Creature height and area bursts

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
In 4th Edition, I'm wondering how character height works with regard to centering a burst. The psion's Dimensional Scramble power can teleport all creatures in an area burst 1 to a square outside the burst: 

Dimensional Scramble

Your attack causes space to jumble and fragment, scattering creatures into different positions.

At-Will        Augmentable, Implement, Psionic, Teleportation
Standard Action      Area burst 1 within 10 squares

Target: Each creature in the burst

Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude

Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier damage, and you teleport the target to a square adjacent to the burst.

--- 

I want to teleport enemies straight up into the air, so they will fall prone and take falling damage (if they fail their saving throw). 

Now, if I center the burst one square above an enemy (say, a regular orc), the enemy is entirely inside the burst. I can teleport it 4 squares above the ground, so it will fall 3 squares = 15 feet = 1d10 damage. So obviously, I want to teleport it one more square up so it takes 2d10 damage. 

A regular orc is about 6 foot in height. Here's my question: if I center the burst 2 squares from the ground right on top of an enemy, is it considered to be in the burst? Only its head, neck and shoulders are in the burst, is this enough to teleport its entire body? Does the attack even hit/damage it? 

Same question for Large and bigger enemies, who are usually 10 feet or larger. If I have half (or less) of their body inside the burst, can I damage and teleport the entire body?
A Medium creature (suc as an orc) occupies one 5-foot cube.  It is only in the burst 1 if it is centred on the ground or one square above the ground.  The creature's actual height is irrelevant in game terms (except for jumping up to catch a ledge, but how often does that happen?).  If the burst does not enter the creature's space, the creature is unaffected.

A Large creature occupies a 2X2X2 cube, and so would be in a burst 1 centred 2 squares up.  If any single square (or cube, in this case) of a multi-square creature is in a burst, it is affected as normal.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Thanks a lot, you turn out to be a well of knowledge
Keep in mind that if you teleport things into the air, they get a saving throw to avoid being teleported at all. 
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
And unlike with forced movement, they don't fall prone if the save succeeds.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Well, they still take the 1d6+int damage regardless of saves, and it's cool enough to try even if it only works half the time. 
A Medium creature (suc as an orc) occupies one 5-foot cube.  It is only in the burst 1 if it is centred on the ground or one square above the ground.  The creature's actual height is irrelevant in game terms (except for jumping up to catch a ledge, but how often does that happen?).  If the burst does not enter the creature's space, the creature is unaffected.

A Large creature occupies a 2X2X2 cube, and so would be in a burst 1 centred 2 squares up.  If any single square (or cube, in this case) of a multi-square creature is in a burst, it is affected as normal.

How did you come to this conclusion? the cube distinction.
These are the rules of the game as I understand them.  I couldn't quote chapter and verse, because I'm still waiting (after nearly a month) for my copy of the RC to arrive at my FLGS.  I'll have to leave that to someone else.
Bursts/Blasts/Creatures being cubes, A History:

While it was discussed extensively at release and people ruled it different ways, there was a developer Podcast in  2009 which explicity stated if you were operating in 3D everything was cubes. This wasn't RAW, at the time, but it made RAI abundantly clear.

Now the RC actually says this explicitly.
How did you come to this conclusion? the cube distinction.

From the forum FAQ (if desired):
'What area do creatures occupy in a 3-D environment? A cube. RC p.200 says "A creature's space is the area, measured in squares, that the creature  occupies on the battle grid. This area represents the three-dimensional space that the creature needs to take part in an encounter, allowing it to turn around attack, fall prone, and so on. Despite the cubic shape of its space, a creature is not actually a cube (unless it's a gelatinous cube)".  Also, the 5/10/10 podcast states that medium (and small) characters occupy a 5'x5'x5' square regardless of their actual height'

'How do area effects function in a 3-D environment?: Since vertical distances are measured the same as horizontal distances, they take on a cube shape. Discussed in the 5/10/10 podcast.'