Release events?

142 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is it just me or is it strange that there has been no announcement yet about release events? Usually we get the prerelease news and release event news at about the same time, but we still only have the prerelease news. Given that release events should theoretically be starting next week, I'm wondering if something is up. Or have I just missed the announcement?
I think its a little odd that they didn't announce both at the same time. I'm guessing that the announcement will appear Wednesday. The delay might have something to do with the faction-stuff. Maybe there's some last minute decisions being made. I hope the delay isn't due to Magic Weekend Paris.
They did the same thing for scars.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
They did the same thing for scars.

Yes, and then for Masters Edition IV they announced both at the same time. I guess they are trying to keep us guessing.

SOM and M11 announcements were made a week apart.  The MBS release events announcement will be up sometime today. 
Can't wait to see if they use their fancy new multiple entry options to let us use packs on the sealed swiss queues.
I heard we're supposed to post in green if we don't like the new forums.
Some people specifically asked for it, so probably not. ;)
And... no dice. Every event but the sealed swiss has a tix only or product+tix option.

Also, whats with no release card for the sealed event pack? I see they changed the champs from "everyone gets a foil promo" to "everyone gets a normal promo, top64 get foil".

Oh well, now theres no reason to even visit the store for a release
Can we assume there's a typo in the entry fee line for the Top 8 draft events?

ENTRY REQUIREMENT: 30 Event Tickets OR 6 Event Tickets plus product OR 1 Mirrodin Besieged Release Event Pack.
PRODUCT: 2 Scars of Mirrodin booster packs and 1 Mirrodin Besieged booster pack. Magic Online will provide 2 Scars of Mirrodin booster packs and 1 Mirrodin Besieged booster pack for the "Top 8" booster draft.

As written, it's 30 tix or 6 tix + 3 packs (which is.. far less than 30 tix).  I'm guessing that was supposed to be 18 tix?
Kind of awkward to specifically make sure the swiss sealed is the ONLY event that doesnt get multiple entry options. Have to love the logic sometimes "a format is seeing a lot of play? Lets scale back prizes and make it as unplayable as possible and see how it does".
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.
Kind of awkward to specifically make sure the swiss sealed is the ONLY event that doesnt get multiple entry options. Have to love the logic sometimes "a format is seeing a lot of play? Lets scale back prizes and make it as unplayable as possible and see how it does".

I'm giving the slight, almost nonexistant, benefit of the doubt on it since the multiple entry options thing is still so new and they've said they want to roll it out slowly.  I think it probably has a lot more to do with the sealed swiss being the only event which doesn't cost extra tickets on top of the 4-per pack price, and therefore if there was a 6-pack entry option could be entered with winnings only.  But I'm not 100% ready to roll my eyes at the whole situation yet (just 99%).
Looks like they copy pasted the Premier Sealed Top 8 info  to the 64 Premier man drafts.  This doesn't seem right. 

product + 6 tix   (instead of 4 tix)  for a MASSIVE price increase?  (basically a 10+ jackpot-6-3-3 draft) instead of the normal  6+ 4-2-2   which is nalready an upgrade over regular 4-3-2-2 drafts 

Looks like they copy pasted the Premier Sealed Top 8 info  to the 64 Premier man drafts.  This doesn't seem right. 

product + 6 tix   (instead of 4 tix)  for a MASSIVE price increase?  (basically a 10+ jackpot-6-3-3 draft) instead of the normal  6+ 4-2-2   which is nalready an upgrade over regular 4-3-2-2 drafts 

...And 30tix OR product plus 6 tix for the draft does not seem right. Because 3 boosters + 6 tix = 18 tix =/= 30 Tix
Yeah the entire 64-man draft description must be wrong. No way they are paying 3 booster for the first win.

I have come to accept that the system they have for posting announcements must be horrible as there is no way their proofreader could so reliably miss something huge nearly every release.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
why are you suprised? how many release announcements you have seen without error so far? i think a primary school kid could have done a better job.

Hey all,

The 64-Player Premier Drafts are correct in both entry requirement options and prize structure. 

Thanks,
Chris

So it's 30 tix or 6 packs + 6 tix for a single elimination draft?  That's crazy.  I guess it is a way to make people pay for the second draft up front.

Is it not possible to please make a round robin draft PE?  I would join with this price structure if it wasn't single elimination.
It say 30 tix or 6 tix plus product an the product is 2 scars and 1 besieged booster.... So there is a 12 tix premium fit paying with tix only..... That is just dumb. Or wrong.
it says magic online provides the boosters for the top 8 draft
It say 30 tix or 6 tix plus product an the product is 2 scars and 1 besieged booster.... So there is a 12 tix premium fit paying with tix only..... That is just dumb. Or wrong.

