02/21 - Rule of Three

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
This week's Rule of Three just went online.

IMHO, it improved a lot over the last one - kudos to Wizards! :D

Have a cookie!

1. Start a thread with your ideas for themes and we’ll start taking notes.

Oh, I'll start that right away! ^^

3. In addition, we recognize that users must now track down PDFs for each article on each individual article’s page. To help improve this experience, we’re looking at adding download options alongside each article in the Dragon and Dungeon table of contents pages, as they’re made available or at the end the month. Let us know what you think of this option.

Well, it seems to me that the best option would be a "download all articles" button where the "download compiled issue" button used to be. Silly, but it is much easier if we can navigate to a specific magazine and hit just one button to download everything we want.

This would bring to mind however why the hell would it be that hard to make a PDF compilation of such articles. I think that even if Wizards did not create an index for the compiled PDF, I would still prefer that the articles be merged in a single PDF :P.

Well, can't have everything we want . I vote for the "download all articles" button then! :D

Are you threatening me master jedi? Dungeons & Dragons 4e Classic - The Dark Edition
Do you mean have a download all button along with the buttons to download the individual articles in the table of contents?

I don't see a reason why it would be all that difficult to real the single pdf compilation but I also don't want to download a file with a bunch of stuff I don't want in it.

I'll vote for your "download all" button at the bottom of the table of contents page or even a single pdf option, as long as I still can get an updated single article download option as well.
I'll vote for your "download all" button at the bottom of the table of contents page or even a single pdf option, as long as I still can get an updated single article download option as well.



Oh, that's exactly what I mean . We should still be able to download articles individually, but there could also be a "download all articles" button somewhere in the layout .

For example, in this page, we have the "cover" image for Dragon 396 and below, all the articles of that magazine, that can be download individually. All I suggest is that they add a "download all articles" button somewhere in that page. Older issues, like Dragon 394 had a "download complete issue here" button, as shown in this page.
Are you threatening me master jedi? Dungeons & Dragons 4e Classic - The Dark Edition
I liked this week's questions. I liked this week's answers. Still, I want a monthly compiled Dragon & Dungeon magazine. The answer to question 3 didn't bother me because It was a positive attempt to make downloading easier.
I figured the questions they asked and answered would get better in the 2nd week and going.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams
i am linking to this thread as the official discussion thread.

@Vinicius_Zoio: thank you for making this thread.

Ooooh. Some better questions this week. My entire group was super pumped for themes, and was afraid they were going away with essentials. Too bad about the lack of an ETA on the "disappeared" articles.

I figured the questions they asked and answered would get better in the 2nd week and going.

What were you looking for, blazian?  How did they let you down?
I don't think they did.  I read his comment as "I thought they'd get better - and they did!"

As for my own opinion, this ro3 is a vast improvement over the first one.  Three questions instead of just two.  All three questions about D&D, not the board games.  All three questions we were actually asking.  And while the second was the same corporate speak non-answer that we've recieved before, the third question actually seems to indicate that they are working on improving the DDI experience and are open to suggestions, while the first actually gave us information we didn't already know (themes will be in NWN), in a way that gives us some impression of where the game is heading.

Again, vast improvement.  Couldn't be happier.
Necromancy: Friendship is Magic
well, themes dont seem to be happening anytime soon if they are asking us for theme ideas. neverwinter is great and all but its not like all my current campaigns just end the day it comes out so, i am not expecting core themes for at least a year. at least. maybe never

sure put a button by the magazines, its slightly better than having to manually dl them all, though nowhere near as good as it used to be
I'll vote for your "download all" button at the bottom of the table of contents page or even a single pdf option, as long as I still can get an updated single article download option as well.



Oh, that's exactly what I mean . We should still be able to download articles individually, but there could also be a "download all articles" button somewhere in the layout .

