How much use did your group get out of their Fortune Deck?

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well only two people showed up with a deck and for the most part they forgot they even had them.

Human Ranger
Keira
Brandis (deck)
Human Spring Sentinel
Elf Spring Sentienl (deck)
Human Mage

Its was only the first session, lots of details to go over and some trying new classes.
I guess I have to wait and see how the other sessions go and if they will make more use of the cards.

We had enough players show up to field two parties.  With my party, the cards didn't make too much of an impact.  Our Mage used a '+2 to an At-Will power attack' but rolled high enough to hit anyways, and our Rogue used a card to gain combat advantage.

In the other group, however, a key card play was instrumental in ending the encounter.  One of the characters strode out into the river and was attacked by most of the stirges!  In response, he played a card that granted a bonus to attacks for his party against any enemy adjacent to him (I don't know the exact card name, I heard this after the fact), which allowed them to quickly kill the stirges and won him the Moment of Greatness.

"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
Sadly our store didn't have the cards in yet for us to buy and build our own decks, but our DMs let us draw from a communal deck using the preview packs they got a couple of weeks ago. For my table, we used none of the cards we drew, as none of them matched our abilities, positioning, or opportunity.
My table had 8 PCs, 4 of which were players in the last season and already have fortune cards. Not a single player used them, or even had a deck ready. Considering I was teaching 2 players the basics of RPGs (completely new to the concept) it was probably for the best.
Yes, I am a defender apologist. A Rock and a Hard Place: A Warden Handbook
Three of us at my table had decks, but I think only one of us pulled a card that was of any use at the time.

Personally, I think the deck is just one more thing for me to keep track of. As it is, I can have trouble remembering feat effects and magic item powers. I just know I'm going to go a few rounds before I remember to draw a card... 
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
My store comped the "veteran" players two packs each (except me since I was the DM last season and got 2 packs as part of Wizards awesome thank you) .  For the most part the cards were useless since what we drew was never a help at that moment.
Before I give my answer to the OP question, I would like to give a quick shout out of "Thank You" to Wayne at Dueling Grounds in Toronto who graciously gave each of the players that showed up for the start of season 4 a complimentary pack.

I think it will take a while for the players to get used to using them as I noticed often times a player would forget to turn over or burn a card that they didn't want on their turn. As a DM, that is one thing that I don't want to keep track off.
I think I only had 3 players using fortune cards (though all of them had gotten complimentary packs a couple sessions prior).  I think only one player was remembering to draw them, and he only used one card for the session.

--As to which card he used, it was careful aim with his dragonbreath... Not because he needed to use it, but because the mage had hit him the previous turn with burning hands..  So he just wanted to show the mage that he had better control of his breath weapon when he included her in the blast.   So this would be a case of the fortune card actually playing to add to the story, instead of just a random benefit.

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

There were two tables here last night and I gave a pack to every player (one was a DM for the last 3 seasons so he already had 2) and encouraged everyone to try and use them (instead of the past season reward cards).

At my table, I had 2 people brand new to D&D and one of them opted not to open her pack as it was just one more extra thing to try and use/remember/learn.

For the rest of the table, one guy used 2 cards... nobody else had anything appropriate. It is too early to tell how they will work out.. as a DM I find they add one more distraction to the players but that may also diminish as they get more used to playing them.
I think only two players in our group used a card in the first session. I was one of them. My character was a Rogue (Thief) and I played the card that allowed me to have Combat Advantage, so it was really helpful. I think we'll see more players using them as the season progresses.
- Rico
I only had one table of three players. 1 player used the 2 booster pack method to build their deck and the two others took a random (but legal) assortment of cards to build a ten card deck. In the epic battle for session 1 a total of 1 card was used.
Details of the card's use

It did make a difference though. It was Careful Aim (#1) that let the Mage omit one creature from the powers area of effect so he was able to kill the stirge on a horse while leaving the horse safe and sound.
The owner of the store I played at gave everyone a booster.  Most of the time, players forgot they were even there.  I only played one card, which gave me 3 temp hp for not attacking, but at that point the battle was nearly won.
Only two of the four people at my table had a stack of cards.  The Dragonborn had a "Careful Aim" card that allowed her to attack a stirge leeching a horse.   The warlock has something that gave him combat advantage one attack.  Thats it, players seem intent on holding a card they like and saving it at all costs.  At least so far!
Our store said the cards won't be released until 15 February, which a seemed bit silly, since all of the marketing and twitter buffs assume we have them. I'm mostly curious how these additional options are going to affect the speed of play with new players.
No one in my group had a deck or even showed intrest in obtaining and using one (despite the fact that the store owner had them and was offering a substantial discount).

