"One Bear" (THREE BEARS?!?!?) Mun'en, an exercise in... uh... something....?

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
So.  Most of my friends dislike (or even hate) 4ed.  I think it's okay, but haven't really gotten much chance to play it.  There are elements I like or don't like, and overall I'm fairly ambivalent to the game as a whole.

That said, it is my ongoing quest to do things in games that were not intentionally enabled, but generally don't break the game.  Fun things.  Interesting things.  Things like my moniker-granter, a character plan to make an unarmed/unarmored frontline combatant without using any Monk or even really equating to the Monk properly.

In this case, the idea is having a whole lot of bears.

Why bears?  Well, the original thought was 'how many places can I make this character occupy at once?'  Of course, one of the most visible advantages of being, say, a Shaman with a spirit companion, or a Ranger with a beast companion is the ability to threaten a lot of space with attacks of opportunity.  So what if I threaten -even more- space in that way?  How do I do that?

Along comes the PHB III and hybrid classing.  A quick look at the feats to go with it, and I suddenly realized that a Ranger/Shaman could have two companions on the board at all times- three areas of attack-of-opportunity aren't anything to sneeze at, even if there isn't any Marking going on, right?

Oh, hey, and this Shaman power summons a bear... and Rangers can have a bear... and the Spirit Companion can be a bear....

The question, really, is how effective can this character build be, while retaining the essential point of doing this in the first place- having a bunch of bears in several different places, thereby getting lots of attacks of opportunity and inflicting what I call 'chaos control' (no, nothing to do with any rainbow-hued gemstones- think instead of controlling the battlefield by applying chaos)?  What if it's a little different- bears are good for guardian spirits- so a character who's a Ranger/Shaman Striketroller, has a bear out there to be an obstacle, and keeps a bear with their allies to shelter and protect them?

So, I present "One Bear" Mun'en, who specializes in having two, or sometimes three, bears out on the field at once, despite starting off with only a single bear (and an insubstantial one, at that!).

Show

"One Bear" Mun'en
Longtooth Shifter
Hybrid Ranger/Shaman
Str 16 (14+Longtooth)
Con 16
Dex 13
Int 10
Wis 16 (14+Longtooth)
Cha 8

HP: 28 +5/lv
Healing Surges: 6+3
Saves: +1 Fort/+1 Ref
Trained Class Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Heal, Nature, Perception
Other Class Skills: Acrobatics, Arcane, Dungeoneering, History, Insight, Stealth, Religion
Racial Benefit: +2 Athletics/Endurance

Ranger Ability: Hybrid Quarry (Quarry only applies to Ranger powers)
Shaman Ability: Hybrid Spirit (Guardian [Bear], Healing Spirit as an Encounter power, Speak with Spirits as an Encounter power)
Shaman Implement: Totem
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple and Martial Melee/Ranged
Armor Proficiencies: Cloth/Leather

Reserved Feat: Lv2: Hybrid Talent (Beast Mastery, Bear- Bear companion with -1 on Attack rolls and Defenses)
Bear Defenses: AC 12+lv, Fort 14+lv, Ref 10+lv, Will 12+lv
Bear HP: 16+10/lv
Bear Attack: Claw Lv+2 vs AC, 1d12+Str damage

Reserved Feat: Lv 10: Initiate of the Old Faith (Druid Multi- gains Wild Shape (!), Nature (meh, already have), and one Druid Wild Shape At-Will to use once per encounter, enables the use of Druid implements (already have totems, but adds staves... guess we're going with a totem.  A.... CAT TOTEM!  No, just kidding.  Bear totem, duh.).) Note: I'd rather put a different multiclass feat here, maybe for Primal Aspect or Ritual Caster instead of Wild Shape + Wild Shape At Will, but since this is the ONLY multiclass feat to gain Druid multi... smerh.)

Reserved Feat: Lv 12: Adept Power (Druid Multi- replaces Bloodied Frenzy with Summon Proud Bear) (THIRD BEAR!)

