5CB Tournament #1

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
This time the tournament's gonna be 5CB. The rules are almost exactly the same as 3CB, except instead of 3 cards, you get 5. The changes are:

• Your deck can't win before the opponent's third turn.

• You can't force more than 1 card in your opponent's hand to change zones before turn 3. (This means that you can't play Cabal Therapy unless you have no way to get before turn 3, for example.)

Submissions are due by 11:59:59 PM EST on 3/5/11. You must both post here to say you submitted and send me a list via PM.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Reserved for competitors and results.

Decklists:

Name#Decklist
Mown1Peat Bog, Smallpox, Nether Spirit, Foil, Island
TranscientMaster2Hollow Trees, Channel, Lich's Mirror, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Lotus Bloom
Lococ_Lobo3Sandstone Needle, Sandstone Needle, Pyretic Ritual, Pyretic Ritual, Chandra Nalaar
defuse4Dark Depths, Dust Bowl, Maze of Ith, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
SereneChaos5Underground Sea, Lotus Petal, Tidehollow Sculler, Daze, Ice Floe
Teeee6Leyline of Anticipation, Black Lotus, Black Lotus, Black Lotus, Iona, Shield of Emeria
silasw7Mishra's Workshop, Sol Ring, Ensnaring Bridge, Darksteel Reactor, Lich's Mirror
Maraxus-of-Keld8Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Sprit, Daze, Foil
Nyktos9City of Traitors, Mox Jet, Mox Jet, Phyrexian Vatmother, No Mercy

Results:

#123456789TotalRank
1-6266207
26-6623236
3-3698
463-6666332
5626-433245
62666-6264
766616-6313
8666366-6391
933-69

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Zero clue what is viable here, but let's try.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

All right. This is going to be fun and crazy. Decklist sent.
Rules Nut Advisor
Zero clue what is viable here, but let's try.

All right. This is going to be fun and crazy. Decklist sent.

Received.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

sure I'll give it a shot.
I shall play.

And win. 
Are you scared?
sure I'll give it a shot.

I shall play.

And win. 

Received from both.
Remember that you can resend at any time (before the deadline, of course).

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

I'm proud of this list.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I have to say, this is a lot harder to build for than 3CB is.
blah blah metal lyrics
I'm proud of this list.

Received.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Sent!
Sent!

Received.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

I'm not sure how legal this is. Sent.

EDIT: Never mind, that's definitely not legal. Resending...

It works.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

It works.

I'm pretty sure it violates the "can't force opponent's cards in hand to change zones" rule.

It works.

I'm pretty sure it violates the "can't force opponent's cards in hand to change zones" rule.

Yeah. The new deck works though.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Imma sendin'
Imma sendin'

Received.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

The more I think about my deck, the more convinced I am that it breaks the spirit of the game even if it technically follows the rules. I'm considering switching to something more fair. Also, if our  deck is kind of tricky to play and/or has a sneaky combo in it, should we include strategy notes when we submit our list?
Rules Nut Advisor
Had a better idea, resubmitted.
Had a better idea, resubmitted.

You don't need to say that, but received.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

I just want this to end right now. So excited, and still so unsure how this format works, compared to the prevous one ;_;

Yxoque wrote:

In light of recent posts, PM's, and re-reading the original rules, I've decided to make the "you can't win" clause refer to your deck being unable to win before your opponent's third turn (in addition to the discard rule). Post #1 is to be edited accordingly. Also, note that I will be unavailable for questioning from 2/24 to 2/27, inclusive. 

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

That makes my deck illegal, doesn't it? That makes me very sad. Wasn't that combo awesome? T_T

Anyways. I'll send another list.
Oppponent's turn 3 when you are on the play or on the draw not-play?

Edit: Going to send in a decklist assuming you are allowed to win on your own turn 3, after your opponent has had 2 (with you on the play) or 3 (on the "draw") turns. Having to wait till turn 4 with a 5-card godhand is just silly.

Edit again: Or I'll just play it safe for the 4th-turn win. The math for getting my deck to go off on turn 3 is surprisingly hard.
Rules Nut Advisor
Your opponent must take 3 turns.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Resubmitted a legal list. 
Submitted a janky, janky decklist because it amused me. I'll probably resubmit if I come up with anything that actually seems decent.

Edit: Which, I just realized, is even more terrible than I thought since it has no way of actually using one of its cards while still being able to win. Oops. Guess I'll need to rethink that a bit.
blah blah metal lyrics
Is my deck still legal?

I can't remember what it was. 
Are you scared?
Is my deck still legal?

I can't remember what it was. 

Yes, it's legal. (You have a sent mail link, you know ;))

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Sent a new list.
Pairings may be a little late. Sorry about that.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

I suspect this will be a lot harder to figure out the winner than 3CB was. It's pretty obvious what your gameplan is with 3 cards, but you can have amazing strategic depth in only 5.
Rules Nut Advisor
Well, my deck is pretty simple. (And likely terrible.)
blah blah metal lyrics
I love my deck.

None will exepect it. 
Are you scared?
Decklists to be posted soon; results to be posted sometime in the next 24 hours.
EDIT: Lists up.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Maraxus, y u stealing my tech? >:/

I have a pretty good feeling, thankfully not a lot of players decided to use lands to stall.

Yxoque wrote:

Just finished matches. The results will be edited into post #2 shortly.

Congratulations to Maraxus-of-Keld!

PotY Standings:

Name3CB 13CB 23CB 35CB 1Total
silasw51363425146
Mown36383614124
Teeee45362320124
Maraxus-of-Keld36292431120
Fakestreet463619101
Eater_of_Mortals493079
NanoAnarchy43102275
defuse362763
Vektor480184159
SereneChaos11262158
Kaljyn5050
turbler4646
Ragnalesca4343
Exilyth3838
useless_mancer3434
Nyktos161834
Amoebid_Changeling3030
TranscientMaster62026
Niklor1818
razorborne77
Lococ_Lobo33

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

what does 5cb stand for?

5 Card Blind.
Next one's probably gonna be another 3CB; those are more popular.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

how do these tournaments work exactly?

EDIT:  looked up the old thread for 3cb.  when does the next one I can join start?

In less than a half hour the next thread will be up. The thread is up right now.

Sig
Disclaimers
3CB
5CB
quotes
56819178 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

Sign In to post comments