For example, in this page, we have the "cover" image for Dragon 396 and below, all the articles of that magazine, that can be download individually. All I suggest is that they add a "download all articles" button somewhere in that page. Older issues, like Dragon 394 had a "download complete issue here" button, as shown in this page.


I've heard (can't remember where exactly) that the reason they stopped doing the compiled set of articles download was because of updates and corrections.

Apparently they currently change articles as info is corrected or updated. The compilations for each issue have to be redone every time they do so, and there's not a simple way for them to keep track of whether or not the compilation has already been updated or not.

Based off of that, I'd suggest the compilation of each issue come out a month behind the last article of the month's release. This gives them time to put in the corrections and updates. Then they should just leave the compilation as is and not update any more and leave word to those downloading only the compilations that that's the case.

And if they don't want to go that route, why not just have a tiny little section telling what previous articles were corrected or updated like magazines and newspapers do whenever they need to note a correction? This keeps the compiled issues easier to deal with, but still lets them update the individual articles so that they're fully up to date. It'd be a pretty small thing to log updates and changes and then just publish the latest stuff is in the compiled issue.

As a note - I didn't mean to say I'm entirely happy with the answers we recieved (I would have preferred themes before neverwinter, and asking us for theme suggestions itelf suggests that they hadn't really thought about what they were going to do for the book they cancelled, yet.

But I am very happy with the Q&A article itself.  It actually took some real Qs, and actually gave some legitimate As, at least one with info we didn't already have.  It wasn't 100% awesome - but I don't feel like I completely wasted my time and brain cells reading it, like I did after the first article.

Necromancy: Friendship is Magic
Good Q&A, but I can;t help but feel that at least one of the answers doesn't accurately reflect reality, based on reports that at of the three articles updated last month, one of them did not have its update noted anywhere but in the PDF itself.  This is not as advertised.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Is it just me or have they really not given a meaningful answer to their second question?
I'll vote for your "download all" button at the bottom of the table of contents page or even a single pdf option, as long as I still can get an updated single article download option as well.



Oh, that's exactly what I mean . We should still be able to download articles individually, but there could also be a "download all articles" button somewhere in the layout .

For example, in this page, we have the "cover" image for Dragon 396 and below, all the articles of that magazine, that can be download individually. All I suggest is that they add a "download all articles" button somewhere in that page. Older issues, like Dragon 394 had a "download complete issue here" button, as shown in this page.


I've heard (can't remember where exactly) that the reason they stopped doing the compiled set of articles download was because of updates and corrections.

Apparently they currently change articles as info is corrected or updated. The compilations for each issue have to be redone every time they do so, and there's not a simple way for them to keep track of whether or not the compilation has already been updated or not.


I doubt that this is true. I would think that they made the compilation at the end of the month, avoid having to update the compliation, and only need to make it once.
Holy crap, #1 is my question word-for-word.  Damned awesome!
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I've heard (can't remember where exactly) that the reason they stopped doing the compiled set of articles download was because of updates and corrections.



Nope. They changed it because analysis showed that the great majority of people never actually downloaded the compiled issues, only the individual articles.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
I figured the questions they asked and answered would get better in the 2nd week and going.

What were you looking for, blazian?  How did they let you down?



What mal said. When something new starts up I always wait a few weeks before passing judgement or saying it outright sucks... playing MMO's a lot will do that too you. :p
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams
I've heard (can't remember where exactly) that the reason they stopped doing the compiled set of articles download was because of updates and corrections.

Apparently they currently change articles as info is corrected or updated. The compilations for each issue have to be redone every time they do so, and there's not a simple way for them to keep track of whether or not the compilation has already been updated or not.

Any Content Management System or better a revision control system (though PDFs being binary are hard to run merges on, the source documents might be able to be tracked this way). Such a system might even be engineered to merge and upload an update automatically.
Good mechanics question in other thread:
I would like to ask about designer intent behind certain rules. For example,

Is it indended that, using a power that slides an enemy six squares, you can slide him in and out of a Stinking Cloud to deal its damage three times?