Level 1 At-Will: Protecting Strike (PHB II pg121), Predator Strike (MP pg43)
Lv 1 Encounter: Certain Threat (PP pg66)
Lv 1 Daily: Blessing of the Seven Winds (PHB II pg122)
Lv2 Util: Hearten the Beast (MP pg45)
Lv3 Enc: Beast Latch (MP pg45)
Lv5 Day: Bloodied Frenzy (MP pg47)
Lv6 Util: Spirit Companion's Shelter (PP pg69)
Lv7 Enc: Winter Wind Spirit (PHB II pg125)
Lv9 Day: Bounding Beast (MPII pg38)
Lv10 Util: Rock Shield Spirits (PHB II pg126)

Paragon Path: Hybrid
Lv11 bonus Hybrid Talent feat: Spirit's Power (Shield)

Lv11 Enc (over Lv7): Fetch (MPII pg37)
Lv12 Util (over Lv10): Quick Recovery (MP pg50)
Lv13 Enc (over Lv1): Drawing All Eyes (PP pg72)
Lv15 Day (over Lv1): Reparative Spirit
Lv16 Util: Spirits of the Dancing Zephyr (PHB II pg127)
Lv17 Enc (over Lv7): Thorn Ally (PP pg74)
Lv20 Hybrid (Day): Great Bear Guardian (PHB II pg128) (FOURTH BEAR!)

Epic:  Undecided.  Is there something that could boost both (all three)(all four) companions?  Or maybe something that'll add a third (fourth)(fifth?!?)?  I don't have immediate access to all of the Dragon magazines and such- just the older ones....

Lv22 Util: Fleet of Foot (MP pg43)
Lv23 Enc (Over Lv3): Chase Down (MP pg55)
Lv25 Day (Over Lv9): Pursuit of the Wild Hunt (MP pg56)
Lv27 Enc (Over Lv13): Conquering Storm Spirit (PP pg77)
Lv29 Day (Over Summon Proud Bear): Summon Proud Mastodon Reflavored to Summon Proud Arctotherium (PP pg50)

As you can see, the spirit bear is mostly to protect allies, and helps flank from friendly lines.  The physical bear runs out into battle to flank, take attacks of opportunity, and sometimes add some damage of its own.  And the character themself tends to trade off between sharing the physical bear's position and operating as a mini-Leader- not only to their allies, but to both bears!

I haven't decided on what to grab for feats, though, I don't know what to aim for in the Epic tier outside of more Shaman/Ranger powers, and I'm not certain I've done the best job of picking powers to fully utilize the having of two bears on the battlefield at once.

I'm not looking to change the concept to make the character better, but that just means making sure I keep three things:

1) Hybrid Shaman/Ranger
2) Hybrid Talent: Beast Mastery
3) Powers that use both bears
4) Lots of bears.

Any decent advice is welcome.  Anyone telling me 'don't make this character' will be ignored while saying that or something similar.  I don't want to know what character to make, I want to know how to make this character as good as they can be.

Thanks!

-NMoD
MC Druid to turn into a bear ;)

Or, probably better, Hybridise Druid and Ranger to begin with, and MC Shaman, then you have access to the many Druid summons.  You can really plug up an encounter by doing this though, so I'd be inclined to avoid it.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Just another fun option, would be to skip Predator Strike, and go with Warning Shot. I'd also go panther instead of bear shaman, though you can still call your companion a bear if you want. The Panther Shaman's opportunity attack is just a bit scarier. And keep in mind you only get one opportunity action per turn, so you're not going to get tons of opportunity attacks per turn if an enemy decides to move all over the place, you still just get one.

For your level 10 utility, you might want to consider Spirit Summons, for a second Spirit Companion.
You really shouldn't play this character without heavy bear pun optimization.

