02/10/2011 FtL: "Eulaliaaaaaaaaaaa!"

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Great article.  The minute i saw the title i was reminded of Sunflash the Mace from The Outcast of Redwall, which was the only one i ever read.  But that certainly was his battlecry.  I personally though always was a fan of 'Autobots, Transform and roll out!'
I like fun, but competitive decks. So I might not play what is optimal but they have normally been tested to have a 2/3 winrate.
This is the first time an article on here has made me sad. I hadn't known Brian Jaques had died.

Eulalia is a great battle cry, but my favorites come from Warhammer 40K. Specifically the Orkish WAAAAAAGH!! and the Khornate "Blood for the blood god! Skulls for the skull throne!"
Micorku's World Bits - A Vorthos writing about various creative topics. Updates sporadically Iroas - The world needs heroes - will you answer the call? There is also an RPG that is in Pre-Alpha stage.
"Yawp" may be a reference to an old favorite of mine, Alley Oop.  I forget whether it was him, his dinosaur, or both who received that exact onomatopoeia.

The presence of Goblin Wardriver in the Dwarf deck makes me think of the hilarious Goblins of the Flarg from Magic's richly flavorful early days.  The moment they printed Imagecrafter, it became possible to turn the Flargs into dwarves so they would stab themselves.  Good times.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

My favorite battle cry would probably have to be that of Richard from Looking for Group: "For pony!"

Mana Myr in the Knights deck?  Knight of the White Orchid seems so much better.
The end is always nigh.
Great tribute to Brian Jacques. The Redwall books were a huge part of my childhood and I have continued to read them even though I'm in my 20's now. He will be missed.

As to the war-cries, I've got a few, though Eulalia definitely takes the cake. Speaking of which, anyone know the pronunciation? When I was little I always pronounced it closer to 'Hallelujah'. Is it 'Yoo-la-lee-ah'?

Anyway, the other ones.

1. Aure Entuluva! (Day will come again!) from The Silmarillion
2. For Gondor! (yes more LOTR, what can I say, Tolkien knows a good battle-cry).
3. Banzai! (meaning ten-thousand years). I don't know, always just seemed like a badass thing to say.
4. Basically anything Arnold Schwarzenager says in Conan: The Barbarian.

Honorable Mention: Leerrrrrroooooooyyyyyyyyyyy, well, you know the rest. I don't even play WoW, but damn it if that phrase isn't catchy.
SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!
"Yawp" may be a reference to an old favorite of mine, Alley Oop.  I forget whether it was him, his dinosaur, or both who received that exact onomatopoeia.

"Barbaric yawp" is a reference to Walt Whitman - "I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world."
Great tribute to Brian Jacques. The Redwall books were a huge part of my childhood and I have continued to read them even though I'm in my 20's now. He will be missed.

As to the war-cries, I've got a few, though Eulalia definitely takes the cake. Speaking of which, anyone know the pronunciation? When I was little I always pronounced it closer to 'Hallelujah'. Is it 'Yoo-la-lee-ah'?

I know of two of Brian Jacques Redwall books which were made into cartoon series: the original book (now subtitled Where Legends are Made) and one subtitled Mattimeo. At the end of each cartoon, Brain Jacques himself would talk a little bit about the book or about one thing or another related to it. In one of these times he himself issued the war cry Eulalia. He pronounced it you-LAY-lee-ah.

PS: I too have read all of his Redwall books and will miss him dearly.

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

"Yawp" actually reminded me of Dr. Seuss--though it should have been spelled "yop" for that. I had a chuckle over thinking of that as a battle cry.

Sad to hear about Jacques; his stuff was my first introduction to longer-format novels and series, and I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

SPOON made me laugh and think of "Go Team Venture!".

I missed the news about Jacques, very sad to hear, but he's left us some wonderful books. 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013
my favorite battle cry ever? actually, it's the name of this article. 

RIP Brian Jacques, EULALIAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Favorite battle cries ever?

From Tolkien's Middle-Earth:

"Baruk Khazad!  Khazad Ai-manu!!"  
    -Trans from Dwarvish:  "Axes of the Dwarves!  The Dwarves are upon you!"

"Aurë entuluva!" 
    -from The Silmarillion, this was the despairing battle-cry of Hurin at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad (Battle of Unnumbered Tears).  It is Sindarin (Grey-Elvish) for "Day shall come again!", and he cried it seventy times as he smote seventy of the Trolls of Gothmog before he was captured.  He had lost his brother and all his friends and family were slaughtered around him.

From Warhammer 40K, I'm always partial to the battle cry of the Berserkers of Khorne (as given above), or that of the devout followers of the God-Emperor:

"Burn the heretic.  Kill the mutant.  Purge the unclean.  FOR THE EMPEROR!"

And another favorite is from Stephen R. Donaldson's "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever", which as far as I can tell no one but me, in the history of the world, has ever read.  But there is a set of eldritch "power words" which, when chanted by a wise and skilled practitioner of magic arts, can enhance one's powers in mystical combat.  They are:

"Melenkurion abatha!  Duroc minas mill khabaal!"

^_^  always thrills me! 

@Robram:   you might enjoy this.  plif.courageunfettered.com/archive/wc067...

@orcishartillery:  right you are!  
And another favorite is from Stephen R. Donaldson's "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever", which as far as I can tell no one but me, in the history of the world, has ever read.

I have, actually. I didn't really enjoy it, though--it turned me off the same way The Lord of the Rings did. I had to force myself to finish it.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Wow. I didn't know he'd died. Sad to hear it. I've read maybe a dozen of this series - I'm going to have to check out the rest from the library.  

Eulalia is one of my favorite battle cries (along with "Give 'em blood and vinegar!", which went with it). Although instead of a bunch of Goblins saying it in the first pic, it should have been a Giant Badger or a Rock Badger.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned famous comic book ones like

• Avengers Assemble!

• It's Clobberin' Time!

• Flame On!

• In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!

• HULK SMASH!!!!

• This is a job for Superman

• Oh my stars and garters 

Some other famous ones -

• Remember the Alamo!

• Bonzai!

• Geronimo!

• Hooah! (and all variants)

• FALCON PUNCH!

And another favorite is from Stephen R. Donaldson's "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever", which as far as I can tell no one but me, in the history of the world, has ever read.

I have, actually. I didn't really enjoy it, though--it turned me off the same way The Lord of the Rings did. I had to force myself to finish it.

Wow.  Really?  That's sort of hard for me to believe - they're so vastly different in tone, purpose, and construction.  I suppose they have being fantasy epics in common.  I can't imagine what else!
Now that I think about it, I do like some battle cries....the Vikings had a lot of awesome ones, of course, and I hope that if we ever get to visit Valla, we might see battle cry reappear there.  But my favorite one is unfortunately not conducive to text, as it just comes out as "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"....to know what I'm talking about, you have to have played "Deadlock, Planetary Conquest".  It's the sound the Tarth warriors make when they use their Juggernaut special.  They just run all over the battlefield crashing into the enemy's buildings while this sound plays continuously from start to finish, often in stereo if you have a bunch of dudes doing it.  Hilarious!
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi