Gamma World - Hoops

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is going to sound like crazy talk (or too obvious to mention), but has anyone made the following connection between Gamma World and the John Cusack movie “One  Crazy Summer?”

The opening of the movie features an animated sequence where a bipedal rhino is antagonized by bipedal ‘cute and fuzzy’ bunnies. I don’t want to spoil the end of the sequence, but it ends badly for the ‘cute and fuzzy’ bunnies- very Gamma World like. Additionally, the John Cusack character, cartoonist who creates the above cartoon, has the nickname ‘Hoops.’ And ‘hoop’ is the name of the bipedal, 'cute and fuzzy' bunnies of Gamma World!

It’s like a riddle wrapped in an enigma, inside of a pretzel cheese-dog.

I have not made such an association. However, I do not see anything wrong with you for doing so.

Watership Down, however...
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
This is going to sound like crazy talk (or too obvious to mention), but has anyone made the following connection between Gamma World and the John Cusack movie “One  Crazy Summer?”

Gamma World (and the Hoop creature) was published in 1978, while "One  Crazy Summer" was from 1986, and took the name Hoops McCann from a character in the 1980 Steely Dan song "Glamour Profession", which talks about basketball.

So... we can either assume that
Steely Dan was a Gamma World fan, or that the writer of Gamma World was a time-traveler. There are no coincidences.

Hoops rock! they're the best...
Why did the hoop cross the road?
Hare today, goon tomorrow.
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Hare today, goon tomorrow.

Just last night on the Simpsons I noticed Milhouse with a Bunny Foo Foo lunchbox

And now, you have me ing! I'm glad someone else got the reference (and not just the pun).
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
The inspiration for the bipedal white rabbit was more likely Alice in Wonderland.

As to the names, the classic 1e GW names rarely had a clear fictional etymology.  Hoop is maybe from hop.  Maybe.  Hopper, Podog, Ark, Brutorz, Gren and a few others make sense.  Most of them are just wierd.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

The inspiration for the bipedal white rabbit was more likely Alice in Wonderland.

If it was inspired by previous literature, I personally would guess Harvey the Pooka. But it seems more likely that the original Gamma World writers were simply anthropomorphizing animals in general.

... while listening to Steely Dan

Hoops still, and always will rock!

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black.

• Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black.

Or the kettle calling the pot...