Another option is to MC paladin and pick up Call Celestial Steed Bear, (which you ride bear back).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I would mention what the result of bear cavalry would be, but it violates the Forum Code of Conduct.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I want you to know that, now that I've read this thread, I NEED to play this character at some point. I heavily approve of this thread and look forward to seeing many amazing things come out of it. Here, have a flag.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Hmm, if I was your DM, this would be the point I would drink the rocket edition of powerthirst.  Time to go "Bear Blasting" and probably get in some good "Hump Catting."
I would mention what the result of bear cavalry would be, but it violates the Forum Code of Conduct.

Yeah, you're pretty much... *ahem* multiplied.

But yes, the Celestial Battle Tiger is awesome (refluff as a bear, obviously), as is a Ranger riding his bear.  It would be very cool if the Sentinel could qualify for Beast Rider, too, but sadly it requires the Beast Mastery class feature, and you can't get that on a Sentinel.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I want you to know that, now that I've read this thread, I NEED to play this character at some point.

You could call it a simple bear necessity of life!

New signature under development.
Wait, there's more!  There's a concept to go with this.

So.  Mun'en.  He's a Shifter.  He's been ridiculed all his life.  Why?  Because he's -dead sure- that there are bears.  Wherever he goes there are bears.  At least two of them.  But nobody else can see them!  Why doesn't anyone believe him?

I mean, sure, they see his spirit bear, but that's hardly the only bear.  Look!  Over there!  Behind that- no, you just missed it.

Hence his nickname 'One Bear'.  'One Bear' Mun'en's nickname comes from all the people telling him over and over that there's -only one bear-.  Mun'en is a very unhappy camper, and eventually he finally gives up and goes off to see if he can find someone who'll believe him that there are three bears there.  Hey, look, adventurers!  They're accepting people, right?  Now if he just approaches this slowly and obliquely....

And then he hits level 2.... and THERE'S THAT DAMN BEAR!  You see it, right?  Right?  You see the second bear?

And suddenly his worldview is validated.  Triumphant, he returns to his tribe with his new BEST FRIENDS EVER.  Who believed him and look!  There are TWO BEARS!

So.... maybe there's another bear?  Maybe even two more?

Of course, the spirit bear spends a lot of time hiding (underground, etc.), so not even his -allies- are sure where all the bears are, nevermind how many there -actually- are.

Mun'en doesn't want to -be- a bear... he's just glad that the rest of his friends believe him about his first two friends (the spirit bear and the friendly grizzly who's been following him forever- literally, forever).  Poor guy.

MC Druid to turn into a bear ;)

Or, probably better, Hybridise Druid and Ranger to begin with, and MC Shaman, then you have access to the many Druid summons.  You can really plug up an encounter by doing this though, so I'd be inclined to avoid it.

I like bear summon, but that's just a single Level 9 Daily.  I guess it might be worth the two feats for it, just so that eventually it can be 'Four Bears' Mun'en.  But he's -really- not supposed to be druidic.  Interesting suggestion, though.

Just another fun option, would be to skip Predator Strike, and go with Warning Shot. I'd also go panther instead of bear shaman, though you can still call your companion a bear if you want. The Panther Shaman's opportunity attack is just a bit scarier. And keep in mind you only get one opportunity action per turn, so you're not going to get tons of opportunity attacks per turn if an enemy decides to move all over the place, you still just get one.

For your level 10 utility, you might want to consider Spirit Summons, for a second Spirit Companion.

Actually, that's an important point.  The Opportunity Attacker is the bear companion (until level 10), who otherwise mostly moves around and is a big body in the way providing flanking.  The Spirit Companion provides the other bonuses- Shaman powers and the companion itself let the companion act as a shelter for allies, with things like its Spirit Boon, the side effect of Healing Spirit, Winter Wind Spirit, and other such.

Once Spirit's Power comes in, though, that switches around and Mun'en starts using the Beast bear to attack with, swapping out Spirit effects that launch when he uses an offensive power for things that let his Spirit Bear perform Attacks of Opportunity and otherwise aid allies in combat.  Mun'en, being a Striker/Leader/Controller hybrid with poor combat defenses should not be putting himself in position to opportunity attack, that's what the bears are for. 

