Who quit DDI because of the move to online? Who stayed?

122 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm wondering how many people abandoned their DDI subscriptions after the move to online tools, and how many stayed. 

I quit. My reasoning: I'm not always online when I play D&D. Online only means if I don't have an internet connection I can't use my stored character sheet.
The cap to the number of characters you can have is already less than the total number of characters I have saved on the offline application. Sometimes I like to just make characters, and I don't want to have to delete old ones to experiment.

As a DM I kept it, as most places I play have Wi-Fi.  The limit didnt bother me as well, I am running 2 games as well as a few one offs, and I have 6 PCs from my main game, 4 from my other one and a few random characters that i play around with well under the limit of 20.

While I dislike online only over offline, it really didnt bother me much.  What bothers me the most is the Executioner not being in the CB yet ... grrrrr...

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

It had nothing to do with "online vs. offline," for me. Acknowledging that it's only my opinion and others have varying needs, of course, I could not have cared less how the content was delivered. It was a mix of several other things that prompted me to drop DDI.
I stopped my "Once every 4-5 months month long subscription" process once they went online. That is like 1/2 a person I guess?

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

I still have it. I originally got it because I have kept a Dragon subscription since 1983. That the price was about the same as my previous print subscription was fine. That it included Dungeon, the Compendium, an offline updatable Monster Builder and Character Builder was gravy.

Since then, I have changed my preferences. Now, the Compendium is invaluable to me, even moreso than the SRD was in 3e. I have it open during every game, whether I am playing or DMing. The Character Builder has become invaluable. Whether it is offline or online is immaterial to me.

I use the CB to maintain all of the PCs in my current game, and to maintain my own PCs in the games I play in. To me, it alone is worth the subscription price, and I am not affected nor worried by the online-only nature of it. The only thing that concerns me is the 20 character limit, but I understand this is likely to go away at some point.

For the time being, I'm keeping my subscription.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I kept mine. I actually like it better online. Once we get feature parity I'll delete the old builder entirely (for now I use it for workarounds and stuff).
Our entire group has left DDI.

We got tired of the silence broken only by half-truths, the sudden disposal of a functional character builder for a non-functional (for our needs, and actually NON-functional at first, at that!) version
designed solely to put the players in complete dependence on WotC/HASBRO (much like the draconian measures of the early GSL), and other rather reprehensible measures taken that just made DDI too much to stomach anymore.

I have no use for what I feel is ABUSE that WotC then demands that I PAY FOR.

(Plus, the Great Essentials Divide didn't help matters any, either.)

Mind you, we still play D&D, but we no longer use DDI, and we're greatly relieved that we no longer have to tolerate the constant feeling we were getting from WotC that we weren't playing their game "right" (and that they were going to alter the available tools so that our campaigns matched THEIR play-style rather than ours) and that by playing the game as the books were written was
WRONGBADFUN instead of their sweeping new shift to Essentials-style 4E.

We have no use for "fortune cards". We have no use for the seeming return of "Wizards rule, fighters drool". And we have no use for online-only tools when not everyplace we game has wi-fi, or even guaranteed internet access.

WotC and crew (and their apologists) can go have their version of D&D, we can go have ours.

After all, we still have all the hardcover 4E rulebooks
(and the offline CB, as well as a character builder by another company) published prior to Essentials  and the online-only nonsense. While new books would be nice, we really don't need them to play "our" D&D.
The sycophants and EULA quoters aren't worth our time. 4E =/= Essentials; Essentials =/= 4E. To WotC/DDI: GO "SOON" YOURSELVES. Internet Rule #41. Needs moar Desu. No exceptions.
It wasn't about online vs offline for me.  I didn't really care either way about that.

It was about a combination of a ghastly mess of a replacement for a reasonably functional program; slow, unreliable updates; slow, slow, SLOW bug fixing; godawful communication (varying from really stupid mistakes, miscommunication and silence to outright, apparently wilful deceit); and a decline in quality of the magazines.  Particularly in comparison to what I'm used to from the open source community, this looks really, really bad.

The only real attraction of DDI these days is the Compendium, and my completionism nagging at me to pick up the Dragon content I'm missing.  It's not persuaded me yet (particularly due to observing the reactions to the content, and the fact that nothing has yet come out for any of the classes/builds I'm interested in playing), and I doubt it will again in the future.

DDI would have to do something VERY special to get me back, probably involving allowing the community API access to develop their own digital tools.  But that's got about a snowball's chance in hell of happening.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

I quit - for the time being.  I'm waiting for most of the bugs to be worked out before I go back.  Also perhaps the VTT and Monster builder being up an running

Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
Oh, by the way, is the monster builder online? If so, how does it work? Is there a limit to the number of monsters you can build?

The existing offline monster builder is really all I need though, since it's been updated with MM3 design philosophy and math. 
me and my group have hardly noticed the difference
Oh, by the way, is the monster builder online? If so, how does it work? Is there a limit to the number of monsters you can build?