Surely we can ask for rules clarifications in the Rule of Three?

 
Only 3? Try using Spellscarred powers and sliding 8 or more times. The player asked if he could just use average damage instead of rolling 24d6.

Yeah, I don't like this rule, but I'd hate to see what WOTC would rule in their current mood. I still want pushing people into walls and zones to be a valid tactic. Maybe creatures should take damage once for each way they could take damage per round. So if a power says "starts or enters" the monster could take damage once for a start and once for an enters but not 2 or more for entering until they got another turn. That'd be how I'd house rule it.
 
i am linking to this thread as the official discussion thread.

@Vinicius_Zoio: thank you for making this thread.



Gald to be of service! :D

Are you threatening me master jedi? Dungeons & Dragons 4e Classic - The Dark Edition
Is it just me or have they really not given a meaningful answer to their second question?




Exactly my same thoughts. This is the exact same answer we got awhile ago. I don't want old news, I want NEW news. If they are considering other avenues to get the content to us, they should stop hiding it! Wotc should just tell us some of these other avenue's that they are considering. They should tell us if the alternate methods, like cards, a series of dragon magazine articles, a small digest size book, a PDF Book, cerebral implants, etc. Granted for the record, I do not want any other avenue's  for the magic item book., Hero Builders Guidebook can easily go to dragon magazine.

In regards to the class compendium, I was under the impression that we'd already have said content months ago.  Its just atrocious that these rules were not available from the start when essentials material was being released. And to be honest, if essentials is the "new direction" the content from the class compendium should be available as a free PDF. I shouldn't have to pay for rules that I should have gotten when I purchased heroes of the fallen lands back in september. I should already have had rules for letting a normal non-essentials wizard have some way of exchanging a class feature for a mage's (essentials wizard) school of magic. Or a cleric being able to pick up a warpriest's domain in exchange for some features. But I don't, and now wotc is holding back on this? If they want to unite all 4e gamers and pacify all arguments of compatibility between essentials/non-essentials, they have to release this material now! 

As for Mordenkienen's Magical Emporium,  I want an actual book since I don't want to be tethered to my computer to browse what new items I can give my Group, nor do I want to have to buy a deck of cards that may be misplaced easily or any other idea wotc conjures up. I don't care if I have to pay extra to get the only copy of Mordenkienen's Magical Emporium in the world, as I probably will not buy a digital format for this information.

And this whole new "design" and "quality" change isn't going to solve anything. Sure, they might find a few more mistakes and balance issues, but in the long run, some Char OP guy or someone in my group will find a way to bend the new content in ways the designers haven't intended or foresaw and voila, we have another page added to the compiled update document.  And here's one simple observation in regards to the magic item book. Wasn't the point of the rarity system so that they could make overpowered/unbalanced items in the system but manage to keep it out of the reach of players? Since the default assumption is that pc's can't craft or buy an uncommon/rare item and the only way they can get it is if the DM lets them. As such, its common sense that said items will require less balancing or errata since the whole principle behind their creation is to be much more powerful than normal magical items...

Sometimes I don't understand wotc's train of thought at all.... Perhaps if they actually were more detailed in what's going on instead of rehashing old statements, then they'd garner more respect from the community, myself included.
I would have to say Mordenkanen's Emporium was the biggest mistake book to cancel. It wasn't the one I was personally interested in (I'm not thrilled by magic items in general, I prefer class material and I was really looking forard to Champions of the Heroic Tier)

But really, it's far past time we had some kind of update over the magic item rarity issue. It is my understanding that MME was supposed to help in this regard.  Answers to this issue is needed yesterday, not taken off the schedule. 
Is it just me or have they really not given a meaningful answer to their second question?




Exactly my same thoughts.



Mine too.

They also keep forgetting to mention the Nentir Vale Gazeteer, the first product to go, but as im reading more and more of the Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale, it seems it will be merged into it, or at least good chunks of it, with the rest spread thorugh the Dragon/Dungeons articles.

