Errors in LoG Origins

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
I posted the following errata a month ago, when the first preview of Legion of Gold was posted. I'm severly disappointed that these errors (many of them lazy) were not corrected by the time the book went to print. If you want my hard-earned money, lack of attention to detail like this is unacceptable. WotC, please think about the extent to which quality control is affecting consumer attitudes toward your products.

The original post:
57006878 wrote:
Let's hope the origins are going through at least one more edit before they head to print. There are a bunch of errors, both style and substance:

(1) The traits all say (Lv X), instead of (Level X).
(2) Effect of Luminous Shield is poorly written. Should probably read:

"Until the end of your next turn, the target gains temporary hit points equal to 5 + twice your level, and regains 10 additional hit points when the target uses his or her second wind."

(3) Effect of Barrier of Light is poorly written; it is ambiguous whether an enemy making an attack while adjacent to the wall is subject to the power's attack or the enemy's own attack. Should probably read:

"Whenever an enemy makes an attack while adjacent to the wall, repeat this power's attack again against the triggering enemy."

(4) Range of Eyes of the Vampire is improperly formatted. Should read: "Area burst 1 within 10 squares".
(5) Do What I Say has no target line. Should probably read "Target: One creature"

Here's hoping we can nip these errors in the bud before they go to print!!

Not sure a month's notice would be enough to fix a book put out in this large a release.  Not arguing it's okay to have these kinds of errors (can't delete all mistakes) but a month wouldn't likely have been advance notice enough to stop the presses.
Regardless, the "Lvl" typos were simple "find and replace" mistakes that a professional editing department should have caught and fixed.

The rest may have been a bit more insidious, but they were game rules format issues, which are REALLY important in WotC's line of work. But checking their rules formatting has never been WotC's forte. I mean, we're talking about a tradition that goes all the way back to the original Frozen Shade.
Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
You can't really expect much from a CCG company who is playing at RPGs and just pushing stuff out the door on a whim.

That said, I saw that they didn't fix the issues and figured that it was already too late. That and they probably send most of their editing to the toy department of the company.
I posted the following errata a month ago, when the first preview of Legion of Gold was posted. I'm severly disappointed that these errors (many of them lazy) were not corrected by the time the book went to print.

The books were most likely already printed or printing by the time you saw that preview.
If you want my hard-earned money, lack of attention to detail like this is unacceptable.

Although I understand your frustration, I want to ask you about the validity of this threat. If you had known *before* you bought it that LoG would still contain the errors you had identified, would you really have considered not buying it?
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
If you had known *before* you bought it that LoG would still contain the errors you had identified, would you really have considered not buying it?

Heh... well, he's one of the few people that absolutely knew about the errors ahead of time

Although I understand your frustration, I want to ask you about the validity of this threat. If you had known *before* you bought it that LoG would still contain the errors you had identified, would you really have considered not buying it?

I do not currently own Legion of Gold. I am seriously considering not buying it, particularly when compared to other products (Fortune Cards, Monster Vault) that are more well done.

I had a good feeling when I made the original post that the errors wouldn't be corrected. But that's beside the point. The point, as privateer and ChaoticGood have pointed out, is that most of the errors were inexcusable in the first place.

My "threat" wasn't designed to be a WotC thing, just an LoG thing. I feel much better spending my money on products that don't tick me off before I open the box.
I mean, we're talking about a tradition that goes all the way back to the original Frozen Shade.

I totally have some Frozen Shades kicking around somewhere...
I do not currently own Legion of Gold. I am seriously considering not buying it, particularly when compared to other products (Fortune Cards

See now, I decided not to buy fortune cards, particularly when there were more Gamma World products I'd rather have (i.e. I wanted to send WotC a message on the type of products I want them to focus on). So you pretty much canceled by my 'vote' ;)

The weapon powers also forgot ‘+ weapon accuracy' in the attack line. Probably a carryover from the fact that that is not explicitly stated in core 4e weapon powers.