If it does let you join with 3 packs and 6 tix as it says then those prizes are insane.  That would mean they added 2 tix to 64 man drafts and doubled the prizes.  These were already the most popular events and filled up days ahead of time!  What will doubling the prizes do?
Assuming that the 30 tix entry fee is correct this means they went from .56 prize to entry fee ratio to .49 (based on 4 tix a pack)
Assuming that the 30 tix entry fee is correct this means they went from .56 prize to entry fee ratio to .49 (based on 4 tix a pack)

But why would you even look at the 30 tix entry if the 3 packs + 6 tix is true?  That would be an unheard of .82 prize to entry fee ratio.  No one is ever going to pay 30 tix.
Because it cannot possibly be correct.
It's correct, they just forgot to mention that Mirrodin Besieged boosters will sell for 7.99 in the store instead of 3.99.

Hey all,

The 64-Player Premier Drafts are correct in both entry requirement options and prize structure. 

Thanks,
Chris

It is so wrong, you wouldnt believe
Maybe they are "lucky pax" that are guaranteed to have a planeswalker in each pack?

HUMAN PM ME!!#!@!@
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isred.jpg)
Let's hold them to it.  If Chris says it's correct (which means 3 packs + 6 tix) after we specifically ask to confirm, we shouldn't be okay with them retracting it later.
Sorry, the middle portion of the entry fee was incorrect for the drafts.  I misread the original post. 

Correct entry fees are:  30 Event Tickets OR 18 Event Tickets and 3 Boosters OR Release Event Pack. 

Sorry for any confusion. 
Chris
another event to stay away then.
so funny. the 64-man drafts are really popular and always fire. let's see if we can soak em for more money! anyone who thinks wotc isn't just enron with pretty pictures is deluded.
Ya, that's pretty much what I assumed it was initially (though 6 packs + 6 tix would have been a good option too).  As it stands this is the most rediculous gamble ever.  30 tix for a single game of magic.  Only the top rated or supremely over confident would try that.

I had a hard time joining 64 man drafts when it was 16 tix (and I'm 1850 - 1900).  Make these Swiss!  I'll be sticking to sealed queues thanks.
So that means the payout of 236 total packs on 1920 total entry fee is actually worse than a regular ole 8-4 or Swiss... Even if they gave 4 packs for 17-32 it would still not be as good as the old 16 tix entry fee ones....

Very lame.
So I forgot to include the 24 top 8 packs in my prize calculations... Prize payout is down ,541667 for the new structure vs. .652344 for old and .65625 for Swiss sealed.

Definitely not playing these due to first round loss being devastating in a play for you money calculation.
so funny. the 64-man drafts are really popular and always fire. let's see if we can soak em for more money! .

very good summary. now, all they need to do is cancel all daily events that hit to the same time.
Really awkward change. Take these from really played to terrible in one swoop. I am pretty sure I get the logic behind it "they always fill up and we dont have time slots to add more so the only way to make more money here is to increase the price". I am sure the players will notice the worse than 8-4 payouts though :/
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.
Would anyone be so understanding if they walked into a store because the flyer said one price, asked an employee, were told the flyer was right and then were told it was wrong when they got to the cash register?

I guess it just shows how low our expectations of WotC have become.  I'd say that's embarassing for WotC, but I think really it's more sad for the players who are willing to put up with it.
DCI Certified Level 2 Judge
Thats too bad, I enjoyed playing the 64man drafts. A 4tic premium for the chance at better prizes than a 4322 queue was fine. A 16tic premium isn't worth it, even with the higher payouts. I can almost play 3 drafts for that.

My release event attendance peaked at zendikar and has steadily been going down with every release since. Seems this release will be an all time low for me. Don't even have to visit the store since theres no release card in the sealed event pack.
I really hope that everyone else feels the same way I do about the entry fee and these fail... And get replaced with the 16 tix variety...

30 tix woulda been fine if these were Swiss and you were guaranteed two drafts...
Yeah I agree.  These Top 8 drafts are really just.. not good.  Bottom line, paying 30 tix for a single elimination event is just crazy and I doubt many people are going to subject themselves to it.  I've looked over my options and it looks like, once again, despite the other offerings, I'll be sticking with Sealed Swiss 16-man flights. 
I really hope that everyone else feels the same way I do about the entry fee and these fail... And get replaced with the 16 tix variety... 30 tix woulda been fine if these were Swiss and you were guaranteed two drafts...

From memory the 64 man drafts used to be like that, but the prizes were only for the top 16 so for some people the second draft was a rare draft fest because you weren't getting prizes anyway.

The price baffles me, I for one am certainly not paying $30 to enter cause you know its the match you get mana screwed. 
lol at these entry fees wizards just lol; do you really think you can treat customers as sheep? 18 tix plus product for a draft is just way out of the line, you know guys this is not poker right? I suppose you know that as prizes don't relate.