While I'm not against the cards as the DM I'm glad I didn't have to deal with yet another thing to keep track of. 
No one in my group had a deck or even showed intrest in obtaining and using one (despite the fact that the store owner had them and was offering a substantial discount).

While I'm not against the cards as the DM I'm glad I didn't have to deal with yet another thing to keep track of. 

They're really not anything hard to keep track of. For instance, here is the card I played last night:

(Attack)
PHANTOM ALLY
Play at the star of your turn.
During this turn, you gain combat advantage against the targets of your at-will attack powers.

All of the onus for keeping track of it is really on the player, not the DM.
- Rico
The cards were used at least once by each of the players at my table.  One in particular had a big impact.  It allowed the player to target the stirge's will instead of AC with his At-Will attacks.  Since the stirge had the horse grabbed it gained a +5 AC and was causing trouble for the group.  With this Fortune card the player successfully saved the horse when otherwise it was looking rather grim.

The cards are a great  addition and give the player that extra feeling of "heroic-ness" when the dice sometimes neglects them.
Not much really. I actually only remember what cards I played but I don know a couple of folks played cards to but not for any note worthy effect.  starting this week Im taking a log to record everyone's fortune card plays for tracking though.

Here is how my cards played.

Turn one turned up Mind over metal, activated it at start of my turn attacked a stirge locked onto a character but still missed, DM told me that if it had not had the AC bonus due that that my roll of 4 would have been a hit.

Turn two turned up a Gamblers dodge and decided to hold it incase I was hit

Turn three encounter was defeated before my turn.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

At my table, everyone had the complementary boosters but only two (out of eight) people even remembered they had them, and neither one actually played a card. The combat was pretty easy, though, so maybe they'll come up in a tougher encounter.
Now if only the Fortune Cards had made it to the Netherlands in time for the encounter season, then I might have had something interesting to add here... Will have to wait and hope for next week....
To DME, or not to DME: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous powergaming, Or to take arms against a sea of Munchkins, And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;No more;
4 players  and only 1 had any cards.

He didn't remember to use the cards until midway through the 2nd encounter session.
James Playing D&D since the Red Box of '83.
5 players, all using moderately tuned decks - a net total of about 3 packs of cards per player, and we all traded with each other to build up each deck. 2 players went with 20 cards, the rest of us used 10.

I was the only player to use any of the cards I drew (2x Phantom Ally), and of the 3 attack rolls made with those plays, only 1 attack roll was a hit because of the CA granted.

So far, very little impact.
I DM'd two separate groups last night.  The second group only 1 player had cards and it was just one booster, he never used any.

The first group everyone had cards except one player, and only one player had a constructed deck (as opposed to just one promo pack of cards).  The only card used was a "Gambler's Effort" by a dual axe wielding ranger with heat metal on one of his axes and ended up double striking for about 40 damage in total.

5 players in my party.  All had played before. I was the only without cards.  As others have observed, the cards were forgotten more often than not.  No more than two cards were played.  I think the cards detract from the "ingame" play experience.  We tend to be more distracted than ever as a general society. I have seen a lot of players (including myself), both young and old, have trouble focusing. 

The cards seem to be either just another source of distraction, or just another overlooked option in a game that already has a lot of options.

The concept of the renown cards as part of organized play is a good idea. But more as boons or player awards.  Buying scads of cards does not appeal to me personally. In terms of supporting the store, I'll buy source books or new the DM screen before I purchase cards.
While I am willing to use Fortune cards in other games, I'm absolutely sticking with my Enchanted Heirloom reward card this season. The absolute reliability it brings to my game so offsets its once per session use.

During chapter 1, our table decided to field test the cards by building a table deck that everyone drew from.  After separating the wheat from the chaff - and there's a ton of chaff - we ended up with 20 cards in a deck.  Six players at every game, four games, and we never exhausted the deck. 