The existing offline monster builder is really all I need though, since it's been updated with MM3 design philosophy and math. 

Its not at a usable building state yet.  It's more of a monster viewer/customizer

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

I still get enough use out of it that I plan to keep it mainly for the compendium and the online CB works well enough for our current campaign.  Everyone in my group has wifi, but I don't like to bring my laptop to the table anyways.  Honestly I am only really unhappy that they are not putting out any good crunch in dragon.

I do kind of wish that the compendium worked on my kindle since that is the perfect size for viewing without getting in the way like a laptop does, but I might try one of the smartphone aps instead since that would be almost as readable.
I stopped my subscription after dark sun didn't get updated in the old cb. I just never renewed it.
Still here.  Have no issues with WotC's current direction concerning DDI.
I started using the CB after it went online. I wasn't able to get the offline version because I have a Mac.

Now I know that there were probably a bunch of things I could've used that would have allowed me to get the offline version, but at the time making characters really didn't matter to me.

I like the online version. I haven't found much to complain about, and when a bug does come up I can always print out what I'm missing from the Compendium. I'm almost always in a place with internet access. I love the fact that the monster builder is being moved online.
"Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” ~Mark Twain
So I know this isn't going to convince anybody one way or the other but I noticed this and figured I'd share: I just opened the builder for the first time since the update earlier this week and I have to say, I'm impressed with the speed increase.

I never had issues with the speed before but it is blazing fast for me now. 
I stopped my subscription after dark sun didn't get updated in the old cb. I just never renewed it.

This is the one thing that really makes me mad. We were told that the old CB would get the Dark Sun content as its last update, because it was the last book before the Essentials line.

And then it never came.

If I want Dark Sun content in my CB I have to manually add houserules, and even then it won't do the math for me. So it ends up being even more work than a paper sheet. 
I stopped mine for the time being. I'll give it a fresh look in a few months and see if it's worth it. 
Every time I go to cancel, something worthwhile pops up and I think maybe atleast the magazines will recover. I still use the offline CB, except for essentials stuff, considering how slow the online one is.
...We were told that the old CB would get the Dark Sun content as its last update, because it was the last book before the Essentials line.

And then it never came.

This is why I believe WotC should stop being so forthcoming.  Release stuff when it's done.  Stop making promises altogether.  Willie Wonka that ****.
Being an incurable optimist, I've stayed.
I've stayed solely for the compendium.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams
I quit because I am avid DRM-hater. Magazines were also going downhill. Compendium alone wasn't worth the price. I use the old CB and MB as my compendiums now.
Compendium alone is worth the price to me, if for nothing more than convenience in looking things up and automatic errata updates (as opposed to me having to fill my books with sticky notes).

Sure, there's nothing like lying on the floor with a bunch of books making a character, but there is the convenience aspect.  Especially since one time I managed to grab all of the pages except the first page of my character sheet when heading to a session - I borrowed the host's laptop, pulled up my OCB file, and wrote down the important numbers on the back of one of my other pages.  I wouldn't have been able to do that as conveniently under the old system if at all.

<---- Satisfied customer who is planning on renewing his yearly sub when it comes up again in June
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

This, though I echo the more negative posts on here (DrowBattlemind and Thunder_Dragonbane).

I'll very likely not renew when my subscription comes up soon. 
I canceled auto-renew when Dark Sun was 3 months late getting into the CB (we later found this was a lie) and the quality of the magazines were going to hell.  The actual move to the online builder didn't bother me, but the deception involved, and the willful withholding of content (which we were paying for) for the old CB really did: that was what turned me from a former-customer who might come back if it looked like it was worth it into an outspoken detractor, and someone who refuses to buy their physical products, even if they interest me (I would have bought the Monster Vault, for example)
I quit because having something that works even when the internet doesn't is massively more appealing than what we've got now. My current subscription was paid for by a player in my coming Dark Sun game for ease of character creation.

I would probably pay for it if A.) I had plenty of disposable income. It's not good enough to put it ahead of anything really - it's easy enough to make do with the old character builder or just working by hand. B.) If I was playing in and/or running a large number of games each week. or C.) If there started being enough content of quality that made it worthwhile.

As it is now, I use essentials Rules Compendium book any time I need to look something up and just make a ruling for anything that's unclear - usually going with whatever makes the situation more fun, but not easy, for my players. I hate having to look up rules during a game - it breaks the flow - so having the Compendium isn't worth it, and the Rules Compendium works just fine for me when I absolutely must look something up.

I usually find 0 articles each month truly grab my attention, so that's not really an incentive for me.

The Character Builder is the best thing about DDi. Character creation is the most difficult part about 4th edition because there's so many options and optional options on top of that. The rules to play this game are pretty darn straight forward and clear. That's why when you look at the amount of errata done it's the DMG that's got only 7 pages of errata while the PHB has 23. Core rules? Solid. Character creation? Convoluted.

