The Retaliator

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Doing as much damage when hit as possible.

If she hits someone with hellish rebuke, and that creature makes a melee attack which (dazed, dominates, or deals psycic damage) and reduces her to 0 or fewer...
[sblock The Retaliator deals...]
30 thunder (Stormhawk Vengence)
8 fire (white lotus riposte)
17 (Quori Backlash)
2d6+14 fire (Hellish Rebuke)
10 force (Ring of circling fangs)
10 force (Ring of circling fangs + Mummified hand)
10 force (Ring of circling fangs + Many finged gloves)
6 (Pact blade longsword)
6 (Pact blade wrist razor)
6 necrotic (Evil Eye Fetish)
1d10 (Iron of Spite)
+ a free attack (white lotus master riposte)
+7 fire and radiant for each (12) = 84 (Radiant One)
[/sblock]223.5 auto-damage (+ another hellish rebuke).

You can probably expect about 1/2 (e.g. 100) on average.

She also has no problems surviving an onslaught, can protect her allies (increasing her retaliation damage), and has decent non-retaliation damage and control.

[sblock The Retaliator]Revenant Warlock|Battlemind / Avenging Haunt / Radiant One
Stats
Str 10, Con 16(+2), Dex 11(+2), Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 13

Feats:
1) Versatile Expertise (heavy blade)
2) Stormhawk Vengeance
4) White Lotus Riposte
6) Melee Training (Con)
8) Resilent Focus
10) Hybrid Talent (Shadow Walk)
11) Fierce Vitality @ 16 -> Death Scorned
12) White Lotus Master Riposte
14) Sickening Shadow
16) Sneak of the Shadows
18) Risky Shift
20) Quori Backlash
21) Ghostly Vitality
22) Longstep
24) Superior Will
26)
28)
30)

Powers:
Hellish Rebuke
Lightning Rush

Items: Evil Eye Fetish +6, Shadow Warlock Leather+6, Pact Blade Longsword+6, Pact Wrist Razor+6, Belt of Sonnilor Rightiousness (epic), 4x Ring of Circling Fangs, Mummified Hand, Many Fingered Gloves, Iron of Spite[/sblock]

Any otherways to boost retaliation?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Well, there's a couple of helmets that do retaliation damage for specific kinda of attacks(one for melee one for ranged), so pick one or the other. Iron of spite for melee(necrotic, 1d10), firebird for ranged(fire, 1d12), both are lvl 27.

You might also consider spark slippers(lvl 16), doing cha-mod damage to any enemy that moves adjacent to you. 
Shame there is a lack of Warlock and Intelligence there.  Shadow Warlock Armor + Pact Double Sword+6 + Pact Wrist Razors+6 + Radiant One gives a nasty amount as well when calculating max.

For the parts I remember, I think it is....
10+7 Force + Radiant and Fire (Ring of Circling Fangs)
10+7 Force + " (Ring of Circling Fangs)
10+7 Force + " (Ring of Circling Fangs + Many-fingered Gloves)
6+7 Untyped + " (Pact Double Sword)
6+7 Untyped + " (Pact Wrist Razors)
8+7 Fire + " (White Lotus Riposte)
6+7 Necrotic + " (Evil Eye Fetish)
= 118 Damage.
+1d6+Mods+7 (Hellish Rebuke)
+Repeat Hellish Rebuke (White Lotus Master Riposte)

No where near as capable of surviving an onslaught though when compared to the Revenant though.  I'll start trying to put this thing together again, even if it will take me time and wondering what build to work with, Hybrid Warlock|X or just flat Defenderlock?

Who knows, maybe you can fit in the Warlock and Radiant One parts into your idea and make it a nightmare.
Shame there is a lack of Warlock and Intelligence there.  Shadow Warlock Armor + Pact Double Sword+6 + Pact Wrist Razors+6 + Radiant One gives a nasty amount as well when calculating max.

= 118 Damage.

No where near as capable of surviving an onslaught though when compared to the Revenant though.  I'll start trying to put this thing together again, even if it will take me time and wondering what build to work with, Hybrid Warlock|X or just flat Defenderlock?

Who knows, maybe you can fit in the Warlock and Radiant One parts into your idea and make it a nightmare.

the warlock also has the sickening shadows feat (requires shadow walk) that does Int mod necrotic damage whenevever an enemy hits you with a melee attack while you hace concealment as a result of shadow walk.

= 118 Damage.

Nice.  And revenant make perfectly fine warlocks, and the only thing gained by being a sorc is the 2d6+3 (10 unless i'm missing something?), and without Dex the powers lack any good damage.

I'll build this as a Revenant Battlemind|Warlock then.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

What is your pre-revenant race? Genasi can deal damage equal to your psychic resistance as a backlash, and Kalashtar can deal 5+WIS mod damage as their backlash. 