You really shouldn't play this character without heavy bear pun optimization.

Another option is to MC paladin and pick up Call Celestial Steed Bear, (which you ride bear back).

I don't think the poor thing could bear up under the conditions, but that's mostly guesswork- I can bearly find what I need to have up to four bears, and one of those is a Level 9 power summon, which means it won't bear much injury before giving in.  Unless that ability scales, in which case I'd have to tell a bear-faced lie to claim I wasn't interested in knowing where to find it, as I haven't got anything that tells me about it which I can locate.

Bear with, dear reader.

I want you to know that, now that I've read this thread, I NEED to play this character at some point. I heavily approve of this thread and look forward to seeing many amazing things come out of it. Here, have a flag.

Hooray, bear flag!  Feel free to use the build.  Just remember- he's a poor unfortunate guy who nobody will believe about the omnipresence of those bears!  It's not that he doesn't like the bears, they're great... well, not people exactly, but you know.  If only people would believe him!

Hmm, if I was your DM, this would be the point I would drink the rocket edition of powerthirst.  Time to go "Bear Blasting" and probably get in some good "Hump Catting."

That's a foul mistreatment of ursine entities!  Bears are not meant to be blasted!

Yeah, you're pretty much... *ahem* multiplied.

But yes, the Celestial Battle Tiger is awesome (refluff as a bear, obviously), as is a Ranger riding his bear.  It would be very cool if the Sentinel could qualify for Beast Rider, too, but sadly it requires the Beast Mastery class feature, and you can't get that on a Sentinel.

Where do I get this celestial battle bear?

I want you to know that, now that I've read this thread, I NEED to play this character at some point.

You could call it a simple bear necessity of life!

This isn't even bearly what I'd call simple.  In its bearest state, it's an almost unbearable burden on the battlefield, your enemies won't be able to bear all the flanking that goes on.

Now if only the bears could all hide really well.....
Call Celestial Steed is a Paladin Utility 4.  You'd need to power-swap for it.  The Celestial Battle Tiger Bear is a feat which upgrades the Celestial Charger you get from the default power.

DOn't forget, though, that you can reflavour your summons.  Summon Crocodile?  No.  Summon Polar Bear.  Summon Pack Wolf?  No, Grizzly Bear.  Etc.
Call Celestial Steed is a Paladin Utility 4.  You'd need to power-swap for it.  The Celestial Battle Tiger Bear is a feat which upgrades the Celestial Charger you get from the default power.

DOn't forget, though, that you can reflavour your summons.  Summon Crocodile?  No.  Summon Polar Bear.  Summon Pack Wolf?  No, Grizzly Bear.  Etc.

Paladin Utility what?  I see only 2 and 6 here.... and no sign of Call Celestial Steed in either PHB or Divine Power.  What book is it in?
Utility 4.  It's from Dragon #393, and originates from an article about Cavaliers.  By the rules as written, it is available for power-swap, though some people will definitely argue otherwise.

Wouldn't it work for halflings (and gnomes/kobolds/other small races...?).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Can't remember the Mounted Combat rules offhand, but I think the rule is that the mount has to be Large or bigger, no matter what the size of the rider.  Beast Rider is an exception.

Definitely going to do this, makes a much more attractive option than Quick Recovery- wonder how I missed that to begin with?

MC Druid to turn into a bear.

Doing this... but not to turn into a bear, no.  Going to do it to SUMMON a bear.  Probably use that to overwrite Bounding Beast.... and then grab the nicest Druid summon I can think of at level 29 and turn it into a bear.

....muahahaha.  "One Bear" Mun'en will have -five- bears!  That's.... that actually promises to be a really awesome one combat a day with the three extra bears.  Or three fairly nice tri-bear combats.

Hmmm.

Edits up in a little bit, got a couple errands to run.

Hmmmm.......... Summon Storm Kodiak, anyone.....?

I created a build on a somewhat similar concept once...

