Sooner Dead

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anyone reading this?  How is it?  Recommended?

I'm not familiar with this author. 
I believe this is the thread you are looking for...
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Sooner Dead is awesome. Had no interest in GW till i read this. Much grittier than i imagined. Great commentary on what it means to be human, or on the humanity inside seemingly inhuman beings. Mel Odom did a fantastic job. I would love to know how close the authors follow the rules of the game in relation to the novels they write, not just this one, but all of the D&D novels.....
I'm about 1/3 through this (read a chapter or two on the train most workdays).  It's a pretty decent story so far and they've taken pains to include the new Gamma World's powers in the characters. 

Without going spoilery (the cover shows everything I'm talking about). For example, the lead human may well be an engineered human with some omega tech she's 'salvaged' or might be a human with a mutation/mechanical augmentation.

Basically, if you wanted to, you could make the characters very easily using the latest Gamma World rules. 
I'm about 1/3 through this (read a chapter or two on the train most workdays).  It's a pretty decent story so far and they've taken pains to include the new Gamma World's powers in the characters. 

Without going spoilery (the cover shows everything I'm talking about). For example, the lead human may well be an engineered human with some omega tech she's 'salvaged' or might be a human with a mutation/mechanical augmentation.

Basically, if you wanted to, you could make the characters very easily using the latest Gamma World rules. 

I'm actually not sure I agree with you on that. I don't think the main two characters (later in the book, three) are buildable under the Gamma World rules as they stand now, without additional origins.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

Sooner Dead is awesome. Had no interest in GW till i read this. Much grittier than i imagined. Great commentary on what it means to be human, or on the humanity inside seemingly inhuman beings. Mel Odom did a fantastic job. I would love to know how close the authors follow the rules of the game in relation to the novels they write, not just this one, but all of the D&D novels.....

I couldn't wait to get this book (I was born in Oklahoma so I'm a "sooner born and a sooner bred and when I die I'll be a sooner dead" as per the song) but got stalled out in the first few pages. I'll have to give it a shot again, since you liked it so much.

Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playing 5E D&D and liking it! OD&D player since 1975

I'm actually not sure I agree with you on that. I don't think the main two characters (later in the book, three) are buildable under the Gamma World rules as they stand now, without additional origins.

The bisonoid could be a Seismic Yeti.  The female human could be played as noted above.  They had a simian mutant.  They had a cockroach mutant.  They had a pyrokinetic human.  They had one with gravitic powers.  Sounds pretty easily copied from the rules in the books I bought. 

Maybe they exhibit more powers later in the book?  As with all RPG things though, YMMV.
Well, the bisonoid can outrun the giant lizard mount and doesn't seem to be resistant to physical attacks. And the woman's powers are nothing like the engineered human.

A few minor characters seem to be compatible with D&D Gamma World rules superficially -- although not to the extent of being player characters. (E.g., most would be single-origin types.)

I'm not saying I disliked the book -- my review of Sooner Dead is coming soon, not really saying where yet though -- but I do feel that the primary characters aren't actually playable as D&D Gamma World PCs, as written.

Gamma World Downloads: Character sheets, GM screen, adventures, monsters, house rules, cards, and more! You can usually find my posts at the Gamma World forum.

I read it in about 2 days and I loved it! Great stuff. Really fun read and well paced. I didn't feel there was a slow bit in the book.

I think Stampede (the bisonoid) has got to be a different kind of Origin. He doesn't have claws and he runs really fast. And Hella's nano stuff seemed to do quite a bit. Not really sure how she would be made, but perhaps there might be some extras for that in Dragon or something. Or not. I was glad they were keeping it freash! 
Ordered it on Amazon. Hope to read it soon.
I got 2/3 through a great fun read.   I think Hella is a android engineered human.  I think her weapons are just creative narration on "heavy weapons"  Stampede is diffently seismic/ bisonoid.  No bisonoid origins  yet though.  But the character Silence is classis pyrokenitic.

There are many things from the GW source material and things that are not.  Sheldons, 'chines and ripple tentacle monsters are something new.

Anyway it was diffently post apocolyptic.
I haven't read the book yet, but it seems (from this thread, and also my imagination) like Bisonoid would be a great reflavoring of Wheeled (perhaps as a secondary origin, thereby eliminating any reliance on "Dark").
I am re-reading Sooner Dead now, and searched Sheldon to see if anyone had stated them out yet.  Turns out no, but I'm sure I can make them if I want to.  Sooner Dead is a really fun book and I decided to read it after reading Red Sails in the Fallout, another Gamma World Novel.
Great book!!!!! Loved  it from the first page!