Is this the new way they are refering to? Will they get back to the Anuals, thus giving ppl a collection of related articles?

Or are they moving more and more away from the printed products, just relying on DDI and the VTT?
I would have to say Mordenkanen's Emporium was the biggest mistake book to cancel. It wasn't the one I was personally interested in (I'm not thrilled by magic items in general, I prefer class material and I was really looking forard to Champions of the Heroic Tier)

But really, it's far past time we had some kind of update over the magic item rarity issue. It is my understanding that MME was supposed to help in this regard.  Answers to this issue is needed yesterday, not taken off the schedule. 



Well said sir, well said. I'm in 100% agreement except in the timing. We didn't need it yesterday, more like months ago.
I would have to say Mordenkanen's Emporium was the biggest mistake book to cancel. It wasn't the one I was personally interested in (I'm not thrilled by magic items in general, I prefer class material and I was really looking forard to Champions of the Heroic Tier)

But really, it's far past time we had some kind of update over the magic item rarity issue. It is my understanding that MME was supposed to help in this regard.  Answers to this issue is needed yesterday, not taken off the schedule. 



Well said sir, well said. I'm in 100% agreement except in the timing. We didn't need it yesterday, more like months ago.



Also totally in agreament.

The Essentials line has NO itens book, even though the Rarity rules (which i like) were introduced at the same time, and the Adventures Vault books are now out of print (had to buy a used copy, as the new ones are extremely expensive, for foreign delivery at least).

Holy crap, #1 is my question word-for-word.  Damned awesome!


I noticed that too.  Kudos for coming up with a perfectly worded question. 
I've heard (can't remember where exactly) that the reason they stopped doing the compiled set of articles download was because of updates and corrections.



Nope. They changed it because analysis showed that the great majority of people never actually downloaded the compiled issues, only the individual articles.



I don't mean to say WotC doesn't know how to read their data, but myself and many others have pointed out that they viewed the articles individually in their browsers multiple times for reference (rather than downloading it and opening it from their computer) because it was easy. They then would download the compiled magazines and reference them from their computers. I myself did this when I was going through my argument about the Executioner's encounter powers. I referenced the article a half-dozen times, then downloaded the compiled magazine once...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
I've heard (can't remember where exactly) that the reason they stopped doing the compiled set of articles download was because of updates and corrections.



Nope. They changed it because analysis showed that the great majority of people never actually downloaded the compiled issues, only the individual articles.



I don't mean to say WotC doesn't know how to read their data, but myself and many others have pointed out that they viewed the articles individually in their browsers multiple times for reference (rather than downloading it and opening it from their computer) because it was easy. They then would download the compiled magazines and reference them from their computers. I myself did this when I was going through my argument about the Executioner's encounter powers. I referenced the article a half-dozen times, then downloaded the compiled magazine once...



The ploral of anecdote is not data.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
The poll at the bottom  ("Tall human or Fat human?") is broken. The "**** YEAH THRI-KREEN!" button isn't showing up.
Zammm = Batman. Bronies unite. "I'd call you a genius, but I'm in the room."
It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.
Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
The ploral of anecdote is not data.



Perhaps not, but the described behavior does seem to be a natural use of system as it was.  The point being, I don't remember any polls or the like asking us whether we used the compilations.  Pure download count was inherently likely to be misleading. 
Necromancy: Friendship is Magic
Actually there was a poll.  I believe it ran for about two weeks.
Still not prepared to resubscribe to D&DI until either a) the D&DI tools are complete and polished or b) they put compiled magazines back up.

And by the time A is ready, I may have gotten so used to living without tools that I'll _STILL_ wait for B. 
well, themes dont seem to be happening anytime soon if they are asking us for theme ideas. neverwinter is great and all but its not like all my current campaigns just end the day it comes out so, i am not expecting core themes for at least a year. at least. maybe never

sure put a button by the magazines, its slightly better than having to manually dl them all, though nowhere near as good as it used to be



Hopefully never on themes for core classes.
I've heard (can't remember where exactly) that the reason they stopped doing the compiled set of articles download was because of updates and corrections.