I actually don't have a problem with that though. RPGs that offer this kind of immersion and structure have to put that crunch somewhere, and 4th edition loads it into things that are taken care of before play begins. I think that makes play run more smoothly. I like that.
I stopped paying when my 3 month sub came to an end in december.
I guess the reason is mostly that I did not think the CB online was really that great.
Perhaps I will try it once more later, just for a month.

If I could get only the CB for reduced cost, I'd probably sub right away, but I really don't have use for the magazines, or the monster builder.
I cancled my auto-renew back in November when the whole Dark Sun fiasco started. Even if I hadn't, the move online to a less functional version of the CB would have been the final straw in a long list of grievances I have with ddi.

If things improve I might come back.

-TC
They have made marked improvement in the OCB in the past couple months.  It's not as "less functional" as it used to be.  I mean, the old CB wasn't exactly bug-free.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I may or may not renew depending on the online CB support.  For now, I am INCREDIBLY frustrated that there is no text summary available when you finish a character build.  This makes porting a character into a PBP game very annoying and time consuming.

Some of this can be mitigated by building what can be built in the old CB, but for some characters even this isn't possible.

This should be a quick and easy update - a text summary of your character should not be difficult to add.
Every time I go to cancel, something worthwhile pops up and I think maybe atleast the magazines will recover. I still use the offline CB, except for essentials stuff, considering how slow the online one is.

My doesn't seem slow at all.  I wonder why your is?

This, though I echo the more negative posts on here (DrowBattlemind and Thunder_Dragonbane).

I'll very likely not renew when my subscription comes up soon. 

The CB irked me but being a computer junkie in a metroploitan area i always have internet so it doesn't really effect me. :p The Monster builder I'm wait-and-see and the VT as well with a slight bit more apathy (already got maptools). 

The only thing that has got me irked is that I want my freaking Executioner. RIGHT NOW! And if you have so little content then stop ignoring my emails and drunk dials WOTC! I will gladly write 100 or so pages about Changelings, Seekers, and Changeling Seekers who MCed Runepriest. :p 
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."-Douglas Adams
They have made marked improvement in the OCB in the past couple months.  It's not as "less functional" as it used to be.  I mean, the old CB wasn't exactly bug-free.

Agreed. I used it last night to put together three characters and found it to be perfectly acceptable. It still doesn't run as fast the downloaded CB - adjusting stats plus or minus causes it to pause after each press of a button - but it's within reason and there's very little I'll have to correct on the sheets when I print them out.

If the cost were no issue with my finances, I'd probably subscribe. If there were more than the CB that made things worth the price of admission, I'd definitely subscribe and it'd move higher up the list on my "for fun" purchases. 
I cancelled my subscription back in September when they stopped updating the old CB. I renewed for one month to see the new online CB and saw it was less functional than the offline CB. Luckily I'm able to mod the old CB. One of our players has a sub for the few things we're missing but printing from the online CB is like getting kicked in the nuts alone, not to mention its many other failings.

I actually just got an invite for the VTT Beta and I have no intention of using it. Maybe I'll come back once the VTT AND MB are out of Beta and functional. Also once we can use house rules in the CB (something the old CB could do from day one). Since Dragon Mag has also sucked for the last 5 months or so there's been little to no reason to keep the subscription up.

I will say this though, Customer Service was very quick and responsive about my refund for the last month of my two years of subscription. So yeah... that was nice. 
I stayed.  Online or offline makes exactly zero difference to me.  I have internet access where I play and if I didn't I would just print out my character.  I don't need the CB during the game.  Likewise the 20 character limit isn't a problem either.  I like to experiment too, but I have no problem with deleting an old character whom I am never going to actually use to make room for another. 

The bugginess was an issue at first and the lack of features, but it was (marginally) good enough for me to use, so I gave it a couple of months and the bugginess has ironed itself out (at least for me).  So overall, while I can't say I am particularly happy with the current offline cb, neither am I particularly unhappy.  Right now it's 'meh' as far as I am concerned.  I am right on the fence but staying for now, since I do find it useful.  
If I could afford to pay, I would subscribe.  As others have said, the compendium alone is awesome.  Toss in the other stuff and it is a very sweet deal.
If I could afford to pay, I would subscribe.  As others have said, the compendium alone is awesome.  Toss in the other stuff and it is a very sweet deal.

Automobile radiator fluid is very sweet, too. Doesn't keep it from being a lethal poison.

The sycophants and EULA quoters aren't worth our time. 4E =/= Essentials; Essentials =/= 4E. To WotC/DDI: GO "SOON" YOURSELVES. Internet Rule #41. Needs moar Desu. No exceptions.

Automobile radiator fluid is very sweet, too. Doesn't keep it from being a lethal poison.

Do they need to put warning labels on DDI now?

"Do not attempt to drink the Character Builder."

My doesn't seem slow at all.  I wonder why your is?

Probably cause I'm from canada and don't live in Toronto or Ottawa.

It does seem faster then what I first tried it, but the delay for every selection is annoying enough to prefer to use the old CB, which i've never had an issue with.
Sign In to post comments