Also, Excalibur, do you realize how much editing goes into TCGs? And how, this being an experimental side project probably means it has fewer resources to work with than core D&D products? Considering that, they did a great job with LoG.
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
And how, this being an experimental side project probably means it has fewer resources to work with than core D&D products? Considering that, they did a great job with LoG.

You're free to put things in context, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a base level of competency from a company I'm patronizing. You don't see record companies misspelling song names or letting a junky drum track slide just because an artist is "an experimental side product" or "has fewer resources to work with."

That's because attention to detail is a direct result of the pride you have in your product. It's clear that WotC doesn't take nearly enough pride in products like LoG (or the whole Gamma World line, for that matter). Because if they did, they'd correct all the glaring errors. If I was Rich Baker or Bruce Cordell, I'd be embarrassed at the way the final product turned out. But they're not, and it's because WotC knows they can shove whatever crap they want out the door and it'll still sell.

I think, as a community, we've been giving them too much of a pass.

[I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a base level of competency from a company I'm patronizing.

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill on this one. The products for Gamma World rock, even with errors. I think we're getting a helluva lot more than a "base level" of competency. I think Gamma World has distilled all the best mechanics of 4e into a quick-start, setting-specific, easy-to-grasp game.

As for your choise of word -- patronizing:

1. Betokening the condescension of a patron; condescendingly or superciliously favorable: as, a patronizing smile.

Your posts seem to carry just enough bitterness that perhaps you should step away from it. Write to customer service about your complaints. Let them know how you feel. But consider keeping the complaints off the Boards for a while. Some of us are coming to the Gamma World section because we actually like the game.

• Skills (p178-179)
      • Feats (p 192)
      A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
      And how, this being an experimental side project probably means it has fewer resources to work with than core D&D products? Considering that, they did a great job with LoG.

Just out of curiosity, would you say WotC has more, or less resources at their disposal than, say, Bold Pueblo? A one-woman operation that publishes free supplements on this very board? I'm asking because, frankly, it's rare to find these kinds of editing errors in Oraibi's work, even on first publication.

I'm not saying that I expect perfection from WotC. All I'm saying is that, given number of writers and developers they have on-staff, WotC could learn a lot from the community-driven writer-editor model... especially in terms of "experimental side projects."
      Encounters DM, Season 4 & Season 5 - Amorous Armadillo Game Shoppe - Oviedo, FL
      Your posts seem to carry just enough bitterness that perhaps you should step away from it. Write to customer service about your complaints. Let them know how you feel. But consider keeping the complaints off the Boards for a while. Some of us are coming to the Gamma World section because we actually like the game.

Seriously? We're going to censor the boards now? I'm not sure how much you've looked around these boards, but I've done more than my fair share of supporting the game. I give credit where credit is due. So, yeah, I think I have the right to levy a legitimate criticism (and I think almost all of us can agree it's legitimate) without being called patronizing. You're free to disagree with me, but keep the personal attacks to yourself.

And by the way, some people come to these boards to find out if Gamma World is a good product. They deserve to hear about both the good and bad parts.
        I like Gamma World.

Do the mistakes stand out? yes. 

Is it a bit less-than-professional, yes.

Would I not buy the next Gamma World product due to editing errors? no. 

I'll grant you that sloppy copy editing denotes some basic problematic issues present in many publishing industry companies, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker for a hobby company. A very large hobby, yes, but not The New Yorker, say.

I know posters have quite a few grievances with WoTC, but I was wondering why copy editing oversights seem to be so divisive? Do you folks feel the underlying game material is sub-standard as well? or, are you merely bothered by the lack of editorial attention to Gamma World proofs/galleys and the like?

Perhaps my less-than-ardent adherence to game mechanics is to blame for my ambivalent feelings regarding proofing these books, but I haven't noticed a gross negligence in the copy editing of other WoTC products.

I have noted that the DDI boards often bring up the problem that articles aren't released when promised. Sometimes a deadline being met comes at the cost of the most thorough vetting for a company with limited resources. I don't know if WoTC is such a company, but I do know I keep seeing the same names appearing on articles, books and forum posts. These are all content creators, suggesting to me that the talent pool is probably strained each month. If the creative end is strained, the editing end is going to be likewise strained.

