[WoA] Flying Carpet, Rolling Boulder, Whirling Blades

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello fellow WoA players / D&D boardgame enthusiasts,

I bought WoA several days ago and have played a couple single player games as well as a couple three player games. I enjoy how the rules are generally open enough that you can interpret them to your own liking (or to make the game more or less challenging, as desired).

So far there's just a few things that I haven't been able to satisfactorily figure out, and I thought I would add them to the forum and see what you guys thought.

Item: Flying Carpet (145)
This item description says:
"Instead of moving, you can move the flying carpet marker to any tile within 1 tile of it. Any Hero standing on the Flying Carpet marker moves with the carpet."

My questions:
'Instead of moving' seems to imply that I can trade a movement action during my hero phase for moving the magic carpet instead. (I recall other special actions saying 'Instead of attacking...') Is this how you interpret this?

If I am correct with my above assumption, then the flying carpet would seem to be of limited use in single player adventures, as trading my ability to move approx. 1 tile for the option of moving myself on the flying carpet 1 tile would seem to be fairly silly.

Now, The magic... err.. flying carpet should probably be interpreted as having special bonuses (assuming that you are flying near the ceiling), such as being able to move onto tiles with traps (like a pit) without taking damage, and not being attackable by monster's melee attacks. None such bonuses are mentioned at all for the flying carpet, however, so I feel like I am taking more creative liberties with this item than with any other one in the game, and I don't want to take it too far. However, it seems like this should be a truly kickass item. Thoughts?

Trap: Whirling Blades (103)
"Trigger the Trap during your Villain's Phase: Move the Whirling Blades marker one tile toward the closest Hero, then attack each Hero on that tile."

My questions:
Does this mean that the whirling blades literally follow the hero's around the entire dungeon forever (excepting it running into other traps, or being disabled)? (That would seem to suggest that these things are intelligent, or, I suppose, magically imbued.)

Also, if all the heroes are already on the same tile as the whirling blades when the controlling player's villain phase happens, do you think the blades should move to a random adjacent tile, or stay in the same tile and wreak even more gory murder upon our heroes? (So far I've settled on forcing it to move each turn, even if that means not hurting any heroes.)

And if the whirling blades move into a tile containing another trap (say, a rolling boulder), do you prevent the blade from moving, destroy one of the traps, destroy both of the traps, or do something else entirely?

Trap: Rolling Boulder (102)
"Trigger the Trap during your Villain's Phase: Move the Rolling Boulder marker one tile toward the closest hero. Each Hero on the new tile takes 2 damage."

My questions:
I have similar questions as with the whirling blades: Do you interpret this so that the boulder literally chase the heroes around the entire dungeon forever? What about if there are two heroes on adjacent tiles? If they never moved, would the boulder simply move back and forth between the two tiles, continually murdering them? I'm undecided exactly how to control the boulder without the whole thing feeling a little strange.

Thanks guys!
The flying carpet is very useful, no matter how many players there are.  When you move from one tile to another, you can choose any square of the target tile to land in.  This could often get you much farther than your normal movement would allow.  It may not always be the best choice, but sometimes it will be, and that extra option is what makes it worthwhile.  (Just remember, you can't pick the carpet up again once you've set it out.)

Whirling Blades can be disarmed just like any other trap.  If the Heroes don't bother to disarm it, then yes, it will follow them around forever.

If all the Heroes are on the same tile as Whirling Blades when it activates, then no, it does not move.  (Or if you prefer, it moves zero tiles.)  It does attack all the Heroes.  There is no special case saying it moves away, so there's no reason to think it should.

The rule about having two traps on the same tile only applies when the trap is first drawn from the Encounter deck.  After that moment, there is no rule that says a tile cannot contain two trap markers.

Likewise with the Rolling Boulder.  It does not move if it is already in the same tile as a Hero; it stays put and deals 2 damage to everyone in the tile.  Yes, it follows you around until you disarm it, and yes, it can coexist in a tile with other traps.