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

What is your pre-revenant race? Genasi can deal damage equal to your psychic resistance as a backlash, and Kalashtar can deal 5+WIS mod damage as their backlash. 

I'd also check out longtooth shifter (combined with plagued regeneration + rapid regeneration) as a pre-revenant race -> 6+3+9+6 necrotic, radiant and fire damage to all adjecent at the end of your turn.
What is your pre-revenant race?

Currently, Shadar-Kai, for Deathless Warrior.  Though it originally for reapers touch.

Genasi can deal damage equal to your psychic resistance as a backlash, and Kalashtar can deal 5+WIS mod damage as their backlash. 

Can't do genasi.  The soul feat only gives you the power, not the manifistation, nor do i see a good way to get psychic resist.

Kalashtar seems nice, more to prevent enemies from dazing then anything else.

I'd also check out longtooth shifter (combined with plagued regeneration + rapid regeneration) as a pre-revenant race -> 6+3+9+6 necrotic, radiant and fire damage to all adjecent at the end of your turn.

24 auto-damage, as well as the regen is a strong possibility, though at 3 feats it's pricy.  Not sure about the plague scar requirement though.

Think i'll go for the Kalashtar, but i'll make a note about the longtooth.

guides
Power
my builds

Can't do genasi.  The soul feat only gives you the power, not the manifistation, nor do i see a good way to get psychic resist.

You can. Just take the Extra Manifestation feat. It doesn't currently (?) have Elemental Manifestation as a prerequisite.
This build reminds me of the Swordmage|Warlock build that uses Hellish Rebuke and Aegis of Assault to put the marked enemy in a catch-22 situation, where the enemy is basically going to be hit with an out-of-turn attack.  I noticed the only two powers you bothered mentioning were Hellish Rebuke and Lightning Rush, so I wondered if you had that in mind.  LR only has a range of 5, versus the Aegis range of 10.  But LR can redirect the attack to you, while AoA does nothing to stop the attack.  You also have to wait until 7th level to pull it off, but it might be worth it to develop the build that way.  Just an idea anyways.

You can. Just take the Extra Manifestation feat. It doesn't currently (?) have Elemental Manifestation as a prerequisite.

Yea, i noticed that later too, but quori backlash is simply better.

This build reminds me of the Swordmage|Warlock build that uses Hellish Rebuke and Aegis of Assault to put the marked enemy in a catch-22 situation, where the enemy is basically going to be hit with an out-of-turn attack.  I noticed the only two powers you bothered mentioning were Hellish Rebuke and Lightning Rush, so I wondered if you had that in mind.  LR only has a range of 5, versus the Aegis range of 10.  But LR can redirect the attack to you, while AoA does nothing to stop the attack.  You also have to wait until 7th level to pull it off, but it might be worth it to develop the build that way.  Just an idea anyways.

It could certinaly be a nice build (edrich strike for nice control), but the whole point of this one is to deal damage when it get's hit.  Nothing forces enemies to attack you better then lightning rush.

guides
Power
my builds

*subscribe*

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
I would look at MC'ing Wizard for this 2nd lvl Utility:

Guardian Blades

Three spectral blades appear around you, floating in a ring that wards away your foes.

Daily        Arcane, Fear
Minor Action      Personal

Effect: Until the end of the encounter or until you become unconscious, each enemy adjacent to you that makes an attack roll takes force damage equal to your Intelligence modifier. No enemy can take this damage more than once per turn.

Not sure if you MC wizard if it also lets you use Wizard implements? If so grab Staff Expertise so you don't get OA's on ranged attacks and a reach extended on your melee attacks.
An ED in HoS has a capstone feature where an enemy who hits you has to save or take half damage of whatever they deal you. Pretty much the penultimate retributive damage feature.

An ED in HoS has a capstone feature where an enemy who hits you has to save or take half damage of whatever they deal you. Pretty much the penultimate retributive damage feature.

The current ED is adding up to 85 damage, and at 21.

The other would only add about 40 (base) x .5 (half) X .5 (save) = 10  (unless you can do something to the saves).  Which really isn't that much.

guides
Power
my builds

Ah yes, which is what I get for not reading the whole build before posting. 

If you would do this with Morninglord+Radiant One, every instance of passive damage should ping radiant vulnerability seperately, since Radiant One's bonus damage is so beautifully broken, right?

Bonus question: Do Rings of circling fangs stack like this?

Thanks for sending me here, Mellored. Brought many new ideas to my mind.

Edit: I just saw that you already built it with Radiant One. Stacking radiant and if possible fire vul would be overkill, tho, if it works as i'm assuming above. 
If you would do this with Morninglord+Radiant One, every instance of passive damage should ping radiant vulnerability seperately, since Radiant One's bonus damage is so beautifully broken, right?