Publishing in general has taken a huge (I mean epic) beating since the economic recession coupled with the rise of e-literature. (To say nothing of the other forms of entertainment that always beat the written word.) The end result is a industry trying to stay relevant and liquid while attempting to provide solid, creative content. It's not an easy balance to strike.

Should they be able to check their copy with accuracy? yes.

Do they have the resources necessary to do this and meet monthly deadlines? Debatable.

I can say with some certainty that boycotting products is only going to have an adverse effect on the company and gaming in general. I doubt they are moving product like they did in the 90s, and I sincerely doubt any gaming company will ever move paper product at those levels again.

I think you have to cut them a little slack for being in a niche market, within a niche industry whose broader industry base is being battered about like a red-haired step child on nickel night at stepdad's local bar.

My two cents.

Seriously? We're going to censor the boards now? I'm not sure how much you've looked around these boards, but I've done more than my fair share of supporting the game. I give credit where credit is due. So, yeah, I think I have the right to levy a legitimate criticism (and I think almost all of us can agree it's legitimate) without being called patronizing. You're free to disagree with me, but keep the personal attacks to yourself.

And by the way, some people come to these boards to find out if Gamma World is a good product. They deserve to hear about both the good and bad parts.

I'm not sure you can make that comparison with any sort of equality. A one-woman hobby effort (while great work) is not under the demands of deadlines, managers, executives and project re-tasking. In other words, Oraibi doesn't have to worry about marketing telling design that product A is tracking better than product C and therefore they are moving some of C's staff over to project A.

Publishing isn't a 21st century industry. it isn't even a 20th century industry. Publishing is still cleaving to a 19th century model. Things aren't done the way you'd often expect in publishing and I suspect less so when the parent corporation is a toy company used to a different kind of business.

Oddly, I submit that it is easier for one person to police their own work than it is for a strained team of editors to police the work of many on a constantly shifting basis of priority. This is, of course, all speculation as I have never worked for an RPG company.

But I do play one on TV. 
          Seriously? We're going to censor the boards now?

I'm not censoring you. I'm not asking any authority to censor you. I'm asking you to step away from the fan board if your general feeling is negative. Your comments have indicated a general displeasure with Gamma World. Your comments are emphasizing the negative, and you appear to be blind to the positive. So if you are that dissatisfied with the product, why are you here?
          • Skills (p178-179)
          • Feats (p 192)
          While generally less common in today's vernacular, Battles did use the word "patronizing" correctly.

pa·tron·ize 

(ptr-nz, ptr-)
          tr.v. pa·tron·ized, pa·tron·iz·ing, pa·tron·iz·es
          1. To act as a patron to; support or sponsor.

2. To go to as a customer, especially on a regular basis.

3. To treat in a condescending manner.

I'm not censoring you. I'm not asking any authority to censor you. I'm asking you to step away from the fan board if your general feeling is negative. Your comments have indicated a general displeasure with Gamma World. Your comments are emphasizing the negative, and you appear to be blind to the positive. So if you are that dissatisfied with the product, why are you here?

Thats a good question...
          Why did the hoop cross the road?

Ummm, He's here because he liked the product originally, he put tons of work into making something for the gaming community.  And this is a Gamma World board, not a Gamma World Fan Board, there is a difference.  He has just as much right to complain as you do to enjoy the game.  Maybe he likes the product a lot and he feels like the errors show just how little WotC cares and that upsets him.  Sense he hasn't said anything truly offensive I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to voice an opinion.

Ummm, He's here because he liked the product originally, he put tons of work into making something for the gaming community.  And this is a Gamma World board, not a Gamma World Fan Board, there is a difference.  He has just as much right to complain as you do to enjoy the game.  Maybe he likes the product a lot and he feels like the errors show just how little WotC cares and that upsets him.  Sense he hasn't said anything truly offensive I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to voice an opinion.