We measured usage by the discard pile, which averaged 5-7 cards, most of which were from people discarding and trying to get something new/useful.

In general, I don't care for them.  I think they're distracting to players more often than not, and they create an artificiality to the roleplaying experience.  By which I mean I've yet to see them provide a flavorful, in game effect.

In a long running home game where players have built there own decks, I can see where they might provide a fun random effect. 

An interesting experiment but I prefer the encounters tweets or the Gamma World decks.

After having the fortune cards used for 4 sessions... and a good mixture of experienced Encounters Players, New to Encounters Players and totally new to D&D Players....  I find they are not adding any value. 

The experienced players don't bother with them anymore (instead going back to reward cards) and I have had new players ask me if they can NOT use them..... as they found it added another thing to try and remember and another complexity to the game that they did not want while trying to learn.

As someone who organizes and runs the Encounter program for the FLGS, I'd really prefer if WotC went back to the Encounter Rewards cards from the previous seasons (yes, I know, they are trying to squeeze out every dollar that they can).

Of the 2 gaming stores in the city, one (the one we run Encounters at) is not even bringing any in for sale (and I run 3 tables weekly).  The other one, that isn't running encounters, is part of a chain so brought in 6 packages (not boxes.. but individual pacakges).
I'm want to be upfront that I have a bias against fortune cards.

Everyone but me at the my regular table uses them, and has built custom decks  We have not been been pushed really hard by any of the battles so far, but these players do seek to use the cards.  They usually come up 1-3 times a game and have a slight effect.  I could see how difficult combats with very litttle margin for error could be influenced by the cards.

In an effort to overcome my bias and support the store, I bought two decks.  To my chagrin, I don't have enough attack cards to make a viable deck.  I got one attack card in two packs. So do I keep buying packs, probably needing 2-3 more to create a legal deck, or just buy a rules compendium as I had originally intended to do? 

It is a way for FLGS to sell product.  There is real potential for Wotc to sell a lot of packs.  How well it is working is hard to say.  If I play through the whole season I am definitely going to ask the store owners how it worked for them.  I'm not sure if this is the best way to generate long term interest in new players.  I'd still like to see WotC try nominal coupons for D&D product in future encounters. 
My store bought two boxes, they sold the first, but the second still there, and my player don't seem to care for them. So, just to get a feel for them, I made a 20 card deck and handed one card to each player at the start of the session and let them decide to use them, trade or discard. Since most have earned the first card and I wanted them to get some use for them.  today's session there was a lot more cards  played then previous sessions. I am going to tried this a couple more times, and they see if they still want to use them.
In an effort to overcome my bias and support the store, I bought two decks.  To my chagrin, I don't have enough attack cards to make a viable deck.  I got one attack card in two packs. So do I keep buying packs, probably needing 2-3 more to create a legal deck, or just buy a rules compendium as I had originally intended to do?

Another option that the players at my store have taken to is trading the cards. You have 2 packs and not enough attack cards for a legal deck? Then you must have a good number of extra defenses and tactics that you could trade to someone else to get a playable deck.
I did not try and trade with my party members, but last night I did pull out my cards and and say feel free to take anything you want.  Zero interest.  One guy has a custom deck for each build he might possibly play in MotPB.   I thought they would at least poach a few good cards for their decks.  

I don't think the cards came into play last night at all.  We got our butts kicked by those brutes, and if we ever needed an advantage it was last night. 

Here is my 2 coppers on the Fortune card thing.

I don't think they work. I have purchased about 10 packs to build a good deck to use in encounters and LFR. I think I have a pretty good deck to use, but I am finding that the cards just are not fun to use. Rarely they give me a small boost in power, but mostly they contribute very little to the game. My home group has gone back to using the "old LFR reward cards" for home play.

I will continue to purchase some fortune cards, and I want to support WoTC in thier efforts to expand the game in new and interesting directions. I like the idea of card use in D&D (collectable or otherwise) and I think the Fortune Card idea could work with a bit of tweaking. Here are some of my biggest problems:

1. For a cooprative game the cards do not seem very cooprative. With the LFR cards you could give others a die bump after you used the card. This was very helpful, sometimes too powerful, but this mechanic worked well. Fortune Cards seem to be missing any of this sort of interactivity.