Bonus question: Do Rings of circling fangs stack like this?

Thanks for sending me here, Mellored. Brought many new ideas to my mind.

Edit: I just saw that you already built it with Radiant One. Stacking radiant and if possible fire vul would be overkill, tho, if it works as i'm assuming above. 

Avenging haunt can be replaced for morning lord easy enough.

Yes, rings stack.  Each a seperate instance.

guides
Power
my builds

Mellored, do you (or anybody else) have an idea how to force enemies to attack a Retaliator-like build? Everything seems like christmas compared to actually attacking a vulnerability-optimized Retaliator. The only thing i've got in mind is a (quite costly) certain method Zathris showed me to make clumped enemies unable to shift at-will, so they would provoke an OA at least (If you isolate them from your allies, of course and if they can't teleport). Anything else?
Doing as much damage when hit as possible.

If she hits someone with hellish rebuke, and that creature makes a melee attack which (dazed, dominates, or deals psycic damage) and reduces her to 0 or fewer...
[sblock The Retaliator deals...]
30 thunder (Stormhawk Vengence)
8 fire (white lotus riposte)
17 (Quori Backlash)
2d6+14 fire (Hellish Rebuke)
10 force (Ring of circling fangs + Mummified hand)
10 force (Ring of circling fangs + Many finged gloves)
6 (Pact blade longsword)
6 (Pact blade wrist razor)
6 necrotic (Evil Eye Fetish)
1d10 (Iron of Spite)
+ a free attack (white lotus master riposte)
+7 fire and radiant for each (12) = 84 (Radiant One)
[/sblock]223.5 auto-damage (+ another hellish rebuke).

You can probably expect about 1/2 (e.g. 100) on average.

I think I'm missing something here, but I don't see how you're getting this to work.
If you're reduced to 0 or fewer, you're still dazed, even though you're conscious and have a standard action (or more from feats). So, if you're dazed, how do you get the WLMR immediate action, or the Lightning Rush immediate action, or generally get the build to work? If you're relying on it working from turn 1, you haven't got them cursed, and you're neither bloodied nor below 0, so most of your additional sources of damage don't work. It seems to me that you're going to have different elements working in different situations - although they're all awesome elements! - rather than be able to stack all the things you have listed. I'm not sure that being below 0 is actually ideal for this build, even though a lot of elements rely on it.

Of course, once you get Superior Will which you have listed at 24 you have a chance of not being dazed, so if that's your answer do you think the build would actually work in play before then?

Revenant + Sub-Zero-Cheese. Mostly Ghostly Vitality.

Edit: None of the elements of subzerocheese says that you're NOT dazed, tho, if im not missing something. It only says that you get Standard+minor+move (even tho you're dazed), nothing about out of turn actions. So you made me wondering, as well...

Could someone please clear this up? I guess we're just missing something, but if one would still be dazed, that would've some impact, since that would mean -2 AC and would make OAs and IAs impossible.
ellored, do you (or anybody else) have an idea how to force enemies to attack a Retaliator-like build?

This is more a list of everything i could find that did retalating damage then an attempt at a functional build.  But it is a battlemind, with lighting rush.

If you're reduced to 0 or fewer, you're still dazed, even though you're conscious and have a standard action (or more from feats). So, if you're dazed, how do you get the WLMR immediate action, or the Lightning Rush immediate action, or generally get the build to work?

If you start below 0, and pre-save from superior will, your not dazed.  Stormhawk vengence doesn't care.

But yea, your not likely to get all the bonuses.  Hence why i said expect about half on any given attack.

guides
Power
my builds

I missed both, first, that Sup Will is so beautifully broken and second that this build already is a Battlemind. Wasn't attentive enough, when i read the first page... Thanks for answering, anyway.
ellored, do you (or anybody else) have an idea how to force enemies to attack a Retaliator-like build?

This is more a list of everything i could find that did retalating damage then an attempt at a functional build.  But it is a battlemind, with lighting rush.

If you're reduced to 0 or fewer, you're still dazed, even though you're conscious and have a standard action (or more from feats). So, if you're dazed, how do you get the WLMR immediate action, or the Lightning Rush immediate action, or generally get the build to work?

If you start below 0, and pre-save from superior will, your not dazed.  Stormhawk vengence doesn't care.

But yea, your not likely to get all the bonuses.  Hence why i said expect about half on any given attack.

Ahh, I misunderstood that part, I thought you meant you'll be getting a chance to make an interrupt attack in roughly every second round, and I couldn't see how you'd be doing that (off-turn) if you're only not-dazed in your own turn due to Sup Will. Thanks for clarifying, and I always like it when people tell me I'm right ;)

I really like the concept btw, and I think you've done a great job with it!