Right on...
          Why did the hoop cross the road?
          [Sense he hasn't said anything truly offensive I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to voice an opinion.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be allowed to.

I'm just suggesting that if he is no longer enjoying the game, perhaps he should just step away from it.
          • Skills (p178-179)
          • Feats (p 192)

I'm just suggesting that if he is no longer enjoying the game, perhaps he should just step away from it.

I enjoy the game plenty. I just have a problem with the low quality of the editing on Legion of Gold. I love how you took one comment I made and turned it into a "general feeling" I had that was negative. I suggest that you worry about yourself and stop telling other people how to go about their business.

I love how you took one comment I made and turned it into a "general feeling" I had that was negative.

One comment? The only comments you have made in the past two weeks have been negative. The only positive comments you've made in the month of February have been about your Originas half sheets (which are great, by the way). But one comment? If the only thing you had voiced was a displeasure with the editing of LoG, my impression of your feelings toward the game would be inappropriate. But it is not o"one comment" on the editing of LoG. It's a series of negative comments, each growing broader in scope than the editing of a single product:
          You don't see record companies misspelling song names or letting a junky drum track slide just because an artist is "an experimental side product" or "has fewer resources to work with."

It's clear that WotC doesn't take nearly enough pride in products like LoG (or the whole Gamma World line, for that matter).

If I was Rich Baker or Bruce Cordell, I'd be embarrassed at the way the final product turned out.

WotC knows they can shove whatever crap they want out the door and it'll still sell.

If you do enjoy the game, then step back from the negative comments instead of from the Boards. Your negative comments have already begun to feed themselves into more negative comments.
          • Skills (p178-179)
          • Feats (p 192)
          [Sense he hasn't said anything truly offensive I see no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to voice an opinion.

I don't see how not liking LoG is the same as not likeing Gamma World altogether.  

He didn't start a thread saying, Gamma World sucks, I hope WotC scraps the product altogether.  It seems he's more interested in the fact that WotC doesn't seem to be even taking the slightest look at their products before they decide to ship them. 
          I don't see how not liking LoG is the same as not likeing Gamma World altogether.

I don't either. I'm only basing my feedback on the things that he has written:

• His only complaint about LoG has been the editing.

• This editing displeasure appears to be sufficient for him to consider not even purchasing it.

• This editing displeasure appears to extend to all of Gamma World.

It's clear that WotC doesn't take nearly enough pride in products like LoG (or the whole Gamma World line, for that matter). Because if they did, they'd correct all the glaring errors.

So I agree with you. I don't see how not liking LoG is the saame thing as not liking Gamma World altogether, but he seems to have lumped the entire game into the same category as Legion of Gold, all because of editing errors.

It is possible that what we have witnessed is merely the unfortunate coincidence of a single post during a bad mood, a detail-oriented observer (who is an editor by profession), and a conversation topic escalated by all participants to a status much larger than anyone intended.
          • Skills (p178-179)
          • Feats (p 192)
          What kind of editing do you do?
          What kind of editing do you do?

Currently I'm working on four medical books with an emphasis on HIV. Here's a link to last year's edition of a book that I am doing the current edition for: MMHIV.

But in general, just about anything that pays my rate.

• Skills (p178-179)
          • Feats (p 192)
          You are freelance? I ask because I'm in a grad program for writing and publishing and may take an editing class next quarter.

If you are not enjoying his posts, why do you comment on them? Why can't you just post positively in support of what he's saying instead of being negative and telling him that his views are wrong?

AAAAAAnyway. I'm not happy with the lack of proper editing on the product, I don't care if there is one person doing it all and he's tied to the back of an enraged donkey or if there are fifty thousand people doing the editing and they're all hitting on brubbas.

The short and sweet fact of the matter at hand is that someone, somewhere really dropped the ball in the editing department on Gamma World. It's simple enough to read through and catch the blinding issues in LoG but less so in the core book where it describes rules that do not appear anywhere in the book.