2. Drawing cards at the start of your turn needs to go away. It slows down the game and when people are house ruling ways of dealing with it (peaking, drawing at the end...) you know you need to fix something.

3.  Only having one card that you cycle every turn is boring and frustrating. You really have to go out of the way to make some of them usable, and while it adds some randomness and chaos to the game they rarely add fun. I have yet to see ANYONE discribe the cards as "fun" to use. More often then not I just discarded a card last turn that would have been useful. Some mechanic where you have (1) of each card type (attack, defence, tactic) but can only play (1) a turn and then re-fresh the (3) once a round might be better?

I like the idea of the cards, Fortune Cards feel like a "test the waters" move anyways. I think WotC is close to a good idea, they just need to tweak them. If they do another set, maybe change the rules, make them more co-op friendly, and adjust how the decks work. I feel like it is not the cards themselves that are causeing any problems at the tables, just their current implementation.

People have stopped using cards. There where several users week 1, but each week we saw fewer and fewer players use them. The rewards are likely to become eBay sale items of the players that win them. It is rather disappointing. We actually have had people not play because of the existance of the cards. Some consider it a blantant gimmick to make money.

Actually, that's only necessary if you want to build a custom deck. Per the rules, there are two ways to use the cards. The first way is, "You can use all the cards of one or more Dungeons & Dragons Fortune Cards boosters as your deck." If do that, a single pack of 8 cards (even with only one attack card) is a legal deck. Now, building a custom deck may be the better way, but it isn't necessary.
- Rico
We actually have had people not play because of the existance of the cards. Some consider it a blantant gimmick to make money.

I don't understand that sentiment. If someone doesn't want to use the cards, they don't have to. But to decide not to play because someone else is using the cards is like saying that you won't play because someone is using options from a particular source book and you're not.

- Rico
We actually have had people not play because of the existance of the cards. Some consider it a blantant gimmick to make money.

I don't understand that sentiment. If someone doesn't want to use the cards, they don't have to. But to decide not to play because someone else is using the cards is like saying that you won't play because someone is using options from a particular source book and you're not.

Some people still play only 1st Edition (Or 2nd, or 3/3.5) because "all other editions" are just a way to make money.  In fact evey book over the "core" books are easily in the same boat.  If thats the only way of thinking, then so be it, you'll never change their minds.

In our store, the owner actually give out the 1st pack to players for free!  Even better, packs or cards from a random pack are rewards from the DM for cool RP or cool actions!

My table sees each player playing 1-2 cards per encounter.  They've pooled some cards to build decks (and traded), so each player has some favorites they hope to get or keep in hand.  We were all afraid of some potential unbalancing, but so far its been nothing but great fun!
Hi TheGimper,
   I didn't state it exactly correctly. There where two problems, according to the people who hate the cards - rather than most people at our store now who just think that they are not that interesting. Note: while I understand their opinion, it is not my opinion.
    1). The Fortune Cards are viewed as a gimmick to make money for Wizards by making collectible cards that people have to buy. This is a no brainer - of course that it is what they are.  But, the whole game is a gimmick to make money for Wizards, so ....
    2). That it is not fair to have some people play with cards and others not play with cards. This I must agree with. I played several games with the cards when they first came out and where popular. They make a difference - a rather large difference - in the power and options of the characters. So, it is less that some players are using a source book that you are not, but that some have a Theme from Dark Sun - with the extra power and options, but you don't.
   Now, many players that just didn't want to deal with the hassle of the cards had no trouble with other characters having them. It was like having your Cleric have a potent magic item that you can't use yourself. It still helps the party. In fact many of the Rewards from the Points in Encounters all went to the characters that could use the cards the best for the good of the party.
    As a DM, I did have to take into consideration the additional power of the cards - a rogue suddenly getting CA, a character getting a reroll, an extra Second Wind or shifting 6 squares across the battle can have a big effect on the fight. I had some ideas to balance the added power of the cards, but since no one that I play with now wants to bother with the cards, it is a moot issue.
    I hope this clears it up. Most of the players that left have come back now that the cards are a moot point or have joined other games at the store. Note: People LOVE Gamma World cards, that is a Podog of a completely different color.
Hi TheGimper,
   I didn't state it exactly correctly. There where two problems, according to the people who hate the cards - rather than most people at our store now who just think that they are not that interesting. Note: while I understand their opinion, it is not my opinion.
    1). The Fortune Cards are viewed as a gimmick to make money for Wizards by making collectible cards that people have to buy. This is a no brainer - of course that it is what they are.  But, the whole game is a gimmick to make money for Wizards, so .... 