Differences:

* There is no longer a way to multi-class two ways, unless you're a primary non-hybrid Bard which really reduces options for multiple pets, or an epic Bard (including multiclass) which is a long time to wait to get the basic concept working. (If I'm mistaken about this, someone PLEASE tell me!)

* I don't recommend Swarm Druid for this. Bears don't swarm.

Some things I discovered along the ways:

* The ONLY way at that time to get an Animal Companion was to be a primary Ranger - hybrid is OK but multiclass won't do. (Now Sentinel Druids get them but can't hybrid. And you can't multiclass into Sentinel Druid either.)

* Druids have by far the best summons for multi-pet characters. If you want summoning, you want to be a primary Druid - again, hybrid is OK. Druids (other than Sentinel, but this one includes multiclass) also get Wild Shape.

I never noticed the Paladin's Celestial Steed; I am not sure it was an option at the time I did that build. But it wouldn't have been suitable for my concept anyway. It would work much better for yours.
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose

* I don't recommend Swarm Druid for this. Bears don't swarm.

I giggled at this.

* Druids have by far the best summons for multi-pet characters. If you want summoning, you want to be a primary Druid - again, hybrid is OK. Druids (other than Sentinel, but this one includes multiclass) also get Wild Shape.

Considering this, but I'm not at all familiar with the Shaman multiclass feats.  I seriously doubt those will get you a Spirit Companion around all the time though, and part of the point is that "One Bear" always has -at least- two bears on hand, because two of them are permanent.

If someone -does- know a way to multiclass into Shaman and pick up the companion that way, that would then let me run Ranger/Druid for bear and summons and sideline Shaman for Companion and that bear spirit Daily as well... but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Updated first post now with changes to enable Druid Bear Summoning and now Mun'en can become his own fifth bear if he's really desperate...... this is getting kind of frightening, actually.  Bears.... EVERYWHERE!!!  I like it.

He summons a bear and a bear to support his bear and his bear while he takes a moment to turn into a bear.
I'm not at all familiar with the Shaman multiclass feats.  I seriously doubt those will get you a Spirit Companion around all the time though, and part of the point is that "One Bear" always has -at least- two bears on hand, because two of them are permanent.

If someone -does- know a way to multiclass into Shaman and pick up the companion that way, that would then let me run Ranger/Druid for bear and summons and sideline Shaman for Companion and that bear spirit Daily as well... but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

There is exactly one way to multiclass into Shaman, namely the "Spirit Talker" feat, and it does exactly what you want.

(Except for one detail: a Spirit Companion disappears when the character is unconscious, and must be re-Called when the character awakens. This is a minor action for a primary Shaman, a standard action for multiclass. Outside of combat, the time consumed doesn't really matter and the character might not realize he's doing it.)
"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
You need the Arcane Familiar feat so you can get a bear familiar.

www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/d...

Yep, that's why the Crazy Cat Lady has two multiclasses. (And the Windrise Ports background used to allow this, but was rewritten and now doesn't.)

This would be great if it weren't for the fact that the familiar only has 1 HP and even that bear familiar is tiny and not terribly combat useful.  I'll take Druid summoning over that unquestionably.  Thanks for the thought though!

Looks like Mun'en is going to need a total overhaul since Shaman multiclassing grants the spirit and Druid as one of the two hybrid classes causes much bear summonry.  Particularly since, at the same time, I -really- want all bears in combat to be effective at doing something.  Especially since the summoned bears can act independently, which will make it somewhat easier to handle.

Thanks for the help so far!  Go bears!

This is going to take quite a bit of paper.  o_o
Thrallherd gives you another *static* body on the field, and can even be a natural beast. Only problem is that PP requires Psion and uses Int for attacks (even thrall attacks). Thus Int is pretty much required. Mind controlled bears!

Would definately require some creative use of stat arrays (BM Ranger/Psion MC Shaman for the spirit companion that gives an ally an attack for an OA)? That, or go Ranger/Bard and MC everything.