If a game is touted as being a standalone product, it should have all the rules necessary to play that game. It should not be secretly assumed that everyone who buys the game will have the Rules Compendium. And if they have an errata board set up for the game, they should read over the errata reports and do something about it instead of remaining quiet and not producing errata.

WotC is one of the worst offenders of the "push it out the door, it's done regardless" syndrome. It shows in the Encounters products, Game Day products, and in their standard products. I guess when you're one of the leaders in the area, you can afford to ignore your customer base and just do whatever diddly you want and call it done.

At least they've produced errata for D&D and updated the rules. You won't see that happen for Gamma World since all indications are that it's not important to them. Therein lies our heartache.
          You make an interesting point, EZ. It occurs to me that given enthusiasm on the board for Gamma World and for other D&D products that aren't getting support one could assume WoTC isn't listening to the public.

However, my suspicion is that the boards reflect a very small percentage of those who buy WoTC products and that enthusiasm here does not necessarily translate into sales in the market.

Which isn't a reason to have sloppy editing, but it would explain why products seemingly popular here are not receiving support from HQ. 
          You make an interesting point, EZ. It occurs to me that given enthusiasm on the board for Gamma World and for other D&D products that aren't getting support one could assume WoTC isn't listening to the public.

The upcoming article on GW vehicles and the preview of the beastrider suggests otherwise.  Both vehicle and mount rules have been suggested on this message board in particular.  They also provide an easy to use interactive GW character sheet.  Somebody is listening.  As for the editing, no excuse, sloppy editing is just sloppy editing. 

The upcoming article on GW vehicles and the preview of the beastrider suggests otherwise.  Both vehicle and mount rules have been suggested on this message board in particular.  They also provide an easy to use interactive GW character sheet.  Somebody is listening.  As for the editing, no excuse, sloppy editing is just sloppy editing. 

Good things to be sure. I meant that I didn't think that WoTC was going to publish any more physical products for Gamma World. I have also heard essentials was done. I love the articles, but DDI alone does not make the bank. So, if it's popular here, that's great because we see new articles and such, but it may not translate into continued product support on the shelf; where the main thrust of the industry still is.

For now.

AAAAAAnyway. I'm not happy with the lack of proper editing on the product, I don't care if there is one person doing it all and he's tied to the back of an enraged donkey or if there are fifty thousand people doing the editing and they're all hitting on brubbas.

The short and sweet fact of the matter at hand is that someone, somewhere really dropped the ball in the editing department on Gamma World. It's simple enough to read through and catch the blinding issues in LoG but less so in the core book where it describes rules that do not appear anywhere in the book.

Hey EZ, it sounds like you really hate Gamma World as a whole. Maybe you should stop posting on the boards so the rest of us can keep blowing sunshine up people's butts. Wink

Hey EZ, it sounds like you really hate Gamma World as a whole. Maybe you should stop posting on the boards so the rest of us can keep blowing sunshine up people's butts.

He can post what he wants. Stop trying to censor him.

• Skills (p178-179)
          • Feats (p 192)
          He can post what he wants. Stop trying to censor him.

Crap, you're right!!!  Yell

Crap, you're right!!! 

I always am. Except when I'm not.

I'm sorry for hounding you, battles.
          • Skills (p178-179)
          • Feats (p 192)
          I'm sorry for hounding you, battles.

No worries. Personal clashes and mis-interpretations are par for the course when it comes to message boards. Your position came out of support for the game. I just hope you know that, despite my feelings on the editing issue, I mirror that support.

You both effect a healing surge and are no longer bloodied.
          You both effect a healing surge and are no longer bloodied.

Healing surges?  What're those?

THIS.  IS.  GAMMA TERRA.  (Outdated Meme Assault, Internet Troll Novice Power, At-Will Immediate Reaction)
          Your Gamma Terra may vary.

-Poster not responsible for loss, or gaining of extra limbs.

-Please wash after playing.

-Pregnant women should not use Gamma Terra.

-Gamma Terra contains a strange glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from space.

-Do not taunt Gamma Terra. 
          Sign In to post comments