Short answer: if you don't like the traps following you around, take a moment to disarm them.  Personally, I like that this game has traps you can't simply ignore by staying out of their tile.
If your position is that the official rules don't matter, or that house rules can fix everything, please don't bother posting in forums about the official rules. To do so is a waste of everyone's time.
Hmmm... I'm still not getting why the magic carpet is useful. Being able to position yourself on any square on the tile you fly to doesn't seem all that special... at most, you can move on the carpet, then abandon it and run another tile ahead with your second move action. It's unlikely that the hero wouldn't have been able to reach that same tile on foot. Not the same exact square, but certainly the same tile. Since attacks from monsters are almost always based on tile distance, rather than square distance, it doesn't seem to make much difference where on the tile you end up. What am I missing here?

And to the telepathic, sentient boulders and blades: I appreciate the added difficulty your interpretation creates, but it still doesn't sit right with me somehow. Maybe if the trap was a swarm of wasps or something, I could understand how it would follow the heroes and stay with them if they don't move. But a boulder that keeps running over heroes again and again whether they run or stay in the same spot, like it was magnetically attracted to them? It just seems like too much of a stretch. Maybe I've seen too many movies and played too many video games with giant boulders in them that act like, well, giant boulders, to find this to be reasonable.

I believe that the magic carpet's real value is that it can transport multiple Heroes simultaneously. One Hero spends his Move and everyone else on the carpet gets a free ride.

I only interpret and explain rules.  Making them make sense is none of my business.

I will say that the Whirling Blades are probably magical to some extent, so their ability to track the Heroes doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me.

The Boulder was probably either hastily written, poorly tested, or both.  I agree that it's silly, but again, what the rules state versus how they fit into your imagination is not a conflict I want to try to reconcile.
If your position is that the official rules don't matter, or that house rules can fix everything, please don't bother posting in forums about the official rules. To do so is a waste of everyone's time.
Makes sense to me. Thanks Andrelai!

As an aside, I think the Rolling Boulder would work better conceptually if it were changed to:

Place the Rolling Boulder marker on the active Hero's tile, etc.
Each Hero on the active Hero's tile takes 2 damage.
Trigger the trap during your Villain Phase. Move the Rolling Boulder marker one tile in the direction of its tile's arrow. If the Rolling Boulder triggers while on a Start tile remove the marker from play.
Any Hero that enters this Trap's tile, or starts his or her turn there takes 2 damage.

This causes the Rolling Boulder to roll towards the Start Tile, crushing anything that gets in its way. It still provides a formidable obstacle for the heroes but isn't this ridiculous thing that follows them around rolling over them.
roonechr, you are a bloody genius.

That is totally how I'm going to run the boulder from now on!
I second Andrelai's comments! Thanks roonechr!
Okay, I tried it, and I ended up modifying it a little bit because the timing seemed weird, and also because as written above, the thing is significantly more dangerous than other traps.

Here's how I did it:

Place Rolling Boulder as you would any other Trap.  When you activate Rolling Boulder during your Villain Phase, deal 2 damage to each Hero on the same tile.  Then move the Rolling Boulder marker 1 tile in the direction of the current tile's triangle.  If the current tile has no triangle, remove Rolling Boulder from the board and discard the Encounter card.

So the marker indicates the tile that will be damaged next, and the damage is only dealt once per round rather than punishing everyone who comes close at any time. 

If it were a Flaming Boulder, I might do it the other way.  Wink
I like your changes. The marker works like Lava Flow to show you where not to end your turn.

I believe that the magic carpet's real value is that it can transport multiple Heroes simultaneously. One Hero spends his Move and everyone else on the carpet gets a free ride.

Unless we've been playing it wrong, the magic carpet's value is that it makes you pretty much immune to traps (as long as your on the carpet when you draw them).  The traps all say, "if there is already a marker on this tile then discard the card." Since the Flying Carpet is a marker, then you always discard traps when you're on the carpet.
Excellent insight! I simply didn't see that possibility, since I've not been convinced to use the thing. :P

It goes without saying, but if that was the intended use, it should have been written about directly. However! I love it, and it makes sense to me, so I'm going to play that way from now on. 

Thanks!
Would anyone think that you could use the flying carpet to travel to a tile and place the carpet such that it would be covering the square of another hero, so that the new hero would immediately be on the carpet without having to move on to it?  Sort of like flying by and picking up the new hero.  Then the new hero could move everyone on their turn by replacing a move without having to use a move to get on the carpet?