Also, if you are focusing on using your "bears" to block, pick up the Horse (refluffed as bear) companion. Large size = fun to hide behind.
Okay, first to establish the bits of crunch needed for this:

Hybrid Druid/Ranger

Needed for bear summoning.

Spirit Talker (level 1) gets the first bear- a Shaman Spirit Bear.

Daily Summon Power (level 1) gets the second bear- a Summon

Hybrid Talent (level 2) gets the third bear- a Ranger Beast.  This is the only bear that's around all the time, 24/7.  The spirit bear goes away when Mun'en sleeps, and the summons only last for a combat.

Mending Spirit (level 4) gets the all important Healing Spirit power that makes the spirit bear do more than just provide an interesting AoO choice.

Daily power (level 5) has to be something that uses the Ranger bear as well as possible.  By the time the character has the full set of two Encounters and two Dailies, the Bear Beast should be a good thing to have running around in combat to do AoOs and should also have some nice 'bear runs into position and mauls something (or at least tries very hard to maul something) powers.

Daily powers after that should either replace the level 5 daily with a better bear placement, or be bear-flavored summonings.  Which are far more delicious and less hairy than bear flavored ice cream.

Paragon path should be something that makes having bears (either summoned, spirit, or as a beast) FREAKING AWESOME.  Because, c'mon, bears.

Epic path will ideally do even more with this.

Level 20 Daily should, if there is no really nice summon to bearulate at that level, be Great Bear Guardian, because that's a nice spirit to plant in front of allies to protect them.

Thus far, this setup consumes three feats- two to shaman bear of goodness, and one to get the bear from ranger.  Which leaves most of the feats for making the bears better in some way rather than obtaining them in the first place- this is good and highly cheerable.  At least one of these feats should probably go into making the Always There Bear use the Hybrid Quarry effect from being half-Ranger.

By count, then, that's One Always There Bear, One Sometimes There Bear, two Come Here Bears and one Look At Me, I'm A Bear; for a total of five bears, three of them available at all times.

Character's going to run around with a Totem, because that functions for both Shaman and Druid, and a bow because he turns into a bear for melee, but archery is nice with a Beast.

This sounds about right, right?
Thrallherd gives you another *static* body on the field, and can even be a natural beast. Only problem is that PP requires Psion and uses Int for attacks (even thrall attacks). Thus Int is pretty much required. Mind controlled bears!

Would definately require some creative use of stat arrays (BM Ranger/Psion MC Shaman for the spirit companion that gives an ally an attack for an OA)? That, or go Ranger/Bard and MC everything.

Also, if you are focusing on using your "bears" to block, pick up the Horse (refluffed as bear) companion. Large size = fun to hide behind.

Thrallherd is interesting, but then there are only three bears.  Druid lets there be up to five at once!

And no, I'm not going to go bard and take some absurd number of feats to the face to have more bears, there's a point where making the bears strong is more effective than having more bears, and I think Ranger/Druid with a side of Shaman is it.
Can't remember the Mounted Combat rules offhand, but I think the rule is that the mount has to be Large or bigger, no matter what the size of the rider.  Beast Rider is an exception.

This is no longer true as of May 2010 errata, so long as it is one size larger than yourself.
HAY GUSY LOL! I think this character needs to be named Alamo if you go Druid.  OK, Sum durids is bare. ref: www.wowwiki.com/Alamo
(Not because of the previous poster though, that's just an amusing coincidence.)

Lets face it, with the E-Druid being a leader...

"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I would like to see you turn into a bear, and then ride your steed bear into battle. Of course, with multiple bears following closely behind.

This would be great if it weren't for the fact that the familiar only has 1 HP and even that bear familiar is tiny and not terribly combat useful.  I'll take Druid summoning over that unquestionably.  Thanks for the thought though!

Looks like Mun'en is going to need a total overhaul since Shaman multiclassing grants the spirit and Druid as one of the two hybrid classes causes much bear summonry.  Particularly since, at the same time, I -really- want all bears in combat to be effective at doing something.  Especially since the summoned bears can act independently, which will make it somewhat easier to handle.