Precisely. Everything they do is to make money. That's what businesses are all about. They aren't putting out D&D products out of the goodness of their hearts to provide fun for those of us who like it. If it wasn't profitable they would stop.

2). That it is not fair to have some people play with cards and others not play with cards. This I must agree with. I played several games with the cards when they first came out and where popular. They make a difference - a rather large difference - in the power and options of the characters. So, it is less that some players are using a source book that you are not, but that some have a Theme from Dark Sun - with the extra power and options, but you don't.

And that is what I think is completely wrong. It's looking at the game the wrong way. If the game was about a particular player winning, that would be a valid argument. But that's not what this game is about. It's about the whole party succeeding, and anything that helps the party succeed is a good thing. And as you noted, they did help the party succeed. To use your example, if someone has "a Theme from Dark Sun - with the extra power and options, and [i] don't" if it helps the party succeed, it helps me. So why should I complain?  Like I said, I think that's completely wrong headed, and misunderstands the point of the game.

- Rico
Hi Rico,
    I understand. I not agree with their opinions, but I understand why they have them. Also, they have not left the game of Dungeons and Dragons, just games that have the cards. The power issue with the cards is one thing that I had to take notice of. With the mixed groups, it was not so much a matter of "You have cards, I don't, that isn't fair". It was "I don't want to bother with the cards, but if I don't then I am not pulling my weight or I'm losing out". Note: I'm talking about the players that where so-so on the Fortune Cards here, not the people that Hated them. The powers of the cards can be cool, so the people who didn't want to bother with them, felt that they had to in order to have a cool character.
   Also, from a DM stand point, I found that the cards had a big effect on increasing the power of the characters. I could easily put another monster or two in the mix and if people where using the cards almost ever round, that was a good balance function. With more than half the players pulling some advantage out of the cards each round - some quite major, like Rerolls, 6 square shifts and better Second Winds - that had a major effect. As it seems that most players are not aggressively using the cards, that balance is different. I never had a chance to study the cards in play in this Season of Encounters, because by then the novelty of the cards had started to wane.
Just started useing the cards in my home game, and now even the people who were opposed to them now like them.  No one plans on spending a fortune on them (pardon the pun), but a couple of packs each, and perhapse one here or there as a treat was the table's concensus.  The thing the players liked is it gave them a tiny edge, since only 1-2 cards per fight seem to come into play.  Better yet they love that it tends to actually speed the game up a bit.   I love anything that speeds the game up.

As for DDE most of the players have earned their 1st card.  Players -love- earning swag.  DDE has been no exception.  As I've mentioned elsewhere, I allow my players to use one of their other reward cards earned in season 1-3 of DDE also, but still only one or the other during any turn.

I do find it a bit sad that people would really hate the cards so much as to not play at a table where they are allowed.  Its optional, not required. 

As to talk of "balancing power" there is no need.  The buffs are not anywhere enough where you need to "buff" the monsters to compensate.  So I really don't think thats an issue.

My advice:  Make the pitch to use them or not, ask players to be reasonable and allow those who do to not suffer for the choice.  And just play D&D!  Its a fun game no matter the edition, cards, minis or whatnot!  Just have fun and go with the flow!
The thing the players liked is it gave them a tiny edge, since only 1-2 cards per fight seem to come into play. 

My advice:  Make the pitch to use them or not, ask players to be reasonable and allow those who do to not suffer for the choice.  And just play D&D!  Its a fun game no matter the edition, cards, minis or whatnot!  Just have fun and go with the flow!

Exactly. Tonight during the Encounters session I drew three cards total. I only played one, and it ended up having no impact on the combat at all because it was a card that prevented me from granting combat advantage when flanked until the start of my next turn, but I didn't even get flanked.
- Rico