DM Screen Initiative Trackers

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lacking a quick and easy way to track initiative, HP and conditions and seeing this used before to great effect, I have designed some DM Screen initiative trackers for this season.

For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, these are simply little cards that you can print out and fold in half. You then can hang them on your DM screen (One for every player and monster) in initiative order so that you and your players can quickly determine the initiative order.

These also have stats blocks on the back so the DM can write down quick info for each player and monster. The monster trackers have little check boxes on the back one group labled 5 hp and another 1 hp. This is simple to use, if the monster takes 17 points of damage you check 3 of the fives and two of the ones. I borrowed the checkboxes from GonishMagicMissle's standies because I really really suck at graphic design and they were pretty much perfect, so credit goes out where it is due.

Included is condtion markers aswell. These work the same way, you just hang them over the player or monster hanger to indicate the condition.

I went ahead and took the liberty of designing the monster cards for the next session (session 3) and will more than likely continue to do so each session.

I hope you all find these a useful and quick way to track combat.

Season 4 Premade Character Cards 1
Season 4 Premade Character Cards 2
Blank Character Cards
Blank Monster Cards
Condition Markers
Session 3 Monster Cards
Session 4 Monster Cards
Session 5 Monster Cards
- Rico
Lacking a quick and easy way to track initiative, HP and conditions and seeing this used before to great effect, I have designed some DM Screen initiative trackers for this season.

For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, these are simply little cards that you can print out and fold in half. You then can hang them on your DM screen (One for every player and monster) in initiative order so that you and your players can quickly determine the initiative order.

These also have stats blocks on the back so the DM can write down quick info for each player and monster. The monster trackers have little check boxes on the back one group labled 5 hp and another 1 hp. This is simple to use, if the monster takes 17 points of damage you check 3 of the fives and two of the ones. I borrowed the checkboxes from GonishMagicMissle's standies because I really really suck at graphic design and they were pretty much perfect, so credit goes out where it is due.

Included is condtion markers aswell. These work the same way, you just hang them over the player or monster hanger to indicate the condition.

I went ahead and took the liberty of designing the monster cards for the next session (session 3) and will more than likely continue to do so each session.

I hope you all find these a useful and quick way to track combat.

imgur.com/a/yyyn7#TB6NI

Great work!  These are great; thanks for sharing.

I use a system I made myself thats pretty similar to ArmVet's I made laminated "sandwich" type cards for both players and monsters. I attached the two card pieces with sisel twine instead of folding them.  To use you just use wet or dry erase markers and hang them from the DM screen. I also made laminated "name" placards to set in front of each player, helps at cons and other venues where every is new to the player and the characters name.  I even color coded the player initiative "sandwich boards" to the player "name placards"   I'll take some pics at Sunday's LFR that I'm dming and post em here for you to look at.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Sorry for being a little late, but here are the session 4 monster cards:

i.imgur.com/EzWQT.png 
Hard a hard time finding artwork for the monsters on session 5 as they are custom made. So I went with crazy or angry villagers, hope it fits good enough:

i.imgur.com/OETqe.png 
I made standees, and like you I had a hard time finding something - wish I had found your artwork instead. awesome job.
I like the idea of placing cards over the DM screen in the order of init, though in that case I like to keep them really simple with just the name of the PC or monster (or the image as the OP created, very nice!). The goal is to keep things really simple. Having a PC name is helpful because it fosters RP - players are more likely to use PC names if they have them before them. Having a monster image is helpful because it helps make up for any mini/token differences and tends to stimulate the mind without giving away a name.

That said, my personal preference is to just create folded construction paper cards/tents as I described in the DM Tools thread. What I like about this method is that you can very easily distribute them and players can self-manage things like readying or delaying without the DM needing to shuffle. You can make one set of cards very cheaply and use them for years (I made my set back for version 3.5 of the rules and they are still in heavy use).

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Sign In to post comments