Thanks for the help so far!  Go bears!

This is going to take quite a bit of paper.  o_o

Many people seem to overlook the following. There's a paragon path called "traveler's harlequin", which allows you to ignore the "only one multiclass feat" rule and gives you one for free at LV 11. It requires you to worship "the traveler" though (an eberon deity). It also has some nice other features, so you should definately check it. With this you can take MC shaman and any arcane MC feat, to qualify for arcane familiar. I'd recommend you to take one that gives you ritual casting for free, like learned spellcaster or bardic ritualist (gives also some free rituals and you can do one bard ritual for free per day).

The ritual "familiar mount" turns your familiar into a large creature with HP 5+1/2 your level, for only 25 gold. It also gives him an additional "life", so if he's destroyed during combat, he changes into passive mode instead (changing active/passive mode is a minor action for you).

Familiars don't have attacks, but some of them have nice active benefits. For example, the coure attendant (refluffed to an eladrin/feywild bear) has an encounter power, that makes enemies in 2 squares of it grant CA to you (and to most of your bears). Or the tiny gelatinous cube is always invisible. This would make a cool large invisible gelatinous bear (maybe it's the one you described in your first post, that was never there).

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

Familiars don't have attacks, but some of them have nice active benefits. For example, the coure attendant (refluffed to an eladrin/feywild bear) has an encounter power, that makes enemies in 2 squares of it grant CA to you (and to most of your bears). Or the tiny gelatinous cube is always invisible. This would make a cool large invisible gelatinous bear (maybe it's the one you described in your first post, that was never there).

A giant clear gummi bear?

Thrallherd is interesting, but then there are only three bears.  Druid lets there be up to five at once!

And no, I'm not going to go bard and take some absurd number of feats to the face to have more bears, there's a point where making the bears strong is more effective than having more bears, and I think Ranger/Druid with a side of Shaman is it.

Psions have summons as well now. =p. 6 bears > 5 bears!
I am trying to make this just for fun, but I am trying to figure out a way to do druid/ranger/MC Shaman and also gain an arcane familiar. I can't figure out how to do it by level 11?

Dont think you can, without being a Bard.

Traveller's Harlequin.  Paragon Path requires worshipping The Traveller, an Eberron god, having an MC, and Bluff training, which you should just about be able to swing ;)  Allows you to MC more than once, and gets you a free MC feat at 11th.  You would use your other 11th feat for Arcane Familiar.
Traveller's Harlequin.  Paragon Path requires worshipping The Traveller, an Eberron god, having an MC, and Bluff training, which you should just about be able to swing ;)  Allows you to MC more than once, and gets you a free MC feat at 11th.  You would use your other 11th feat for Arcane Familiar.

Disadvantage of this is, that you can't take the PP "Thrallherd", which would also fit the bear style nicely, when you're already a psion.

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

You might take the Animal Master theme and bring in Baby Bear...
This thread seems to have been necro'd....but since it's such an AWESOME topic, and has missed some important things over the last several months, I suppose it bears resurrecting.  Particularly, it's now possibly to Hybrid sentinel for an additional bear.  Given the strength of the Sentinel multiclass, I think it bears at least a modicum of examination .

As a side note, I noticed familiars mentioned...and yet no one mentioned taking Oso De La Fez!!?  What the heck? 
As a side note, I noticed familiars mentioned...and yet no one mentioned taking Oso De La Fez!!?  What the heck? 

Seriously. My DM would probably give me the arcane familiar feat, even as a non arcane class, simple to have oso de la fez. Cause that animal is bearly holding it together, ya know, up top.

Also, I'm glad this thread got necro'd. I never would have seen this and needed to make an army of bears if it hadn't. 
Nothing ursinal but what  do you wish to bear by filling the map full of bears? Stephen Colbert would hate you for this.

As noted above, you can't call yourself a bear master if you don't have Oso de la Fez.

Hybrid ranger/sentinel MC shaman, animal master theme= 4 bears. Summons= more