Nope. They changed it because analysis showed that the great majority of people never actually downloaded the compiled issues, only the individual articles.



Oh, Mudbunny, you are precious. Stepping out of pleasing the Wizards employees, I can imagine actually questioning whether Wizards is being genuine about their reason for getting rid of the compiled magazine. Let's not even debate that, of course, the separate articles are downloaded more than the compiled magazine---ready for this----they outnumber the compiled magazine downloads by twenty simply because there are twenty article download buttons to one compiled magazine download button.
I've heard (can't remember where exactly) that the reason they stopped doing the compiled set of articles download was because of updates and corrections.



Nope. They changed it because analysis showed that the great majority of people never actually downloaded the compiled issues, only the individual articles.



Oh, Mudbunny, you are precious. Stepping out of pleasing the Wizards employees, I can imagine actually questioning whether Wizards is being genuine about their reason for getting rid of the compiled magazine. Let's not even debate that, of course, the separate articles are downloaded more than the compiled magazine---ready for this----they outnumber the compiled magazine downloads by twenty simply because there are twenty article download buttons to one compiled magazine download button.



I would assume this fact is a given. I don't think they were like "derrrrr 20 articles were downloaded 20 times and the magazine was only downloaded 20 times.... so 400 articles versus 20 issues." Think it was more of "Alright, 75 people downloaded individual articles.... but only 25/30 downloaded the whole issue."
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams
I would have to say Mordenkanen's Emporium was the biggest mistake book to cancel. It wasn't the one I was personally interested in (I'm not thrilled by magic items in general, I prefer class material and I was really looking forard to Champions of the Heroic Tier)

But really, it's far past time we had some kind of update over the magic item rarity issue. It is my understanding that MME was supposed to help in this regard.  Answers to this issue is needed yesterday, not taken off the schedule. 



Well said sir, well said. I'm in 100% agreement except in the timing. We didn't need it yesterday, more like months ago.



You're right! Yesterday is clearly not soon enough.  I stand corrected.
I've heard (can't remember where exactly) that the reason they stopped doing the compiled set of articles download was because of updates and corrections.



Nope. They changed it because analysis showed that the great majority of people never actually downloaded the compiled issues, only the individual articles.



Oh, Mudbunny, you are precious. Stepping out of pleasing the Wizards employees, I can imagine actually questioning whether Wizards is being genuine about their reason for getting rid of the compiled magazine. Let's not even debate that, of course, the separate articles are downloaded more than the compiled magazine---ready for this----they outnumber the compiled magazine downloads by twenty simply because there are twenty article download buttons to one compiled magazine download button.



I would assume this fact is a given. I don't think they were like "derrrrr 20 articles were downloaded 20 times and the magazine was only downloaded 20 times.... so 400 articles versus 20 issues." Think it was more of "Alright, 75 people downloaded individual articles.... but only 25/30 downloaded the whole issue."



I find that life is much easier, and much less stressful when you assume that the overwhelming majority of people actually know what they are doing and are not complete and utter morons.

Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere


I find that life is much easier, and much less stressful when you assume that the overwhelming majority of people actually know what they are doing and are not complete and utter morons.




While this attitude will sometimes cause disappointment, I still maintain it as an important assumption to make, if only to will the world to a better place.



I find that life is much easier, and much less stressful when you assume that the overwhelming majority of people actually know what they are doing and are not complete and utter morons.




While this attitude will sometimes cause disappointment, I still maintain it as an important assumption to make, if only to will the world to a better place.


It is much better for ones sanity and general metal health to expect good things and occasionally be disappointed, than to expect bad things and occasionally be surprised.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
the problem is when nearly every thing they do appears to be mistakes, then with that attitude you start to question your sanity...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.