergar Guard and the Kobold Dragonshield, as follows:

-       If the Monster is adjacent to a Hero it attacks the Hero.

-       If the Monster is on a tile with no Heroes and an unexplored edge, draw a dungeon tile from the bottom of the stack and place it next to the Monster’s tile. Draw a Monster card and place its figure on that tile.

-       Otherwise, the Monster moves 1 tile toward the closest Hero.

When the Sentry Monster first acts it is likely to be on a tile with no Heroes and an unexplored edge, causing it to place a new monster. This I get. However, on subsequent turns the Sentry Monster is likely to be on a tile with at least one Hero but (if the Heroes are smart) not adjacent to a Hero. In this case, the Sentry Monster’s tactics would suggest that it take no action, as it is already on the tile of the closest Hero. It seems to me that a smart party would simply remain on the Sentry Monster’s tile but nonadjacent to it and kill it at their leisure with a ranged or area attack.

Am I missing something?

I would suggest that the tactics should be changed either so that if the Sentry Monster has a Hero on its tile it moves adjacent and attacks the Hero or moves AWAY from the Hero (in the hopes that it can alert reinforcements by being alone on a tile the next time it acts).

Well, don't forget the sentry may have a monster following him that he summoned before moving to the player's tile.  Also, the sentries (iirc) have two health and decent AC, so it'll be tough to kill it in a single turn.  Also, not every class has a ranged at-will (or will have taken one at least) and thus may have to kill it with a melee attack.

Understood, but none of that addresses the fact that after he summons a monster the sentry basically stands around waiting to die, attacking only if someone gets adjacent while otherwise doing nothing. I'm struggling to understand the intent.

I have been playing as you suggested - if a hero is on the same tile, then move adjascent and attack the hero. I agree that the alternative (doing nothing) makes no sense.
Additionally, when a Sentry places a monster it is during your Villain phase. Does the new monster act immediately during your current Villain phase or does it not act until your next Villain phase? I think by rule it should activate immediately since it is still your Villain phase and you must activate each monster you control before you end your Villain phase. However, I'm not certain of the intent.

I am still annoyed by the Sentry action mechanics. I played with my 8 year old son last night and the first monster placed was a Duergar Guard. Rather than waste actions killing him we just made sure to stay non-adjacent to him while still occupying his tile or keeping him on tiles with no unexplored edges. He followed us around all the way to the end of the game never meeting his conditions to attack or summon reinforcements. He was still alive when we met the victory conditions. It seemed quite ridiculous.
They work quite reasonably when you change

"If the monster is adjacent to a Hero, it attacks the Hero"

to

"If the monster is on the same tile as a Hero, it moves adjacent to the nearest Hero and attacks that Hero."

If this doesn't work for you, you might want to send a note to Customer Service.
If your position is that the official rules don't matter, or that house rules can fix everything, please don't bother posting in forums about the official rules. To do so is a waste of everyone's time.

Andrelai, I agree completely that I can fix the problem by changing the rules.

My goal is to first make sure I clearly understand the rules - in fact is my interpretation that the sentry just stands around doing nothing the correct interpretation of the rules as written?

Once I am confident in the rules as written I would want to understand the design intent - are they supposed to work this way or is this an oversight that justifies errata or rules changes?

These are the sorts of things that a responsible designer who wants people to enjoy their product addresses.

Heh, welcome to Wizards of the Coast.  Sloppy errors and incomplete playtesting from the moment they took over the D&D brand.

I agree with your interpretation of the rules as written.  I think the intent is more likely that the monster should attack Heroes on the same tile, hence the suggested fix.

In cases like this, I usually just discuss it with the people I play with and see how they want to play it.  As long as everyone's having fun, that's the main thing.
If your position is that the official rules don't matter, or that house rules can fix everything, please don't bother posting in forums about the official rules. To do so is a waste of everyone's time.
Amen.
There was a post on boardgamegeek by the designer if I remember correct that clarified that sentries really do as written on the card.
(If they are on the same tile as a hero but not adjacent they stand around doing nothing)
Does anyone have a link to the baordgamegeek post?  I would love a diffinitive answer rather than speculation... It seems lame if the monster just stands around...

Also, do monsters that are placed by a sentry act the round they are placed?  I say yes, but sometimes that can lead to exploration chains where one sentry places a sentry who places a long hallway that places a sentry (which happened in my game the other night).

(does it bother anyone that wizards does not maintain an official FAQ on their website like the back of the rules says they will?)

boardgamegeek.com/thread/619960/tactics-...

Peter  Lee says it the Sentries do  nothing.
Does anyone have a link to the baordgamegeek post?  I would love a diffinitive answer rather than speculation... It seems lame if the monster just stands around...

Also, do monsters that are placed by a sentry act the round they are placed?  I say yes, but sometimes that can lead to exploration chains where one sentry places a sentry who places a long hallway that places a sentry (which happened in my game the other night).

(does it bother anyone that wizards does not maintain an official FAQ on their website like the back of the rules says they will?)

1. Sentry tactic 3 moves the monster up to 1 tile towards the nearest hero. If tactics 1 or 2 are not used then the Sentry moves. If there's a hero on the same tile as the Sentry moves adjacent. If not it moves to the next tile getting as close as it can to a hero.

2. The monsters placed because sentry tactic 2 activate at the same time as all other monsters the player contols. 

3. If you draw the same type of Sentry as your first one, discard & draw again. If you draw another type of Sentry...ewww, bad luck. Place another tile & monster, again. 
Being as there's only two types of Sentry's this will, at most, happen twice.  
I have been playing them as written and have not had an issue, since they will usually spawn another monster I think this was done intentionally to balance the damage. 
1. Sentry tactic 3 moves the monster up to 1 tile towards the nearest hero. If tactics 1 or 2 are not used then the Sentry moves. If there's a hero on the same tile as the Sentry moves adjacent. If not it moves to the next tile getting as close as it can to a hero.

It sounds like you are saying that if the sentry is on the same tile as a hero, but not adjacent to the hero, then the sentry will move to be adjacent to the hero. If you are playing by the base rules, then this is not correct. It is by design that the sentry will simply sit and watch if it is on the same tile as a hero but not adjacent. This has also been confirmed by Peter Lee (see link in post a couple above this one).

Seemed weird to me at first too, but it's how they are meant to work. After playing them correctly for several games, it no longer seems strange. Their job is to alert other monsters, and make the dungeon bigger without getting you closer to your goal, not necessarily to run up and attack you like every other monster type in the game.

Happy Dungeoning! :D
We played another game last night, this time with three people and I am now more certain than ever that sentries should be played as written. 

One of the three monsters pulled with the chamber and end boss was a kobold sentry, on a tile with two unexplored edges.  His first turn he pulls a new tile and adds a snake.  On his second turn he pulls a tile to the other edge and adds a durgur scout who pulls another tile and adds yet another kobold sentry who pulls another tile with a cave bear. So on one turn sentries caused three new monsters to spawn. Four total in two turns.

At that point the Goeth boss, two gibbering mouthers, a cave bear, one legion devil, and a durgur were all already in play.  Luckly victory conditions being what they were we were able to kill what we needed before the sentry train got to the other side of the dungeon.

Had our dungeon layout not been so thin and wide horizontally things would have gone down hill really fast in the four turns it took is to meet the victory conditions.
I also play the sentry as

-       Otherwise, the Monster moves 1 tile toward the closest Hero.

If the sentry is not adjacent to a heroes, we just move it near the closest hero on is same time (no attack)...

Somehow if it's not the case and it should be otherwise like some say that it does nothing I would just recommand to make a house rule of it and make it move to the closest hero.